Terraria State of the Game - January 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't like the most about this update is the fact that the last time we had a full update was 5 years ago (1.3), and so far what they revealed about 1.4 isn't even close to what 1.3, 1.2 or 1.1 were, and those took about 2 years to release. Also, the last time we had any update at all, even it being content not that relevant, was 2017, 3 years ago.
I don't know what is going on with Re-Logic, love the game since 2012, but overall 1.4 just seem lacking and disappointing for the amount of time they have been developing it.
It's because they are a small team. The game blew up too fast. Now they are trying to juggle all the various versions and other companies working on it. Too big, too fast, without the manpower to back it up.

So now we get lazy work with Master Mode.

In short, it's just not worth waiting on any longer.

27d.jpg

What I don't like the most about this update is the fact that the last time we had a full update was 5 years ago (1.3), and so far what they revealed about 1.4 isn't even close to what 1.3, 1.2 or 1.1 were, and those took about 2 years to release. Also, the last time we had any update at all, even it being content not that relevant, was 2017, 3 years ago.
I don't know what is going on with Re-Logic, love the game since 2012, but overall 1.4 just seem lacking and disappointing for the amount of time they have been developing it.
What do you mean? There have been so many spoilers it's absurd. They have just been dying down lately.

No word on a hot fix for the multiplayer sound bug or sandstorm / lag / crash bug on consoles? Man this is beyond disappointing. WE NEED THIS FIXED!! 😕

Patience my dear little Terrarialings.

1.4 is probably going to be bigger than we think, just look at the changelog so far. This is a complete overhaul and rebalancing of the entire game with many new biomes, items, and features added. Master Mode is probably just a tiny aspect of this update, and as they said, for hardcore players who just want the challenge.

Regarding the communication with the fans and the timing of spoilers and updates: Yes, they probably would do things very differently next time, it has been very ad hoc. Remember, the game got leaked before official release, the project was abandoned for a while, the little indie game developers got launched into hyperspace with the sales and interest in this game and I think they have just been trying to wing it since. Kudos to them for not succumbing to the standard practices we saw by their contemporaries in the last decade; lootbox scams, overpriced DLC, and sheer take-your-money-and-never-see-you-again.

Yes, regular updates, regular spoilers, and other perfect game company practices would be nice, but put in perspective, I paid 10 bucks for this game in 2011 and in 2020 it is still the best game I've ever played, and they're still giving me more. So..as they say..beggars can't be choosers.

Maybe they've been too busy developing Terraria 2 :)

Looking forward to Journey's End.

Eldgar in, I noticed some... spoiled stuff there.

A bathtub with rubber duck... probably a reskin or new type of it. A statue of... anubii? With the flower necklace or smth like that.
Some strange lamp on the entrance... probably a lava lamp? I dunno. The cold one seems intriguing. A overfrozen husk, mind you. And something that looks like algae. Probably the junk from fishing.

I concede that improved AI would be important for Master Mode, and also even just Expert Mode if possible, due to how just increasing damage numbers and stats shifts the balancing of the game and invalidates a lot of gear.

But I also think that being able to upgrade weapons of lower tiers would make a very rewarding experience. For example, Demon Scythe feels great to use but you only get to use it for a little while if you farm hell early. I'd like to be able to upgrade it and other weapons to fill in some gaps between tiers, to give us barely the edge we need to be able to complete Master Mode with these weapons. This would make older weapons and mechanics feel relevant and refreshed again, and it would be cool if we could get a debuff-free Rod of Discord for endgame hype.

That means that Dark Demon Scythe wouldn't be as powerful as endgame stuff but still far superior to regular version, and semi-endgame stuff could also be upgraded so we have a chance against the harder Moon Lord.

This wouldn't invalidate regular endgame stuff because that gets its upgrade path later, or is combined with these to form a stronger weapon via the Tinkerer's table. And that's essentially what the iterations do.

Or for a simpler solution: Just let us upgrade weapons for a recolored effect and higher stats. Everything becomes better, but at the cost of resources and time.

Add in the improved AI and different attack patterns and we're gold.

I disagree with that, as she's hitscan and the fall damage multiplier that stoned gives you can still oneshot an endgame character.

5-sec solutions that work:

* Change the fall damage multiplier
* Make it so that when hookshot-attached to a surface/ceiling, being stoned doesn't drop you from it. That makes her basically super easy to cheese.
* Deal with it, because the odds of you getting stoned over a huge pit is small if you watch yourself and kinda fun anyways, and was only suggested for Master Mode aka masochists. I would have had it for Expert Mode if I could, because that's still just for the "strong" players that are willing for a challenge. But I'll take it for Master Mode if that's the only way.

I miss her, she's a unique mob, and quite frankly there's nothing to like about her when her only drop is so weak that in Hardmode it's not rewarding due to the time you would mandatorily spend getting better and more versatile loot elsewhere anyway. Not enough DPS to keep enemies at bay or kill them fast enough to not get hit, doesn't freeze foes, nothing interesting. Lack of an upgrade path from her makes it feel pointless to even go to her biome and you can just steer clear of it currently. Her spawnrate is low, and she's easily cheesed if you just get to high ground or deal damage to prevent her from attacking. The hoplites are a far worse foe at this point.

Last edited:
IMO, if you're adding support for Razer keyboards (Razer Chroma) add support for Corsair keyboards too (iCUE). These are basically the two main keyboard brands with great software, other games have implemented both, I'm not gonna buy another 100+ dollar keyboard just to have some lightning effects.

Eldgar in, I noticed some... spoiled stuff there.

A bathtub with rubber duck... probably a reskin or new type of it. A statue of... anubii? With the flower necklace or smth like that.
Some strange lamp on the entrance... probably a lava lamp? I dunno. The cold one seems intriguing. A overfrozen husk, mind you. And something that looks like algae. Probably the junk from fishing.
I noticed these secret spoilers too but I haven't played the game for so long I wasn't sure what was new...

What the hell is that Anubis?

Last edited:
Pretty disappointed with Master Mode being a mere stat increase. Making a Boss have 100% more HP and damage doesn't change the dynamic of the fight in any way. It's a neutral change at best, but at worst will boil down to bosses being more "tedious" and time-consuming, but not "harder".
There won't be any need to revise strategies or do anything different. It will make the fights more time-consuming and that's it.

"Making bosses drop new items would make it easier" is a weird excuse. Expert Mode increases your accessory limit and introduced new items, yet still managed to come out as a fresh, dynamic, and more difficult challenge than normal mode.
To me it seems more like the team ran out of time. It takes way less effort to tune the HP and damage of bosses (literally just rewriting a few lines) than programming a new boss AI and new items and coming up with the ideas for them, so now all we get is a half-assed version of Expert Mode.

Even if the Bosses didn't drop any new items. Simply having a new AI would still make Master Mode feel fresh. I doubt anyone will feel excited about inflated numbers and nothing else..

7 months without switch splitscreen and now I'm reading that soon split-screen will get focused effort. Incredible.
You need to update your signature... maybe directly change it to 11 months to save some effort... still have started the game once and in between removed it to get space for stuff that we can play coop... money for nothing... disappointing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom