Weapons & Equip Make brain of confusion useful!

Stardust Guardian

Official Terrarian
(I sorta posted this in a comment on r/terrariamemes as impressivetanooki64)

Why not make the most useless expert item useful?

17% damage increase with a chance to inflict confusion, and for the worm scarf extra effect, more movement speed to match the shadow armor, with a 10% movespeed buff.

So its now an actual choice on world gen instead of just instant corruption.

So either a good crowd control and offensive item from the crimson

or a quick and defensive way to help with boss fights and such.

What do y'all think?
(revision for derpling's suggestion)
Shadow armor buff: Movement speed now built in, attack bonus now replaces the old bonus. Or, movement speed and attack speed could be built in, with the added bonus of shadow fragments. Shadow fragments can bring small buffs for a couple of seconds after defeating an enemy, basically the nebula armors set bonus, but early game and can't stack.

Cursed flames buff: now burns and has a 75% chance (varies between enemy) to disable their attacks for a bit. Of course it doesn't affect bosses.. Except king slime.

Hopefully this should balance out crimson and corruption.

Last edited:
That's a nice and simple way to balance them both, it actually however might be slightly overpowered as even the emblems from the WoF don't buff damage that much :dryadtongue:

I don't agree that expert mode is an instant corruption. Crimson Armor and ichor are pretty strong. You probably should buff shadow armor a bit and/or cursed flames.

damage increase is ridiculous. It basicly invalidates the emblems.
I suggest making it be something like all attacks inflict confusion. The confusion effect isn't that useful so at least make it be applied reliably, and be fun.

I think that your idea on the brain of confusion is decently balanced and no longer makes the item a dumpster fire, but the damage increase is way over insane. It outmatches all of the avenger based items. Maybe 13% instead? Also, if it could work like titanium armor (minor invincibility for until you get hit) would make a good ability. Worm scarf could instead have an ability that causes a small burst of worm-like projectiles or make you inflict a "stuck" debuff to enemies that hit you (but it shouldn't work on bosses, that's just a bad idea). In another case, the worm scarf can boost shields while the brain can boost evasion equipment.

I think that your idea on the brain of confusion is decently balanced and no longer makes the item a dumpster fire, but the damage increase is way over insane. It outmatches all of the avenger based items. Maybe 13% instead? Also, if it could work like titanium armor (minor invincibility for until you get hit) would make a good ability. Worm scarf could instead have an ability that causes a small burst of worm-like projectiles or make you inflict a "stuck" debuff to enemies that hit you (but it shouldn't work on bosses, that's just a bad idea). In another case, the worm scarf can boost shields while the brain can boost evasion equipment.
13% is more than the avenger emblem

Even 10% is quite high, now here's an idea:

The bonus starts off at maybe 4% but gradually increases to say 10% depending on the amount of confusion you inflict onto enemies?

Didn't Someone Say That 70% Of The Enemies In Terraria Are Immune To Confusion?
Yeah there needs to be more enemies vulnerable to it. It's so weird how terraria seems to act like confusion is this strong debuff that has to be reserved, when it doesn't work on most things and isn't that useful even when applied.
It's even worse when you have modded enemies since you need to whitelist your npc as being vulnerable to it and most people forget to do that.

Yeah there needs to be more enemies vulnerable to it. It's so weird how terraria seems to act like confusion is this strong debuff that has to be reserved, when it doesn't work on most things and isn't that useful even when applied.
It's even worse when you have modded enemies since you need to whitelist your npc as being vulnerable to it and most people forget to do that.
Honestly, Just Scrap The Entire Concept Of Brain Of Confusion. Make It Drain 100% Of Your Health Every Second And It'd Still Be More Useful Then It Is Now.`:rolleyes:

I have one more idea, probably rubbish but here it is.

While equipped you can summon an illusion of yourself anywhere on screen and enemies will try to attack that instead of you, an it's activated with a hotkey or something, and it's kind of similar to the Stardust armour set bonus but it cannot damage enemies, just distract them.

I have one more idea, probably rubbish but here it is.

While equipped you can summon an illusion of yourself anywhere on screen and enemies will try to attack that instead of you, an it's activated with a hotkey or something, and it's kind of similar to the Stardust armour set bonus but it cannot damage enemies, just distract them.
Infinitely Better Then How It Is Now.

I Mean, The Only Reason I Would Consider Star Guard Bad Is Due To The Pathetic Damage It Deals, It's Distraction Is Solid.

Wait, What if the brain of confusion had the disable attack effect from your cursed flame idea(doesnt affect most bosses,like you said)
Would that make it semi decent?

Wait, What if the brain of confusion had the disable attack effect from your cursed flame idea(doesnt affect most bosses,like you said)
Would that make it semi decent?
That would actually make the brain of confusion(with its attack boost but now nerfed to 8%, and its built in confusion effect) an actual solid counterpart to the worm scarf instead of just giving it a broken attack buff.

Back
Top Bottom