Weapons & Equip An easy way to make Brain of Confusion useful

OniDeidara

Empress of Light
Hi.
The aim of this suggestion is to bring into light one of the main issues with the Brain of Confusion, an expert accessory dropped by *drumrolls*... Brain of Cthulhu, of course.
I do sincerely apologize if someone has brought this suggestion before. I recently came back to Terraria and the last time I checked the forums was years ago. I did a little bit of research and found a few community members suggesting ways to improve numerous expert accessories, here's my shot at it.
I'm also very aware that the BoC issue was tackled by many Terrarians before. If your first thought after reading the title was "Oh god, again?", I owe you a cookie.

Currently, the way BoC works is:
"Upon taking damage with the Brain of Confusion equipped, it will appear to float into the air and nearby enemies become Confused (assuming they are not Immune) with a chance of 60%, increased by 0.4% per point of damage. "

Now... There's two problems with this effect.
First of all, most of the enemies you'll fight are immune to the "confused" debuff. Those who aren't are too weak to even stand a chance against you. You're going to kill them anyway, why should they bother walking the opposite way? Second, the chance to inflict "Confused" is 60% with a 0.4% increase per point of damage.

An easy solution to this, in my opinion, is to make BoC the offensive counterpart of the Worm Scarf:

Brain_of_Confusion.png

Brain of Precision
Rainbow Rarity
Dropped by expert Brain of Cthulhu
Increases critical strike chance by 15%
"Your strikes are more lethal..."
2 Gold

That's it.
Feedback is appreciated. Criticism will be taken.

I do like the simplicity of the idea but the way I see it is that the brain is underpowered because the corruption only has a good expert mode item.

This is an expert mode item, so maybe raise the chance to 40%. remember, the worm scarf is one of the most useful accessories in prehardmode AND hardmode.

I do like the simplicity of the idea but the way I see it is that the brain is underpowered because the corruption only has a good expert mode item.

This leads us to one of the dilemmas players face during the start of their expert playthrough:
Do I risk playing crimson and lose the worm scarf, but get the vampire knives and ichor-based items in the end?
Or, do I play corruption, get the worm scarf which overrules most of the crimson items, but lose the chance to gain the vampire knives or ichor-based items?

The way I see it, having a worm scarf is better than having ichor-based weapons or the vampire knives. The crimson is mostly avoided ONLY because its expert item is underpowered, and this simple suggestion aims to "fix" that.

This is an expert mode item, so maybe raise the chance to 40%. remember, the worm scarf is one of the most useful accessories in prehardmode AND hardmode.

I talked with a few players in the Terraria discord about it a few hours ago.
It should be noted that not all weapons have a base critical strike chance of 4%, plus, many armors and potions offer a hefty fine increase in the critical strike chance stat. A 40% increase would make it VERY easy to reach 80%+ critical strike chance, which would be way too overpowered.

So, It's an Emblem now. Is it a much better item now? The answer is yes. Is it a good change, however? The answer is no.

Expert Mode items are supposed to be unique and impactful. This is a plain combat item that doesn't do anything special to be considered "Expert". Compare it to all other Expert mode items and you'll see what I mean. It's really tricky to make the Brain of Confusion good while keeping it unique and not making it an entirely different thing.

And you know what? I don't want to make it a good item right now. Let Corruption worlds have one thing they can brag to Crimson about.

Implying Cursed Flames are the only Corruption thing that isn't totally outclassed by the Crimson Counterpart
I know that it isn't the only thing, it's just the most universal thing that's outclassed. Besides, the boost you get from vampire knifes aren't that great (in my personal experience)

So, It's an Emblem now. Is it a much better item now? The answer is yes. Is it a good change, however? The answer is no.

Expert Mode items are supposed to be unique and impactful. This is a plain combat item that doesn't do anything special to be considered "Expert". Compare it to all other Expert mode items and you'll see what I mean. It's really tricky to make the Brain of Confusion good while keeping it unique and not making it an entirely different thing.

And you know what? I don't want to make it a good item right now. Let Corruption worlds have one thing they can brag to Crimson about.
I understand where you're coming from. The idea of this item becoming like an emblem completely slipped out of my mind.

ljcditc.png

Roughened Armor
Cuts an enemy's defense by 1/3

The Brain of Precision increases your critical strike chance by 15%. Striking an enemy has a 60% chance to inflict Roughened Armor. This debuff reduces the enemy's defense by a third.

Thoughts?

Hardly unique and extremely bad. You have to roll a crit and then another 60% chance on top of it, and the reward is like 1 more damage dealt in PHM by preHardmode standards or much worse Ichor in Hardmode.

Hardly unique and extremely bad. You have to roll a crit and then another 60% chance on top of it, and the reward is like 1 more damage dealt in PHM by preHardmode standards or much worse Ichor in Hardmode.
There's nothing else I can think of that would make it better. If you have any ideas (Although I don't think you do as of right now since you're against bettering it right now), feel free to share them.

The simplest way to improve is to just make it always inflict confusion on nearby enemies when you strike an enemy instead of them striking you, and perhaps confused enemies attack other enemies, though I'm not sure how possible that is.

The simplest way to improve is to just make it always inflict confusion on nearby enemies when you strike an enemy instead of them striking you, and perhaps confused enemies attack other enemies, though I'm not sure how possible that is.
If Most Enemies Can't Be Inflicted With Confused Due To It Being Too Hard To Implement, I Can't Imagine That Making Enemies Attack Each Other Would Be Any Amount Easier.

However, I Would Absolutely Love To Confuse A Giant Tortoise And Watch It Hurtle Itself Against Every Enemy It Can, Or Watch Moon Lord Fight Dungeon Guardian (They Would Probably Both Be Immune To Confusion, But Meh)

Maybe instead of boosting critical strike chance, it boosts critical strike damage? It could do an extra 50% or something on top of the extra 100%?

A critical strike chance boost is kinda.. Under whelming. You could make it a medium risk high reward type scenario(instead of the high risk no reward of current BoC(onfusion) where if you use a weapon, it could give a chance of ichor(the reward), however when it happens, it disables your attacks for about half a second. The risk is that if you get the ichor(it lasts for 5 seconds) you could get hit and lose some much needed health or not be able to deflect an attack. the reward is the ichor which makes it easier to kill the enemy. To make it good for crowd control, if it applies ichor to the first enemy ALL enemies that are the same type are affected. and you get the disable debuff for 0.5 seconds. The more you apply ichor, the less the debuff lasts. To make this not too op, it decreases defense by 5% but increases attack power by 10%. The ichor effect can be disabled along with the disable debuff(BOTH are disabled,) you can still have the extra attack power.

Back
Top Bottom