Game Mechanics Make Summon Staffs Not Cost Mana

It's Red's intent that you play summoner impure, therefore, that argument goes against the intent of the developers, and it is not a playstyle that should be balanced around.
Also, if you want to do a challenge, that's fine. But the game doesn't have to cater to your needs in that aspect whatsoever. Summoner wasn't made to be played alone, so if you chose to play it like that anyway, then you must face the problems that come with it.

There's a reason that's considered a challenge run - that's not the way the game is meant to be played, and if you want to impose a challenge on yourself, impose the extra challenge of not spamming them.
^ What I said but explained much better.

Last edited:
Any endgame minion that fires immediately upon being summoned is going to auto-fire far faster than you can refresh it by re-summoning it. If anything, you're lowering your theoretical damage output by resetting their attack timer (but theoretical DPS is stupid rabbit hole to go down; min/maxing it is irrelevant even for Expert mode currently).

If you want to "play" a "pure Summoner" that does nothing but sit around and dodges attacks while a cloud of minions does damage, that's fine, but seriously consider just using a Mana Regeneration Potion rather than asking the game to bend to your whims.

I know I cannot change your minds on this, and my opinion ultimately does not matter, but for now, adapt or mod your client yourself with the Terraria Tweaker app.

Any endgame minion that fires immediately upon being summoned is going to auto-fire far faster than you can refresh it by re-summoning it. If anything, you're lowering your theoretical damage output by resetting their attack timer (but theoretical DPS is stupid rabbit hole to go down; min/maxing it is irrelevant even for Expert mode currently).

If you want to "play" a "pure Summoner" that does nothing but sit around and dodges attacks while a cloud of minions does damage, that's fine, but seriously consider just using a Mana Regeneration Potion rather than asking the game to bend to your whims.

I know I cannot change your minds on this, and my opinion ultimately does not matter, but for now, adapt or mod your client yourself with the Terraria Tweaker app.
That isn't really what the point of this suggestion is. The reason I personally want this is so that I don't have to wait for my mana to recharge every time I respawn, and also don't have to grind up mana crystals at the start of the game when I'm not playing magic. And before you ask, yes, I am an impure summoner. Why would you be against this if it's aslight dps boost that only people who aren't even playing the game correctly benefit from?

I am NOT using a mana regeneration potion every time I respawn, either. That requires me to use a fallen star every single time I die from the smallest thing.

Last edited:

I'm not even sure what your point is exactly lol.

Nah i think that this would be way 2 op because say u r playing a summoner and fighting WoF with imp staff you can just mash the mouse so that it summons quikly because whenever you summon an imp it instantly shoots a fireball so u could kill him in like 1 minute or less

Nah i think that this would be way 2 op because say u r playing a summoner and fighting WoF with imp staff you can just mash the mouse so that it summons quikly because whenever you summon an imp it instantly shoots a fireball so u could kill him in like 1 minute or less

Imp Staff used like that is literally worse than a Golden Bow, how would removing its already low mana consumption make it anywhere near overpowered when it's one of the worst weapons of its tier?

Making summons cost 0 mana will make it too easy to spam summon-minions and fill all your minion slots quickly when in the middle of a fight without having to wait for your mana to regen. Also, mana isn't that hard to get, just collect fallen stars as they land near your base or make a long platform in the sky to catch them if you feel the need for it. It is perfectly balanced as they are and there is no need for it to change.

Making summons cost 0 mana will make it too easy to spam summon-minions and fill all your minion slots quickly when in the middle of a fight without having to wait for your mana to regen. Also, mana isn't that hard to get, just collect fallen stars as they land near your base or make a long platform in the sky to catch them if you feel the need for it. It is perfectly balanced as they are and there is no need for it to change.
It’s a quality of life change. It’s not a challenge to run out of mana while summoning out of combat, it’s literally just annoying and gates NOTHING. and who the :red: summons minions while fighting?

Imp Staff used like that is literally worse than a Golden Bow, how would removing its already low mana consumption make it anywhere near overpowered when it's one of the worst weapons of its tier?
No but if u r playing a pre hardmode summoner it would be op because imp staff shoots a fireball whenever it is summoned and it has a base damage of 21 without any buffs or modifiers and also it is a really slow summon so u would be making it op if u play a summoner.

No but if u r playing a pre hardmode summoner it would be op because imp staff shoots a fireball whenever it is summoned and it has a base damage of 21 without any buffs or modifiers and also it is a really slow summon so u would be making it op if u play a summoner.
Ok... You clearly didn't read what Bame said. Summoner is MEANT to use weapons from OTHER CLASSES on top of his minions. That is why he mentioned the golden bow.

Molten Fury - Use Time 22 (Fast) Damage 31
Imp Staff - Use Time 36 (Very Slow) Damage 21

Remind me how this would be overpowered?

Molten Fury - Use Time 22 (Fast) Damage 31
Imp Staff - Use Time 36 (Very Slow) Damage 21

Remind me how this would be overpowered?
I mean if u r playing a summoner it would be op because you can spam minion spawn and Imp staff shoots the second it spawns if there is an enemy near so it would be op pre hardmode if you are playing a summoner.

I mean if u r playing a summoner it would be op because you can spam minion spawn and Imp staff shoots the second it spawns if there is an enemy near so it would be op pre hardmode if you are playing a summoner

Yes, we know that. We also told you like three times now why that wouldn't be even close to overpowered.

It's still outclassed by everything except the most abysmal weapons of its tier, so there is no reason to oppose a little buff like this. And yes, I'm calling it little because the mana drain of the Imp staff is already super low for anyone to care about.

I mean if u r playing a summoner it would be op because you can spam minion spawn and Imp staff shoots the second it spawns if there is an enemy near so it would be op pre hardmode if you are playing a summoner.
Also, Summoner AS A CLASS is not meant to use only summon weapons. If you balance around that playstyle you may as well add every challenge run ever into the game (including the incredibly awful Nightmare challenge I made a while ago and am trying to delete from my memory)

This thread is really hurting me because I keep seeing people saying that "it would be too overpowered" when, just as it has been said more times than it needed to, IT WILL CHANGE ALMOST NOTHING. I hate how people will keep making the EXACT same claims as other people have done before, even when those claims have already been shown to be wrong. LOOK AT THE PAST GODDAMN POSTS.

I have no idea why I'm getting this mad at this.

This thread is really hurting me because I keep seeing people saying that "it would be too overpowered" when, just as it has been said more times than it needed to, IT WILL CHANGE ALMOST NOTHING. I hate how people will keep making the EXACT same claims as other people have done before, even when those claims have already been shown to be wrong. LOOK AT THE PAST GODDAMN POSTS.

I have no idea why I'm getting this mad at this.

Because people can be a little dense. Especially with something as jarring as Summon Weapons.

Back
Top Bottom