Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

>you get higher prices for all the npcs who aren't happy
>"they aren't punishing you"

They totally are. Sure, it makes things much easier, but that's for all of you who like building. I don't, and I don't want to be punished with higher prices and perhaps other things that haven't been revealed yet.

Terraria has always given players the liberty to play any way they want, why is that changing for this update? The devs surely know that not everybody plays for the same reason.
Yes, but you can make npc's happier depending on the specific npc's nearby, and the amount. So you could put npc's in medium-sized groups near npc's they like. You could put these groups in different biomes and put Pylons in each biome. It's just as easy to access them as before, but with the added bonuses of lower prices and traveling around the world in general is easier.
I'm a bit curious how many pylons there are, as the main post doesn't specify. It's clear that there are at least pylons for overworld, underground, snow biome, ocean, and hallow. I can assume jungle has one as well, and surely the desert does too. NPCs don't like living in evil biomes so they're a no-go for pylons, and I highly doubt there's one for the underworld either. What's up in the air for me is sky and mushroom biome, which are both cool spots for npcs but also pretty minor biomes in the grand scheme of things.
I might be wrong, but what I understand is that all pylons look the same, but change depending on the biome they are placed in.

Agreed. Just put some houses in other biomes and you have better prices and easy teleportation bruh. I especially like being able to move faster. And if my assumptions are correct, this would help new players know that NPCs sell new stuff in specific biomes.
I'm not complaining about the benefits, I'm complaining about the punishments for not playing the way the devs want me to play.

Change for the sake of change isn't good, especially if it means alienating your players. Again, I have no problem with giving benefits to players who want to abide by this change; give them everything for all I care, just don't punish me for wanting to do my thing. Sure, there are multiple ways of doing certain stuff in the game and some are more efficient than others, but none of them outright punish you for taking a different approach, at least not directly like inflating the prices.

I'm sorry, but I really dislike this position you're taking.

That'd be an odd behavior given each pylon only works in its given biome.
Oh, I must not have understood the first time. I want to know how to get pylons. Yes, I know it said you get it for having 2 npc's in a biome, but it doesn't say how to actually obtain it.

I think the only thing I will miss will be making a massive house that constantly defies gravity, shoving everything in there and expecting it to function! :happy:

Sure, there are multiple ways of doing certain stuff in the game and some are more efficient than others
as is the choice between making the typical npc prison or going by the new town system. You are choosing one form of efficiency (all your npcs in one place) over another form of efficiency (cheap items). The change is not for no reason, but rather a balance change, which happens all the time. This update is nerfing daed as well, and im sure some people would prefer if they didn't nerf it because it will require them playing in a way that "they don't want to play". Is this any different, really? If the daed nerf requires some rangers to come up with a new way to take care of the destroyer, then is it much different from you finding a new way to arrange your buildings?

But most people approve of this change, you can't say they're alienating their players when barely anyone is upset, just because you're in that group.
Okay, I get it. I'm in the minority therefore I deserve to be ignored and silenced (edit: okay, to be fair, this last part wasn't said by anyone here). Good to know!

I'm upset because this directly attacks the way I choose to play, the way I enjoy the game. If the change only brought benefits, you would see me praising it like everybody else. But it doesn't just bring good stuff, and that's why I'm speaking against it.

Last edited:
this is amazing, new gem trees, a bunny, aaa i love it all ready, early game teleporting o_O ,,, (i really hope none of my personal favourite npcs like the desert as it is my overall least favourite biomes) and even more! i really hope that they kind of play into the dryad being less nice good as people think she is, and i cant wait for pylons i imagine youd get a pylon then when you place it in a biome it changes to that biome but you can only place one, itd also change if the biome changed (for example hallow)

as many have already mentioned how would this work for minibioms like sky island, granite marble glowing mushroom etc

Does this mean that unhappy NPCs will charge more than they do now or that happy ones will charge less than they do now? This is an important distinction.

Both.

I'm in the minority therefore I deserve to be ignored and silenced.

We are here directly responding to you. Disagreement =/= ignoring nor silencing. :)

Sure, there are multiple ways of doing certain stuff in the game and some are more efficient than others, but none of them outright punish you for taking a different approach, at least not directly like inflating the prices.

Not sure that is entirely true. It all depends on what you consider a default approach and what you consider a punishment. I can fight Moon Lord out in the open... or I can make the effort to build an arena. One of those is faster-to-the-fight and the other is an easier fight. #Choices.

Again, if you don't like it, don't use it - and we are not talking about a tenfold price hike because the Arms Dealer is mad that you crammed him into a L-shaped tube next to someone he detests. Tempest in a teacup comes to mind. Maybe wait until you are actually playing and give things a chance before passing prejudgement? :)

Perhaps the crystal biome from Otherworld has been salvaged and introduced into 1.4?

None of this has anything to do with anything from Otherworld.

Okay, I get it. I'm in the minority therefore I deserve to be ignored and silenced (edit: okay, to be fair, this last part wasn't said by anyone here). Good to know!

I'm upset because this directly attacks the way I choose to play, the way I enjoy the game. If the change only brought benefits, you would see me praising it like everybody else. But it doesn't just bring good stuff, and that's why I'm speaking against it.
I'd probably be more on your side if the negatives were actively a bigger problem, but just a price increase doesn't seem like a big deal.

Though perhaps we have different ideas in mind, I'm expecting something like up to a 25% increase or decrease, tops.

i understand what your saying i too am not partial on the idea of high early game prices especially when you cant really travel early game (for me the damned desert is atrocious) but also this brings the opportunities of easy teleportation, you could even just make mini biomes for them and place the pylons elsewhere (now that i think about it they probably have to be placed in towns so thats out the window)

Back
Top Bottom