Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On master mode, the gem robes felt too weak to consider wearing... ever compared to quite normal armor that surpasses it physically like gold/platinum in a semi-class build with the gemstaffs, though diamond-platinum staff is pretty nice for as soon as you can get it for the constant stream of magic projectiles but with no knockback lacks a killer edge for dealing with enemies that can tank the damage, even though it penetrates through them perfectly fine.

Kinda hobbles mages who don't spelunk a lot to get the nessecary objects for damage output, so you're not going very far off purely crafted magical implements in 1.4 if you play anything level to (with a bit of expertise) expert or above, even though the additional slots + demon heart should incentivize maximisation.

A gem-wizard hat for some alternative miscallenous set benefit would be nice, like the much neglected miner set* , like being able to draw a mana-forcefield shaped like your gemstone would be a huge boon to it, without totally rendering the usefulness of tim's wizard hat (which isn't easy to locate, fight, or even guranteed to drop with only 2 defence for your troubles) or the travelling merchant's magic hat vendored item null and void.
  • Miner set is easily the worst set in the game, because it encompasses the activities players don't want to be doing (earlygame mining slowly with copper picks, where they will usually end up being ganked by underground slimes) and relies on drops. I never mine on expert/master mode (too unsafe to stand around), its simply more profitable to mine using TnT sticks because it increases progression by blowing your way down deeper into the earth to follow faires and clears enemies in your path.
- I would rather buy the entire miner set from the merchant immediately and progress to collecting alternative sets as drops in its place.

That's my two cents on optional earlygame armors outside of the oretypes for progression in the context of master mode (or human-pinata mode more like)

Last edited:
Hey, so I personally haven't used this weapon but I would like to talk about the Quad Barrel Shotgun. From what I heard it does double dps of the boomstick and can be obtained the moment you get a musket. Especially since you have to go to the jungle, one of the more dangerous biomes in prehardmode, for the boomstick, it makes Quad Barrel invalidate other options even more since you only need the arms dealer in the graveyard biome. It would be appreciated if this either had a boss requirement or nerfed so it is on par with the other options at that part of the game.
According to the wiki it has the exact same stats as the Shotgun, a hardmode weapon, but with a worse bullet spread. That's not remotely balanced. It should be nerfed or at least locked behind defeating Skeletron or Queen Bee.

I miss the old minion targeting mark. It was bright pink and always visible when something was targeted. I always knew if my minions were priority targeting something even in intense situations.
Now the minion targeting mark is smaller, white, and only is visible while holding a summon weapon. Often times I will right click to target something then switch to my main weapon and when I don't see the mark I go back to my summon right click again only to realize I just canceled it.

I miss the old minion targeting mark. It was bright pink and always visible when something was targeted. I always knew if my minions were priority targeting something even in intense situations.
Now the minion targeting mark is smaller, white, and only is visible while holding a summon weapon. Often times I will right click to target something then switch to my main weapon and when I don't see the mark I go back to my summon right click again only to realize I just canceled it.
The ability to customize the color wouldn't be half bad.

should be able to craft the Quad barrel shotgun with the Boomstick I wonder why there isn't a recipe for that instead of buying it from the Arms Dealer.

Well, first of all, as you mentioned, you get it only after Plantera. And i would argue it's not really a game changer for post-plantera game, considering that you can get Cosmic Car Key and new Witch's Broom mounts, both of which even more easily allow you to swap shoes, wings and Insignia itself for extra damage/defence. On contrary, Insignia means that at least two of accessories slots will be occupied by movement accessories, potentially giving you higher vertical or horizontal speed but lower stats. Insignia becomes OP only after Moon Lord on Expert, but that's because Celestial Starboard itself is OP.
The acceleration of wings+master ninja gear+soaring insignia is much faster than mounts, with this setup you can evade Moonlord's deathray by circle around him while staying outside of the range of True Eye of Cthulu laser, and that make Moonlord fight really easy

Soaring Insignia is kinda meant to be that strong. You have to fight a wannabe Touhou boss to get it, and even if you dodge the big laser, you can't avoid the Moon Bite attack. Additionally, people have wanted an infinite flight item for years. Most of the major mods have something to this effect. Maybe it could be gated behind a daylight kill like the Terraprisma, but nerfing the item itself defeats the purpose of its very existence.

People have mostly been complaining about Zenith making melee overpowered and summoners being underpowered (neither of which I really agree with). But they made a 'quiver of quivers' thing now where there are 3 version of the magic quiver that stack with each other.
Believe me, I farmed for extra quivers and it's worse than Archery potion, and also a waste of 2 accessory slots. Not to mention how specific the bonuses are, only for bows. Having them stacking together is fair, as the bonuses aren't worth using up 3 accessory slots, which can be reserved for accessories dealing more general damage.

should be able to craft the Quad barrel shotgun with the Boomstick I wonder why there isn't a recipe for that instead of buying it from the Arms Dealer.
It's because it's a reference to a horror movie and you purchace it from the Arms Dealer in the graveyard.

It's because it's a reference to a horror movie and you purchace it from the Arms Dealer in the graveyard.

I got the impression it was just based off the historical version (link to youtube review of said weapon) , i've never heard of the movie version.

A lazy suggestion to fix for a recipie could be just to combine four shotguns in the presence of ecto mist and a hardmode metal-forge. (though its getting a bit lame to justify everything being ecto-mistable to justify items outside the natural tree of item-progression)

I got the impression it was just based off the historical version (link to youtube review of said weapon) , i've never heard of the movie version.

A lazy suggestion to fix for a recipie could be just to combine four shotguns in the presence of ecto mist and a hardmode metal-forge. (though its getting a bit lame to justify everything being ecto-mistable to justify items outside the natural tree of item-progression)

Isn't Shotgun actually better than Quad barrel? Or even if you mean four Boomsticks, required hardmode anvil will just make it useless since Shotgun can be bought as soon as enter hardmode.

It pretty funny that you pay 35 gold for Quad barrel but 25 gold for Shotgun that perform better, except that Shotgun is hardmode item. But still, 10 extra gold for more inaccurate Shotgun but pre-hardmode is cheap.

I think the sanguine staff is too rare, on average I'll have a 50% chance of getting a dreadnautulus if I spend all night fishing during a bloodmoon, and this is with a sonar potion ignoring everything else that bites the hook. When you defeat dreadnautulus there's only a 20% chance of the staff dropping, that means it will on average take 10 bloodmoons to obtain one. The only way to summon a bloodmoon manually is by killing bloodmoon enemies which have a low chance of dropping a bloody tear, but if you spend all night fishing then you have almost no chance getting one of these.

Only 50% of a dreadnautilus per night seems very low to me, closer to what I'd get without a sonar potion, if I fought everything I reel in. Are you using the chumcaster and chum buckets?

Only 50% of a dreadnautilus per night seems very low to me, closer to what I'd get without a sonar potion, if I fought everything I reel in. Are you using the chumcaster and chum buckets?
I'm using the golden fishing rod with Master bait, and an angler tackle bag.

I would have to agree with the guy saying it’s too rare, as when I was grinding for sanguine (which is basically a requirement to do enough dps to kill the mechs in master) it took me around 5 blood moons, but mostly it was me getting a strategy down. Once I did however I was only able to kill 1 per night due to low dps as summoner.

Anyways I don’t think this is something you can fix yourself leinfors, but it might be something to pass on. Certain minions are really bad due to the catch-up mechanic that they have. If you go a distance away from your minions attacking, they will give up fighting and try to get back to you. Then they won’t attack until they catch up to you. This is a serious problem for bosses where you are always moving. I have a few suggestions to fix this problem.

- If your too far minions will try to catch up to you, but the second that they are at range they will start attacking again, instead of becoming useless until they catch up to you

- give minions more chasing / aggro range so they can go furthur without having to stop and fly to you

- perhaps if minions staying near you is a problem, you could give the whips the ability to re-summon all minions either to your player or to your cursor with a right click. This would also give whips much more control over summoners like it was meant to.

Anyways I hope you let someone know about this. For an example of how it can effect gameplay, check out CrabBar’s video on empress as summoner during the day, as it highlights the problem pretty well.

3. Buff the Vampire Frog + Make it easier to obtain. In terms of weapons being underpowered or too hard to get (which is a bit of a theme with Summoner gear in general) the Vampire Frog is a pretty cool idea for a minion. The idea of getting it is unique too, which is fishing in a blood moon. However, even with the right setup and gear, Mermen are incredibly strong, and the Finch does not cut it in terms of killing them (honestly in general they are strong against most of the pre-boss teir weaponry) So your likely to not kill too many in a single blood moon. The rarity of the blood moon, combined with tankiness of mermen, combined with the rarity of the drop, makes the Vampire Frog an incredibly painful weapon to grind for. The worst part is that it also feels pretty underpowered once you get it. It's not inherently super bad, and the idea of a land minion is cool, but they aren't super good against fast or flying mobs, and they are kind of needed considering its the best minion you can get before fighting any bosses. What I would do is raise the drop chance a fair bit, and make the minion stronger in general.
This 100% please. To even be able to get the vampire frog you need to deal with mermen and eye fish that are way stronger than you’re prepared for. So you have to be PAST the point of an 11 damage summon weapon. It’s not even worth the trouble if you already have the hornet staff, which by that point in the game you probably already have it. Like yeah technically you can get it earlier, but come on...
I’d say, if you’re unable to nerf mermen and eye fish, make the vampire frog damage around 14. Make it worth the player’s time and effort. Vampire frog deserves it

A friend of mine just told me a story about how he made a Master Mode world where the dungeon spawned on top of the desert, making it so that he hardly had an underground desert. I think worldgen still needs a bit of tweaking. If it can't be tweaked, it would be nice if right after world creation, the game showed the player a complete map of the world that went away once the player enters the world for the first time. This way, a player can see if the worldgen screwed them over without having to waste time progressing to the point where they're able to find that out for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom