Game Mechanics On the issue of social accessory slots in 1.4

Tripoli

Terrarian
As we all know, in 1.4 non-graphic accessories can no longer be placed in social accessory slots, and this is intentional.
In my opinion that's the most significant (the only?) no-go of 1.4. Why is it a problem? Well, because i always used social slots as a spare item storage, and since this practice is mentioned in passing on wiki, and related change is considered a frequently reported non-bug of 1.4, i believe i wasn't the only one to do so. And the more i play 1.4, the more i see how important it was, especially early and mid game, and how new approach alters the flow of the game in not a good way.
How it worked before:
I would carry some important, but situational accessory (say Bezoar) in vanity slot. Then when i enter into a situation that mandates its use (Jungle), i would just right click on it and call it a day. No extra inventory space and no worries.
How it works now:
I need to carry Bezoar in inventory, eating up one slot, then manually drag it to accessories list, because right clicking would just swap it with top-most accessory, and this in turn would mess up accessories order — the order that is important for purposes of vanity btw. Then, when i'm done using it i will have to do it in reverse and if it had a star-mark of fav item (say i found Bezoar with good modifier and now don't want it to be messed with other ones i will find in Jungle), i would have to add it again. And if the accessory i'm swapping Bezoar with is also invisible (Nazar) then i would have to fav it as well. That's very inconvenient way to handle this.
And even if we consider personal storage items and addition of Void Vault, it still only solves the problem with the storage space — not with the ease of use i had prior to 1.4.

So IMO social slot accessories mechanic needs to be restored to 1.3 (i.e. we should be able to put anything there),
OR
if keeping non-vanity out is that important (because we are waiting for addition of numerous vanity accessories apparently) the handling of accessories (swap mechanic that is) needs to be reworked with roughly the following outline:
— player has to keep non-vanity accessories in general inventory
— accessories have to "remember" their fav state when placed in accessory slot
— right click swap has to take inventory order into account — that is, uppermost accs. in general inventory swaps into first accs. slot, the second into the second and so on, until we reach 5/6/7, when every following would just go into the last slot

So, without further interruption let's celebrate 1.4 and discuss this issue.

to stop players from using the vanity slots as extra inventory slots, as that was never their intended purpose.
Maybe. But the new way creates rather arbitrary set of rules, which was additional reason for me to start this thread in the first place:
— you can place vanity items in social armor and accessory slots for obvious reason. Ok.
— you can keep spare armor in social slots, because it's also "vanity". Good.
— you can keep spare accessories, no matter how powerful, in social slots as long as they are visible, because it's also "vanity". I like that.
— you can't put invisible accessories there because... why exactly?
To further illustrate why the last point is so illogical to me:
— Selestial magnet, cuffs and emblem are three powerful mage accessories, yet now only two of them can be kept in "spare" slots.
— Yoyo bag is crafted from several visible accessories, yet is invisible itself, so now if you don't have a place for it, it goes straight to inventory
Edit: Forgot that line: now consider that you keep visible Charm of Myths in social slot paired with Celestial Emblem or Bag of Yoyos — you can't right click swap it to quickly drink that health potion anymore. But if it was Celestial Magnet or Yoyo glove — you would.

Maybe. But the new way creates rather arbitrary set of rules, which was additional reason for me to start this thread in the first place:
— you can place vanity items in social armor and accessory slots for obvious reason. Ok.
— you can keep spare armor in social slots, because it's also "vanity". Good.
— you can keep spare accessories, no matter how powerful, in social slots as long as they are visible, because it's also "vanity". I like that.
— you can't put invisible accessories there because... why exactly?
To further illustrate why the last point is so illogical to me:
— Selestial magnet, cuffs and emblem are three powerful mage accessories, yet now only two of them can be kept in "spare" slots.
— Yoyo bag is crafted from several visible accessories, yet is invisible itself, so now if you don't have a place for it, it goes straight to inventory
Edit: Forgot that line: now consider that you keep visible Charm of Myths in social slot paired with Celestial Emblem or Bag of Yoyos — you can't right click swap it to quickly drink that health potion anymore. But if it was Celestial Magnet or Yoyo glove — you would.
I agree that the final solution was a bit half baked, because of the fact that there are a bunch of accessories that are both powerful and have vanity.
I wasn't really advocating for this solution, more trying to point out the reasoning behind it.

It was incredibly useful to swap accessories instantly, quickly adjusting to a changing environment. I miss this greatly, and can't say I agree with the devs' decision.
So people got a few more inventory spots. *shrug* This cure is much worse than the disease.

Hopefully this can be looked into!

This current implementation is seriously half baked, because now powerful accessories are arbitrarily nerfed/buffed QoL wise based on whether you can... look at them or not? This isnt going to stop players from using the vanity slots for extra accessory slots, this is just going to add unneeded complexity and potentially put off people from using certain items because they are situational and cant be put in vanity.

If they didn’t want us to use the vanity slot for “extra inventory space” then we shouldn’t be able to put armor in the social slots. 1.4 to me feels like the devs are forcing, rather than encouraging, people to play this sandbox game the way they would play the game. I really don’t understand why the devs have a problem with five extra slots for accessories. My inventory is always cluttered with items, and having a few extra spaces available to help me swap between different playstyles only helps me have fun. I sure am glad they added TLoader to steam, because I’m installing the fix for this the moment it is made.

I 100% agree with the points mentioned here. I'll add the fact that, as the game progresses further with updates, more and more inventory space is getting cluttered, be it potions, tools, stat-showers, torches, extra inventories, keys, now the teleportation shells, and on top of that they remove the insanely useful way of quickly swapping battle equipment, to let's say building. Oh, and speaking of torches, because of the absolutely fantastic luck mechanic now you may also clutter your inventory with different biome torches for every scenario, as well as a gnome and ladybugs.

I'm gonna be honest, slowly but surely the removal of all accessories being placeable in vanity slots is getting me infuriated. Like, every time I want to build something, I have to swap FOUR bloody accessories. FOUR. What could be done with four clicks in 1.3, now has to be done with... hm, grab first accessory from inventory, swap it with maybe this, put this back in inventory, favorite, put this instead of this, favorite... see where this is going? And one may say that you have 4 extra inventories to use freely. Haha, that's what I've always dreamt of, even more pain of inventory management and four extra inventories to spend your day on cleaning, YAY!

Okay, may have gone too far with the salt. But I can't be the only one who's annoyed by this, let's be honest, most of us players were using vanity slots for loadout swapping, not just for freeing some inventory space, which was the main reason why they removed this ability. Welp, I bet this, along with some other annoyances that caught my eye, if they aren't fixed beforehands of course, will be fixed via mods.

Random idea.
Though it would make inventory take up more space of the screen, so that has its drawbacks too, but
what if there would be a "quick swap" colums too? so, effectively

vanity slots - quick swap slots - real armor & real inventory slots

vanity provides looks. things that has no visual can't be placed in these.
items in quick swap slots provide no benefits at all, but allow players to quickly swap items in their real accessory slots.
(real) accessory slots provide the effects you would expect from the accessories.

That would mean 5 (or 6 or 7) - or even more if it would exist for every slot, so, including armor, mount, etc. but considering we got something so cool like the void bag that provides a lot more, and very convinient inventory space,
why not something like this?

alternatively make it unlockable via something like needing some craftable item like how you can craft the void vault too, but something like this might would be quite convinient for everyone? a bit overpowered, but not really more than the void vault, which is a really awesome thing to have.

what if there would be a "quick swap" colums too?
I already covered it in other thread — additional slots will only multiply the problem, that essentially was created by lack of understanding on how players actually use vanity slots in game. As quickswap slots first and foremost, that is. See, currently there are not nearly enough purely vanity accessories to fill up even 5 slots, so, realistically, these new slots will be designed to accept any accessory with graphics (such as wings etc.), which in turn would create additional quickswap column (as quickswap mechanic still does work, as long as both accessories have graphics) and then lead to demands to make third column to accept invisible accessories as third quickswap slot. And even if you remove quickswap feature for third column, it still would be used as a spare storage space for accessories.

So, the more i think of it, the more i realise that 1.3 way is the only way to solve this issue. Plus, on a sidenote, i realised that swap-from-inventory mechanic was changed in 1.4, as in 1.3 right clicking on accessories in main inventory would actually cycle through accessory slots, and this allows to quickly replace loadout with some careful inventory management. In 1.4 it only replaces the accessory in first slot.

Thank you for this! I was going to make a post just to bring this issue up when I found your topic. This change feels like a downgrade and is just not as fun as it used to be. I don't get it. Why do they care if we get 5 more inventory slots from it?
It was very convenient to be able to switch accessory set ups on the fly. I usually have my exploring accessory setup and my actual damage set up in the vanity slots which I'd swap in when I actually felt like farming for something or killing bosses. Not being able to do it anymore just feels so tedious. :(

Last edited:
I think the reason it was removed was to stop players from using the vanity slots as extra inventory slots, as that was never their intended purpose.
For that reason, your second suggestion seems to make the most sense to me.
Even then, it is a no brain decision from Relogic. Of course in general Relogic never thinks about their changes or playtest them.
The game has over 5000 different items now. The game still has the same inventory it had when there was less than 500 items.
Every single enemy in the game throws at least one item unique to it (banner for example) and some rare item it might share with other creatures.
The inventory is still the same size.
We have armor sets for mining, fishing, vanities.
Still the same inventory.

Relogic works extremely hard on implementing their worst ideas...

The game has over 5000 different items now. The game still has the same inventory it had when there was less than 500 items.
Every single enemy in the game throws at least one item unique to it (banner for example) and some rare item it might share with other creatures.
The inventory is still the same size.
We have armor sets for mining, fishing, vanities.
Still the same inventory.
You're forgetting about the void vault, which effectively doubles the players inventory when you don't have to manually place items there.

It still seems like a bit of an oversight; if you're farming in a summon loadout and an event like a solar eclipse kicks off, you have to mess around with storage items and then chopping and changing to your combat gear. Which means either turning on autopause or getting killed by reapers.

Maybe they'll change their mind like they did with biome torches.

You're forgetting about the void vault, which effectively doubles the players inventory when you don't have to manually place items there.
No I am not.
500 items vs inventory of 40
5000 items vs inventory of 38 and 80 slots I can only access by hanging around floating chests that I have to clean tediously instead of having that space permanently unlocked in my normal inventory.
No, that's not helping.

Still about 10x more items and we got inventories we can't access with our shortcut keys.

No I am not.
500 items vs inventory of 40
5000 items vs inventory of 38 and 80 slots I can only access by hanging around floating chests that I have to clean tediously instead of having that space permanently unlocked in my normal inventory.
No, that's not helping.
Not to argue, but if +40 inventory slots aren't quite enough, then why would that +5 or so matter that very much?

I do get the point of being able to quickly switch items though, in that regards, yes, it could be convinient, but... it would be better then, to have a row like that, and a row for vanity, which is actually used for vanity, and for quick switch (though it still could be used for that too, with items that change the character's looks)
to prevent characters ending up looking like a christmas tree adorned with a bunch of gadgets. because I think that's the thing what brings up other ideas on the same line too, like being able to hide vanity accessories, which makes perfect sense in that regards, but are just the opposite what vanity is supposed to be about...

Not to argue, but if +40 inventory slots aren't quite enough, then why would that +5 or so matter that very much?
It is the inconvience of managing my inventory through chests instead of having access to that inventory without chests floating around and still having extremely small inventory in comparison to the massive amounts of junk AND getting the vanity accessory treatment on top of that

Inventory management in 1.3 was awful. It got worse. If anything, it should get better in an update and not worse.

It is the inconvience of managing my inventory through chests instead of having access to that inventory without chests floating around and still having extremely small inventory in comparison to the massive amounts of junk AND getting the vanity accessory treatment on top of that

Inventory management in 1.3 was awful. It got worse. If anything, it should get better in an update and not worse.
Inventory management's been always quite a pain. in that regards, the vanity accessory slots helped very little, I think. yes, you could thow your compass or something there temporarily, but you still would pick up tons of garbage anyway. in that regards, the void vault/bag is extremely convinient, IMO.

Yes, it is not convinient for quickly switching equipments though. I agree with that.

Back
Top Bottom