tModLoader Master Mode Reloaded (M.M.R)

Do you think Master Mode is fine as it is in Vanilla?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MutantWafflez

Spazmatism
LOGO.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This mod will not be publicly available until 1.4 TModLoader releases. For now, this mod will be created in the background with what Is available until then :)

TL'DR; This mod is gonna revert the stat boosts of Master Mode (by default, configurable) and implement AI changes amongst other mechanics similar to Expert Mode to flesh out Master Mode as a proper difficulty increase.

The Problem (Introduction)
For many, myself included, the arrival of Master Mode in 1.4 was one of the most hyped up implementations. Many fans looking for a challenge past Expert Mode couldn't contain themselves figuring out that there would be a greater difficulty. However, in the end, the Master Mode we got, while definitely more "difficult", is hardly fun. The main changes in Master Mode is simply stat buffs, debatedly the worst way of increasing the difficulty of a game. Sure, you gain another accessory slot and earn relics/pets from bosses, but what does that matter if the only substance of the mode is stat boosts? Expert Mode was such a success due to the AI changes and several other mechanical changes that made the game more difficult while FUN at the same time. Master Mode simply boosts stats and leaves it at that. Thus, in response, this mod is being created to try and balance Master Mode to make it more difficult than Expert Mode, and actually fun.

The Solution (What this mod is gonna do 'bout it)
*Enemy stats will be reverted to their Expert values (configurable)
*All bosses will receive AI upgrades and gain additional abilities to make them more difficult, just like Expert Mode
*All bosses will receive an additional Master Mode drop, which can be a weapon OR accessory
*Rewards for players who can survive Master Mode Hardcore, (stuff similar to 0x33's Aviators in 1.3)
*Regular monsters will receive AI changes, just like Expert Mode
*Many more, which will be added to this list as the mod develops...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read about this mod! I hope I will be able to deliver on a smoother experience for Master Mode! Feedback is always appreciated, have a great day! :)

Last edited:
I am definitely very interested in this mod. I want to see some exclusive items from rare enemies when the player is on the Mediocre character in Master Mode. That would be interesting.

This is defintely an interesting one. Be sure to keep us up-to-date!

I'll be sure of it, I'll post some spoilers for some mechanics as they get completed, so check back here every now and then :)

I am definitely very interested in this mod. I want to see some exclusive items from rare enemies when the player is on the Mediocre character in Master Mode. That would be interesting.

Thank you, I'm glad you like the idea. Also, I wasn't thinking about mediumcore, but there can be rewards for mediumcore too (I'm pretty sure that's what you meant by "mediocre")

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a revamp of the mechanics
Need any sprites done? I'm pretty good at making sprites that look like vanilla

Yes, it is going to mostly be a revamp of vanilla in terms of mechanics, and that includes (as it is currently planned) adding one more Master item to each bosses' drop pool. So I will need some spriting done later on (cause I cannot sprite at all) but as it stands I'll just be working on coding the new mechanics.

Master mode was the biggest disappointment of 1.4 despite how hyped up it was, I'm interested to see how this mod turns out.

Master mode was the biggest disappointment of 1.4 despite how hyped up it was, I'm interested to see how this mod turns out.
I'm curious to see what will be added. Seems like a cool mod.

Hopefully I will be able to provide a much better Master Mode experience when 1.4 TML comes out. Thanks!

boss ai changes like king slime sometimes firing spikes and sending streams of flaming gel

King Slime but perpetually on fire 🤔

If you could make it so enemies droped their items more frequently while being in master mode (like RoD, UZI,etc) I would be 100% on board with this

Back
Top Bottom