Game Mechanics Allow Pylons to be used during the Lunar Events

Title explains it all; allow us to use the Pylon network during the Lunar Events. I'm honestly quite surprised that this isn't a thing already, considering that the event spans the entire map. Allowing us to do so would make the event considerably less tedious (even though the event is tedious and overly brutal in of itself, especially Solar, but that's not the current topic at hand;) as well as, in my opinion, not feeling a tiny bit broken like it would for some other events.
(Sorry if this has already been suggested by the by. I used the search function and it didn't seem like there was anyone else suggesting the same thing, but I'm a bit unfamiliar with the system so I'm not entirely sure. This does kinda feel like an obvious one, y'know?)

Title explains it all; allow us to use the Pylon network during the Lunar Events. I'm honestly quite surprised that this isn't a thing already, considering that the event spans the entire map. Allowing us to do so would make the event considerably less tedious (even though the event is tedious and overly brutal in of itself, especially Solar, but that's not the current topic at hand;) as well as, in my opinion, not feeling a tiny bit broken like it would for some other events.
(Sorry if this has already been suggested by the by. I used the search function and it didn't seem like there was anyone else suggesting the same thing, but I'm a bit unfamiliar with the system so I'm not entirely sure. This does kinda feel like an obvious one, y'know?)
This one actually caught me off-guard when I seen it first, that pylons can't be used during the lunar apocalypse.

granted, it's an event, but it's generally different from others, since it do requires you to travel to long distances - only to get one-shot by something to have to travel there again. and again. and again...

teleporters worked in the past just fine, but it sounds like a huge hassle to set up a teleporter system now that can be used during the lunar events, which would just teleport you to maybe the same areas the pyons would do, so you wouldn't actually use those teleporters for much outside of the lunar events, since normally, your pylons would work, and are quite convinient.

it is inderstandble they don't work, but setting up a teleporter system to replace them during that one event sounds like a huge hassle and generally pointless, since you might wouldn't use them 99% of the times other than during the lunar apocalypse.
it would be really useful, if the pylons would just work even when it's the lunar events.

Edit: naturally, pylons don't make teleporters totally obsolate. there are several cases where teleporters are useful, but considering you would - likely - put most towns on the surface I guess, the pylon network largely covers that area, so there's little point setting up teleporters there most of the time.

And if one of the npcs dies and the pylon stops working, I think it's better to use teleports, pylons are easier to use but there are limitations that teleporters don't have, I usually spread teleporters on the surface very easily I only use small worlds in this case.

And if one of the npcs dies and the pylon stops working, I think it's better to use teleports, pylons are easier to use but there are limitations that teleporters don't have, I usually spread teleporters on the surface very easily I only use small worlds in this case.
I used trleporters on console, just so I can travel, but I also set up a rail system with the mechanical cart. But still this feature would be nice, although there is the grand design(I wish I made that sooner) it still takes longer than pylons.

I used trleporters on console, just so I can travel, but I also set up a rail system with the mechanical cart. But still this feature would be nice, although there is the grand design(I wish I made that sooner) it still takes longer than pylons.

Yes, pylons are obtained earlier than teleporters, they are cheaper than all teleporters' wiring, they are also easier to use just click on the map, but the limitations they have make teleporters still useful, with teleporters you don't have to worry with npcs for operation, and not even worrying about the rules of biomes, I think that using both (pylons and teleporters) is ideal.
That is the balance, pylons are easy and inexpensive but have several limitations compared to teleporters.

Last edited:
This is the one thing that took me completely by surprise. I understand it's probably easier to code "no pylons at any event", it would make things a lot easier for players if pylons were allowed during the lunar event.

Also I have to mention, going underground without pylons to get some reforges on my newly crafted lunar weapons was such a pain.

This is the one thing that took me completely by surprise. I understand it's probably easier to code "no pylons at any event", it would make things a lot easier for players if pylons were allowed during the lunar event.

Also I have to mention, going underground without pylons to get some reforges on my newly crafted lunar weapons was such a pain.
Oh wow, it’s such a pain, i literally had to go all the way tot he dungeon without a pylon on mobile 1.3.... it was horrible.

Yes, pylons are obtained earlier than teleporters, they are cheaper than all teleporters' wiring, they are also easier to use just click on the map, but the limitations they have make teleporters still useful, with teleporters you don't have to worry with npcs for operation, and not even worrying about the rules of biomes, I think that using both (pylons and teleporters) in sets is ideal.
That is the balance, pylons are easy and inexpensive but have several limitations compared to teleporters.
Yes, but I think the main problem here, why to set up a teleporter to the same place you already have a pylon as well? would you use that one teleporter for anything outside of the lunar events?

setting up teleprters to places where you don't have pylons makes sense, but not as much to the same place where you already have pylons, IMO...

Yes, but I think the main problem here, why to set up a teleporter to the same place you already have a pylon as well? would you use that one teleporter for anything outside of the lunar events?

setting up teleprters to places where you don't have pylons makes sense, but not as much to the same place where you already have pylons, IMO...
Yes, I mistakenly put a word in my text, sorry now I edited.

Oh wow, it’s such a pain, i literally had to go all the way tot he dungeon without a pylon on mobile 1.3.... it was horrible.

In 1.3 when I was going to farm in the pos plantera dungeon, I used teleporters (I still use it), it is also useful to leave the place by teleporting and then return to make the monsters disappear while looking for a rare monster with the Lifeform Analyzer and Radar.

In 1.3 when I was going to farm in the pos plantera dungeon, I used teleporters (I still use it), it is also useful to leave the place by teleporting and then return to make the monsters disappear while looking for a rare monster with the Lifeform Analyzer.
Don’t like having to do the wire without the rand design. I can’t believe I did that on console, yikes.

I think the pylons were made to take you to that npc with this new happiness system that makes you spread the npcs around the world, the pylons were not made to replace teleporters.

I believe it's a balance thing. They don't want to make Pylons OP.
How is it OP if the event is so late in the game that literally every other form of quick travel is available by that point? You can just use the hoverboard+the winged insignia to get there quickly anyway, Pylons would save ten seconds at most at that point.

How is it OP if the event is so late in the game
Well, first of all that's what OP (the topic starter, that is) is talking about. Yet it is only natural to expect future requests to expand Pylons functionality to all events, if this one will be granted. And this will make them OP (over-powered).
literally every other form of quick travel is available by that point
All of the forms are available much much earlier. Consider using them, they're here for a reason. No, i'm completely serious.
Pylons would save ten seconds at most at that point
Now let me ask then: can you give your reflection on why traveling even with fastest non-instant options is tedious for you? It's a genuine question. In 1.1 i had fun (not kidding) building underground highways just to travel on foot, as single blocks obstacles required you to jump, making the terrain near impassable. Skybridges were meta, but i thought they're kind of ugly. Today i don't even mind traveling without instant means, and, with taking that into account, i actually consider small worlds too small for me, as i reach the ocean too quickly. And today on top of traditional mirror you have teleporters and this new potion of something, which logically should have been a functionality of a cellphone, yet i don't even mind it being unique consumable. Expanding functionality of Pylons (which are, let's recall, no-hassle teleporters avaliable early) kind of throws entire balance of means of transportation out of the window, which is btw why i am also against suggestions on detaching them from this half-baked Happiness mechanic. Sure, you could say, that they're just to travel between "villages", yet i can guarantee you that future meta will be to place said villages strategically, and build ponds, arenas and plantations near them. The rest of the world we meant to care about will turn into teleport-over country never to be seen again. Now add another popular suggestion to save the jungle from evil and the world of Terraria would finally become nothing but a backdrop. Completely static, devoid of any surprises, non-interactive. Dryad spoke of the balance of light and darkness measured in percentages, soon her words will become a legend some old players made up.

tl;dr: suggestions like these IMO make game easier in a not funny/engaging way. Pylons are somewhat balanced nowadays, i think no-event limitation was there for a reason, and i would prefer to keep it that way.
Sorry for kind-of ranting, i like to think things through.

Well, first of all that's what OP (the topic starter, that is) is talking about. Yet it is only natural to expect future requests to expand Pylons functionality to all events, if this one will be granted. And this will make them OP (over-powered).

All of the forms are available much much earlier. Consider using them, they're here for a reason. No, i'm completely serious.

Now let me ask then: can you give your reflection on why traveling even with fastest non-instant options is tedious for you? It's a genuine question. In 1.1 i had fun (not kidding) building underground highways just to travel on foot, as single blocks obstacles required you to jump, making the terrain near impassable. Skybridges were meta, but i thought they're kind of ugly. Today i don't even mind traveling without instant means, and, with taking that into account, i actually consider small worlds too small for me, as i reach the ocean too quickly. And today on top of traditional mirror you have teleporters and this new potion of something, which logically should have been a functionality of a cellphone, yet i don't even mind it being unique consumable. Expanding functionality of Pylons (which are, let's recall, no-hassle teleporters avaliable early) kind of throws entire balance of means of transportation out of the window, which is btw why i am also against suggestions on detaching them from this half-baked Happiness mechanic. Sure, you could say, that they're just to travel between "villages", yet i can guarantee you that future meta will be to place said villages strategically, and build ponds, arenas and plantations near them. The rest of the world we meant to care about will turn into teleport-over country never to be seen again. Now add another popular suggestion to save the jungle from evil and the world of Terraria would finally become nothing but a backdrop. Completely static, devoid of any surprises, non-interactive. Dryad spoke of the balance of light and darkness measured in percentages, soon her words will become a legend some old players made up.

tl;dr: suggestions like these IMO make game easier in a not funny/engaging way. Pylons are somewhat balanced nowadays, i think no-event limitation was there for a reason, and i would prefer to keep it that way.
Sorry for kind-of ranting, i like to think things through.
You completely missed my point. I meant it would be inconsequential to balancing in the slightest if it was done specifically for this event, because you have multiple options which are far easier to set up.

You completely missed my point.
Well, you started posting ITT by saying it's annoying and must change. So, wings (and by extenstion railroads) aren't good enough for you, that's for sure. What other options we have? Teleporters? They're slightly faster than even Pylons, but are they really "far easier to set up" at the time Lunar Events fire up, i.e. by the time you'll probably have your Pylon Network complete, thus already making Teleporters redundant? No, most certainly not. But then all-time instant travel via Teleporters is a good reward for that extra building effort, and partial functionality of Pylons is good penalty for the lack of it. Consider them as downgrade i mean sidegrade ofc at this point. No hassle, but limited functionality.

Last edited:
@Tripoli
There is some truth in that you would visit certain areas much rarer that are between two pylons and has nothing of interest there (they actually share this with teleporters and any other ways of quick travel too). That is part about how you build and threat your worlds though. you can actually tame all the wilderness and have things worth visiting, but normally there are often areas that offer nothing normally so there's no real point visiting those areas again, after you discover them. you also would - likely - not really care about enjoying the fine scenery of a random tiny forest out of nowehere while dashing through the area in your terraspark boots with the speed of a racing car.
so, yes, you miss out enjoying those remote areas, but it's just because you don't care about them, to gegin with. because they don't really offer much, usually. same goes for large part of the underground too. there are often areas the player rarely bothers discovering, IMO.

The problem with pylons and the lunar apocalypse is, that as for one, players get used to using pylons. your underground/snow/whatever location you housed the goblin might be quite far too to easily get your brand new lunar-tier weapons reforged quickly. you placed goblin somewhere where he's happy, but suddenly at this one point, it turns out a pain. otherwise it doesn't really matters to travel there since it's rather easy and quick.

other problem is that the lunar events are very tough to clear. I mean, it's time consuming. since the creatures there are very strong and can pretty much oneshot you here and there. the main way of clering the event is usually slowly chipping away - or how you say it? - the towers. it works. but it's awfully tedious.
if you have a house there, you can set it up as spawn, but then you might get spawnkilled again and again.
you could have a teleporter there, but let's be honest, when there is a pylon in the area, why would you set up a teleporter there you would never likely use outside of the lunar events?

all in all, the lunar events require lots of traveling that is just tedious. you can get there in no time with mounts or high-tier wings, but doing so again and again and again and again and....... is no fun.
if there is a time when you would need to be able to trevel between your towns the fastest, it might be when the apocalyse is underway and the hero needs to be able to act quick?

Back
Top Bottom