Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enchanted Swords and Life Crystals are exceedingly, ridiculously rare in Golden/Titanium crates.

Firstly you would have to catch the crate, which in itself is a 1/150 chance with 100 FP, AKA golden fishing rod and master bait. Let's put a crate potion on it, too, that doubles the chances and turns it into a 1/75 chance of catching a golden crate. That one crate then has a 1/50 chance of giving you an Enchanted Sword.

That means you have a 1/3750 chance of fishing it up at every catch. If you were to fish for the Enchanted Sword, because you don't want to worldhop and because your large world didn't spawn any shrines, [edit]and let's say you had 100 FP and caught 1 fish every 2 seconds:[/edit] you are expected to catch 1 enchanted sword every 2 hours 5 minutes; you would have to fish 50 golden crates to expect to get just 1 enchanted sword! You literally have a higher chance of getting the rod of discord from Chaos Elementals than getting the enchanted sword from fishing, hell even getting just 1 life crystal from fishing! (1/2250 probability) These numbers are ludicrous: why such a low chance for an item that is necessary for crafting the Zenith? If you're actually going fishing for the Enchanted Sword, odds are you are NOT playing in early pre-hardmode, but rather in Post-ML gear trying to get it to craft the ultimate Terraria Weapon.

Last edited:
Enchanted Swords and Life Crystals are exceedingly, ridiculously rare in Golden/Titanium crates.

Firstly you would have to catch the crate, which in itself is a 1/150 chance with 100 FP, AKA golden fishing rod and master bait. Let's put a crate potion on it, too, that doubles the chances and turns it into a 1/75 chance of catching a golden crate. That one crate then has a 1/50 chance of giving you an Enchanted Sword.

That means you have a 1/3750 chance of fishing it up at every catch. If you were to fish for the Enchanted Sword, because you don't want to worldhop and because your large world didn't spawn any shrines, you are expected to catch 1 enchanted sword every 2 hours 5 minutes; you would have to fish 50 golden crates to expect to get just 1 enchanted sword! You literally have a higher chance of getting the rod of discord from Chaos Elementals than getting the enchanted sword from fishing, hell even getting just 1 life crystal from fishing! (1/2250 probability) These numbers are ludicrous: why such a low chance for an item that is necessary for crafting the Zenith? If you're actually going fishing for the Enchanted Sword, odds are you are NOT playing in early pre-hardmode, but rather in Post-ML gear trying to get it to craft the ultimate Terraria Weapon.

I think the topic has been discussed several times already, but this applies to the blade staff as well. Insanely low RNG doesn't make for fun features, I can easily compare this to gacha games:

Most of them have some sort of "bad RNG" safety system, be it in the form of sparking (having some guarantee to take the desired draw after a certain amount of them), or a legitimate increasing chance to actually roll a character of the desired rarity after a certain amount of draws (IE: the odds of getting a crate becoming 100% if you didn't get one in the last 9 reels)

It is probably way harder to code this into the game, but it would be a neat way to avoid haing players complain because they farmed for this one item in a (mostly) single player game without cheating.

RoD is craftable in mods for a reason, it's a very neat QoL item that sure: you don't need it, but it does you more good than harm to actually have it. If the option to craft the RoD with 50 souls of light, 20 pixie dust and 6 chaos fish existed in vanilla, I assure you: Most people would get the item that way before actually getting it from chaos elementals.

Crafting the desired item (usually a weapon) through large quantities of common items isn't inherently a bad decision: it's a backup. The kind of thing that summoners desperately need so they can go through the game much more smoothly.

The same kind of thing unlucky ranger players need to test the star cannon upgrade without losing their sanity.

Aaaand the same kind of thing that everyone who's trying to craft the zenith needs to avoid the same complaint being repeated for the 15th time.

That said, maybe getting life crystals and enchanted swords, as a separate drop from crates, would be better? It's still an insanely low 1/50, but not, well…
That 1/3750. The odds themselves sound exasperating when you put them that way.

PS: I totally wanted to suggest crafting recipes for most of the items that currently have an insanely low chance to drop but I'm actually quite terrible at that.

I think the topic has been discussed several times already, but this applies to the blade staff as well. Insanely low RNG doesn't make for fun features, I can easily compare this to gacha games:

Most of them have some sort of "bad RNG" safety system, be it in the form of sparking (having some guarantee to take the desired draw after a certain amount of them), or a legitimate increasing chance to actually roll a character of the desired rarity after a certain amount of draws (IE: the odds of getting a crate becoming 100% if you didn't get one in the last 9 reels)

It is probably way harder to code this into the game, but it would be a neat way to avoid haing players complain because they farmed for this one item in a (mostly) single player game without cheating.

RoD is craftable in mods for a reason, it's a very neat QoL item that sure: you don't need it, but it does you more good than harm to actually have it. If the option to craft the RoD with 50 souls of light, 20 pixie dust and 6 chaos fish existed in vanilla, I assure you: Most people would get the item that way before actually getting it from chaos elementals.

Crafting the desired item (usually a weapon) through large quantities of common items isn't inherently a bad decision: it's a backup. The kind of thing that summoners desperately need so they can go through the game much more smoothly.

The same kind of thing unlucky ranger players need to test the star cannon upgrade without losing their sanity.

Aaaand the same kind of thing that everyone who's trying to craft the zenith needs to avoid the same complaint being repeated for the 15th time.

That said, maybe getting life crystals and enchanted swords, as a separate drop from crates, would be better? It's still an insanely low 1/50, but not, well…
That 1/3750. The odds themselves sound exasperating when you put them that way.

PS: I totally wanted to suggest crafting recipes for most of the items that currently have an insanely low chance to drop but I'm actually quite terrible at that.
Okay, let's look at it another way then. If you had 100 FP, a permanent crate potion, and a high test fishing line, and you were to catch fish every 2 seconds, you can expect to get 1 golden crate every 150 seconds. The probability of you finding an Enchanted Sword in 50 golden crates is just 63%, just slightly higher than a coin flip. Catching 50 golden crates will take 7500 seconds, aka 125 minutes, aka 2 hours 5 minutes. If you spawn in a world without a shrine, you're going to have to search for enchanted swords in the caverns, which I had to resort to with Terramap. Just 2 enchanted swords spawned randomly in my entire large world. I'm putting them that way because they ARE exasperating. It is unbearable to fish for that long in order to get 1 single item.

They should have made the enchanted sword craftable with fallen stars, like you can craft enchanted boomerangs with a wooden boomerang and a star. Its damage is comparable to the Ice Blade, anyway.

Okay, let's look at it another way then. If you had 100 FP, a permanent crate potion, and a high test fishing line, and you were to catch fish every 2 seconds, you can expect to get 1 golden crate every 150 seconds. The probability of you finding an Enchanted Sword in 50 golden crates is just 63%, just slightly higher than a coin flip. Catching 50 golden crates will take 7500 seconds, aka 125 minutes, aka 2 hours 5 minutes. If you spawn in a world without a shrine, you're going to have to search for enchanted swords in the caverns, which I had to resort to with Terramap. Just 2 enchanted swords spawned randomly in my entire large world. I'm putting them that way because they ARE exasperating. It is unbearable to fish for that long in order to get 1 single item.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm actually pointing out that there should be alternatives, like crafting, or some code that guarantees you get the enchanted sword after certain amount of crates getting opened. 'u'

Thanks for putting it in simpler numbers, though!

Now onto another subject that just came into my mind:

Is there a way to make sure that summons don't despawn because you have too many buffs/debuffs? I legit want to suggest new "mixed potions" simply because that way we the upper left corner of the screen wouldn't be that clogged. I'm sure this is a problem for mages and melee-focused players as well, but losing a buff or two isn't so hard on their DPS as it is for a summoner.

I think this one falls under "balance changes we've made that you think were not enough, or were too much/disagree with" as said in the original post.

A few people on this thread already mentioned Strange Plants being hardmode-exclusive, but none of them got to the real problem with this change. While selling Strange Plant dyes was possibly a little too powerful, the way it was fixed overlooks part of Terraria's progression. Long story short, Strange Plants are currently introduced at the exact moment the player is most likely to ignore them, which is rather poor game design. Be warned, this is a long post. I've used the "spoiler" feature to take up less space on everyone's screens.

Point 1
While hardmode has the player revisit many parts of their world to find new things, one of the things the player doesn't do at any point in hardmode is look at ordinary surface plants for anything new. They especially don't care about surface objects that require a pickaxe to break, since they've discovered that all these give are the occasional bait critter, which do not matter for a number of players. Additionally, they have already learned that the important stuff is the herbs, which can be gathered using basically any weapon, so why mine them?

This means that, by the time the player has reached hardmode and can find Strange Plants, they have already been taught to not look to large surface plants for anything useful or interesting. Many will have stopped looking at Terraria's flora at all, and won't even notice that these plants are actually new. Meanwhile, nothing happens during hardmode that would change this behavior. The only other new plants in hardmode are in the Underground Jungle, which the player is actually prompted to explore after defeating the mechanical bosses.

Basically, the player is already conditioned to ignore random bushes by hardmode and there's nothing prompting them to rethink this habit.

Point 2
There's also the matter of the Dye Trader, and the fact that you cannot give him Strange Plants until entering hardmode. The problem is that the Dye Trader is now the only pre-hardmode NPC to have an entire feature gated behind hardmode (note that NPC vendors having varying store inventories is distinct from having an entire function locked behind progression).

This is an issue because the player has no indication that reaching hardmode unlocks an additional function for the Dye Trader; because no NPC gets more features as time goes on*, this feature ultimately becomes unintuitive. By the time they reach hardmode, a player may have already bought all they want to buy from him or decided that he is not worth their time.

*This is excluding the Party Girl because she requires an easter egg seed.

In other words, the Strange Plants make the Dye Trader behave unlike any other NPC, and the player won't expect a whole new feature to unlock in hardmode.

Solution and conclusion
Both of these issues have the same thing in common: they are inconsistent with how the rest of Terraria changes upon entering hardmode, meaning that, for blind playthroughs, many or even most players won't even be aware of the Strange Plants and their use. They will be confused if they actually find a Strange Plant, and will wonder why this feature was missing.

Letting the player find Strange Plants in pre-hardmode, around the same time when they unlock the Dye Trader, will ensure that these neat animated dyes won't be accidentally missed by players who would enjoy them. Introducing a these plants when players will still be paying attention to plants on the surface lets the player fully enjoy the feature and the game overall.

As for stopping players from selling these dyes for easy money, the easiest solution would be to lower their sell value as others have suggested. Since these dyes can't be obtained from anywhere else in the first place, many players won't be motivated to sell them anyway. Plus, having the plants available from the start gives players more time to get the dye they want!

In conclusion, lowering the price of Strange Dyes will fix any game balance issues without putting an arbitrary restriction on a feature that makes it harder to enjoy.

As for how much the price should be lowered by... all other dyes currently sell for 20 silver, so you can lower the value of Strange Dyes to that for consistency. If you really want to make sure they can't be farmed, make them sell for 7 silver each. This would mean that the 3 dyes you get from the Dye Trader will sell for 1 silver more than the Strange Plant you traded for them.

I think this one falls under "balance changes we've made that you think were not enough, or were too much/disagree with" as said in the original post.

A few people on this thread already mentioned Strange Plants being hardmode-exclusive, but none of them got to the real problem with this change. While selling Strange Plant dyes was possibly a little too powerful, the way it was fixed overlooks part of Terraria's progression. Long story short, Strange Plants are currently introduced at the exact moment the player is most likely to ignore them, which is rather poor game design. Be warned, this is a long post. I've used the "spoiler" feature to take up less space on everyone's screens.

Point 1
While hardmode has the player revisit many parts of their world to find new things, one of the things the player doesn't do at any point in hardmode is look at ordinary surface plants for anything new. They especially don't care about surface objects that require a pickaxe to break, since they've discovered that all these give are the occasional bait critter, which do not matter for a number of players. Additionally, they have already learned that the important stuff is the herbs, which can be gathered using basically any weapon, so why mine them?

This means that, by the time the player has reached hardmode and can find Strange Plants, they have already been taught to not look to large surface plants for anything useful or interesting. Many will have stopped looking at Terraria's flora at all, and won't even notice that these plants are actually new. Meanwhile, nothing happens during hardmode that would change this behavior. The only other new plants in hardmode are in the Underground Jungle, which the player is actually prompted to explore after defeating the mechanical bosses.

Basically, the player is already conditioned to ignore random bushes by hardmode and there's nothing prompting them to rethink this habit.

Point 2
There's also the matter of the Dye Trader, and the fact that you cannot give him Strange Plants until entering hardmode. The problem is that the Dye Trader is now the only pre-hardmode NPC to have an entire feature gated behind hardmode (note that NPC vendors having varying store inventories is distinct from having an entire function locked behind progression).

This is an issue because the player has no indication that reaching hardmode unlocks an additional function for the Dye Trader; because no NPC gets more features as time goes on*, this feature ultimately becomes unintuitive. By the time they reach hardmode, a player may have already bought all they want to buy from him or decided that he is not worth their time.

*This is excluding the Party Girl because she requires an easter egg seed.

In other words, the Strange Plants make the Dye Trader behave unlike any other NPC, and the player won't expect a whole new feature to unlock in hardmode.

Solution and conclusion
Both of these issues have the same thing in common: they are inconsistent with how the rest of Terraria changes upon entering hardmode, meaning that, for blind playthroughs, many or even most players won't even be aware of the Strange Plants and their use. They will be confused if they actually find a Strange Plant, and will wonder why this feature was missing.

Letting the player find Strange Plants in pre-hardmode, around the same time when they unlock the Dye Trader, will ensure that these neat animated dyes won't be accidentally missed by players who would enjoy them. Introducing a these plants when players will still be paying attention to plants on the surface lets the player fully enjoy the feature and the game overall.

As for stopping players from selling these dyes for easy money, the easiest solution would be to lower their sell value as others have suggested. Since these dyes can't be obtained from anywhere else in the first place, many players won't be motivated to sell them anyway. Plus, having the plants available from the start gives players more time to get the dye they want!

In conclusion, lowering the price of Strange Dyes will fix any game balance issues without putting an arbitrary restriction on a feature that makes it harder to enjoy.

As for how much the price should be lowered by... all other dyes currently sell for 20 silver, so you can lower the value of Strange Dyes to that for consistency. If you really want to make sure they can't be farmed, make them sell for 7 silver each. This would mean that the 3 dyes you get from the Dye Trader will sell for 1 silver more than the Strange Plant you traded for them.
I don't think new players are likely to miss these plants. They glow when using a spelunker potion and you still have to look for strange flora in hardmode with lifefruit and plantera bulbs.
And once they read the tooltip 'can be traded for rare dyes' they know who to ask.
I'm pretty sure the reason this cahange was made was for dye progression, in prehardmode you get simple color dyes and then in hardmode you get some of the cool weird dyes. In 1.3 you could easily get a few strange plants before getting your first dyes which made the special dyes more common than the basic color ones.

My understanding was that the main reason Strange Plants was put off was that they made regular dyes seem kinda silly. You basically jump from no dyes to fantastical, animated, spectral dyes, without ever really having a phase where you're using regular dyes.

On specific points:

This means that, by the time the player has reached hardmode and can find Strange Plants, they have already been taught to not look to large surface plants for anything useful or interesting.

I don't buy that. Such a player must never have encountered Herbs, the regular Dye plants, or Nature's Gift.

That doesn't make sense. You recognize that existing NPCs get an expanded inventory in Hardmode, yes? That should mean that, once the player enters Hardmode, it's reasonable for the player to eventually discover this fact. And once they do, they should go around to their NPCs to find what's new.

At which point, they'll discover the new menu item, and all is well.

I don't buy that. Such a player must never have encountered Herbs, the regular Dye plants, or Nature's Gift.

I think what they're saying is to make the Strange Plants breakable with weapons like herbs, because mining it takes a lot of effort, especially when you consider that it only takes up 1x1 space, which is kinda frustrating.

I think what they're saying is to make the Strange Plants breakable with weapons like herbs, because mining it takes a lot of effort, especially when you consider that it only takes up 1x1 space, which is kinda frustrating.
But that would make using them in builds frustrating if they were easy to break.

Just out of curiosity, is there an official reason why the sandstorm won't be added to oasis crates or are we just guessing?
We don't really know. My assumption is that the devs don't want to disrupt the rarity of the Pyramid loot by making it so comparatively easy to obtain, because adding it to Oasis Crates would mean it would be more common to items like the Pharaoh's set from fishing than from Pyramids. Possibly they'd make an exception for Sandstorm in a Bottle if it was only that and not the other Pyramid items, but we don't know. It depends on the specifics of their intention – if it's their express intention that Sandstorm in a Bottle be available only in a small subset of worlds, then we're out of luck.

My understanding was that the main reason Strange Plants was put off was that they made regular dyes seem kinda silly. You basically jump from no dyes to fantastical, animated, spectral dyes, without ever really having a phase where you're using regular dyes.
This is a fair point. However, it should be noted that prior to 1.4, the craziest dyes one could get from Strange Plants were reserved for entering hardmode or even later. Pre-hardmode, the most unique dyes you could get were the "acid dyes" and "reflective dyes," both of which were slightly more interesting than normal dyes, but nothing compared to the hardmode ones.

Also, if you talk to the Dye Trader during a blood moon, he sells the Bloodbath dye, which is arguably more animated than any of the pre-hardmode Strange Dyes.

Perhaps making Strange Plants rarer pre-hardmode (so they are harder to find than normal dye materials early-game) and then turning up their spawn rate during hardmode could be a better solution. If the "dye progression" is reverted back to how it was in 1.3.5, then hardmode dyes would require more Strange Plants to obtain due to probability, so this would make sense.

I'm sorry I hadn't brought this up earlier, it's just that all the posts I saw about this immediately cited the selling price of Strange Dyes as the reason behind the change.

That doesn't make sense. You recognize that existing NPCs get an expanded inventory in Hardmode, yes? That should mean that, once the player enters Hardmode, it's reasonable for the player to eventually discover this fact. And once they do, they should go around to their NPCs to find what's new.

I should have made myself clearer on both of these. Sorry about that.

First, by the time the player reaches hardmode, they will likely have already discovered most or all the beneficial plants in the game. Since no new plants other than Strange Plants appear until defeating the mechanical bosses, there is nothing that makes the player think of paying attention to the scenery for new things, especially for some random 1x1 object.

Regarding herbs, I'm not saying plants can't be useful. It's just that by the time the player reaches hardmode, they have recognized that all the useful plants (that is, herbs) don't require a pickaxe to mine. The plants or objects that do require a pickaxe are either decorative or have a chance to drop bait. I don't want Strange Plants to be breakable by other means.

Second, the Dye Trader will already be considered by many to be a "useless" NPC, especially if they've already bought the Dye Vat from him. So even while they are checking the inventories of other NPCs, they may skip him assuming he has nothing useful (he also doesn't sell anything new in hardmode). Or, if the player has already memorized the functions of their NPCs, they may just click on the "shop" option before looking closer and end up missing the new menu option, since the Dye Trader is the only NPC to have a button gated behind hardmode.

Overall, I think the main issue with 1.4's Strange Plants is the inconsistency with the rest of the game. There is no other new plant that can spawn anywhere during hardmode, except for the ones in the Jungle which the player is prompted to explore again. And there is no other NPC who unlocks a new button in the middle of the game, so the player won't be expecting that. People who play a game like Terraria blind have to rely on pattern recognition to lead their way, and both of these changes contradict the pattern set by the rest of the game.

By the way, the @Flygoniaks, the Party Girl spawns in every world. You just need to have a lot of NPCs, and she has a 1/20 chance of spawning every day given an empty house.
I meant how you can only unlock the Party Girl's "Music Toggle" ability by visiting the easter egg seed 05162020. I was referring to this feature, not the Party Girl herself.

Not going to quote dyes discussion post by post (tl;dr), but
the most unique dyes you could get were the "acid dyes" and "reflective dyes,"
I also don't support removal of pre-HM strange dyes. In 1.3 they were silly enough (esp. acids), but an important gateway for Hardmode dye craze nevertheless. Plus we must also remember that dyes now are not limited to character slots and money one can get from sale, but also could be used to create mannequin-based statues. I stored all of them in 1.3 btw. I knew something is coming.

With that being said how about this proposal: make 1.3 pre-HM strange dyes craftable instead of locking them behind WoF.

First, by the time the player reaches hardmode, they will likely have already discovered most or all the beneficial plants in the game. Since no new plants other than Strange Plants appear until defeating the mechanical bosses, there is nothing that makes the player think of paying attention to the scenery for new things, especially for some random 1x1 object.

Considering how visually distinct Strange Plants are from other plants, I don't buy that. I for one only filter out the familiar; it's the unexpected that would be noticeable.

Also, since you're likely going to be mining ores in Hardmode, odds are good your Spelunker potion will lead you to one. It's really hard not to notice it then.

they have recognized that all the useful plants (that is, herbs) don't require a pickaxe to mine. The plants or objects that do require a pickaxe are either decorative or have a chance to drop bait. I don't want Strange Plants to be breakable by other means.

Do players sit there and pick which tool to harvest a thing they see? Or do they hold the Auto Cursor over it and let the game harvest it for them? Again, I for one have been doing the latter since the feature came into being.

Second, the Dye Trader will already be considered by many to be a "useless" NPC, especially if they've already bought the Dye Vat from him. So even while they are checking the inventories of other NPCs, they may skip him assuming he has nothing useful

It's a lot harder to ignore the Dye Trader in 1.4, since he is almost certainly right next to his buddy the Arms Dealer whom players are far more likely to consider useful. Plus, a player who skips looking at the Dye Trader's inventory is a player who doesn't care about dyes. Therefore, they won't care about missing out on Special Plants, since they just give you dyes.

I would like to reiterate that I am specifically referring to blind playthroughs when talking about this.

Your points about the Spelunker Potion and auto cursor are definitely valid and I do admit that they help alleviate some of the problems I mentioned earlier. Though some players may not find out about auto cursor until late in their playthrough (hey, it happened to me), they'll still have their pickaxe at the ready when mining harmode ores, so that isn't a problem.

As for the Spelunker Potion, however, there is a psychological phenomenon where many players, when confronted with consumable items, tend to stockpile them and never use them. I'm sure a lot of blind players will have the smarts to use Spelunker Potions to find hardmode ores, but not all of them will immediately think "oh, I should use my potions for this!"
It's a lot harder to ignore the Dye Trader in 1.4, since he is almost certainly right next to his buddy the Arms Dealer whom players are far more likely to consider useful. Plus, a player who skips looking at the Dye Trader's inventory is a player who doesn't care about dyes. Therefore, they won't care about missing out on Special Plants, since they just give you dyes.
We haven't really had much time to confirm this since it's only been a month, but I highly doubt that most people would optimize the NPC happiness system on their first playthroughs, including putting both the Arms Dealer and Dye Trader in the same town. Also, NPCs don't tell you which biome they like until they're actually in it, and I don't think many blind players will constantly shift them around their various towns until they figure out what setup is best. Even if there's a way people should play, that doesn't mean it's how they will play, especially those unaware.

I've also come to think about something during our conversation. Is there a good reason that Strange Plants shouldn't be available Pre-Hardmode? I've already explained that any there are simpler ways to solve any associated money exploits, and also responded to your point about getting "fantastical" dyes early game, but you didn't say more. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

By the way, I really appreciate your feedback, @Nicol Bolas. You're really helping me get another perspective on this topic.
Forgive me if I sound like I'm fighting, but I'm trying to sharpen and improve my overall proposal, so thank you for helping!

Well if Orichalcum is a more common ore than Adamantite or Titanium shouldn't it's sword be worse?
Uh... it's already worse? I'm looking at the stats for all 3 of them and I feel confident in saying the Orichalcum Sword is worse than the Adamantite/Titanium ones.

I'm not sure this is quite the right place for it, since "balance" probably isn't the proper word: this is an issue on the decorating side of Terraria, and not the combat side. But I feel like it's an oversight that granite can be obtained in infinite quantities by killing enemies that spawn in Granite Biomes, but the only way to get more marble is to find and tear up Marble Biomes. Even if granite were also not an item that drops, it would be somewhat unfair simply because Granite Biomes are so much larger on average than Marble Biomes. But as it is, I often have more granite than I know what to do with, while I never have enough marble to build anything I want out of it. We used to have similar problems with Sunplate Blocks: if you wanted to build some sort of wizard tower or sunplate structure, you would need to go world-hopping and smash all the islands apart. But eventually a way was introduced to craft it directly from stone and stars. And that was a good change.

Seeing how we're almost done with updates to Terraria, but marble is still a hard non-renewable resource, I just wanted to mention it. It's a decorative block, whether you have access to it or not has little bearing on the balance of gameplay, so it feels like a legitimate oversight. The only non-renewable decorative blocks in the world tend to exist in such huge quantities that going to get some is never a real problem for the player in the first place: dungeon brick and Lihzahrd brick both come to mind. The only two decorative blocks that are now both rare and non-renewable are cloud blocks and marble blocks. And between the two of them, not only are cloud blocks easier to find in a world (I would actually call them uncommon, personally, and not rare), but marble is part of a paired counterpart: it would be like if there was an enemy that dropped Adamantite or Lead when killed, but not Iron or Titanium. If one drops, the other should drop also: it's only fair that it works that way, and there's no reason I can think of for it not to.

Hoplites and Medusas should drop marble when killed. I honestly don't know why they didn't from the start.

Hoplites and Medusas should drop marble when killed. I honestly don't know why they didn't from the start.
I'd like to propose an alternative. Instead of Hoplites dropping marble, have the new Rock Golem enemy drop them instead. Hoplites have enough unique drops already and these drop stone.

But yeah, this isn't really a "balance" issue. I did some searching and Forums > Terraria - Cross-Platform Discussion > Player Suggestions > Blocks & Decorations might be a better place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom