Game Mechanics Post-Plantera Dungeon Spikes (Traps)

Kats

Pixel Pirate
Heyo!

EDIT:
First of all, maybe a ~1 second debuff after triggering (an actual untouched "group" of) crumbling blocks that disable flight and mount (but not grapple)? :p
1 (or whatever) Seconds would be enough to aim grapple hook away to safety, or fly at the last split second. (timer would be tight enough that it really would be by the hair) :p Just for that added thrill. Debuff could just be something like "startled" or something lul.

Just made another post about them crumbling blocks and while writing that one I thought of this lol.
Before you read below: I didn't think of this while writing, and now its gotten to the point that I can't really fit this in somewhere... I do say many of these will go through everything, including invul timer, but to avoid things instantly dropping you to 1 health, these new traps (with exception of the new dart trap) can NOT hit you for 1 second after they damage you. so for example, if you land on spikes, you have 1 second to get off before you get damaged again.

Simply put, I kind of feel like, at the very least in Master Mode, the Spike (actually ended up with suggestions for all traps lol) damage should scale up after plantera has been killed, going in the dungeon post-plantera and falling down spike pits is a no issue because you only take a single point of damage with the odd 10-20 damage sprinkled in, with 56 armor. :p

So I basically just feel like, since the dungeon becomes all powered up after plantera's death, I'd say the spikes(+) should get beefed up too. Maybe not one shot of course but honestly, since we're talking master mode, I'd say they should take a flat 50% of the player's current HP, basically, unless the player is at 1 HP, it can't kill the player but would severely wound them. Also, not a single defensive accessory would protect the player from this damage, none. No brain of confusion dodge, no ninja dodge, not even invul frames, it would go through everything, and would always take 50% of their current HP. At 500 HP? Shoot, you lost 250 HP! At 20 HP? Aw, dude, you're slipping off that thread you're hanging onto for dear life with a mere 10 HP left!

1) This will reward people who are diligent enough in exploring the dungeon before defeating plantera, and even more so if they remove all spikes/block off pits.
2) And for the people who aren't as diligent/enjoy the added challenge, it will be far more fun to know that if I fall down a pit or hit a spike, I might die soon after, so I better be careful!
3) Would reward people for using the Dangersense potion :p
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These I thought of while writing the above suggestion lol.

The spinning spike balls!
Same as spikes but as these are just a random (seemingly rare?) spawn, I would personally put these at 30% of the player's current HP, getting these spawned in a bad spot would get quite annoying otherwise lol. Though I would say to also bump up the spawnrate a tad.

And then we've got the fire wheel. Super easy to see, super easy to avoid, meaning... exactly the same as spikes! Get hit, 50% loss of current HP, no way to avoid... except of course actually avoiding the bright light coming towards you at a fast snails pace.

And I mean, there are dart traps in the dungeon but.... they are your every day dart traps that you find everywhere else so... hmm.
Could replace any dart traps that generated in the dungeon when world was made with a new type of dart trap once plantera has been defeated, something more... vicious, like a Venom Dart Trap, since Venom is pretty much an upgraded version of Poison, in terms of in-game stat I mean.
(Wether this makes for a new dart trap that player can break and use is up to you lol)
Could even make the game save the original locations for all dart traps, wires and pressure plates that were generated in the dungeon, and once plantera has been defeated, the game will simply place it all back again if the player destroyed these beforehand, though of course with the nice surprise of the old trusty dusty dart trap being upgraded to the brand spanking new Venom Dart Traps.
Or heck, maybe a sniper/shotgun trap, them sneaky snipers and/or tactical shotgunners went around and placed/replaced dart traps with traps that shoot sniper bullets (extreme damage, duh) or shotgun pellets (extreme damage at close range. duh)
In the case of this new dart trap, whatever version, they do extremely buffed up damage, but they do not go through everything, and armor still matters, BUT the damage will be balanced around Post-Plantera gear, actually, I'd say, balance it around Post-Golem. And Defense would have severe DR so melee still takes a lot of damage. Basically just so going through post-plantera dungeon is actually a threat again, as the only "threat" at this point is the spazz we all know and love called Bone Lee. Ah and the fire dudes can get quite annoying too shooting them fire things at you across the map lol.
Well, the two of them and getting stuck in crumbling blocks left laying around while getting swarmed by mobs lol.

Last edited:
Regarding the spikes which is the only aspect I can even somewhat understand the main change this would have is rewarding players for removing spikes and generally significantly modifying terrain. The other suggestions here though are just plain bad. The invincible Spike ball enemies already hog up a lot of the enemy slots leaving less slots around which enemies with drops can spawn currently the only way to deal with these is to leave the area to force them to despawn. There is no challenge only tedium.

These Trap suggestions are problematic on so many levels as they would both clog up the games memory for little to no gain and ruin builds of players like me. If you are somehow so "pro" that all the enemies somehow can't harm you. I don't know if you have actually ever played the game on expert or higher but if you had you would know that all the enemies deal massive damage that is really only mitigatable through banners and doesn't include ranged enemies. Paladins, Commandos Necromancers, Ragged Casters, Diabolists, tactical skeletons and the dreaded 1 shot kill (or two if you are melee) Snipers are all potent threats with ranged attacks that if not avoided will deal devastating damage. Heck even the prehardmode Dark Casters can do well over a hundred damage in expert with late game armor.

If you want the dungeon to be harder post plantera then here is a suggestion leave the traps or even wire your own and avoid placeing banners. Do that and I guarantee you will be having difficulty no need to screw everyone else over.

Regarding the spikes which is the only aspect I can even somewhat understand the main change this would have is rewarding players for removing spikes and generally significantly modifying terrain. The other suggestions here though are just plain bad. The invincible Spike ball enemies already hog up a lot of the enemy slots leaving less slots around which enemies with drops can spawn currently the only way to deal with these is to leave the area to force them to despawn. There is no challenge only tedium.

These Trap suggestions are problematic on so many levels as they would both clog up the games memory for little to no gain and ruin builds of players like me. If you are somehow so "pro" that all the enemies somehow can't harm you. I don't know if you have actually ever played the game on expert or higher but if you had you would know that all the enemies deal massive damage that is really only mitigatable through banners and doesn't include ranged enemies. Paladins, Commandos Necromancers, Ragged Casters, Diabolists, tactical skeletons and the dreaded 1 shot kill (or two if you are melee) Snipers are all potent threats with ranged attacks that if not avoided will deal devastating damage. Heck even the prehardmode Dark Casters can do well over a hundred damage in expert with late game armor.

If you want the dungeon to be harder post plantera then here is a suggestion leave the traps or even wire your own and avoid placeing banners. Do that and I guarantee you will be having difficulty no need to screw everyone else over.

Yikes. :p

I currently play on Master mode, which is why this suggestion was written for Master Mode. :)

It was mostly written for the spikes, rest was added on later. I can certainly see your point with the spike balls~
Rest... hmm, clogging up memory? Most of these simply hit harder. Only significant things that would have any impact on memory is the new traps, depending on how those were implemented.
Ruin builds? Elaborate~

As for your suggestion;

Traps do no damage, so leaving them doesn't make the dungeon any harder, hence this suggestion.
Banners make no difference for majority of the mobs, other than them dying a little faster, as most of them are ranged any way. :p
Which I why I rarely hang them up other than when I need space lol.

Last edited:
I have no problem with having traps scale and on master the effects of banners are even more significant due to the way defense is handled but yes ranged attacks are exempt.

And yeah the clogging up memory was related to the traps remembering the locations of traps would require the game to store that information which could really add up and as I tend to have tweaked the terrain to be more architecturally pleasing while also making it easier for dungeon monsters to reach you.

In the Dungeon my builds as sort of alluded to above referenced include making the floors more open i.e. enlarging them and adding platforms to increase the area enemies can spawn and so that enemies no longer get themselves trapped in the terrain, making fishing ponds more effective/defensible, and probably the most significant thing I like to do is build mini biomes within those isolated pockets of underground as they have a degree of protection from biome spread. It is particularly a great place to keep my alt Evil and also serves as a great place to put a Dungeon base connected directly to the dungeon proper via actuators for example.

I have no problem with having traps scale and on master the effects of banners are even more significant due to the way defense is handled but yes ranged attacks are exempt.

Ah, yes, banners do of course make for a pretty obvious and extreme improvement in how fast you can kill a mob. I just tend to forget until I need space, or just don't care enough to spam them around the entire dungeon haha. xD
Especially so because if something kills me, its usually a Diabolist, or Bone Lee, and yeah, his banner I put down immediately, hate that bugger.
Diabolists are just annoying because they can snipe you from across the world, (slight exaggeration, but yikes they've got range).

And yeah the clogging up memory was related to the traps remembering the locations of traps would require the game to store that information which could really add up and as I tend to have tweaked the terrain to be more architecturally pleasing while also making it easier for dungeon monsters to reach you.

This all depends in how its implemented, the game doesn't really have to actually store this in memory and constantly keep it there until plantera is defeated. It can all be saved to save files, and once plantera is defeated the game simply goes through the save file for the locations.
They could also just make unique dungeon dart traps that function and look the same as regular ones, just a unique ID (until mined), that makes storing this in save files (and loading it when needed) that slight bit faster as well.

In the Dungeon my builds as sort of alluded to above referenced include making the floors more open i.e. enlarging them and adding platforms to increase the area enemies can spawn and so that enemies no longer get themselves trapped in the terrain, making fishing ponds more effective/defensible, and probably the most significant thing I like to do is build mini biomes within those isolated pockets of underground as they have a degree of protection from biome spread. It is particularly a great place to keep my alt Evil and also serves as a great place to put a Dungeon base connected directly to the dungeon proper via actuators for example.

Ahh, well, I don't really see how my suggestion would interfere with this at all actually.
It would simply place the traps down again, which you can then just destroy and pick up again if you do all this before defeating plantera.:p

Back
Top Bottom