Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Basically, I decided to throw around Chum Buckets on land to see what would happen, and it turns out this happens: the chum literally never disappears.
cerrm borckett bog.PNG

I let the game sit for 10 minutes, and nothing happened at all. I tried teleporting away, still there when I came back. I had to reload the world to make it disappear.

Where is it supposed to go? They are coded to never disappear on their own, but when you draw the fishing line.
Otherwise they'd disappear after a while, which is bad.

Adding two lines puts that much more work on servers? It could literally just be the same as enemy gore disappearing. Also, wouldn't servers be working harder if they're filled with hundreds of entities that never despawn?

I guarantee that (not counting the log-out/log-back-on part) this replicates real-world behavior accurately. However: don't try this at home.

It's true that two lines of code isn't much. Two lines multiplied by the number of odd behaviors and edge cases that don't affect play and will rarely, if ever, occur?

As Everett Dirksen is supposed to have said, "A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."

[edit] That said, I approve of trying weird actions like this. Doing stuff others haven't thought to try is very useful in testing software, and sometimes the most off-the-wall actions are the ones that demonstrate coding — or data representation, or whatever — flaws that really need to be taken care of.

So by all means test, and write up and report, all kinds of strange ways of using the software you're dealing with. Just remember that not every odd thing warrants a fix, and that sometimes a little change in this bit of code can screw up a lot of other bits of code (and it can sometimes be hard to figure out what change broke all those other things).

Last edited:
Adding two lines puts that much more work on servers? It could literally just be the same as enemy gore disappearing. Also, wouldn't servers be working harder if they're filled with hundreds of entities that never despawn?
Can you provide any evidence that is is two lines of code, please?
And no, it would not be the same. Enemy gore is not a physical object that detects if thrown somewhere and adds an effect on the area based on it being in the area. It calculates it in real time. And every tick. If you enlarge your pond while chum is in it, the chum calculates the water tiles.
Adding a despawn times means it has to calculate every single block it is on, and check if it is water or something else. It has to calculate ticks before it despawns and whether it despawns or not.

This gets even better.
When you throw chum on blocks above water and it lands on it in specific, weird way , the gore will drip into the water for infinity and won't despawn no matter how many times you use the fishing pole.

No idea if it has an effect on fishing what so ever or just visual as i was having hard time reproducing this "glitch" in more controlled enviroment.

Back
Top Bottom