Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fun gimmick came to mind: the rod will remain as complex to get, as ineffective fishing power-wise, BUT it will automatically fish for you.
That's a great idea.
That also could be the case if required. Would reduce the chances for insanely rare drops being caught AFK, but also give lower power fishing bait a "sink hole" of sorts, which is pretty neat.
That would be fine. The greatest utility of an automatic rod would be getting large amount of materials for potions anyway.

An alternative approach to the mechanical fishing rod would be to simply buff it to 40% fishing power. This way it would serve as a guaranteed 40% fishing pole in case you've been unlucky with the travelling merchant's RNG pre-HM.

This way it would serve as a guaranteed 40% fishing pole in case you've been unlucky with the travelling merchant's RNG pre-HM.
I don't think that I have ever been unlucky with the sitting duck. In fact a number of times I've intentionally refused to buy it just so that I would have the excuse to use the fiberglass and mechanical rod.

I've found the Nightglow to be rather disappointing as a weapon; it's neat, but as it stands, it's currently just a novelty item on my hotbar that finds some extremely niche use against a handful of specific enemies. The intent may have been to have it sit between the Nebula Blaze and Razorblade Typhoon in terms of single target vs. multi-target DPS, but I've found that in practice, its middling DPS and modest range leaves it worse than either the Blaze or the Typhoon in nearly all situations, with no clear use case for the Nightglow.

I think what it needs is 2-3 of: increased damage, increased projectile duration, increased homing radius, or no projectile destruction on block collision. Some way to make it clearly, noticeably better against smaller, tightly packed groups that get in range.

Currently, against any ground-based enemies (which are abundant even in late-game wave events), the Nightglow performs significantly worse than nearly any other weapon in its tier as the projectiles immediately collide with solid blocks either on creation or right after striking an enemy. It's bad enough on flat ground, but any sort of terrain feature other than platforms makes the weapon effectively useless (and even in that case, shots that aim down to enemies below will be wasted).

Against single flying minibosses mixed with additional mobs (e.g. Ice Queen, Pumpking), most are mobile enough or aggressive enough that there will be times when Nightglow shots fail to lock onto anything due to its limited range, or the Nightglow will take out a minor enemy or two that happen to be nearby. But you can get better overall DPS either by focus firing on the miniboss/individual enemies or screen clearing with the Razorblade Typhoon.

Against waves of harder, durable enemies like in the pillar events, I've found the Razorblade Typhoon still comes out on top in almost all situations. On paper it sounds like the perfect setup for the Nightglow - you've got 3-4 strong enemies all targeting your position. But the Typhoon seems to get comparable and consistent DPS by virtue of hitting... well, everything, whereas the Nightglow really needs all of those enemies to cluster together in one spot and within homing range to get good damage. And it's absolutely no contest if some of those enemies happen to be walking.

The only situations where I've thought the Nightglow seemed decent were against specific enemies that have multiple, tightly clustered hitboxes such as the Flying Dutchman, UFOs (first phase), and Stardust Cells, where you can focus all of the Nightglow's homing and piercing shots to strike multiple targets in the same area. But in terms of overall DPS I feel the Razorblade Typhoon is still comparable even in that sort of ideal setup.

Something to note is that a lot of these are observations from multiplayer, where enemies will often be spawning from further offscreen - which is a significant drawback to the Nightglow which can only home in on nearby enemies. The Razorblade Typhoon, in comparison, can be fired way offscreen and still do great damage. I could see the Nightglow being a little better when most enemies will spawn close by. But I still think it has a really hard time carving out a clear niche in the hotbar that isn't better fulfilled either by the Razorblade Typhoon or stronger single-target DPS.

I've found the Nightglow to be rather disappointing as a weapon; it's neat, but as it stands, it's currently just a novelty item on my hotbar that finds some extremely niche use against a handful of specific enemies. The intent may have been to have it sit between the Nebula Blaze and Razorblade Typhoon in terms of single target vs. multi-target DPS, but I've found that in practice, its middling DPS and modest range leaves it worse than either the Blaze or the Typhoon in nearly all situations, with no clear use case for the Nightglow.

I think what it needs is 2-3 of: increased damage, increased projectile duration, increased homing radius, or no projectile destruction on block collision. Some way to make it clearly, noticeably better against smaller, tightly packed groups that get in range.

Currently, against any ground-based enemies (which are abundant even in late-game wave events), the Nightglow performs significantly worse than nearly any other weapon in its tier as the projectiles immediately collide with solid blocks either on creation or right after striking an enemy. It's bad enough on flat ground, but any sort of terrain feature other than platforms makes the weapon effectively useless (and even in that case, shots that aim down to enemies below will be wasted).

Against single flying minibosses mixed with additional mobs (e.g. Ice Queen, Pumpking), most are mobile enough or aggressive enough that there will be times when Nightglow shots fail to lock onto anything due to its limited range, or the Nightglow will take out a minor enemy or two that happen to be nearby. But you can get better overall DPS either by focus firing on the miniboss/individual enemies or screen clearing with the Razorblade Typhoon.

Against waves of harder, durable enemies like in the pillar events, I've found the Razorblade Typhoon still comes out on top in almost all situations. On paper it sounds like the perfect setup for the Nightglow - you've got 3-4 strong enemies all targeting your position. But the Typhoon seems to get comparable and consistent DPS by virtue of hitting... well, everything, whereas the Nightglow really needs all of those enemies to cluster together in one spot and within homing range to get good damage. And it's absolutely no contest if some of those enemies happen to be walking.

The only situations where I've thought the Nightglow seemed decent were against specific enemies that have multiple, tightly clustered hitboxes such as the Flying Dutchman, UFOs (first phase), and Stardust Cells, where you can focus all of the Nightglow's homing and piercing shots to strike multiple targets in the same area. But in terms of overall DPS I feel the Razorblade Typhoon is still comparable even in that sort of ideal setup.

Something to note is that a lot of these are observations from multiplayer, where enemies will often be spawning from further offscreen - which is a significant drawback to the Nightglow which can only home in on nearby enemies. The Razorblade Typhoon, in comparison, can be fired way offscreen and still do great damage. I could see the Nightglow being a little better when most enemies will spawn close by. But I still think it has a really hard time carving out a clear niche in the hotbar that isn't better fulfilled either by the Razorblade Typhoon or stronger single-target DPS.

Heads up that Razorblade Typhoon is on the nerf list due to how ridiculous it is against crowds, it's not surprising to see it outperform Nightglow in that area because currently almost nothing is on its level.

I fully agree that the projectile should go through blocks, it :red:s it over too much on the pillars. However I dont think it needs anything other than that because rn when fighting with infinite flight in the air you can see that it's pretty damn powerful when blocks dont get on the way.

Heads up that Razorblade Typhoon is on the nerf list due to how ridiculous it is against crowds, it's not surprising to see it outperform Nightglow in that area because currently almost nothing is on its level.

I fully agree that the projectile should go through blocks, it :red:s it over too much on the pillars. However I dont think it needs anything other than that because rn when fighting with infinite flight in the air you can see that it's pretty damn powerful when blocks dont get on the way.

I personally feel the Razorblade Typhoon is alright where it is, given that its single-target and overall DPS isn't that high and the Nebula Arcanum still generally tends to outperform it against crowds due to its persistent projectiles. Magic weapons have always tended to excel in crowd control and from an overall raw DPS perspective, I'm not convinced it's particularly imbalanced compared to the raw damage outputs of the Tsunami or Flairon, or the general versatility of the Snowman Cannon. In 1.3 I had dropped it from my hotbar once I got the Arcanum.

The block collision is definitely the biggest issue with the Nightglow, but I find that even in the air it underperforms compared to the Nebula Blaze and current Razorblade Typhoon. I haven't found any situations outside of the niche use cases I listed where the Nightglow performed better in overall DPS compared to other weapons around the same tier. In pillar and moon events my current setup with the Nightglow (speaking strictly airborne) has me hovering at 800-1300 DPS - with many weapon uses wasted on whiffed shots with no enemies nearby, whereas the Nebula Blaze puts out a consistent 1.5-2k on anything, the Nebula Arcanum usually hovering around 1.2k and spiking up to 3k DPS once something stands still for long enough, and the Razorblade Typhoon doing comparable overall DPS to the Nebula Blaze.

Last edited:

This is the first time I'm hearing the Razorblade Typhoon is going to get nerfed! Do you have any idea of what kinds of nerfs it might receive?
It is true though that the weapon makes post-Plantera dungeon a breeze. Still, Nightglow's theoretical DPS is going to always be lower than Razorblade typhoon's, even if the nerf turns out to be giving the enemies piercing invincibility for 10 ticks instead of Razorblade's 6 (333.33 theoretical Nightglow DPS vs. 360 NERFED Razorblade Typhoon DPS vs. 600 CURRENT Razorblade Typhoon DPS). And seeing how Duke Fishron is supposed to be fought after Golem, it would make sense that the Razorblade Typhoon is as strong as it is right now.

This is the first time I'm hearing the Razorblade Typhoon is going to get nerfed! Do you have any idea of what kinds of nerfs it might receive?
It is true though that the weapon makes post-Plantera dungeon a breeze. Still, Nightglow's theoretical DPS is going to always be lower than Razorblade typhoon's, even if the nerf turns out to be giving the enemies piercing invincibility for 10 ticks instead of Razorblade's 6 (333.33 theoretical Nightglow DPS vs. 360 NERFED Razorblade Typhoon DPS vs. 600 CURRENT Razorblade Typhoon DPS). And seeing how Duke Fishron is supposed to be fought after Golem, it would make sense that the Razorblade Typhoon is as strong as it is right now.
Note that everything that has been included in a "nerf list" in this thread isn't necessarily going to get nerfed, even if it's supported by Leinfors, since he may need approval from Red to go through with it. With that said, Razorblade problem isn't dps, but rather how easy it is to use, you can use it in pretty much any situation without even needing to aim, it isn't the strongest weapon you can get at this point of the game, but it's one of the best due to its ability to last so long.
And I did argue Empress is harder than Fishron (may be an oversight considering I fought Fishron a lot more times, but definitively feels like it), of course, this doesn't mean Empress drops should be better, but balancing them a little would be good.

Chlorophyte needs a summoning helmet variant. I don't exactly recall the times I've actually used the armor but some variation would be nice.
Possible stats:
4 defense (for a total of 35 defense)
10% increased summon damage
Increases max amount of minions by 1
Set bonus: Grants a leaf crystal and increases max amount of minions by 3 (for a total of 5)
Overall damage should be lower than Tiki armor in my opinion.

Oh yeah and make the summons do critical hit damage regardless of tag.

Chlorophyte needs a summoning helmet variant. I don't exactly recall the times I've actually used the armor but some variation would be nice.
Possible stats:
4 defense (for a total of 35 defense)
10% increased summon damage
Increases max amount of minions by 1
Set bonus: Grants a leaf crystal and increases max amount of minions by 3 (for a total of 5)
Overall damage should be lower than Tiki armor in my opinion.

Oh yeah and make the summons do critical hit damage regardless of tag.
Hurts to say that I agree, but I think it's unlikely to happen, since that would be new content (which has been dismissed a couple of times in this thread).

I think crit summon was suggested a few times too, and apparently the problem is how crit is coded in game, don't recall if there was any effort to try to implement that.
Both are good suggestions in my book though, and I would like to see them, still pretty unlikely.

I've just realized something concerning debuffs too.
Enemies' health gets multiplied x2 in expert mode, x3 in master mode. Defense also becomes stronger. Therefore Ichor's effectiveness is increased when you play in harder modes, because its -20 defense reduction actually makes you deal 20 more DMG per hit in Master, vs 15 in Expert, vs. 10 in Normal. This point does not stand because enemies' defense is not multiplied like players' defense is. The same cannot be said for life reducing debuffs. On Fire! always causes NPCs to lose 4 health per second regardless of difficulty, Cursed Inferno always causes NPCs to lose 12 health per second, you get the idea. These debuffs are less effective in higher difficulties because they make the enemies lose a smaller percentage of their health.

A buff would be interesting and has two ways of playing out.

The first one is multiplying the debuff's damage against NPCs (not players) by the gamemode's difficulty. This is the path I'd recommend, because it is easier and it would actually make the debate of Cursed Inferno vs Ichor worthwhile (the former now being capable of dealing 36 dmg per second in Master mode, or 252 dmg from a cursed arrow inflicting the debuff over the span of 7 seconds). In my opinion, the debuff multipliers shouldn't affect the player. Just getting hit from a cursed inferno shot from Spazmatism would make you lose at least 72 hp.

The second is multiplying the debuff's damage by 1.5 in Expert mode and by 2 in Master mode to better match Ichor effectiveness. This would still be an adequate buff, even though it would reduce the time to kill of regular enemies. With the current stats you aren't going to rely on debuffs to finish enemies, anyway. A multiplier could change this, especially in early-hardmode when you are in serious need of firepower.

If the devs were to notice this and actually implement the feature, is it a good idea to raise Daybroken and Celled's effectiveness with these multipliers? Both are very powerful debuffs already. It would certainly make the Cell staff and the Daybreak worthwhile, it might also make the Daybreak stronger than the Solar Eclipse in higher difficulties!

As it turns out, the Terraria Wiki doesn't have a page about the Celled debuff, so I resorted to testing out myself.
The Daybroken effect can be found in the wiki and works as follows:
It is inflicted by a solar weapon, deals 25 damage every 15 ticks, and if inflicted multiple times by the Daybreak, can stack with itself up to 200 damage every 15 ticks. This results in a debuff DPS of 800, which can be potentially raised to 2400 with the highest multiplier suggestion. This would also make the Daybreak stronger than the Star Wrath!
Star Wrath's DPS is around (110+220*3)*60/16 = 2887.5 DPS
Daybreak's DPS would be around 150*60/16 + 2400 = 2962.5 DPS (vs. unbuffed 1362.5 DPS, vs. 2162.5 DPS with x2 multiplier)
And for comparison, Solar Eruption's DPS (presuming it hits enemies at an average of 4 times) would be around 105*4*60/20 + 300 = 1560 DPS (vs. unbuffed 1360 DPS)
While the Daybreak's DPS is slightly higher in normal gameplay, it is easier to hit enemies with the Solar Eruption, therefore increasing its practical DPS.

The Celled effect is not found in the wiki, but after testing it (probably) works as follows:
It is inflicted by the Stardust Cell staff, deals 10 damage every 30 ticks, and if inflicted multiple times by the cells, can stack with itself up to 100 damage every 30 ticks. If a stardust cell disappears before the 30 ticks have elapsed, the enemy will take an additional tick of damage, for some reason. This results in a debuff DPS of 200, which can be potentially raised to 600 with the highest multiplier suggestion.
Comparison with 6 minions:
The Stardust Dragon staff would deal 40(1.69+.46*5)*60/8 = 1197 DPS (After further testing, the Stardust Dragon doesn't seem to grant 10 ticks of invincibility to enemies. Instead, it feels like it attacks them every 8 ticks!)
The Stardust Cell staff would deal 6*60*60/36 + 600 = 1200 DPS (vs. 800 DPS unbuffed)
I was going to test out the Terraprisma DPS but its multiple attacks make it hard to estimate its general DPS. Might make a thread about it later.

TL;DR: Presuming highest multiplier suggestion is applied to each weapon.
The Stardust Cell staff's DPS would finally begin to rival that of the Stardust Dragon staff, but only past 6 minions. Maybe.
On the other hand, the Daybreak's debuff would enter overpowered territory, inciting no buff to Daybroken debuff, not even with a x2 multiplier because its theoretical DPS would begin to rival that of the Star Wrath.

From these tests, it feels like buffing debuffs to be in accordance with Ichor effectiveness would be the better choice. I still believe that earlier debuffs should be multiplied in accordance to the enemies' stats multiplier to make their TTK roughly equal in every gamemode. (Except journey mode's 0.5 multiplier, probably.)

Last edited:
I've just realized something concerning debuffs too.
Enemies' health gets multiplied x2 in expert mode, x3 in master mode. Defense also becomes stronger. Therefore Ichor's effectiveness is increased when you play in harder modes, because its -20 defense reduction actually makes you deal 20 more DMG per hit in Master, vs 15 in Expert, vs. 10 in Normal. The same cannot be said for life reducing debuffs. On Fire! always causes NPCs to lose 4 health per second regardless of difficulty, Cursed Inferno always causes NPCs to lose 12 health per second, you get the idea. These debuffs are less effective in higher difficulties because they make the enemies lose a smaller percentage of their health.

A buff would be interesting and has two ways of playing out.

The first one is multiplying the debuff's damage against NPCs (not players) by the gamemode's difficulty. This is the path I'd recommend, because it is easier and it would actually make the debate of Cursed Inferno vs Ichor worthwhile (the former now being capable of dealing 36 dmg per second in Master mode, or 252 dmg from a cursed arrow inflicting the debuff over the span of 7 seconds). In my opinion, the debuff multipliers shouldn't affect the player. Just getting hit from a cursed inferno shot from Spazmatism would make you lose at least 72 hp.

The second is multiplying the debuff's damage by 1.5 in Expert mode and by 2 in Master mode to better match Ichor effectiveness. This would still be an adequate buff, even though it would reduce the time to kill of regular enemies. With the current stats you aren't going to rely on debuffs to finish enemies, anyway. A multiplier could change this, especially in early-hardmode when you are in serious need of firepower.

If the devs were to notice this and actually implement the feature, is it a good idea to raise Daybroken and Celled's effectiveness with these multipliers? Both are very powerful debuffs already. It would certainly make the Cell staff and the Daybreak worthwhile, it might also make the Daybreak stronger than the Solar Eclipse in higher difficulties!

As it turns out, the Terraria Wiki doesn't have a page about the Celled debuff, so I resorted to testing out myself.
The Daybroken effect can be found in the wiki and works as follows:
It is inflicted by a solar weapon, deals 25 damage every 15 ticks, and if inflicted multiple times by the Daybreak, can stack with itself up to 200 damage every 15 ticks. This results in a debuff DPS of 800, which can be potentially raised to 2400 with the highest multiplier suggestion. This would also make the Daybreak stronger than the Star Wrath!
Star Wrath's DPS is around (110+220*3)*60/16 = 2887.5 DPS
Daybreak's DPS would be around 150*60/16 + 2400 = 2962.5 DPS (vs. unbuffed 1362.5 DPS, vs. 2162.5 DPS with x2 multiplier)
And for comparison, Solar Eruption's DPS (presuming it hits enemies at an average of 4 times) would be around 105*4*60/20 + 300 = 1560 DPS (vs. unbuffed 1360 DPS)
While the Daybreak's DPS is slightly higher in normal gameplay, it is easier to hit enemies with the Solar Eruption, therefore increasing its practical DPS.

The Celled effect is not found in the wiki, but after testing it (probably) works as follows:
It is inflicted by the Stardust Cell staff, deals 10 damage every 30 ticks, and if inflicted multiple times by the cells, can stack with itself up to 100 damage every 30 ticks. If a stardust cell disappears before the 30 ticks have elapsed, the enemy will take an additional tick of damage, for some reason. This results in a debuff DPS of 200, which can be potentially raised to 600 with the highest multiplier suggestion.
Comparison with 6 minions:
The Stardust Dragon staff would deal 40(1.69+.46*5)*60/8 = 1197 DPS (After further testing, the Stardust Dragon doesn't seem to grant 10 ticks of invincibility to enemies. Instead, it feels like it attacks them every 8 ticks!)
The Stardust Cell staff would deal 6*60*60/36 + 600 = 1200 DPS (vs. 800 DPS unbuffed)
I was going to test out the Terraprisma DPS but its multiple attacks make it hard to estimate its general DPS. Might make a thread about it later.

TL;DR: Presuming highest multiplier suggestion is applied to each weapon.
The Stardust Cell staff's DPS would finally begin to rival that of the Stardust Dragon staff, but only past 6 minions. Maybe.
On the other hand, the Daybreak's debuff would enter overpowered territory, inciting no buff to Daybroken debuff, not even with a x2 multiplier because its theoretical DPS would begin to rival that of the Star Wrath.

From these tests, it feels like buffing debuffs to be in accordance with Ichor effectiveness would be the better choice. I still believe that earlier debuffs should be multiplied in accordance to the enemies' stats multiplier to make their TTK roughly equal in every gamemode. (Except journey mode's 0.5 multiplier, probably.)
The defense multiplier only applies to players and not enemies. If you're noticing a difference, it's because enemy defense probably is raised in Expert.

The defense multiplier only applies to players and not enemies. If you're noticing a difference, it's because enemy defense probably is raised in Expert.
Oh, well I still think debuffs should be buffed according to difficulty, the TTK is just so high that they're practically negligible in Master. Good to know though.

Oh, well I still think debuffs should be buffed according to difficulty, the TTK is just so high that they're practically negligible in Master. Good to know though.
There isn't much ground to buff DoTs specifically with modes. Regular weapon that does X DPS will take thrice as long killing Master Mode zombie; weapon with DoT that does same DPS will also take thrice as long in Master.

I do agree that they are rather negligible, but that's a result of them initially being few power tiers below direct damage, so it should be fixed accordingly, without messing up the system even more.

There isn't much ground to buff DoTs specifically with modes. Regular weapon that does X DPS will take thrice as long killing Master Mode zombie; weapon with DoT that does same DPS will also take thrice as long in Master.

I do agree that they are rather negligible, but that's a result of them initially being few power tiers below direct damage, so it should be fixed accordingly, without messing up the system even more.
At the very least it would make people question the choice of Ichor vs. Cursed Flames. As of right now it is obvious that Ichor is the better pick, nearly all the time. Cursed Flames ignore all defense, but their damage output is very low. Meanwhile Ichor reduces defense, but you need to attack enemies while the debuff is active to deal more damage.

That is interesting. To me it has always felt like Duke Fishron's gear is important for me in order to even have a shot at the Frost/Pumpkin Moons and Martian Madness. In many of my playthroughs even my own personal Master Mode playthrough which I've been focusing hard on since the update came out, I end up defeating Fishron before Plantera. Before 1.3, they felt like some of the best weapons in the game, possibly because I couldn't really get deep into the Holiday Moons without them in the first place.

I'm interested in experimenting with the Empress of Light's weapons to see how they do during the other events. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of feedback to give on those right now, but given her tier, they should be very close to power in Fishron/Holiday Moon weapons. I am also interested to see if they will be Moon Lord viable.

So far the Hallowed Armor buff which used to be the Titanium armor buff has really made it incredible, perhaps even slightly overpowered. To the point where I feel I might be able to finish the rest of my Master Mode playthrough without even getting any of the Chlorophyte Armors or Beetle Armor. I think the buff is far better suited on Hallowed Armor compared to Titanium. With how Titanium is now, people won't feel the need to have it as part of their build as badly.

The Shadowflame weapons in my opinion have always felt pretty powerful. I'm honestly surprised none of them got nerfed in this update. For general enemies they remain viable even throughout the Hardmode Jungle and even Dungeon and the Knives and Bow can easily take down Plantera on Normal Mode despite being early hardmode weapons. I checked for myself when I used Shadowflame Knives and Hallowed Armor while exploring the Jungle for Chlorophyte and Life Fruit on Master Mode and didn't really die many times.

(note i play console so i dont know if this works anymore) when i kill planterra i normally rush the moons so i get easy weapons from the bosses and mini bosses and i think the magic weapon from everscream is one of the best, and i cant remember the name at this moment sorry
edit: it is the razorpine, i just remember the name

Alright so having played enough of 1.4 to feel I can Comment I'll leave my thoughts thus far.

The Underground Desert is way too different relative to difficulty versus loot with the area being harder than the Ice biome that its loot seems to compare to statistically. I would suggest boosting the weapons's stats to better compare to its difficulty rather than Nerfing the biome which is just behind the Dungeon and Underground Jungle in terms of difficulty. Cavern and Ice tier weapons largely lack the knockback to keep enemies at bay virtually requiring post evil boss tier loot or better to handle the enemies not even considering the problems provided by the traps. Also the Snake Charmer Flute is such a disappointment to find as it is basically glorified rope but worse I wish it was either a Early summoner weapon or a pet as both of those would be far more worthwhile than a rope that despawns. Even the Stone of Encumbering is more useful than a Snake Charmer Flute. Right now only the only things worthwhile from Desert Chests are Dunerider Boots, Ancient Chisel, Bast Statue and Magic Conch. Additionally It might be worth making the Amber staff work a little differently from the other Gem staves as it is far more difficult to acquire as Platinum/Gold seem to be the bare minimum one can get by with in the desert though one small mistake will ruin you and any antlion charger in a narrow tunnel is likely a death sentence without evil biome+ tier weapons.

Another example of disproportionate loot to difficulty is the Blood Moon fishing enemies as compared to other miniboss enemies like the Corrupt Mimic, Crimson Mimic, Hallowed Mimic, Ice Golem, Mothron, Paladin, Sand Elemental or Wyvern the odds of dropping loot relative to the gear needed to find and kill them effectively supersedes any of the Gear they drop. Either the items need a buff or the enemies need to be nerfed and or have drop rates and catch chances boosted.

The OOA T3 is another place which could use some gear buffs as the stuff was barely worth the effort in 1.3 and further buffs have probably tipped it over the edge but I haven't gotten that for in my playthrough as I tend to play at a slower pace particularly when it comes to protect the world from the spreading biomes.

Alternatively, make it so you can obtain 3 weapons per pillar. There was a thread going on that the Vortex Pillar should have a rocket themed weapon, a black hole launcher, and a binary star flail for the Solar pillar, although I think it should be a sword that has an ability to reflect projectiles with cooldown, like selenians do, and maybe fire a projectile or two. Plus you can already craft every single weapon that can be obtained from a single pillar defeat, on expert mode and higher. A third option would force you to choose just two weapons
Can I argue for a spear rather than yet another sword? There are so many swords late game that it is ridiculous, every event and boss has at least one associated sword please no more swords we already have more than enough with over 50% of the existing ones being largely redundant or outright outclassed... Adding another Just exacerbates the existing problems. >_< The reflection idea is cool though but it doesn't need to be on a sword, perhaps the effect could be tied to an after image the spear's stab leaves which reflects/deflects particular enemy projectiles base doff the concept of magnetic streamers found in the atmospheres of stars like our Sun fitting into the solar Theme... (Remember Daybreak is not a spear but a Javelin) The weapon could be named Prominence and would solve the issue of their only being a single post Plantera spear in the game namely the North Pole from the Ice Queen. If a Spear doesn't work the second best option would be a Boomerang type weapon as there is only Two post Plantera though a true flail is certainly a viable option the lack of one could also be solved by adding the true flail mechanic to the Flairon.

A third pillar weapon though really should happen, back in 1.3 I had left a thread regarding a launcher 3rd variant which would have two explosions a weak negligible damage "blast" with reverse "knock-back" to knock enemies into the initial blast and then a second blast which would do the weapons full damage. For Mage I would suggest a lingering weapon for a third Imagine a little accretion disk that after a short delay blasts out two astrophysical jets dealing high damage? The need isn't as high for Melee or Magic as it is for Ranged, which has no weapon to go with the Shroomite (Rocket Helmet), or Summoner which lacks a Lunar tier whip but both would benefit from an additional weapon making it all around a good idea which would enable all three Shroomite helms to be placed on even ground and help streamline Summoner's experience as they currently need to complete multiple events to

On another note one thing that crossed my mind is would it be possible to apply the unique dual attack mechanic from some of the OOA weapons outside the event? It might be a bit intensive mechanically but it could enable the Flairon if changed to maintain its old behavior as an alt click attack. I am sure a lot of other weapons could benefit from this sort of mechanic perhaps an alt attack could help redeem sub par weapons like the breaker blade for example?

Speaking of which the Betsy Loot could use a buff too as Leinfors acknowledged... Stats would be sufficient there as the weapons are interesting in their own right with cool mechanics like alt fire modes they just happen to be a bit inferior to comparable items. The only other changes I would consider would be a Betsy expert item for her treasure bag which currently lacks one, triggering my OCD, and or a minion staff to benefit normal summoners but those both fall outside the scope of this thread.

One of the major issues overlying pretty much all of these problems is that it doesn't seem like much thought has been provided for weapon diversity since 1.2 an issue which has only been exacerbated in 1.4. A particular standout example is Yo-yos where there are a number which seem overlooke

Alright so having played enough of 1.4 to feel I can Comment I'll leave my thoughts thus far.

The Underground Desert is way too different relative to difficulty versus loot with the area being harder than the Ice biome that its loot seems to compare to statistically. I would suggest boosting the weapons's stats to better compare to its difficulty rather than Nerfing the biome which is just behind the Dungeon and Underground Jungle in terms of difficulty. Cavern and Ice tier weapons largely lack the knockback to keep enemies at bay virtually requiring post evil boss tier loot or better to handle the enemies not even considering the problems provided by the traps. Also the Snake Charmer Flute is such a disappointment to find as it is basically glorified rope but worse I wish it was either a Early summoner weapon or a pet as both of those would be far more worthwhile than a rope that despawns. Even the Stone of Encumbering is more useful than a Snake Charmer Flute. Right now only the only things worthwhile from Desert Chests are Dunerider Boots, Ancient Chisel, Bast Statue and Magic Conch. Additionally It might be worth making the Amber staff work a little differently from the other Gem staves as it is far more difficult to acquire as Platinum/Gold seem to be the bare minimum one can get by with in the desert though one small mistake will ruin you and any antlion charger in a narrow tunnel is likely a death sentence without evil biome+ tier weapons.

Another example of disproportionate loot to difficulty is the Blood Moon fishing enemies as compared to other miniboss enemies like the Corrupt Mimic, Crimson Mimic, Hallowed Mimic, Ice Golem, Mothron, Paladin, Sand Elemental or Wyvern the odds of dropping loot relative to the gear needed to find and kill them effectively supersedes any of the Gear they drop. Either the items need a buff or the enemies need to be nerfed and or have drop rates and catch chances boosted.

The OOA T3 is another place which could use some gear buffs as the stuff was barely worth the effort in 1.3 and further buffs have probably tipped it over the edge but I haven't gotten that for in my playthrough as I tend to play at a slower pace particularly when it comes to protect the world from the spreading biomes.

Can I argue for a spear rather than yet another sword? There are so many swords late game that it is ridiculous, every event and boss has at least one associated sword please no more swords we already have more than enough with over 50% of the existing ones being largely redundant or outright outclassed... Adding another Just exacerbates the existing problems. >_< The reflection idea is cool though but it doesn't need to be on a sword, perhaps the effect could be tied to an after image the spear's stab leaves which reflects/deflects particular enemy projectiles base doff the concept of magnetic streamers found in the atmospheres of stars like our Sun fitting into the solar Theme... (Remember Daybreak is not a spear but a Javelin) The weapon could be named Prominence and would solve the issue of their only being a single post Plantera spear in the game namely the North Pole from the Ice Queen. If a Spear doesn't work the second best option would be a Boomerang type weapon as there is only Two post Plantera though a true flail is certainly a viable option the lack of one could also be solved by adding the true flail mechanic to the Flairon.

A third pillar weapon though really should happen, back in 1.3 I had left a thread regarding a launcher 3rd variant which would have two explosions a weak negligible damage "blast" with reverse "knock-back" to knock enemies into the initial blast and then a second blast which would do the weapons full damage. For Mage I would suggest a lingering weapon for a third Imagine a little accretion disk that after a short delay blasts out two astrophysical jets dealing high damage? The need isn't as high for Melee or Magic as it is for Ranged, which has no weapon to go with the Shroomite (Rocket Helmet), or Summoner which lacks a Lunar tier whip but both would benefit from an additional weapon making it all around a good idea which would enable all three Shroomite helms to be placed on even ground and help streamline Summoner's experience as they currently need to complete multiple events to

On another note one thing that crossed my mind is would it be possible to apply the unique dual attack mechanic from some of the OOA weapons outside the event? It might be a bit intensive mechanically but it could enable the Flairon if changed to maintain its old behavior as an alt click attack. I am sure a lot of other weapons could benefit from this sort of mechanic perhaps an alt attack could help redeem sub par weapons like the breaker blade for example?

Speaking of which the Betsy Loot could use a buff too as Leinfors acknowledged... Stats would be sufficient there as the weapons are interesting in their own right with cool mechanics like alt fire modes they just happen to be a bit inferior to comparable items. The only other changes I would consider would be a Betsy expert item for her treasure bag which currently lacks one, triggering my OCD, and or a minion staff to benefit normal summoners but those both fall outside the scope of this thread.

One of the major issues overlying pretty much all of these problems is that it doesn't seem like much thought has been provided for weapon diversity since 1.2 an issue which has only been exacerbated in 1.4. A particular standout example is Yo-yos where there are a number which seem overlooke
A spear definitely sounds better than a sword. I've actually completely forgotten their existence... whoops. Maybe give it an alt-fire that allows it to block enemy hits and reflect projectiles for an extended amount of time? Maybe also make it get the Striking Moment buff on every deflection and parry. Sounds overpowered on paper but you need to actually land the hit, and its base damage can be reduced to not be as strong.
Sunray
Fires one solar flare (Drakomire's style) that home into enemies and deal 200% of the weapon's damage, pierces and stays on screen for 5 seconds or until it has hit an enemy 5 times. The spear should be able to damage enemies that have been hit by the piercing solar flare, neglecting iframes. The solar flare does not get the striking moment buff.

75 damage (450 (spear) + 900 (solar flare) = 1350 theoretical DPS before crits, raises to 3150 DPS with Striking Moment always active. (upper limit))
22 use time, autoswing
5 knockback
14% critical hit chance
Compared to other solar weapons, Daybreak's DPS is around 1362.5, Solar Eruption's is roughly 1360 DPS

Whereas for the ranged weapon, a Blackhole Launcher really seems like an excellent pick. I don't really see another idea for a celestial themed rocket launcher.
Blackhole Launcher
Fires a slow moving black hole with an accretion disk (on the equator) which fires a gamma ray burst of light every second on the poles dealing high damage to anything that comes by, and also high temperature dust clouds that scorch enemies, this time not restricted by the black hole's alignment. Enemies that are near it are attracted to the black hole, dealing massive damage in the process. You can see this as an upgrade to the Magnet Sphere.

10 damage (Note: I've calculated the DPS completely based on the Rocket 1. If you use other rockets, it may be higher.)
  1. Upon firing the launcher, a black hole is emitted with its equator parallel to the gun's alignment.
  2. The black hole will weakly attract every mob in the vicinity, dealing 150% of the gun's total damage every 6 ticks once the mob is inside of it. (750 DPS). The black hole's size is equal to the Magnet Sphere with Rocket 3s, and is smaller with Rocket 1s.
  3. The black hole's accretion disk deals 100% of the gun's total damage to the enemies, dealing damage every 6 ticks. (500 DPS) The accretion disc is parallel to the equator and extends up to 2 times the black hole's length.
  4. The black hole will emit slow moving homing particles at nearby enemies every 6 ticks, dealing 50% of the gun's total damage. (250 DPS)
  5. The black hole will emit gamma ray bursts parallel to its poles every 60 ticks, dealing 500% of the gun's total damage (500 DPS)
  6. The black hole disappears after 15 seconds, or when a new one is created. If it has been fired with a rocket that doesn't destroy tiles, it will bounce off normal blocks. Otherwise it will destroy them.
30 use time, no autoswing.
0.6 velocity (Magnet Sphere's is at 1.2 velocity)
2 knockback
4% critical hit chance
Can I also attract your attention to the fact the ranger class has literally 0 accessories that increase rocket damage or add functionality? They should add a "Laser Tracker" accessory, dropped from the skeleton commando, that allows you to turn your rockets into homing ones that will travel to & orbit your cursor, similarly to the Magic Missile. There will be problems to such an implementation because of the fact that some launchers' projectiles are affected by gravity. Cough celebration 2. I understand the grenade launcher, the very first you will probably unlock but the end-game launcher, really? Maybe make the projectiles not affected by gravity instead of being homing.

The mage weapon is a tough one. His celestial weapons are especially hard to conceptualize because he doesn't really need a 3rd pick, and he's a mage, so anything can be part of the equation. For this reason I'm going to skip him.

The summoner would really benefit from a celestial whip, though. How about a Stardust Membrane?
Stardust Membrane
Not much to say here. It's a whip.

150 damage
30 use time
12 velocity
Inflicts "Celled" on hit, tag duration lasts for the entirety of "Celled" debuff + 4 seconds by default
15% summon tag critical hit chance

This is it for today, inventing is fun but tiresome. Criticism is welcome. And yes I know that there will probably be no more content for Terraria, but it's nice to think of the ifs sometimes.

Last edited:
Bestiary Feedback

Some entities are missing relevant filters:

– Golden critters should be filtered under "Rare Creature", and so should the Truffle Worm and Prismatic Lacewing, as all can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer. Fairies could also be included, as they are also detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
– Lavaflies are not sorted under "Nighttime", despite only spawning in the Underworld while it is night. (Source)
– For some reason, basic Antlions are only categorized as Underground Desert enemies, despite also spawning on the surface.

A number of rarity star ratings are inaccurate. Here are my suggestions:

NPCs
– Zoologist: 5 -> 2 [Five doesn't reflect that you can get her relatively early]
– Dryad: 3 -> 2 [To match Witch Doctor and Clothier, who also appear after defeating bosses]
– Tavernkeep: 2 -> 3 [To reflect that you have to find them after defeating a boss]
– Mechanic: 2 -> 3 [To reflect that you have to find them after defeating a boss]
– Pirate: 2 -> 3 [To match Steampunker, as both NPCs have similar requirements]

Critters
– Truffle Worm: 1 -> 3 [Better reflects its actual rarity, and matches Prismatic Lacewing]

As I have previously mentioned, Spiked Slimes and Pirates' Curses should be added to the Bestiary (the former being tied to King Slime's defeat).

All bosses' servants should automatically be added when their respective boss is defeated, to avoid tedium.

The numbering and ordering of enemies is currently quite chaotic. A few specific examples:

– Pre-Hardmode enemies and Hardmode enemies are freely mixed in each section, without any sense of progression.
– The giant Antlion variations are numbered before the smaller variations, with gaps of many enemies in between.
– Martian Saucer appears before Eye of Cthulhu under "Boss Enemies", in the first slot, when it should be before either Duke Fishron or Lunatic Cultist (reflecting its post-Golem place in the progression). Alternatively, it could be removed from boss sorting and placed earlier, with the other Martian Madness enemies.

In the filter menu, Martian Madness should be placed after Eclipse, Pumpkin Moon, and Frost Moon, which better reflects its place in the progression. Party could also be placed with the holiday events, between "Frost Moon" and "Halloween".

A Slime Rain filter would be an excellent addition (applying to Green/Blue/Purple Slime, Pinky, and King Slime). Similarly, a Meteor Shower filter for Enchanted Nightcrawlers would be excellent (similar to how the Party filter exists for hat-wearing Bunnies).

The Blizzard filter is present on the Ice Golem enemy, but is not present in the menu. This should be rectified, and would be particularly important if the Blizzard event is changed to exclude regular Rain enemies and have Ice biome enemies spawn on the surface (as I have previously suggested).

Some enemies, such as Nymphs and other enemies from the rare creatures list, should require less than 50 kills to fill out their information.
Good calls on Bestiary entries it has been bothering me that those entries don't unlock. For spiked slimes it can just be automatically unlocked when king slime is killed so Normal worlds can still unlock it.

Oh and while we are at it can Journey worlds be made to spawn the Expert+ only statues or some means be added to craft them say in a graveyard? It is annoying as a competionist that I can't access them in Journey mode which has the whole unlock feature otherwise perfect for completionists like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom