How would Terraria in 3D be like?

OrHy3

Terrarian
One friend of mine said me he didn't like Terraria because of the vertical 2D looking. So... how much would change Terraria brought in 3D?

3D wouldn't really fit Terraria. A lot of mechanics won't even work. It'll be more treated as a different game instead.
I excepted like you, but I would like taking it like a challenge, for example using shift button to get down platforms, or limitating the view with fog emulating the screen border

3D is basically contrary to everything Terraria stands for as a sandbox analog to the metroidvania style game play. The 2D layout is the series defining characteristic. If you really want a 3D sandbox there are plenty of options but they are not Terraria.

3D is basically contrary to everything Terraria stands for as a sandbox analog to the metroidvania style game play. The 2D layout is the series defining characteristic. If you really want a 3D sandbox there are plenty of options but they are not Terraria.
Please don't get me wrong, I love Terraria as a 2D game, what I talk about is just a possible alternative as style and gameplay, an experiment, tough it would be a totally different game; however I don't think Terraria would lose its meaning just because it's 3D, that would be like saying Terraria's contents have no value.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Terraria as a 2D game, what I talk about is just a possible alternative as style and gameplay, an experiment, tough it would be a totally different game; however I don't think Terraria would lose its meaning just because it's 3D, that would be like saying Terraria's contents have no value.
If you want a 3D alternative to Terraria, there's always the most popular video game as of this message being made.

If a 3D Terraria did happen. It would certainly be from a distant sequel. With Journey's End effectively being the final large update to Terraria, it wouldn't make sense to greatly change how Terraria is now. Making Terraria as it is now into a 3D game also wouldn't be very well received by the playerbase as a whole and it would take massive dev time that could go into developing a new game instead.

I imagine it would be similar to Minecraft, except incorporating many of the mechanics Terraria has. Terraria has a lot of biomes and enemies unique and iconic to itself, and they'd have to be designed to work in a 3D environment. As a gamer I enjoy both 3D and 2D/2.5D games overall, I can play between either one. It does fascinate me as a concept and I would be interested if a 3D Terraria game did happen, but it would be a very different type of experience. I'd first want to see what a Terraria sequel would be like with a new engine in 2D to bring about the full potential that Terraria's current engine can't reach.

If a 3D Terraria did happen. It would certainly be from a distant sequel. With Journey's End effectively being the final large update to Terraria, it wouldn't make sense to greatly change how Terraria is now. Making Terraria as it is now into a 3D game also wouldn't be very well received by the playerbase as a whole and it would take massive dev time that could go into developing a new game instead.

I imagine it would be similar to Minecraft, except incorporating many of the mechanics Terraria has. Terraria has a lot of biomes and enemies unique and iconic to itself, and they'd have to be designed to work in a 3D environment. As a gamer I enjoy both 3D and 2D/2.5D games overall, I can play between either one. It does fascinate me as a concept and I would be interested if a 3D Terraria game did happen, but it would be a very different type of experience. I'd first want to see what a Terraria sequel would be like with a new engine in 2D to bring about the full potential that Terraria's current engine can't reach.
In the perfect world, Re-Logic would spend time reprogramming Terraria into a newer engine, effectively allowing loads of new possibilities whilst continuing with the game instead of leaving it to collect dust after a few years (though the game will still be played long after it's finished being updated).

Imagine minecraft, but with terraria grafics and content. You will probably hate the 1° person camera because you can just see what are in your front and for bosses this is very hard, BUT realistic

One friend of mine said me he didn't like Terraria because of the vertical 2D looking. So... how much would Terraria change if it was brought to 3D?
It would change a lot, and I do mean a lot, it would basically a whole other game.

Last edited:
Maybe something like the 3D Metroids + Minecraft.

The main way Minecraft comes up short is its crappy combat system and mediocre progression compared to games like Metroid or Terraria.

I don't think there's any reason why it couldn't work. Though you might also want ways to build lines, floors, and walls more quickly (more than one block at a time). Since housing is much more important compared to Minecraft, the slow building of housing would be a bit of a problem, imho -- and honestly one of my biggest problems with minecraft is how tedious 3d building can be when it is one block at a time (though there are mods that helps a lot).

Back
Top Bottom