Terraria State of the Game - August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make it sound like they have at least partially rewritten the game engine itself. I find that hard to believe, considering how quickly they got the mobile version up and running. It took Engine around a year at least (it's not clear when they started working) to write a new engine for the initial release on PS3/360. That later was used for the mobile port. I don't think they were lazy.

But I'm not a game developer or even a windows programmer. While I have tinkered a little bit with .NET, I have mainly dealt with hardware/software on embedded systems (usually with very little RAM so they can't even afford having a traditional os).
AFAIK there is no console code in the mobile port - it was written from the ground up by DR studios. I think the timeframe just comes down to some very talented and driven individuals, and due to the smaller team, a lack of the beaucracy that comes with a larger studio like pipeworks. It makes sense really - look at ReLogic afterall. They're a pretty small team too. Sometimes that sort of structure is better for just getting things done.

Is there a ways to sign up for beta testing?
Beta testing applications aren't open at the moment I'm afraid.

i just can't help but be concerned with what DRS will be doing to console terraria.

are they gonna end up undoing pipeworks' efforts?

checking twitter, i saw some people asking them to put mobile controls in console or whatever... who the hell would want such a thing?

that sounds like it'd ruin the game, honestly.

also, with them being from the UK, i can't help but wonder if our imperial measurements are gonna be removed and replaced with the nonsensical metric measurements.

that would just ruin my enjoyment of the game.

if they end up recoding the game again, is that gonna remove the console-exclusive vanities?

other than me being unsure of their skill at handling things, i have no clue if they'll be faithful to our version of the game or not.

honestly dunno how everyone can be so sure that DRS won't mess everything up.

just looking at the mobile version of the game gives me a headache, to be honest... hope to the gods that console terraria won't be mangled like that.
I'll be honest, I think you're inventing things to worry about here - DR studios have an awesome track record so far, and I strongly beleive this will be the best iteration of console we will see.

Thank you for your kind words, everyone! We are so glad to have been given the opportunity to work with the Terraria team over the past few years and we wish everyone the best <3 I'm excited for what the future holds!

i'll miss you guys, i hope you have success with your own games!

and thanks again for all the hard work you guys poured into the console version of terraria. :dryadhappy:

Thank you for your kind words, everyone! We are so glad to have been given the opportunity to work with the Terraria team over the past few years and we wish everyone the best <3 I'm excited for what the future holds!
Thank u guys for the wonderful work for the Console version. We hope the DR Studios will do the work properly for Console AND ESPECIALLY MOBILE.

AFAIK there is no console code in the mobile port - it was written from the ground up by DR studios. I think the timeframe just comes down to some very talented and driven individuals, and due to the smaller team, a lack of the beaucracy that comes with a larger studio like pipeworks. It makes sense really - look at ReLogic afterall. They're a pretty small team too. Sometimes that sort of structure is better for just getting things done.
That's my impression as well. It seems DR started with a fresh copy of the pc code instead of building upon what Pipeworks had done until that point. And they seem to have gotten it up and running within only a few days. That's why I think they used something of the shelf, and find it difficult to believe they rewrote the game engine to no longer require something equivalent to XNA/.NET. It simply can't be done that fast. Of course they had to later work on UI and controls. That takes time and it's not easy getting it right as it has to work on a small screen.

Sure, a small team can do wonders. In particular when working with code that you are really familiar with. Working with other peoples code or really old legacy code that doesn't follow guidelines or is well commented can be a pain though. And working on large teams, all those sync meetings that are useless most of the time... And 2am epiphanys are never welcome.

As for ReLogic, I worry a bit about Yorai getting burned out. It seems he's doing almost all the code work. But he's still young.

By "mobile controls", they mean the mobile gamepad controls.... likely as an option... not literal on screen virtual sticks and the like.

I'm sure Switch will retain touch controls though. ;)

(you might be surprised when you try out the different approaches to gamepad that you like parts of one or the other in the end... why not add more #choices?)

By "mobile controls", they mean the mobile gamepad controls.... likely as an option... not literal on screen virtual sticks and the like.

(you might be surprised when you try out the different approaches to gamepad that you like parts of one or the other in the end... why not add more #choices?)
Oh yeh, I just realized before seeing this that they were probably asking for an option for mobile controls on Switch because touchscreen...
Edit: I read through Loki's post again. Disregrd this.

Last edited:

the ps4 controls i have set up work perfectly and are very comfortable for me.

i don't want that messed up, is all.

one change will ruin everything and make me unable to play the game, basically.

i don't care if they add more options for people, as long as mine aren't messed with.

I really should have said this earlier but..

Goodbye Pipeworks!
You did a great job converting Console to 1.3 and also doing the 1.3.X updates!
Sorry that a few people were being toxic about no 1.4 info...
I hope you will continue to be a part of our community and I wish you all the best in creating your own games!
<3
Thank you again, Pigman
EDIT:
Lesiocore says bye too:
Lesiocore(1).gif

Last edited:
are they gonna end up undoing pipeworks' efforts
That's unlikeely, but Pipeworks were next to useless any way, there are still things that don't work that they should have fixed 2 years ago
nonsensical metric measurements
It's literally the USA, Liberia and Burma who don't use the metric system, everyone else on Earth does. There's nothing nonsensical about it.
if they end up recoding the game again, is that gonna remove the console-exclusive vanities?
They won't recode, they're just bringing the update to console instead of PW
their skill at handling things
Or lack thereof
mobile version of the game gives me a headache
That's because it's on mobile; unless you can use KB + M on mobile it's going to be different.

On a personal note I'm glad that PW are gone; they consistently shat the bed on every update and patch. I'm amazed they got the gig in the first place, based on the other games they've made (which I'm sure are fun, but far simpler than Terraria). DR Studios seem to be making good headway on mobile since day one, and hopefully that work ethic will carry on into console too.

Last edited:
That's unlikeely, but Pipeworks were next to useless any way, there are still things that don't work that they should have fixed 2 years ago

[STRONG LANGUAGE]

They won't recode, they're just bringing the update to console instead of PW

Or lack thereof

That's because it's on mobile; unless you can use KB + M on mobile it's going to be different.

On a personal note I'm glad that PW are gone; they consistently shat the bed on every update and patch. I'm amazed they got the gig in the first place, based on the other games they've made (which I'm sure are fun, but far simpler than Terraria). DR Studios seem to be making good headway on mobile since day one, and hopefully that work ethic will carry on into console too.

is this where the community is headed?

this is the most toxic post so far... and it shows just how far the community has fallen.

i don't even think i want to be here, anymore, especially when posts like this go unpunished.

this makes me sick.

this is the most toxic post so far... and it shows just how far the community has fallen.

i don't even think i want to be here, anymore, especially when posts like this go unpunished.

this makes me sick.
Yeah that post was horrible :( :dryadmad::nursesigh:

this makes me sick.

I mean yea how dare he have a opinion.. Even if its a controversial one. Lets punish him for that!
Listen as long as he doesn't flatout insult anyone i see no reason why this post should be punished even if it does sound a bit harsh.

Imagine if people were banned for opinions that someone disagreed upon...
Oh wait i don't have to imagine that , that's what happening on most social media / game forums.

And that's what really makes me sick..

I mean yea how dare he have a opinion.. Even if its a controversial one. Lets punish him for that!
Listen as long as he doesn't flatout insult anyone i see no reason why this post should be punished even if it does sound a bit harsh.

Imagine if people were banned for opinions that someone disagreed upon...
Oh wait i don't have to imagine that , that's what happening on most social media / game forums.

And that's what really makes me sick..

free speech is a thing, but there are still consequences.

he's free to say those things, but getting to walk away without atleast a smack across the face is something i can't stand for.

not saying he needs to be banned or something, but saying he DIDN'T insult someone is a flat-out lie and a half.

infact, he insulted an entire development team who, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't even HAVE our current version of terraria.

defending such an action is disgusting.

if this is how the terraria community is going to be, i want nothing to do with it, anymore.

humanity's rotten core has really been on display in full effect this year... and it shows no signs of letting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom