Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantasm doesn't need any more nerfs imo. Fire rate is pretty good, yes, but base damage is pretty low (therefore more subject to defense) that phantom arrows deal almost nothing on high def enemies, and don't even get me started on the accuracy. If you want to deal high single target dps with Phantasm, you would need Luminite arrows for that, which is pretty balanced how it only starts getting powerful post Moon Lord (It has slightly more single target dps than SDMG, but worse crowd control). Playing as a ranger, I have never used the Phantasm against Moon Lord with pre-Endgame gear, (even Endgame) and succeeded, Vortex Beater does the job way better for me.

Currently, Tsunami is better against higher defense enemies (since it has more base damage)- tons better than pre-1.4 with the nerfed holy arrows since stars no longer deal iFrames (with holy arrows it now deals much more dps in the Moon Events). Compared to the Phantasm, the bow can be easily obtained as soon as you start Hardmode, doesn't take time to charge, fires 1 more arrow, and the arrow clusters fired are very accurate and stay compact with distance. So yes, it definitely needs a nerf, as it ruins progression, not just because it's op, but also because several other bows get overshadowed by it (even the Phantasm, which is supposed to come later in progression and an upgrade, but current Tsunami is mostly better.) Since there is not much time for major changes, Tsunami could get a base damage nerf, since it already fires 5 arrows anyway. Taking ranged damage boosts from armor and accessories into account, I think lowering the base damage from 60 to 45, roughly more than 33% damage nerf, would already be enough. That way it doesn't cheese high def enemies the way it currently does.

As for the other two bows, I think Eventide is already ok, as it still is much better than current Tsunami, and even Phantasm when it comes to crowd control. One of the arrows dealing double damage is a genius idea, whoever came up with that, as the Eventide doesn't lose much of its effectiveness with high def enemies, and lasts longer in progression, as it's not easily replaced that way. Aerial Bane could get a buff, since the only way you can utilize its special mechanic is to somehow stack enemies into a pyramid. It could use the extra damage on direct hits like some launchers. (Although I'm pretty sure the buffs are already underway, along with the other Tier 3 weapons, since many consider OOA Tier 3 to be the hardest event.)

To sum it all up (I apologize for my bad English)- I suggest to nerf Tsunami's base damage, leave Eventide and Phantasm alone, and buff Aerial Bane.
phantasm actually probably has the most dps of a pre lunar weapon. use ichor or holy arrows they are awesome.

(Going off topic in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . )

Dude I am trying SO HARD.

I'm not tooting my own horn when I say this: every single "rescued from the land of inaccessible items" item that came back in 1.4 is there because I fought for it. The Sandstone Walls (the 50+ Ecto walls that I personally got worked in), Cake Slice, Lunar Drills . . . I'm tryin. I can't win them all, but I promise, if I can get approved to Crawling Hand in, I WILL DO IT! (And I happen to want it to be a Graveyard spawn too :p )

Here's the hero we really need. Applause for Leinfors.

Honestly... well i don´t think anyone will even care:

1. I find most of the changes to be intersting, the wings one is the most controversial, maybe just make so those wings don´t have the slow fall effect?

2. I just think that pre hardmode... need more items, mostly on areas where there is little reason to explore, like the ice and ocean biomes, i don´t understand why there are so many water related items, when you actually manage to get them all most likely you don´t need anymore, those items should be more common drops, there also too many lava related items for the little time on the game that they may be useful, while most of the ice items are just like the sky loot, if you go there at very earlier pre hardmode they are useful, if not they are already useless.

Desert actually got some cool stuff this time around.

3. Item progression needs some changes, i don´t even bother doing the "moons" anymore, most items are just bad even if compared with post plantera items and terrible if compared to pillars, old one army has some intersting stuff.

4. Ranged, Summon and Magic "classes" need more defese on armor, even if costs you damage, it´s just too annoying gameplay on master mode scaling.

5. Is there even an point in the " + 20 mana" on acessories other than annoying players?

6. Mining needs some changes, i don´t even see the point of mining for the lesser ores anymore other than upgrading the pickaxe, i just skip to titanium or adamantium armor, which by themselves are of little use, same for the Queen Slime armor, gems could have more use too.

Also... i posted this on the bug section, but when my game crashes, the display goes off and won´t turn on unless i reset the computer, terraria shows no error log.

Last edited:
mostly on areas where there is little reason to explore, like the ice and ocean biomes

Almost all Ice Chest items are objectively better than those found in Golden Chests, there is Ice everywhere so you have Frostburn arrows super early on, and there is even the chance of getting Ice Cream as an Early Tier 2 well fed item. What else is needed?

Ocean is free chests early on, and is the only way to get the Angler. There is not much more you could add before you start messing with game progression.

Almost all Ice Chest items are objectively better than those found in Golden Chests, there is Ice everywhere so you have Frostburn arrows super early on, and there is even the chance of getting Ice Cream as an Early Tier 2 well fed item. What else is needed?

There’s that, and there’s also the fact that a lot of people overlook that the Ice Biome in Hardmode has a lot more than the Desert Biome in Hardmode. Ice Biome has Ice Mimic drops, Amarok, Ice Sickle, Frozen Turtle Shell and Frost Core. Desert has...Forbidden Fragments and some vanity.

There’s that, and there’s also the fact that a lot of people overlook that the Ice Biome in Hardmode has a lot more than the Desert Biome in Hardmode. Ice Biome has Ice Mimic drops, Amarok, Ice Sickle, Frozen Turtle Shell and Frost Core. Desert has...Forbidden Fragments and some vanity.
You forgot the bacon! How could you forget the bacon!

Don’t know if its too late or someone already suggested it but how about make the wings negate fall damage only when gliding so the golden horseshoe won’t become so useless especially with the addition of pre hardmode wings.

Don’t know if its too late or someone already suggested it but how about make the wings negate fall damage only when gliding so the golden horseshoe won’t become so useless especially with the addition of pre hardmode wings.
gold chest items are supposed to be on a lower tier than sky chest items. Even after getting the wings the horseshoe can be used to make a horseshoe balloon which grants better vertical acceleration than the wings.

I honestly won't believe it would actually accomplish anything other than mild annoyance of inconsistent mechanics.
If leaving spectre boots' little flight time to negate fall damage is not too complex, pressing glide at any point is a no-brainer as soon as you get used to that

If something, horseshoe itself would need a buff, but it's probably okay as is since that's horseshoe balloon material (which in turn is good enough to beat fledgling wings)

there also too many lava related items for the little time on the game that they may be useful
They are nice to have in the underworld. If you accidently fall in lava while building a bridge, or a lava slime drops lava on you, they can protect you I believe. I go in the underworld a lot.
3. Item progression needs some changes, i don´t even bother doing the "moons" anymore, most items are just bad even if compared with post plantera items and terrible if compared to pillars, old one army has some intersting stuff.
Uhh, hello? The Frost and Pumpkin Moon give great loot.

The Chain Gun, Razorpine, and Blizzard Staff are all great weapons you can get from the Frost Moon.

The Pumpkin Moon gives the Horseman's Blade, which you need for the Zenith, and the Necromantic Scroll and Raven Staff are nice for summoner too.

There are more materials I haven't mentioned, but you get my point.
4. Ranged, Summon and Magic "classes" need more defese on armor, even if costs you damage, it´s just too annoying gameplay on master mode scaling.
Ranger and mage are powerful enough already, I don't think they need more buffs.

The Chain Gun, Razorpine, and Blizzard Staff are all great weapons you can get from the Frost Moon.
These aren't bad weapons... the issue is that you get them from an event that is just as hard if not harder than duke fishron and martian madness. Both of which have better weapons. The xenopopper is better than the chain gun, while the tsunami is better than the razorpine and blizzard staff it's more accurate, doesn't lose dps from overuse can get roughly double the dps with holy arrows... etc. ok... I'm done ranting about how op the tsunami is...

These aren't bad weapons... the issue is that you get them from an event that is just as hard if not harder than duke fishron and martian madness. Both of which have better weapons. The xenopopper is better than the chain gun, while the tsunami is better than the razorpine and blizzard staff it's more accurate, doesn't lose dps from overuse can get roughly double the dps with holy arrows... etc. ok... I'm done ranting about how op the tsunami is...
Okay, how is the Pumpkin and Frost Moon more difficult than Duke Fishron and Martian Madness? I do die in them a lot, but I am able to get good weapons from them a lot easier at least. You can use these moon weapons for Golem, too. Also the tsunami is a ranged weapon, while the razorpine is a mage weapon. The chain gun is a post-Plantera weapon, while the xenopopper is a post-Golem weapon, so the chain gun still has its uses. I found the chain gun quite fun and useful in pre-Golem, and it helped me take down Duke Fishron in Master Mode.

Also the Martian Madness is far more difficult than the Frost and Pumpkin Moon in my opinion.

Last edited:
Slime Staff for sure needs to be buffed into a King Slime drop, though i'm sure this has been said a million times. Blade Staff should also be a Hallowed Mimic drop, as well as getting a tiny buff to it's damage (like 2 or 3 more points).

Slime Staff for sure needs to be buffed into a King Slime drop, though i'm sure this has been said a million times. Blade Staff should also be a Hallowed Mimic drop, as well as getting a tiny buff to it's damage (like 2 or 3 more points).

Blade Staff does not at all need a buff to damage.

As it stands now, it appears weak when you look at the stats, because you look at the raw stats. But when you consider that you’re hitting at an absolutely enormous rate with Blades. Each Blade is capable of hitting around 4-6 times per second based off rough estimate, giving them fair sum of damage just around that of Spiders - maybe slightly lower, which is fair because Blades are airborne.

However, due to the way blades work, the more stats you pile on, the more busted they become. A good summoner build and reforges could bring their damage from 6 to 9. After which, the Snapthorn, available pre mech, brings this from 9 to 15. The Durendal is an even bigger boost. 15 damage while hitting at that high of a speed is, needless to say, a lot of damage. As you take advantage of whip tags, ichor or other effects, the Blades become an absolute beast.

I thought the same about Blades before I tried them out, but in practice, they are extremely potent, and the most reliable minion up until the equally awesome Sanguines come into play.

Don’t disagree with moving them to the Hallowed Mimic pool though, I mean not only is it a lot more fair than being a rare drop from a rarer enemy, but it just makes sense. It has the same design scheme as Hallowed Mimic drops (which, mind you, is the only set of Hallowed items aside from the Blade Staff), it gives it the perfect spot in Hardmode progression, it gives Hallowed Mimic its missing 5th drop, and, well, Flying Knife.

I personally like to believe it was designed as a 5th drop for Hallowed Mimics to begin with because of all of that, and was either placed in Enchanted Sword’s drop pool as a bit of an oversight or was moved there for some ungodly reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom