Weapons & Equip Imp/Spider/Twins AI changes

My issue isn't defeating dreadnautelus, my issue is that on my average playthrough I only get to fight 2-3 before running out of bloody tears.
In not-so-many words, I'm trying to suggest playing the game with that intention in mind. You're likely to get several or more Blood Moons in pre-Hardmode, before Bloodnautilus becomes available. If you know you're gonna wanna farm for Sanguine Staff in Hardmode, you should plan for it in advance. Battle Potions are one of the easiest methods to doing this early-game & adding Water Candles later on is the most reliable. By the time you reach Hardmode, you should have about two stacks of 20, more than enough to make a concentrated effort to farm Bloodnautilus much later on.

Keep in mind that the stronger enemies in either tier have a higher Bloody Tear drop chance, so treat the Event appropriately & kill things quickly!

The sanguine staff has the same (color)rarity as other pre mech weapons... that is one of the most direct ways for devs to state at what point weapons are intended to be obtained. Nothing you get from the mechanical bosses helps with fishing or increasing the drop rate.
Sanguine Staff is definitely a post Mech item, but if the official item rarity somehow makes this untrue... I don't have an answer for that; considering the fact that Bloodnautilus is debatably tougher than every Mech, is an Event Boss, is rare & drops a rare, powerful item, says different. Perhaps it's ability to be cheesed was taken into account as well but, I won't continue to argue against solid evidence with my own personal conclusions. 🤷‍♂️ 🥤

In not-so-many words, I'm trying to suggest playing the game with that intention in mind. You're likely to get several or more Blood Moons in pre-Hardmode, before Bloodnautilus becomes available. If you know you're gonna wanna farm for Sanguine Staff in Hardmode, you should plan for it in advance. Battle Potions are one of the easiest methods to doing this early-game & adding Water Candles later on is the most reliable. By the time you reach Hardmode, you should have about two stacks of 20, more than enough to make a concentrated effort to farm Bloodnautilus much later on.

Keep in mind that the stronger enemies in either tier have a higher Bloody Tear drop chance, so treat the Event appropriately & kill things quickly!

Sanguine Staff is definitely a post Mech item, but if the official item rarity somehow makes this untrue... I don't have an answer for that; considering the fact that Bloodnautilus is debatably tougher than every Mech, is an Event Boss, is rare & drops a rare, powerful item, says different. Perhaps it's ability to be cheesed was taken into account as well but, I won't continue to argue against solid evidence with my own personal conclusions. 🤷‍♂️ 🥤
I beat dready pretty ez by using the SoC to dash on him when he does the spin thingy (expert mode)

This is neither here nor there, but I looked up item rarity (to understand it a bit more &...), just to be sure I wasn't missing something & I found some interesting anomalies. 🤔🥤
  • Light Red: Seems to contain items that range from early-Hardmode, to items you get as a result of defeating Mech Bosses immediately (i.e. Hallowed Repeater etc).
  • Pink: Includes a wide range of items, mostly consisting of things acquired Post Mech, or items that are considered difficult to attain in relation to what the player is likely to have access to at the time. There are some odd instances that stand out, such as the Amphibian Boots, Beeswax & Blade Staff (i.e. Optic Staff is within this rarity tier as well).
  • Light Purple: Anything typically considered pre-Plantera, Daedalus Stormbow, Charm of Myths & Gelatin Crystal are some solid stand-outs to measure just about where this tier lies, so far as the overall usefulness of an item is concerned, not necessarily taking ease-of-access into consideration.
As I said earlier, I'm not one to argue against official evidence, but both Optic Staff Minions & Blade Staff Minions are considered Pink Tier weapons. I find it extremely hard to believe that Sanguine Staff's rarity is only considered Light Red, in contrast to these other two Minions. As i said though, it's neither here nor there. 🤷‍♂️🥤

As I said earlier, I'm not one to argue against official evidence, but both Optic Staff Minions & Blade Staff Minions are considered Pink Tier weapons. I find it extremely hard to believe that Sanguine Staff's rarity is only considered Light Red, in contrast to these other two Minions. As i said though, it's neither here nor there. 🤷‍♂️🥤

Given that Frostspark Boots are Lime rarity and they can be obtained before killing any boss in the game, I don't think rarity should really be used to determine where an item fits in progression. Looking at Dreadnautilus' difficulty and at how strong the Sanguine Bats are, I think Post Mech was their intended tier.

I mean, should players really be expected to farm from the beginning of the game just for one weapon that will eventually be replaced? Dreadnautilus and Blood Moons are hard and rare enough already, there really is no reason to have the Sanguine Staff be an uncommon drop on top of it all.

I mean, should players really be expected to farm from the beginning of the game just for one weapon that will eventually be replaced? Dreadnautilus and Blood Moons are hard and rare enough already, there really is no reason to have the Sanguine Staff be an uncommon drop on top of it all.
If the intended design was to make the Blood Moon Event, a small window of opportunity-type ordeal, I personally enjoy it. It's different enough from other events & if you plan to farm for one, specific thing, you should be meta-gaming anyhow. Considering the rarity to Sanguine Staff (actually getting it, not the color rarity), I'm fairly certain it's a secret item that most players are intended to completely miss. If you know about it & the number of layers involved that it takes to get one, preparing for it only makes sense... at least to me. 🤔 🥤

I personally enjoy the different methods & tactics used to outsmart the game, I also feel that it applies here. Sanguine Staff is definitely a powerful Minion, no doubt, but I don't think it's game-breaking enough to focus on getting, to the point you're no longer having fun playing. However, if you're gonna do it anyway, at least take some of the bite out of it.

I personally enjoy the different methods & tactics used to outsmart the game, I also feel that it applies here. Sanguine Staff is definitely a powerful Minion, no doubt, but I don't think it's game-breaking enough to focus on getting, to the point you're no longer having fun playing. However, if you're gonna do it anyway, at least take some of the bite out of it.

Isn't summoning a Blood Moon (which are a hassle to farm), fishing up a Dreadnautilus (not even guaranteed to happen in one night) and then killing it (which is as hard as killing an actual boss) enough "bite" already? What other weapon requires you to prepare and grind this much?

Isn't summoning a Blood Moon (which are a hassle to farm), fishing up a Dreadnautilus (not even guaranteed to happen in one night) and then killing it (which is as hard as killing an actual boss) enough "bite" already? What other weapon requires you to prepare and grind this much?
Oh yeah and after all of that it's a 20% drop chance, like seriously what would a blind player think after killing Dreadnautilus and only getting some chum buckets?

I'm trying to stay away from spoilers, but Bloodnautilus is actually pretty easy to kill, it just requires that you defeat at least one of the Mech Bosses first. Most of the items & gear you'll have available afterward, make the fight a breeze, so you can swiftly kill anywhere from 2-3 per night (if you've stocked up on Bloody Tears). I do somewhat agree with qwerty3.14 that something dropped form the MiniBoss should be 100%; I suggested a Bloody Tear item, so you can get another crack at it or free.

Honestly, I just like the fact that it's different from most other events in the game, or looking back at enemies who get farmed, that players usually exploit by building kill chambers. I'm not against any of this, I'm just suggesting that most players will find a way around this inconvenience eventually. It's not nearly as bad as most ppl think, you just gotta try & outsmart the game.

Oh yeah and after all of that it's a 20% drop chance, like seriously what would a blind player think after killing Dreadnautilus and only getting some chum buckets?
I can only speak for myself but, it never occurred to me, out of the many years I've owned Terraria, to fish in the Ocean Biome, during a Blood Moon. The idea to do it never came up until I watched some of the spoilers for 1.4.0. I'm fairly certain, with little doubt, that a newer player is going to think it's a good idea to fish during a hostile Event, even during their second play-through. 🤷‍♂️ 🥤 Bloodnautilus is likely supposed to be secret-secret.

Dunno about game-breaking, but the Sanguine Staff definitely grants you some consistent DPS. It's a weapon that you can really rely on, not a supportive damage boost like most other summons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom