Zenith makes all other weapons obsolete

Well That Might Be Because It Is The Hardest To Get Also It Requires Defeating Moon Lord At Least 2 Times???
By Then It Is Deserved.
(Also Yeah I Get That Its The Only High Powered Weapon, I Agree That There Should Be Zenith Like Weapons For All Classes.)

I think the Zenith just needs to be reworked. In fact, the whole Melee class in general is just a complete mess!!! To start, I think the swords should act similarly to how they do in the terraria overhaul spoilers. They can be aimed, swung up and down in that order, and even bump you in the air when you damage an enemy. There should also be some new types of swords, like one that dashes through enemies or maybe an extra hitbox with different stats.
Second, and I kid you not, less projectile swords. This one might be a slight stretch, but there are too many projectile swords that just defeat the purpose of a melee weapon. There are some weapons that I think should keep the full projectiles like the Enchanted sword, Star Fury, Star Wrath, and Terrablade. Even if removing most of the projectiles is too much, I think they should at least get a distance limit. Make it so that they only go for like a couple blocks and then disappear?
Third, I've always had a weird feeling that melee needs a new subclass. One time I thought of Melee hooks. They look like regular grappling hooks, but they instead deal a small amount of damage and pull enemies in to close the distance. Any enemy that gets pulled towards you cannot attack or perform any action while and a little bit after being grabbed by the hook. Also, any enemy with 100% KB resistance will instead pull you towards it and let go when right next to it.
Lastly, a Zenith rework *GOD IM GONNA GET SLAUGHTERED FOR SAYING THIS!!!!" My main issue with the Zenith is... pretty much everything about it. It requires no mana/ammo. It can go anywhere on the screen. It goes through blocks. Its insanely easy to use. It shoots a bazillion swords at Mach 10 with. It ignores enemy I-frames. The list goes on.
Here's how I would change it. First I would make it act like an actual sword with a base damage off 1000. Ik, sounds dumb, but that's only the blade itself. It would have a use time comparable to a Muramasa. Every 3 swing, it would shoot 3 vanilla Zenith Projectiles to keep it familiar and prevent it from being boring. If that sounds to much like a nerf, maybe the Seedler, Horseman's Blade, beekeeper, and one of the Moonlord swords could be removed from the recipe. Probably not.

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is why the Starlight is my favorite sword in Terraria right now! Thank you for reading this forum post!!!

But in all seriousness, Melee is just begging and praying for a cleanup. Its weapons are weird, it isn't smooth through the whole game, and it is very deceptive, tricking me into choosing it when I first beat the game.

Lastly, a Zenith rework *GOD IM GONNA GET SLAUGHTERED FOR SAYING THIS!!!!" My main issue with the Zenith is... pretty much everything about it. It requires no mana/ammo. It can go anywhere on the screen. It goes through blocks. Its insanely easy to use. It shoots a bazillion swords at Mach 10 with. It ignores enemy I-frames. The list goes on.
Here's how I would change it. First I would make it act like an actual sword with a base damage off 1000. Ik, sounds dumb, but that's only the blade itself. It would have a use time comparable to a Muramasa. Every 3 swing, it would shoot 3 vanilla Zenith Projectiles to keep it familiar and prevent it from being boring. If that sounds to much like a nerf, maybe the Seedler, Horseman's Blade, beekeeper, and one of the Moonlord swords could be removed from the recipe. Probably not.
That would make the Zenith one of the most boring weapons in the entire game, excluding non-projectile broadswords.

Melee weapons having projectiles is something of a necessity, since most Hardmode bosses are either too dangerous to true melee or will actively run away from you. Try using the Fetid Baghnakhs against the Twins or Skelly Prime and see how that works out. You could argue it's a design flaw with the game that it limits you so much (actually sounds like an interesting discussion), but it's far too late to change that. I'm happy that true melee has the occasional niche.

I think the Zenith is fine as is, it just needs new equivalents. Without it, melee doesn't have a flashy, stupid high DPS option like other classes do. Even pure summoner is outdoing the next best in Terrarian, not to mention silly :red: like Last Prism or Celebration MK2.

Honestly the solution is just to add zenith equivalents for other classes. There’s a certain point to Zenith being the strongest weapon and is supposed to be the culmination of the entire playthrough, and nerfing it to be equal to Moon Lord drops or cutting its recipe completely ruins the point.
I think that just ruins the variety when there is only 1 best weapon for each class. Also I was just getting rid of the weapons that nobody ever really encounters unless they really search for it. I wasn't saying that it should be equal to a moon lord drop, unless we are talking about the last prism or celebration mk II. I was going to reply to more people, but I cant for whatever reason... All I can say is that melee would be fine if it only had a few projectile swords, maybe some more with special abilities at a limited range but insanely high damage output. Idk anymore. Finding a way to change zenith to make it reasonably OP like the Last Prism... just hurts my head at this point.

Last edited:
Finding a way to change zenith to make it reasonably OP like the Last Prism... just hurts my head at this point.
Last Prism is reasonably OP? That's news to me. And yeah, I know that Zenith makes it look like the Wooden Hammer, but still.

Also I was just getting rid of the weapons that nobody ever really encounters unless they really search for it. I wasn't saying that it should be equal to a moon lord drop, unless we are talking about the last prism or celebration mk II. I was going to reply to more people, but I cant for whatever reason... All I can say is that melee would be fine if it only had a few projectile swords, maybe some more with special abilities at a limited range but insanely high damage output. Idk anymore.
I do get the idea of wanting melee to melee things, but the projectile swords make things more fun to me. In pre-hardmode, most swords are only statistically different, so it's refreshing when Hardmode hits and they start to stand out functionally. I get the impression that removing projectiles would just make tons of Fetid Baghnakhs clones, which would kill lots of the variety in melee.

I think that just ruins the variety when there is only 1 best weapon for each class. Also I was just getting rid of the weapons that nobody ever really encounters unless they really search for it. I wasn't saying that it should be equal to a moon lord drop, unless we are talking about the last prism or celebration mk II. I was going to reply to more people, but I cant for whatever reason... All I can say is that melee would be fine if it only had a few projectile swords, maybe some more with special abilities at a limited range but insanely high damage output. Idk anymore. Finding a way to change zenith to make it reasonably OP like the Last Prism... just hurts my head at this point.
If one ultimate weapon per class isn't enough variety, maybe the best solution is to remove the Zenith entirely and buff the Terrarian, Star Wrath, Meowmere, Rainbow Crystal Staff and Lunar Portal Staff to be on par with the other Moon Lord weapons and perhaps add an endgame whip that drops from the Moon Lord.

All I can say is that melee would be fine if it only had a few projectile swords, maybe some more with special abilities at a limited range but insanely high damage output. Idk anymore. Finding a way to change zenith to make it reasonably OP like the Last Prism... just hurts my head at this point.
The issue with operating at close range is that it’s rarely viable, even with very high DPS. Maybe it’d be good against common enemies, but Melee would end up even worse against bosses. Try using Starlight against Ice Queen for example.

Projectile swords are fine. You still get a pretty significant DPS boost if you can connect the blade - Terra Blade dealing another 66% damage if you enter point blank for example. Most swords swing faster than they shoot projectiles. They allow Melee to operate at range while still being even stronger in point blank, and allow Melee to... actually work. They are also slower on average and usually have somewhat lower DPS than their ranged and mage counterparts in order to compensate for the range.

And sure, you *could* just use other weapons like the Hatchet if you didn’t use projectile swords, but then you’ve gotten nowhere. You’re still using the melee weapons with long range, just not the swords anymore. If you just get rid of every long ranged melee weapon, the class becomes unviable.

If one ultimate weapon per class isn't enough variety, maybe the best solution is to remove the Zenith entirely and buff the Terrarian, Star Wrath, Meowmere, Rainbow Crystal Staff and Lunar Portal Staff to be on par with the other Moon Lord weapons and perhaps add an endgame whip that drops from the Moon Lord.
Removing Zenith is a terrible solution, in all honesty. You’ve gotten rid of the final goal of the game and the ultimate powertrip. That’s why I think there could be Zeniths for other classes and maybe multiple within a class - so you still have this grand buildup into a great final weapon, without leaving other classes in the dust.

And it’s not like Moon Lord drops become obsolete with the Zenith. You still need at minimum two Moon Lord kills, several misc boss kills, some event farming and a bunch of other stuff to use your drops on. It’s like the drops on every other boss - you use it to work toward something better, and it finally builds up to the Zeniths where there wouldn’t be anything better because you’ve reached the top.

Last Prism is reasonably OP? That's news to me. And yeah, I know that Zenith makes it look like the Wooden Hammer, but still.
Last Prism is fine as an extremely OP weapons because it requires a full mage loadout to be OP. Beginner players that get given a Last Prism wouldn't be able to use it because it burns through mana extremely fast, whereas the Zenith can just be spammed at no cost.

Back
Top Bottom