Starbound Thread

I was going to like your post but realised Everybody likes it. So I guess I already do.

You could throw in humanoid turd men that throw mouldy bananas and it'd make sense. because the lore is.. eh. The lore in anything will suck once you delve into TES lore.

The lore in this game is terrible (Starbound). At least Terraria didn't try. I like Terraria that way. Good job, Redigit. (Or Cenx, if it was her/him).

The lore in this game is terrible (Starbound). At least Terraria didn't try. I like Terraria that way. Good job, Redigit. (Or Cenx, if it was her/him).

I don't think Terraria needs it- Elder Scrolls devoted alot of time with lore books/locations and those subtle nods and winks- because it was more of a reference point for what you were doing and why, having lore to back up a basic "Look draganz, go kil dat wun hes name is alduween"

I don't think Terraria needs it- Elder Scrolls devoted alot of time with lore books/locations and those subtle nods and winks- because it was more of a reference point for what you were doing and why, having lore to back up a basic "Look draganz, go kil dat wun hes name is alduween"

Luks liek alduween iz a gonner. But seriously, Terraria Doesn't. And they put a lot of work inside of Elder Scrolls.

TES lore isn't that great. I mean, they put tons of work into it, but it's like the LOTR lore... it gets annoying to read after a while unless you're trying to become an amateur historian.

Going to politely disagree. (To each his own)
The only places the lore is fleshed out to actually be called lore are the races, I enjoyed the quaintness and the overall culture of each race as it correlates to it's human race counter parts. Also the silly contradictions to each race. Robot knights, Asian dynasty fish people (sushi), Aggressive plant people, Technologically advanced apes.
The races themselves are interesting. They need more fleshing out to be more memorable.
It may be the light-heartedness of the lore that may make people enjoy it less. Because it definitely has that.

It was enough that I killed all Florans on sight due to savagery + constant threats to kill my character, so props for that.

I really enjoy this game, however it is still a "Sometimes" game for me. This is mainly because it is in a low stage of development. I think that starbound had potential and I cant wait to play future updates.

I remeber I was bored and I played one of the nightly builds. After I spent an hour or two figuring out how to get it to work, I made I new character; a yellow spiky-haired novakid named Supernova. As awesome as my new character was, he was never able to fix the FTL drive and leave the planet he was trapped on...

I remeber I was bored and I played one of the nightly builds. After I spent an hour or two figuring out how to get it to work, I made I new character; a yellow spiky-haired novakid named Supernova. As awesome as my new character was, he was never able to fix the FTL drive and leave the planet he was trapped on...

I made a yellow Novakid, and I'm not able to fix my FTL drive...

I only like the mushie ninjas and those bandits because I got a cool hoodie. The enemy bases are interesting but OP with ridiculously low drop rates of guns from NPCs, and don't tell about the cold bar. Who thought of that!?

Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(Want StarBound!!:(
Currently Starbound isn't that great of a game, especially compared to Terraria. It might get better in the future, but until then your not missing out on much...

The game is awful, the devs are awful, the community is awful, and it will never be finished unless Tiy sells the source and someone buys it for an extraordinarily large amount of money and finishes it themselves.

Beta is no excuse for bad development.

Early access is no excuse for bad development.

No, nightly "builds" are not updates.

No, more hats are not updates.

No, general aesthetics aren't updates.

Completely overhauling combat mechanics and how you control your character is a step backwards, not forward.

Bottom line: Stop making excuses for thieves like Chucklefish and similar developers.

Well, since this thread is alive again, I'd like to blow up about something:

Mining at the moment is a little uneventful and a bit of a grind. We plan to remedy this by vastly increasing the number of underground encounters, dungeons and microdungeons you’ll encounter whilst mining. Many of these dungeons will contain some of the loot you’re looking for whilst mining and save you from simply tinking away at blocks for hours on end. We’re also going to increase the range of monsters underground to mix up the experience and look into benefits for sustaining existing mines.

You know, they could probably fix cave generation to make them more diverse. Maybe some stalactities or stalagmites along the ground for some hazards, lava lakes of varying sizes, some other interesting hazards like- oh, I don't know, biome-specific stuff. What if lava planets had some unremovable holes on the cave walls scattered about, releasing steady flows of lava over certain periods? How about jungle planets that have flora everywhere, with brambles and plant monsters with vines to grab on to? Maybe huge collapses of sand on desert worlds, or slippery ice combined with deep chasms, or massive flooded areas, or poison gas, or massive pools of radioactive crap that screw with your stats, or giant effing tentacles that burst out of the walls and throw you around?

While they're at it, some aesthetic stuff would be nice too. Like pebbles and mushrooms! Every underground area needs those. And what about crystals? They're shiny, and valuable, and could probably be used in a whole lot of sciencey or magical stuff. And let's not forget the aesthetic value of skeletons and flowing water.

But eh. Who cares about the journey, kids these days just like to have some stuff handed to them, used to kill a few baddies, then used against some big baddie who leaves them with a giant "YOU'RE WINNER!" And that's what we'll just do here, give players a few big underground structures filled with all the stuff they need to get out. Oh, and hazards? Let's just place some electricity here on the floor in this abandoned lab- no need to worry about the abandoned look, by the way, you can just make it look all pristine.

There. Perfectly good underground.

Last edited:
Starbound is a game I played for 15 minutes, had acid rain on me, lost my pixels, died to the same dumb cow thing like 5 times, and made a little box shelter in midair. I then stopped and never turned it back on.

That's rare for me. I usually finish all the games I own even if I do not like them, just for the experience and my own personal satisfaction of conquering one more challenge. Starbound didn't only not hold my attention, but held it for so little time it's a wonder why I even bought it in the first place. I couldn't honestly tell you why, except for maybe that I already have modded minecraft for serene, immersive and atmospheric building and terraria for everything else Starbound tries to be, and at current, both of those are a much better experience.

Oh yeah, Flameofice, I did find some weird cells underground, but they required a blueprint to use to make really weird furniture and nothing else, and the blueprints were only found really deep underground in chests when I expected some interesting loot.

I liked what I experienced from it but stopped playing it because I didn't want to burn myself out on it before the final product was even out. I will play again in the future.

I still think that when the game is finished, it will be a good game to play.
Most of the people posting have played the early 'beta' and formed an opinion based on that.
It shouldn't have been released as a beta. Tiy was wrong to put out a game with just a shell of an environment to play in.
I haven't played since May and I am still holding out that they don't mess it up.

Back
Top Bottom