How to install Texture Packs on tModLoader v0.11.6.2

John Dark

Terrarian
This was made pre-1.4. It's likely very different now.
Posting this thread because it took me far too long to figure out the answer. Most texture pack installation guides for tModLoader didn't work for me, so I figured I'd post this to clarify some things and maybe help some people out that were in my shoes. Just follow the steps and, hopefully, your texture pack(s) should work.
1. In your computer files, go to: Documents > My Games > Terraria > ModLoader
*Other guides will tell you to change the config.json file in the Terraria folder, you can but that will only affect vanilla Terraria if I'm not mistaken.

2.a) Find config.json in the ModLoader file, and open it using notepad. Find " "UseExperimentalFeatures": false, " and change it to say " "UseExperimentalFeatures": true, "
2.b) Alternatively, tModLoader has a really cool feature if you, in game, go to Settings and click 'tModLoader' you can set this Experimental Features Function to true without having to mess with the files (nifty, huh).

3. Download whatever Texture Pack you want, but leave it as a .zip file.

4. tModLoader already has a folder labeled "TexturePacks" in the Mod Loader file (see step 1 on how to get there), so don't create a new one here or in the vanilla Terraria files.

5. Cut/Copy and Paste or drag your downloaded .zip texture pack into the "TexturePacks" folder.

6. Make Sure/Rename your texture pack download so that it reads "Texture Pack.zip" Notice the space.

7. Enjoy the new textures :)

Last edited:
There's no folder in Documents > My Games > Terraria > ModLoader called ''Texture Packs'' for me. Do I create the folder myself?

um iv tried this guide fully im on windows 10 but its not working is that because of the newest tmod loader update? wait I think its because I have the new tmod loader that came out with terraria 1.4 would that also be correct?

Must the new textures be in .xwb format or can they remain as .png files (like that of 1.4)?

Also must the folder directory be like this:
TexturePacks >"Texture Pack.zip" > Content > Images > [xwb/png files]
?

I have done everything in it and cant seem to get it to work. Are the file names(the images that the texture pack is replacing) the same between regular and tmodloader? or are they different and I need to somehow find them

I have done everything in it and cant seem to get it to work. Are the file names(the images that the texture pack is replacing) the same between regular and tmodloader? or are they different and I need to somehow find them
I actually ended up converting the PNGs to XNBs and put them into the terraria/content/images folder, replacing the originals. It works just fine now.

For me, I fixed by:
1) Turn the user experimental feature on in tmodloader the game, under Settings > tModLoader Setting > User Experimental Feature.
2) Create a new folder name "TexturePacks" Under Documents > My Games > Terraria > ModLoader.
3) Lastly, move the texture pack zip file to the folder and rename it as "TexturePack" (no space, and make sure its file type is zip)
4) Reopen the game and it should work.

I actually ended up converting the PNGs to XNBs and put them into the terraria/content/images folder, replacing the originals. It works just fine now.
I tried that and cannot seem to get it to work, either the name for town Npcs sprites are different in tmodloader or they are kept somewhere else?

I tried that and connot seem to get it to work,

i think i know your problem. what no one is talking about is how the inside of the pack is supposed to be, unlike 1.4 packs that need "content. pack id, pack image," 1.3.5
will not work with that, just the images file inside content
This is how its sposed to be.png

Use xnb file to your tmodloader terraria it's like replace it
To me it work to all tmodloader except if it texture pack from 1.4 cuz it was different format frame for animation

by the way, the zip file does not need to be called TexturePack
it can be called anything. i tested it out with the modded calamity texture pack, and no matter what i named it, it loaded in

Back
Top Bottom