Terraria State of the Game - November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, the additional settings options that are likely to be included (sensitivity and more) will make that easier... but yoyo's are likely to always feel a bit funky on a gamepad. Even on mobile, I prefer touch yoyos (which work a lot like a mouse) vs even using the virtual sticks to deploy them.

I normally use a PS4 controller when I'm playing on my phone and I find the lock on in the mobile version works a lot better than on the PS4. It doesn't stay locked on long though, and I find myself tapping square a lot to reacquire a lock.

Do you know if the controls on console are going to feel like those on the mobile version with a controller? Same with the UI? I much prefer it on mobile now, and I'm hoping it's going to be similar.

Target Lock (which is what I assume you are referring to?) is not going anywhere. It exists for all versions of the game when using gamepads (even PC).

Can we then talk about how the 3DS had different method of target lock ? Like, I played 3DS with my friend for a long time at school and I got used to it, then we switched to Nintendo Switch and the target lock is just awful, it almost never lock what I want it to lock, and even if I do lock it it just ends up randomly switching for no reason.

Make me think, will we ever be able to use a keyboard & mouse on Nintendo Switch ? I wanna play with my friend who only has the Switch version 'cause he got nothing else and I just absolutely despise playing with a controller. I've tried using one of those things that convert keyboard input to the controller but it's just awful.

And to come back to my previous question, did you get an answer on if the supplies were limited ?

I normally use a PS4 controller when I'm playing on my phone and I find the lock on in the mobile version works a lot better than on the PS4. It doesn't stay locked on long though, and I find myself tapping square a lot to reacquire a lock.

Do you know if the controls on console are going to feel like those on the mobile version with a controller? Same with the UI? I much prefer it on mobile now, and I'm hoping it's going to be similar.

I think the current plan is to have the "Mobile" Gamepad setup and some sort of modified version of the same UI (again, people need to get the "omg mobile, ew" idea out of their heads... it may have had its genesis there, but it works quite well, and of course would be modified and optimized for consoles vs just being a straight lift) - along with the vast array of settings and options (barring, of course, any that don't make sense or are prohibited.... like, say, customizing virtual controls because there are not such things on a console) - exist as the suggested default, while also allowing for some sort of "legacy" mode which would mostly mirror what you have now. Not necessarily a perfect 1:1, but as close as possible (UI/Gamepad).

Personally, I cannot agree with you more. Once you learn the muscle memory, I find the "Mobile" gamepad setup to be quite a bit superior to what is on consoles now (and trust me, I have logged hundreds of hours with each). That and stuff you cannot do on console now like combo commands and stick navigation of the hotbar (if you used the vertical hotbar ofc), hot-buttoning of hotbar slots, etc. I suspect most folks who have never touched it just assume its inferior because it "came from mobile"... -_-

Can we then talk about how the 3DS had different method of target lock ? Like, I played 3DS with my friend for a long time at school and I got used to it, then we switched to Nintendo Switch and the target lock is just awful, it almost never lock what I want it to lock, and even if I do lock it it just ends up randomly switching for no reason.

I do recall lock on 3DS, but it has been many moons since I touched that version. Honestly not sure of the differences. I do know that for some enemies, the dropping of the lock is intentional though - its part of the challenge (Ancient Cultist comes to mind). There are also two lock modes - so perhaps one of those is different than what you had then? Regardless, once 1.4 hits consoles, every platform of Terraria that is on 1.4 will have the same functionality here and elsewhere.

Make me think, will we ever be able to use a keyboard & mouse on Nintendo Switch ?

Is that even a thing that Nintendo supports? (serious question)

And to come back to my previous question, did you get an answer on if the supplies were limited ?

They may be for the green version.... so here is a head start before the social media blitz begins... you may want to check this link out. ( Laced Records )

Ah. Also pro tip, if you do use it, I do not reccomend using it with the sniper rifle or sniper scope, it pretty much causes motion sickness.

Ah. Also pro tip, if you do use it, I do not reccomend using it with the sniper rifle or sniper scope, it pretty much causes motion sickness.
Using chlorophyte bullets and a sniper scope with any fast fire rate gun gives you motion sickness. At least on mobile.

I do recall lock on 3DS, but it has been many moons since I touched that version. Honestly not sure of the differences. I do know that for some enemies, the dropping of the lock is intentional though - its part of the challenge (Ancient Cultist comes to mind). There are also two lock modes - so perhaps one of those is different than what you had then? Regardless, once 1.4 hits consoles, every platform of Terraria that is on 1.4 will have the same functionality here and elsewhere.
Yes, it was the same on 3DS. The dropping of the lock did work for some enemies, which I understand why they did that. But now on the Switch, it can drop the lock with ANYTHING, it literally take the lock on what is the closest and most available (never through block for example), so if you, for example, locked on spazmatism or whatever, and a zombie come close to you, it will drop the lock and target the zombie or it will just change for retinizer which is very annoying.

Is that even a thing that Nintendo supports? (serious question)
They actually do. You can plug a keyboard on the switch and you can control the main menu. It also detect the mouse. Although, if you want to play in-game, the developper need to have put something so it's controllable by the keyboard & mouse. I'm pretty sure *some* game do have this, but it's rare. Although I would really love this because I really want to play with my friend on Nintendo Switch but really don't want to use controller...

or you could make crossplay but that is, *I assume*, harder to make than keyboard & mouse.

Last edited:
Will keyboard and mouse support be added to Console 1.4? I played Terraria PC at a friend's house about year ago and I loved the control scheme for it. Will cross-platform also be added if all versions have the same features (mainly PC with Console, not Console with Old-Gen Console)? It would be epic if someone had a server that had a PC player, a Mobile player, all three XBox One players (one, s, x), an XBox Series X player, a PS4 and PS5 players, a Switch Player, and a Samsung Smart Fridge player (last one is a joke).

Last edited:
Everyone :red:s on mobile controls but if its the only version you have they arent that bad. I got used to them quickly and am pretty good with them. It helps to have played lots of mobile roblox lmao

Everyone :red:s on mobile controls but if its the only version you have they arent that bad. I got used to them quickly and am pretty good with them. It helps to have played lots of mobile roblox lmao
Mobile's controls look fine, but PC's will still probably always be the best. You can't do anything with overmap shenanigans on mobile, for example.

i do wanna add, before i leave... i despise the very existence of mods in general, just to make it known that there ARE people who are against the very concept.

i've always viewed them as ruining games, destroying the original vision, and essentially being filth smeared over a work of art.

yes, i gave them a try in the past, long ago... and they honestly ruined games for me, to the point of never touching said games ever again.
I get what you are saying with mods ruining games. However, some mods give "quality of life" changes. For example, in Minecraft (yes, I'm talking about Minecraft on a Terraria forum), when you hold a torch, it doesn't provide light like it would in Terraria. There are a few mods that make allow torches to do this. Some examples of quality of life mods for Terraria add things like a Lava Wader-Frostspark Boots combination (before Terraspark Boots were introduced in the base game) or an item that, when you hold it, attracts all dropped items on screen, which is great for picking up items from inside blocks without making a hole you have to fill, grabbing money before enemies can pick them up in expert or master mode, or picking up drops from events like Pirate Invasion or Old One's Army quickly. Hero's Mod is another example of this, at least before 1.4 came out and Relogic added a more balanced version to the base game (didn't expect that, so great job guys! :D). Some other mods add things that should totally be in the base game, such as a Zenith counterpart for other classes, a bottomless honey bucket, or an NPC that sells boss-summoning items for bosses you have defeated, making it so you don't have to make a new world to get more items for crafting an Abeemination to farm Queen Bee or spend 2+ hours trying to find another Plantera bulb or Truffle Worm for a boss rush challenge.
I am not in any way, shape, or form trying to change your opinion on mods. People are allowed to have their own views that may or may not agree with my own.

Personally, I would never use it just like I never use it on mobile with touch controls.
Honestly I do the same, mobile and pc are the most easiest thing with aiming compared to console. Literally I wish that the consoles target lock just stuck to one target instead of going to the closest target on screen.(I don’t know if it had been answered earlier but is the target lock for console 1.4 going to stick to 1 enemy?)
Not to mention you can customized them to how you want them, which is amazing, I love my own controls.

Console target lock should have a priority for bosses, so it won't go to a random pixie while fighting moonlord - but that could also get annoying if the enemy is in a position that interferes with you and you want to kill it, but can't because it won't lock on. Maybe during bossfights anything other than a boss would only lock on at a much smaller distance?

Not to mention you can customized them to how you want them, which is amazing, I love my own controls.

Same. Being able to bind inventory slots to button combos is a massive improvement. Plus no more grapple/open chest/talk/exit invo all bound to one button. The number of times I've grappled across the screen instead of opening a chest.

The only thing that gets me on mobile now is that when you change to the crafting/open chest and then back to invo, it doesn't remember your previous position in the invo. On mobile it always take you back to the top left invo position when you change back to invo. It makes it more laborious moving items over, as you can't just do one after the other in line. (I don't think I explained that well.)

speaking of mobile controls i do have a issue regarding dashing as i always have difficulty double tapping a joystick i believe i made a suggestion about making it similar to the joystick jump and making it activate with one tap or a swipe.

and regarding the motion sickness with scopes and what not i have a gif showcasing it with a wandering eye

speaking of mobile controls i do have a issue regarding dashing as i always have difficulty double tapping a joystick i believe i made a suggestion about making it similar to the joystick jump and making it activate with one tap or a swipe.

and regarding the motion sickness with scopes and what not i have a gif showcasing it with a wandering eye
Well the problem with one tap is that there might be a situation where you want to walk in a direction, but you don't want to dash. The game might register pulling the joystick to the side as a tap or swipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom