Terraria State of the Game - November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a mobile online server (made on pc) with some of my friends, and since the last update 1.4.0.5.2, they can´t join, my question: is there going to be an update as well for mobile dedicated servers? And if will, when?
Thx

I would also like to add that Fabsol, the creator of Calamity (the most popular mod) has stated that they would not support a mobile/console version of their mod if it was ever allowed to happen.

not that it matters, since the mod ruins the game... but why is that?

are they a PC elitist or something?

Mobile's controls look fine, but PC's will still probably always be the best. You can't do anything with overmap shenanigans on mobile, for example.

subjective.

i absolutely can't stand PC controls, for ANY game... they're the worst.

meanwhile, i've never struggled with console controls, not once.

it depends heavily on the person, i'd say... much like everything else in the world.

Last edited:

subjective.

it depends heavily on the person, i'd say... much like everything else in the world.
you could also say it depends on the game as well like personally i struggle alot on top down games without touch controls you know where you just tap on somewhere and your character goes there? and then first person mobile games as well are awful on a phone environment

Regarding calamity they are not a PC elitist it is just impossible to implement a mod of this scale without performance issues also it would take a unnecessary amount of time

Probably because if they support it they’ll be expected to help with it, and not only would it increase their workload (which they already aren’t paid for, I might add) it would be all for nothing as soon as anyone official finds out about it. (Unrelated, but I totally agree that calamity is the perfect example of mods which have quantity over quality and completely disregard the game’s original intent.)
subjective.

I suppose it’s a battle between how quick the controls are to learn and how much of a utility ceiling they have, then. As someone who uses both, I’ve found controllers usually allow for faster reaction but less precision, which isn’t really a bad tradeoff unless you’re playing stuff like fanmade celeste maps which require so much precise movement and input that you practically can’t use a joystick. Also, I’m fairly certain (correct me if I’m wrong) the console/mobile versions have no equivalent of the minimap being in overlay mode (which has several niche but irreplaceable applications and takes nothing to employ, such as nullifying the BoC’s illusions, highlighting projectiles which do not glow during nighttime, hitting bosses that are offscreen, stealth in multiplayer pvp settings, etc.) and you can’t make potion hotkeys quite as efficient on either of the non-pc platforms.

Last edited:
ngl if i had the money i would buy a pc but for now im stuck with an xbox one. Also you can connect a controller to your pc if you dont like like playing with a keyboard and mouse

that is not the same thing.

a PC is still a PC, regardless of your choice of controls... so it will always come with all the negatives of relying on a PC.

i'll leave it at that.

So, when is 1.4.1 coming out on mobile, any news on that?

most likely after 1.4 is done on console, since their full focus is on that, now.

speaking of mobile controls i do have a issue regarding dashing as i always have difficulty double tapping a joystick i believe i made a suggestion about making it similar to the joystick jump and making it activate with one tap or a swipe.

and regarding the motion sickness with scopes and what not i have a gif showcasing it with a wandering eye
that reminds me of how the camera was on pre-1.3 console. christ that was always weird.

Yes, it was the same on 3DS. The dropping of the lock did work for some enemies, which I understand why they did that. But now on the Switch, it can drop the lock with ANYTHING, it literally take the lock on what is the closest and most available (never through block for example), so if you, for example, locked on spazmatism or whatever, and a zombie come close to you, it will drop the lock and target the zombie or it will just change for retinizer which is very annoying.

Which lock-on mode are you using? (I cannot recall if Switch has that toggle, but it should)

They actually do. You can plug a keyboard on the switch and you can control the main menu.

I'll have to do some looking into this - that should not be construed as a promise of anything... just that I am intrigued.

Will keyboard and mouse support be added to Console 1.4?

As above, cannot promise anything... though I do of course know that the other consoles have more direct support for KB+M.

In both cases, we do know that some folks would like to see this.

Everyone :red:s on mobile controls but if its the only version you have they arent that bad. I got used to them quickly and am pretty good with them.

That describes me - once I got used to the new ways, I could not go back. The old way was too simplified, leading to control conflicts and obtuse ways to do simple things (people forget how it used to be to grapple, for instance). Now, with the ability to customize things however you want (even simulating the old way) and having 4 swappable profiles on the fly... I don't understand the complaints anymore - though I know a lot of folks never seem to head into settings to see "oh wow, I can change it all up any way I want".

Then there is the gamepad from Mobile, which - personally - is just hands-down better (again, having played hundreds of hours on both).

PC's will still probably always be the best

Yeah, well... would also agree with that - but hey, we will do what we can to optimize the experience for however anyone wants to play. :)

Hi, I have a mobile online server (made on pc) with some of my friends, and since the last update 1.4.0.5.2, they can´t join, my question: is there going to be an update as well for mobile dedicated servers? And if will, when?
Thx

I heard another isolated report about this over the weekend as well and put in a query to DR. For both DR and myself, the dedicated server for mobile, as downloaded from Terraria.org are working fine. Do you have the most recent version? Are you sure you pulled the Mobile one down and not the one for PC?

Which is why we try our hardest to make EVERY way to play as good as it can be. ;)

Regarding calamity they are not a PC elitist it is just impossible to implement a mod of this scale without performance issues also it would take a unnecessary amount of time

Adding to this, first parties require an expected level of support for anything on their systems. Most modding communities are less strict/structured in this regard - fixes may come, but when they do, often modders are doing this on the side/as a hobby vs a full time job, etc. That doesn't work as well in the face of a giant corporation that demands otherwise. To be sure, there are potential ways to navigate this - but for a lot of creators, taking all of that on may feel like their hobby has turned into a job and they don't want that.

Of course, things may change with times and situations - so we will see what happens if and when that day comes.

That describes me - once I got used to the new ways, I could not go back. The old way was too simplified, leading to control conflicts and obtuse ways to do simple things (people forget how it used to be to grapple, for instance). Now, with the ability to customize things however you want (even simulating the old way) and having 4 swappable profiles on the fly... I don't understand the complaints anymore - though I know a lot of folks never seem to head into settings to see "oh wow, I can change it all up any way I want".
This is exactly my view on the mobile controls. I was kinda confused at first but now they are some of the easiest and most optimized mobile controls i've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom