Game Mechanics Make godmode unlockable in Journey mode after defeating Moon Lord

poll

• Lock godmode behind Moon Lord.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Activating godmode pre-Moon Lord causes bosses to despawn.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Godmode remains available from the start.

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Lock Journey mode itself behind Moon Lord.

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
I don’t hate the existance of Godmode. It’s fine to want invulnerability in mob farms; or using it to learn a boss’ attacks. Journey Mode is full of stuff like that, like shutting off mob spawns, duplicating money, or setting difficulty to half.

The issue I have, like I said earlier, is it basically makes achivements mean nothing. You’re basically given all the achievements for free, even more so than if someone tried to use a free items server or inventory editor, because it’s actually part of the game. Nothing stopping you from using 10x spawn rates to get the biome chest achievement or just turning on Godmode for the boss achievements.

I think that achievements - at least some of them, like combat related ones - should be unavailable in Journey Mode. The point of achievements is that you’re supposed to actually put in effort to get them, and Journey Mode makes that pointless. Plus it doesn’t take anything away from actually being able to play Journey Mode.

This same logic can be used to argue that we shouldn't nerf anything. Don't like how Reaver Shark can be used to skip almost all of pre-Hardmode? Don't like how you can make yourself invincible with a Slimy Saddle and Target Dummies? Don't like how Moon Lord can be cheesed with a dungeon spike? Don't use it then. Except those things were patched, presumably because the game is supposed to be at least somewhat challenging and we should try to preserve that.
You have a point, but Godmode is unique to a mode that isn't supposed to be challenging at all. The things you mentioned were available in any difficulty, whereas Godmode is unique to a mode that is meant for building things, testing things, messing around, etc. The developers didn't create Journey Mode to be hard. I don't understand why something that only affects how you'd play a mode that is meant to be the easiest of the easiest should be locked until after you're basically finished a playthrough or not useable on bosses.

I actually kinda wished that Journey would stay the same, but it would only be available AFTER you beat the game at least once. I think it would prevent most of the problems people think having godmode off the jump causes.
It would be interesting if Master and World Seeds were too, actually.

I actually kinda wished that Journey would stay the same, but it would only be available AFTER you beat the game at least once. I think it would prevent most of the problems people think having godmode off the jump causes.
I actually like this a lot, and I've added it to the poll. It was said before 1.4's release that Journey mode would be like a creative mode that you would have to work for, after all.

Doesn’t turning off spawns still work just as well for that, though?
Well sure, but that's only 1 example use case, and it still wouldn't help for environmental damage etc.

I'm assuming the "work for" just meant you need to get a certain amount of a material to duplicate it
Yes, I beleive this is what was meant by that.

I do agree with the points about acheivements, but IMO that's a different topic really.

The problem I havr with Godmode is that it basically means achievements are moot. Granted it’s already possible to cheat achievements with mods and inventory editors, but Godmode is an excuse to just fo through and grab achievements with literally zero effort.
(mods aren't available on mobile except tl pro)

I don't think that'd be the best idea. It'd be like restricting creative mode in Minecraft from being usable until you defeat the Ender Dragon and Wither in a survival world with no cheats enabled. Some people just want to go in and use creative mode to have fun and do whatever they desire.

I think that achievements - at least some of them, like combat related ones - should be unavailable in Journey Mode. The point of achievements is that you’re supposed to actually put in effort to get them, and Journey Mode makes that pointless. Plus it doesn’t take anything away from actually being able to play Journey Mode.

I agree with the solution of taking away some achievements obtainability in journey mode, but then there would probably be people who get upset that they can't get the same achievements that other people got by using Journey mode. It'd probably be a good solution if it was introduced alongside journey mode, but probably wont work now that journey modes already out.

Some people just want to go in and use creative mode to have fun and do whatever they desire.
They can decide what they do or don't want to do after they've played the full version of the game at least once. I see no good reason for someone to have access to godmode right after installing the game, when they don't even know what it's fully about yet.

They can decide what they do or don't want to do after they've played the full version of the game at least once. I see no good reason for someone to have access to godmode right after installing the game, when they don't even know what it's fully about yet.

Well the same argument can be made for Minecraft. Why should people have access to creative mode and all of the features of the game at their fingertips when they haven't completed survival mode yet?

The answer is because not everyone enjoys Minecraft for the survival aspect and instead want to focus on other enjoyable aspects of the game. The same answer applies to Terraria. Limiting someone's playstyle behind completing the combat aspect of the game would just prevent many people from properly enjoying the game in the manner they please.

Well the same argument can be made for Minecraft. Why should people have access to creative mode and all of the features of the game at their fingertips when they haven't completed survival mode yet?

The answer is because not everyone enjoys Minecraft for the survival aspect and instead want to focus on other enjoyable aspects of the game. The same answer applies to Terraria. Limiting someone's playstyle behind completing the combat aspect of the game would just prevent many people from properly enjoying the game in the manner they please.
Minecraft is completely different in that all gear related progression is completely temporary and you don’t even gain anything significant by killing bosses. Also achievements are worldside so they are not a concern in the slightest in that game.

Minecraft is completely different in that all gear related progression is completely temporary and you don’t even gain anything significant by killing bosses. Also achievements are worldside so they are not a concern in the slightest in that game.

I'm not talking about the achievements though, I'm just talking about the concept of preventing a preferred playstyle behind another one. Imagine if they limited you from using any magic weapons until you beat the entire game while only using melee weapons. That'd be unfair towards people who just want to use magic weapons right off the bat. The same thing applies for journey mode, even if it's not a combat-oriented limitation. Limiting people from having a more relaxed, building-oriented experience right off the bat until they spend hours and hours beating the game and learning how to defeat all the difficult bosses is unfair towards those who don't wish to focus on the difficult combat aspect of the game. Some people just want to build, and need godmode to get certain resources locked behind bosses.

That's why I bring up Minecraft's creative mode. Why should people have to go through the whole ordeal of survival mode and defeating all the bosses if they just want to build a big castle in creative mode? Why should people have to go through the objectively much harder ordeal of defeating every boss up to the Moon Lord without any cheats if they just want to build a cool castle which includes Spooky Wood? It's an unnecessary limitation that only makes the game overall less enjoyable and completely defeats the point of Journey mode.

Some people just want to build, and need godmode to get certain resources locked behind bosses.
The problem with this is that people don't know what they want until they've played the game at least once. I don't think anyone can say that building is their true passion and all they care about if they haven't even finished the game on Classic yet. If you know for sure that you want to build and you don't care about the other stuff, you're probably a veteran, in which case these restrictions won't be stopping you, no?

Also, if this were truly a major problem for people who enjoy building but aren't skilled enough to defeat Moon Lord in Classic mode, how did Terraria become so popular over the past decade when Journey mode didn't exist?

That's why I bring up Minecraft's creative mode. Why should people have to go through the whole ordeal of survival mode and defeating all the bosses if they just want to build a big castle in creative mode? Why should people have to go through the objectively much harder ordeal of defeating every boss up to the Moon Lord without any cheats if they just want to build a cool castle which includes Spooky Wood? It's an unnecessary limitation that only makes the game overall less enjoyable and completely defeats the point of Journey mode
Again, they’re not comparable. Minecraft’s creative mode specifically exists for builders and isn’t even really the same game as survival. You don’t even need to worry about the game’s physics in that mode and can basically just disable them by double tapping space. Terraria is different in that it’s like an RPG with several major events in a sequence where the game shows you new things as a reward for bothering with them. Terraria isn’t even a survival game and doesn’t even have any survival elements either. Another thing you fail to consider is that godmode actually removes creativity from killing bosses and that there’s actually ways to cheese them which require the creativity that builders almost certainly already know how to employ (for example, did you know that it’s actually possible to kill the eye of cthulhu in 1 frame with no gear, weapon, or even traps needed? You can do it using only cheap materials from the start of the game, too. That’s way more entertaining than standing still and clicking for 30 seconds, and way more rewarding too. How are you going to even theorize, let alone discover, how to do things like this if you can just mindlessly click with no consequences?)

The problem with this is that people don't know what they want until they've played the game at least once. I don't think anyone can say that building is their true passion and all they care about if they haven't even finished the game on Classic yet. If you know for sure that you want to build and you don't care about the other stuff, you're probably a veteran, in which case these restrictions won't be stopping you, no?

Also, if this were truly a major problem for people who enjoy building but aren't skilled enough to defeat Moon Lord in Classic mode, how did Terraria become so popular over the past decade when Journey mode didn't exist?

Well the same argument can be made for Minecraft. That's why everything is given to you so you can experiment with it all and see how it all works. Some people simply do not like playing with combat. You don't need to play an entire playthrough to figure out you don't enjoy the combat that the game requires. You don't need to know for sure that the ONLY thing you want to do is building for you to have the ability to build. Should players be locked into choosing one specific class as soon as they start Terraria even though they have no idea what all the weapons they can choose from are? As for Terraria becoming popular, the fact that something can become popular as it is doesn't mean that the thing should not get any improvements. The ability for people to have more freedom in building (along with many other things) right off the bat is an improvement for people who enjoy those things.

Again, they’re not comparable. Minecraft’s creative mode specifically exists for builders and isn’t even really the same game as survival. You don’t even need to worry about the game’s physics in that mode and can basically just disable them by double tapping space. Terraria is different in that it’s like an RPG with several major events in a sequence where the game shows you new things as a reward for bothering with them. Terraria isn’t even a survival game and doesn’t even have any survival elements either. Another thing you fail to consider is that godmode actually removes creativity from killing bosses and that there’s actually ways to cheese them which require the creativity that builders almost certainly already know how to employ (for example, did you know that it’s actually possible to kill the eye of cthulhu in 1 frame with no gear, weapon, or even traps needed? You can do it using only cheap materials from the start of the game, too. That’s way more entertaining than standing still and clicking for 30 seconds, and way more rewarding too. How are you going to even theorize, let alone discover, how to do things like this if you can just mindlessly click with no consequences?)

You're assuming that Terraria is exclusively a combat game. The game has other elements to it besides combat. Yes, the game primarily focuses around combat, but there is also exploration, building, wiring, and just seeing what the game is capable of doing. Disallowing somebody to play in their preferred playstyle right away simply because it makes the combat aspect of the game less meaningful will just make people who wish to do these things displeased. "Godmode removes creativity from killing bosses" who said that everybody wants to find creative ways to defeat the bosses? Some people just want to build. "How are you going to theorize how to do things if you can mindlessly click with no consequences" You can find other things to do in the game besides combat-oriented actions. Some people are really into logic and engineering, meaning they could find a lot of pleasure in taking a stab at wiring. However, wiring is locked behind defeating Skeletron, which somebody who isn't into high-action combat would not wish to deal with. Godmode makes it so that person can just get it over with and go save the mechanic from the Dungeon. There's no real point in taking away the ability for more people to find more ways to enjoy the game just because it makes one aspect of the game optionally easier.

I've been thinking about it, and the core of this entire debate comes down to whether you agree with the idea of unlockable content or not. It's prominent in many video games: you unlock characters in Binding of Isaac by completing special challenges, you unlock characters in Smash by defeating them in combat, and you unlock ships in FTL by encountering their respective random events, to name a few. This means that not all playstyles will be available from the start. But it feels much more rewarding when you do unlock them, which is why it's such a common trope that appears in many popular games.

Of course, not all video games have to feature unlockable content or game modes in order to be good, but Journey mode/Godmode seemed like the perfect candidate for an unlockable mode. After all, most games don't give you the option to steamroll through the entire plotline from the very start!

Back
Top Bottom