Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Controller (please specify type)
I cannot catch the sea turtle with a bug net.

It does not matter if I use a XInput controller (Microsoft XBox) or a keyboard ... (why will it?)

wiki page
wikis are wrote by players, not devs.
______
The reason I ask is because you can catch jungle turtles and regular turtles, of which I had both of their cages (placed in world) already.
And sea turtles are similarly sized (sprite-wise), so there is little reason that a player cannot catch one.
______
And if you ask, yes, I had the golden bug net.
______
If I cannot catch dolphins, maybe. They might be a tad too big, and that it sounds a little bit crazy catching a dolphin with a net.
Although it's kind of a disappointment not being able to see it anywhere.

I have tried to catch a sea turtle with a net before and got confused on why it wasn't working for 3 minutes.

I believe you can't catch a sea turtle with a bug net because most sea turtles are endangered, for some even critically. Very few turtles live in the jungle; when searching this up you will find that many live in the rainforest, but they are not the same as jungles. Generally, a smaller amount of freshwater turtles are present today, and most species endangered by plastic products are usually saltwater. The devs probably took note of that and decided to make sea turtles unable to be caught with a net. But don't take this information for granted, instead, take it as a grain of salt and do your own research about it.

TL;DR: I believe you can't catch sea turtles with a net because the devs noticed that sea turtles are endangered. But don't take this message too seriously and do your own information because I may be wrong.

They are written by players, but on the whole the wiki pages a fairly accurate. At least on things like that.

I don't know if being unable to catch them is an oversight or a deliberate decision; as there is no sea turtle cage item in the game I would guess deliberate. Maybe because it needs sea water?

no sea turtle cage
It did not show up on the wiki that's the only thing I know
Unless it did not show up in source code (idk how they knew it) I'm not convinced that I can't get it
And even if I can't get it (from the code) it doesn't mean that I am not supposed to get it
______
lol I sound so determined to get the sea turtle cage
"hey c'mere little thing ... c'mere so them zombies cant make you dinner"

Some parts of the code (at least, the data pertaining to items) are known, otherwise people wouldn't be able to mod the game.

I'm guessing it's a deliberate decision. If you couldn't catch them, but there was a sea turtle cage item, then it most likely would be a bug. Same if you could catch them, but there was no cage item.

If you want certainty, then your best bet would be to ask a dev.

I think (though I'm not 100% sure) that they're bigger than most critters. same goes for dolphins too. and so, they can't be caught.

there are some mods, like wildlife, that features some similar, larger critters, like deers, which also can't be caught, so I guess not all critters are naturally the same in regards whether can be caught or not. but deers are modded, and these are vanilla, so it's just a theory, that they're similar, due to their larger-than-avarage size for a critter. but they are set as critters in their code, so they're harmless, and that "guide to critter companionship" affects them. or something.

Sea Turtles and Dolphins cannot be caught with nets, this is by design. The wiki is correct.

There is no Sea Turtle item or Sea Turtle cage, even if the Net could "catch them", there is nothing for them to be converted into for the player to keep.

Hmm. Is there any explanation? Perhaps sprite isn't ready yet?

By design means it was an intentional design choice, not due to sprites not being done.

We drew the limit at "too big to keep in cages" with the sea turtles and dolphins. Some of the other new critters pushed the boundaries a bit (like the owl and smaller turtles), but the team specifically decided not to make cage versions of these two animals, intentionally.

By design means it was an intentional design choice, not due to sprites not being done.

We drew the limit at "too big to keep in cages" with the sea turtles and dolphins. Some of the other new critters pushed the boundaries a bit (like the owl and smaller turtles), but the team specifically decided not to make cage versions of these two animals, intentionally.
also, the dolphins in cages idea could get attacked by PETA or something

Interesting to see how exactly are they "too big" than their ever-so-slightly counterparts. Dolphins? Sure. Sea turtles? I mean, it's maybe one pixel bigger and ... But if the development team decide that they aren't drawing it up ... well, they won't have the hassle of making it into the game.
But if it's not in then it's not in. I just don't want my friend to be dancing in front of me because I didn't have something they do.

I assure you, it was not, and was never a workload related issue. We made tons of cages in this update, its not a particularly difficult thing to add.

From the instant it was brought up, Sea Turtles and Dolphins were determined not to be meant for cages. Can't really elaborate anymore there.

Back
Top Bottom