What is the most useless item in Terraria to you?

The most useless item in Terraria has to be the Pearlwood Sword. I mean why does this even exist when the weapons you defeat the WoF with are already so much better, and not to mention they're prehardmode ones too.

Seems to me... (and I've said this in other similar threads) is that the pearlwood equipment are only in the game for consistency reasons.

There's a bunch of items that are really difficult to obtain yet are outclassed by something easier to obtain. This list is by no means exhaustive, but some are:
  • Bone Sword, Keybrand: Rare drops, outclassed by other swords obtained sooner
  • Mining Armour: Two parts are rare drops; outclassed by wood!
  • Wings: Many rely on rare drops yet you can buy some wings that are better
  • Yoyos: Many are rare drops compared to some more common drops or that can be bought
  • Reindeer Bells: Very rare drop, better off getting the Scaly Truffle or Cosmic Car Key
  • Most early pickaxes: Skip straight to Gold/Platinum
Hopefully some (or even most or all!) of the items are given some love in 1.4.

• Wings: Many rely on rare drops yet you can buy some wings that are better

Assuming you don't mind dumping 2plat instead of using it to get better reforges on weapons, that is.

Getting an Ice Feather, or a Fire Feather is not really that difficult -- both Golems and Red Devils can be exploited with terrain, though Golems require rain and the Red Devils require 1 mech kill (Destroyer doesn't really need wings whatsoever). Red Devils are a rather easy to find mob and you can just duck inside the towers and use a yo-yo and never have to worry about getting hit with those tridents.

Copper/tin armour. Copper was useful back in 1.1 but now even certain wood armours are much beteer as they're very easy to craft and give only 1 less defence than copper.

I'm very late but... eh, I only just made my account. Edward (formerly Terraria Help) had covered this before, and I can't help but agree with him that the Pearlwood Armor and Sword might be the worst/most useless items in the game. They have the stats of Pre - Hardmode gear... but you have to wait until Hardmode, AND you need to find the Hallow first to get them?

• Yoyos: Many are rare drops compared to some more common drops or that can be bought
Hopefully some (or even most or all!) of the items are given some love in 1.4.
I'm a little curious which yoyos you're referring to, because most of the rare drop yoyos are the superior yoyos of their bracket, and yoyos are very powerful melee weapons for how easy it is to cheese with them.

I do think there are a few useless yoyos, but the ones I think are useless are usually the ones you buy (and also Chik, which you craft.) The only dropped one that really comes off as meh to me is the Rally, because you're very likely to have Malaise/Artery+ before you find one - but I have had lucky playthroughs where Rally was a much-welcomed upgrade to the Wooden Yoyo. But for others - Cascade, Hel-Fire or Amarok, Yelets, Kraken, even The Eye of Cthulhu? They're pretty easy drops to get and they're massive upgrades.

I do agree most wings are useless, but on the other hand, wings are mostly vanity options anyway. You're always going to wear the wings with the best flight stats, and then just put your favorite wings on top of that.

(I'm tossing the Mandible Blade onto your list of awful swords. By the time you aren't running away screaming from antlion chargers, you already have a better weapon than the one they drop.)

I'm a little curious which yoyos you're referring to, because most of the rare drop yoyos are the superior yoyos of their bracket, and yoyos are very powerful melee weapons for how easy it is to cheese with them.
It was a general statement, but to expand a little...
In pre-HM: Malaise/Artery (crafted) and Valor (locked chests) are easier to obtain than Rally, Amazon, Code 1 or Cascade.
In HM: Amarok is a game-breaker and is easier to obtain than Format:C, Gradient, Chik, Hel-Fire or Code 2. After that, Eye of Cthulu is easier to obtain than Yelets or Kraken.

Some rare drops are better for damage, but I'd rather find and use something easier to obtain. E.g. not going to wait for Travelling Merchant to bring a Code 2 if I can more easily farm an Amarok.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Tin Shortsword and Pick. Both of them are marginal upgrades over their Copper counterparts, but you have to craft a Furnace and gather the ore before you can actually use them. On top of that, the pick is still inferior to the Cactus Pick.
Another case is the Iron Broadsword (And it's Copper and Tin counterparts). The Shadewood/Ebonwood Broadsword have practically the same stats, but are easier to obtain, and doesn't take resources that could go to an armor suit. Same for the bow.

The normal grappling hook, you need a some-what rare drop and chains, when you can get a much easier and better gem hook, which only requires 15 gems.

The Classy Cane.
It does extremely low damage, you get it in hardmode, and you have to kill the Tax Collecter, which makes it even worse than the Pearlwood Sword.

Paint Sprayer. It's the one accessory I still need for the Architect Gizmo Pack, the Travelling Merchant barely spawns as is (and never sells it), and it adds absolutely nothing to said Architect Gizmo Pack unless you're interested in painting. I hate RNG so much.

1) Any junk item from fishing.
2) Dirt Rod - Why this even exists? Its so useless and expensive!
3) Regrowth Staff - I hate grass anyways, why would I need this?
4) Keybrand - Its outclassed by any other weapon by the time you get to the hardmode dungeon.
5) GPS/watches/compass - I don't care about the information they give, its simply pointless.
Hello
regrowth staff is mainly used for harvesting more seeds from herbs. Quite useful if you are trying to make a herb farm.

also the gps, watch and compass are useful if used correctly and they are also used to make one of the components for the cell phone

im just pointing this out ok

Back
Top Bottom