Why aren't we allowed to discuss modding the console and mobile versions?

PCs can download and place files in a game directory and can download things like tAPI easily, and things like tAPI are trusted and PCs have Antivirus software to make sure viruses don't creep into downloads.

Consoles, however, do not have these protections. Do you run an Antivirus on your console? No, you do not. Why? You don't need to -- all software available on the console comes from trusted sources, same for Mobile.
Console usually verify their code and run it in an explicit environment, so they RARELY need protection (when's the last time you heard an xbox getting a virus?) And again, any user running custom code is doing so at their own risk. It is NOT 505/Re-Logic's job to babysit the people who already purchased their game.
"Tap the magic invisible button seven times, then toss the fairy dust over your right shoulder." :dryadsmile:
Bruh...
xhE2O.png

Do at least a google before misusing patronizing ad-hominim insults with no real facts :D
It's called good business practices.
Re-Logic can refuse to ban such activity on forums, but then if they do that, 505 can refuse to continue to release updates for Console/Mobile Terraria and Re-Logic loses out on royalties.
It simply means they aren't forced to do anything. It would be awful practice, yes but that ignores the point.

Modding for PC used to be against the rules too. Then someone went ahead and did it anyways, as well as posted how to make more mods. Before the forum moderators could do anything about it, dozen mods sprouted and then there was even tAPI. Eventually red had no choice but to accept modding for the game.

We weren't allowed to discuss PC modding either in the past? Why was that?

1- Suing, closing down the site, prosecuting those involved in those forbidden activities.

2- Because those guys [mobile OS developers] are also "bureaucratic."

1- It's against the terms of service, not the law.

2- You're forgetting about Android. I'm sure Google has bureaucrats, but they're not "bureaucratic" in the way you mean, regarding app distribution policies.

It's called good business practices.

Re-Logic can refuse to ban such activity on forums, but then if they do that, 505 can refuse to continue to release updates for Console/Mobile Terraria and Re-Logic loses out on royalties.

505 can refuse, but since these are Microsoft's/Sony's rules they won't have any reason to go to such lengths.

Modding for PC used to be against the rules too. Then someone went ahead and did it anyways, as well as posted how to make more mods. Before the forum moderators could do anything about it, dozen mods sprouted and then there was even tAPI. Eventually red had no choice but to accept modding for the game.

I assume that if a similar thing happens on console/mobile, it will eventually be allowed - although please dont try doing it, as the only reason that solution will work is by forcing them into a corner - If they accept modding, do it by reasoning with them, not uploading mods all over the internet.
Dude tApi wasn't until 1.2. The entire time i've been here (since before 1.1) there's been stuff like tShock, and IIRC red talked about the possibility of adding a modding API at some point. Re-Logic is typically rather mod-friendly.

Mobile/Console: Please, don't modify our stuff.
PC: You can do whatever you want with a lot of our games but don't modify These games.

I don't think you need to know why you aren't allowed to discuss modding here. Really Im not trying to be mean here but it's a rule because they don't want you messing with their stuff. Period. They think discussing it will promote it and it's their rule. And I'm telling you what "i think" the reasons are:

They don't want random yahoos digging around in their software then coming back to them when they :red: something up thinking they want to fix their bird nest of modifications. Or because your bird nest of modifications prevents compatibility with their new update and you go to them and complain. People do this anyway but there will be even more babbling "techies" spamming their support lines if they just openly allowed modding. They want to give you support but not if you went out of your way to break something. If you are the rare bird that knows what you are doing, you will a) know how to fix your mistake without support, and b) discuss it in the proper forums if you can't. This is not a hack forum unfortunately.

What, you don't like my reasons? Maybe their reasoning is entirely arbitrary and they are some evil corporation that wants to oppress the modders and agreement-snubbers! But it doesn't matter. You signed an agreement when you got your mobile device or console and you signed an agreement when you signed up for this forum. You follow their rules or you keep silent (unless you are on a hack forum of course).

"But Hie, we aren't talking about actually modding! We are talking about discussion of mods!"

The bottom line is. You cant discuss modding content for console and mobile versions because the developers, all the way back up to sony and microsoft and apple, do not want you to. Maybe one of their reps will come in here and tell you why. Maybe some of my information is wrong and they will correct me. I will tell you what won't happen though: You won't be allowed to discuss modding content. Maybe one year they will relax the rule. But that is not this year.

tl;dr? But of course.
In before mods: No aggression was used or intended in this post.

• First off technically speaking nobody 'needs' anything, the statment 'x needs y' is incomplete. You only need something FOR something else. I don't 'need' food and water, I need food and water TO live.

• This is just a thread on a forum out of curiosity so there's no reason not to ask their reasoning.

• Them not wanting to be bogged down is no excuse as they already denied any responsability for anything YOU do with it, which means if you break your console it's your fault and they won't help you.

• The PC modding community is and has been thriving and has barely caused any trouble (what has come up was dealt with before it was a real problem), there' s no reason to think anything different. People use the forums for help, anyone smart enough to do even basic modding knows that 505 and Re-Logic can't help them, so they have no reason to bug them about it.

• In addition, in the rules it is stated that CIVIL debate and discussion of the rules is allowed, and that's what this is so far (aside from a few snipes but w/e). They NEVER said they didn't want people looking through their code, they said they don't want people ALTERING it. There is a major diference there.

• And namely, we ARE asking for someone who knows better to explain why modding is considered so taboo. I would assume it's a policy from microsoft or sony, but i've never developed for them so I don't know for sure. That's the point of the thread.

• Making tautological or nihlist claims about how we shouldn't discuss this helps nobody and is frankly off-topic for this thread. If you have an issue with it, file a report and let the mods deal with it. It's not for you to decide what people discuss in someone else's thread.

Last edited:
Where the jibbering goose did I tell you you cant discuss things in this thread? Where? Is it here? Is it over there? On the moon maybe? Where did I prohibit you? Ooh. I know. Under the chair. WAS IT THE CHAIR? I will have someone haul it off to be incinerated immediately! That's a bad chair.

• I'm not telling you what you can and can't do.
  • I'm explaining the rule to you.
  • I'm trying to be reasonable here.

I never said that, and you're still off-topic :p
You said
I don't think you need to know why you aren't allowed to discuss modding here.
Which is what I was referencing when I said I don't think you should decide what people discuss here. That does not contribute to the discussion. Nihilism is not a valid argument in a logical debate.

If you have an on-topic reply to anything i've said, I would love to hear it.

I never said that, and you're still off-topic :p
You said

Which is what I was referencing when I said I don't think you should decide what people discuss here. That does not contribute to the discussion. Nihilism is not a valid argument in a logical debate.

If you have an on-topic reply to anything i've said, I would love to hear it.

If they thought you needed to know they would have dropped an entire explanation in their section. Or perhaps on their website. Or perhaps it's a standard reason that can be googled. But it's clear you want to turn this into a fight so I can just leave. Good luck getting your answer.

Dude tApi wasn't until 1.2. The entire time i've been here (since before 1.1) there's been stuff like tShock, and IIRC red talked about the possibility of adding a modding API at some point. Re-Logic is typically rather mod-friendly.
Right, I meant tshock. But no, as mod-friendly as he may be now, any old TO user can confirm that at one point, modding wasn't allowed in the game, and it took a long time for Kane and redigit to discuss whether they want to add mods to the game or not.

Right, I meant tshock. But no, as mod-friendly as he may be now, any old TO user can confirm that at one point, modding wasn't allowed in the game, and it took a long time for Kane and redigit to discuss whether they want to add mods to the game or not.
And there's no reason to think that couldn't happen to consoles, except that 505 seems to want to kill it before it starts. I'm still curious about why, and don't blame them if it's a ms/sony policy/agreement.

Let's cut out the back and forth between personalities, please. Debate the topic, not the person. Thanks.

----

I'll make a brief attempt to address the thread topic (I'm about to be very busy with the 1.3 release shortly). I'll also make the disclaimer that I am not a paid employee of either Re-Logic or 505Games, but I have been entrusted to my position by both.

This forum/site is the official face of the Terraria brand for all platforms - PC(Mac/Linux)/Console/Mobile. It is owned and run by Re-Logic, but 505Games is very much a partner in both the product line and the community. This is more than just a fan site, it's a community.

The answer regarding Console has been largely given already: the Console manufacturers do not condone modding for the most part, and Re-Logic/505Games have made the business decision to follow suit and not allow it here. It was not an arbitrary decision; the possible downside of allowing it (legal action, loss of access/revenue) far outweighed the upside (make console users happy). That is the policy as of right now, and not likely to change soon.

The answer regarding Mobile is more tied to the difficulties in the development of the product line, which most people know about. 505Games is having enough difficulty supporting a stable game base without an influx of untested, unvetted mods.

While Google may allow the installation of APKs (and whatever the equivalent for iOS is), that does not mean all APKs are benign. Besides modding, APKs can be used to inject malicious code (even inadvertently), and to pirate the game (make it free). Obviously, the last one is counter to the business interests of both Re-Logic and 505Games, and we simply don't have the staff available to examine and vet every mobile download that could be posted. Therefore, the current policy is to not allow them at all.

Discussion of the policies themselves is fine as long as it stays civil and respectful. We do expect everyone to abide by the policies even if you disagree with them; that is part of your agreement as a member of this forum.

Discussion of methods, links to other sites, detailed descriptions and screenshots - all may be considered violations of the policies, and therefore are subject to removal and/or warnings.

We do realize there are other sites that will allow you to discuss and share mods for console and mobile; you're welcome to use them, just don't link them or bring the info back here. What you do with your own devices is your business, but your right to mod your device does not extend to sharing it here.

Let's cut out the back and forth between personalities, please. Debate the topic, not the person. Thanks.

----

I'll make a brief attempt to address the thread topic (I'm about to be very busy with the 1.3 release shortly). I'll also make the disclaimer that I am not a paid employee of either Re-Logic or 505Games, but I have been entrusted to my position by both.

This forum/site is the official face of the Terraria brand for all platforms - PC(Mac/Linux)/Console/Mobile. It is owned and run by Re-Logic, but 505Games is very much a partner in both the product line and the community. This is more than just a fan site, it's a community.

The answer regarding Console has been largely given already: the Console manufacturers do not condone modding for the most part, and Re-Logic/505Games have made the business decision to follow suit and not allow it here. It was not an arbitrary decision; the possible downside of allowing it (legal action, loss of access/revenue) far outweighed the upside (make console users happy). That is the policy as of right now, and not likely to change soon.

The answer regarding Mobile is more tied to the difficulties in the development of the product line, which most people know about. 505Games is having enough difficulty supporting a stable game base without an influx of untested, unvetted mods.

While Google may allow the installation of APKs (and whatever the equivalent for iOS is), that does not mean all APKs are benign. Besides modding, APKs can be used to inject malicious code (even inadvertently), and to pirate the game (make it free). Obviously, the last one is counter to the business interests of both Re-Logic and 505Games, and we simply don't have the staff available to examine and vet every mobile download that could be posted. Therefore, the current policy is to not allow them at all.

Discussion of the policies themselves is fine as long as it stays civil and respectful. We do expect everyone to abide by the policies even if you disagree with them; that is part of your agreement as a member of this forum.

Discussion of methods, links to other sites, detailed descriptions and screenshots - all may be considered violations of the policies, and therefore are subject to removal and/or warnings.

We do realize there are other sites that will allow you to discuss and share mods for console and mobile; you're welcome to use them, just don't link them or bring the info back here. What you do with your own devices is your business, but your right to mod your device does not extend to sharing it here.
Cool, was hoping it was something like that instead of some weird anti-modding thing with 505, I feel bad for them having to dev the mobile one on so many platforms 0.0

Let me just say this here... COMPUTERS ARE EXPENSIVE WHY CANT WE HAVE IT ON CONSOLES OR MOBILE

You can get a PC (well maybe laptop) for less than an average phone that is capable of running Terraria.

^^
This.

Nearly any potato can run terraria.

You can literally go to your local computer shop and buy a $100-150 gaming PC that was built 5 or 6 years ago by some gamer who sold it to the shop who refurbished it and you can play Terraria along with thousands of other games.

This would be cheaper than buying a phone capable of playing Terraria.

You might then go "but what about a display!?" ..... you have a TV, don't you? You can hook any PC built within the last 10 years up to any flatscreen TV these days.

"What about a keyboard and mouse?"

You can buy a set of those for $25. Won't be the best, but it will work. In fact, the computer shop would probably bundle those.

There really is no excuse these days. Heck, I bought a $400 cheapo laptop from Walmart and I bet it would run Terraria.... or would, if I hadn't put Mint on it (I dunno if Terraria has a Linux port and I don't feel like attempting to install Proton or what-not to find out).

There really is no excuse these days. Heck, I bought a $400 cheapo laptop from Walmart and I bet it would run Terraria.... or would, if I hadn't put Mint on it (I dunno if Terraria has a Linux port and I don't feel like attempting to install Proton or what-not to find out).
I've done the exact same thing, got a cheapish laptop and put Mint on it. I haven't tried running steam on it but Terraria does work on Linux as far as I know, I remember 1.3.0.8(?) was the official Mac and Linux port.

Back
Top Bottom