Maps Secret area access

ED209

Plantera
Hi,

I'm creating an adventure map, and, among many other features, there are hidden areas that contain powerful accessories and a logic gate lamp (LGL from now on).

The purpose of the LGL is to be placed on the logic gates in the main area, and once all LGLs have been found and placed, a doorway opens up and you obtain a powerful armour set.

My problem is that the wires in-game are visible when the player is holding the LGL and they could use this to cheat elsewhere. So, other than providing a mechanical lens at the start of the game, with instructions to toggle everything to faded, is there anything else that I could use instead of LGLs?

Already in use (and therefore excluded from this) are:
  • Large gems & gem locks
  • Coins on teal pads
  • Sand on teal pads
  • Liquid sensors
My other question is; if I did provide a mechanical lens before the start of the game, would players mind?

Thanks.

Last edited:
so if I understand correctly the player gathers things to open something up later on?

why not just use large gems and gemlocks? you could for example just hide 8 yellow gems around the map and put up 8 yellow gemlocks in the center of the map

or if you really wanna roll with the LGLs in the center, just hide switches around the map that turn on one the lamps at the center and make sure the player understands what those switches are for, that way the player can always check how many switches he/she still gotta find

to the other question I gotta say, me personally I try and minimize immersion breaking as much as possible simply because sometimes there s no way around breaking it.

again, me personally I d only hand out a lens in a map that s specifically about engineering and wiring but I d probably not attempt that since I m getting headache just thinking about that ;)

anyway dude, LGLs really can stand for almost anything you can wire up ingame so you can get really creative

so if I understand correctly the player gathers things to open something up later on?

why not just use large gems and gemlocks? you could for example just hide 8 yellow gems around the map and put up 8 yellow gemlocks in the center of the map

or if you really wanna roll with the LGLs in the center, just hide switches around the map that turn on one the lamps at the center and make sure the player understands what those switches are for, that way the player can always check how many switches he/she still gotta find

to the other question I gotta say, me personally I try and minimize immersion breaking as much as possible simply because sometimes there s no way around breaking it.

again, me personally I d only hand out a lens in a map that s specifically about engineering and wiring but I d probably not attempt that since I m getting headache just thinking about that ;)

anyway dude, LGLs really can stand for almost anything you can wire up ingame so you can get really creative
I can't believe I forgot to add the gem locks to the list: they're what the player has to get at the end of each level.

The LGLs are an optional extra, but I'm probably going to get rid of them, as the wiring just breaks the immersion as you say.

I'm thinking about a gem squirrel per area instead, as it can activate yellow pressure plates. Another idea I'm toying with is a rolling cactus, although that light be a bit too desert-themed.

what I forgot in my first post was that when placing 'on' lamps on an 'and' gate the gate sends a signal right away, so might not be the best to have a player unlock something by gathering LGLs.

also I m not sure what the exact problem is, most mechanisms are very modular meaning as long as you re not having all the wiring for everything in a very small space you can use the same mechanisms for different tasks. example might be to use all the large gems except diamonds for the rest of the map and then use the diamonds for the secret stash

I m still not very good with the supercomplex circuits but I m having a blast just seeing how insanely creative I can get with wiring adventure maps so if you have a certain thing u wanna do on a map and don t know how to do it just ask away ;)

p.s.: I did NOT know gem squirrels were a thing, the more ya know I guess ^_^

Perhaps you could try using temple keys and locked temple doors. You have to use TEdit to place them though.

Back
Top Bottom