What does you arena look like?

CDR_Xavier

Skeletron Prime
What do you put in you arena? dungeon spikes? heart statues? slime statues? honey puddles? bubble house for nurse?
bubble blocks with water in it? honey?
I am curious about what you decide to have to fight the tough boys.

I had difficulty finding a good place for constructing a arena.
1617742779289.png

I plan on making a construction the size of ... half of the dungeon entrance. I also wanted minimum impact on existing terrain.
Pick a site for me that is not in the ocean.[/HR]

worldsnippet.PNG

This is part of my last world, and the flattened section in the center of this image is also the center of my world. I essentially just flatten out the ground, place a row of platforms above, place gnomes, bone torches and campfires, and then build a "safety house" directly beneath the spawn.
TEDIT.PNG

You'll notice I also left spaces for banners on both sides while adding walls to make sure no enemies could spawn in said banner area by filling it in with walls. I'd call it overpreparation but this is how it looked by the endgame. It's convenient for bosses and invasions and allows me to set up prep immediately, and hide in the house underneath if I'm too lazy for some of the early invasions. You definitely don't need to go this far but it provides you a plethora of options for dealing with just about anything. I wouldn't say it has "minimal impact" on the terrain, but the center of a world is typically pretty flat already, and even this arena didn't take up too much space. You could just build only a platform bridge, which has no impact on the terrain at all, but then banners and "safety houses" like I posted become more of a hassle to implement.

Rgmemo said:
You definitely don't need to go this far
I have 22 heart statues (and a dozen pressure plates and wires) in my chests so I can run along something every 30 second and get 400 free life.
I don't think some walling will be over-preparation. But I see no point in making such a thing.
The only invasions to worry about is Martian Madness. That means I'd need to defeat the saucer for about 20 times, which meant I'd better have something long to run along with. But I don't want to have a bunch of stupid-looking platform coming out of nowhere to obstruct the view of the landscape.

Last edited:
I had 22 heart statues (and a dozen pressure plates and wires) in my chests. I don't think some walling will be over-preparation. But I see no point in making such a thing.
The only invasions to worry about is Martian Madness. That means I'd better have something long to run along with. But I dont want to have a bunch of stupid-looking platform coming out of nowhere to obstruct the view of the landscape.
Fair, this is just my own arena. Banners mean any given enemy does much less damage and goes down much quicker so I can afford to take more risks and clear waves faster. The last update also made it so that banners finally affect enemy projectiles too, which is appreciated for mobs like Nailhead. Takes around 10-20 minutes to set up that banner area in total, so it's not an issue for me.

The platform row is ugly but I don't care about it too much since I leave the rest of the world outside my center area mostly untouched. My Skeletron arena basically just involved flattening out the top part of the dungeon, adding a slope to run down either side, and then placing the usual buff objects like gnomes, campfires and torches. You could try that if you want, I don't know to what extent you want to avoid platform bridges or the like.

Rgmemo said:
The platform row is ugly
Yeah. But If you have a very steep mountain/hill, you can integrate those in nicely.
Rgmemo said:
The last update also made it so that banners finally affect enemy projectiles too, which is appreciated for mobs like Nailhead.
Finally? Okay. Thats something nice.
Rgmemo said:
Skeletron arena basically just involved flattening out the top part of the dungeon
That was a lot of modification by my standard, especially since because it is on generated structures. I was "lucky" to have dungeon point at such a elevation. The enterance for the dungeon is just tall. That slope served as a sort of arena pretty decently by itself.

Do you think it will make more sense to have such a "fighting area" in front of the dungeon (enterance), or at the back of it? Or should dungeon be mostly out of sight of the fighting area?

Usually, I build my arena at home base, with the bottom platform just above my dinky little town. My NPCs die often, but the tradeoff is instant access to my arena for bosses and being able to use it for invasions, and I can just hook up a teleporter to the next closest pylon. It’s not like I use the zoologist or golfer much in hardmode anyway.

It’s always huge and elaborate. three platforms, 20 blocks apart, usually 3-4 campfire area of effects wide. I equip it with campfires, heart lanterns, any bast or heart statues I find, small pools of honey, and peace/water candles that I can switch out with a lever. Usually on the top row and just far enough apart to maximize the area of effect. I also build a cube of 150 Pearlstone at one end just so I can use it for Queen Slime and Empress as well. This takes a long time to set up for an arena, but if I set it up early on it’s easily worth it.

For every boss you have to fight at a particular place, I put in less effort because I’m only using the arena once. Skeletron and the evil bosses is just two rows of platforms with campfires, Wall of Flesh is always roughly built 1500 block long bridge dotted with campfire. Plantera I dig a box out of the jungle just large enough for good movement and put some buff furniture. Golem is, well, he’s golem: you can just remove traps and flatten the ground and you’re set.

Do you think it will make more sense to have such a "fighting area" in front of the dungeon (enterance), or at the back of it? Or should dungeon be mostly out of sight of the fighting area?
tedit2.PNG

Here's what my Dungeon "Arena" ended up looking like in the same world, I'm aware it's ugly as sin. The "staircase" there is actually just a slope but shows up as jagged on Terramap. I have more than enough room to easily fight both Skeletron and the Lunatic Cultist. I don't really pay attention to the aesthetics of it as much as I do efficiency, so the strange Glowing Mushroom settlement I built to the right might seem odd. You could probably do away with the platforms and just make sure you can run along the terrain at the entrance, so by filling in all the holes on the bottom left and making a flatter area, for example (the reason that massive ravine is there is because I was quarantining a Crimson biome right next to the dungeon).

I have no idea how the cultist worshippers spawn after Golem so I don't mess with the bottom entrance besides placing a few banners. If you know how their spawning mechanics work yourself then you could keep things a lot tidier than I do. I'd probably be more help if I was more of a creative or artistic builder, but I can only keep things looking spartan for the most part.

whoneedsnamestbh said:
I build my arena at home base
I had thought about that idea, with the platform essentially being part of the housing structure (for the nurse) since I have a natural "valley" in that area I built the house. I can move the house into that "hill" since it had some caves hollowing it out anyway and have the outside area widened a bit for the arena.
20 blocks apart .. interesting. I might as well do 15 or 10.
The "best" arena I had built since mobile 1.2.4 is about a 40*60 area of platforms.
1617757593626.png

The area I am talking about is the "dip" with the square (of pearlstone). I can squeeze in a structure about 75 tiles in width (which will be about 50 tiles of width for actual combat area), which is not really impressive.
The area in front of the dungeon is extremely flat and is a ideal place for building some large structure like this. But it had dungeon in the view and the western slope of the hill is just not that steep (although it can be made to be steep)
which is why I am thinking about the back side of the dungeon.
1617758229238.png

The dungeon is very tall. The back juts out of the ground by 38 tiles. I can mine some of that dirt away and easily have 150*55 tiles of space. But it's at the back of the dungeon (which mean a bad view) and have corruption nearby.

I decided not to build the arena behind the dungeon because the dungeon count as valid spawning area (for enemies), which will be left trapped inside, reducing the number of enemies that will actually reach the arena (if any).
Which means I will have to do with the two area in front of the dungeon. But those had a lot of air pockets in the ground, so I will have to take care of them as well.
In fact, all three sites I picked have large amount of air pockets in the ground. This make it both a challenge and a worthwhile thing.
So I looked at my existing "arena" -- the flat area near the strip of corruption, towards the center of the map -- a place I fought the old one's army.
The only downside of that patch is that it is very close to corruption -- and in fact, a portion of the barrier ends at it.
But the patch is long. I can use the far end and .. put up a "hallow reactor" at that end. Then I will just simply move the current "hallowed" inhabitants either over there, or swap it with mechanic and goblin tinkerer (who was living in hallowed snow).
But what about old one's army?
Well, for that ...
I guess I will try to put the terraria's arena on the dungeon side, I guess. I do not know what will the cultists think when I battle with the Martians/frostmoon/pumpkin moon.
If that fails I will merge it with old one's.

Last edited:
I usually build a small arena above or near my Forest Pylon town for the Eye of Cthulhu. It also comes in handy for basic events such as the Goblin Army and the Pirate Invasion. For the Brain of Cthulhu, the Eater of Worlds, Skeletron and the Queen Bee, I build somewhat taller arenas with the platforms 15 blocks apart. For the Wall of Flesh I just prepare a long Minecart track in the Underworld.

In Hardmode, I locate the Hallow and build a massive arena out of Planter Boxes for Queen Slime. I reuse the same arena for the Mech Bosses. For Plantera I either expand my Queen Bee arena or expand a large natural Underground Jungle cave. Golem doesn't require much preparation, I just put a row of Platforms across the Altar room about halfway up, in order to stay above him if my wing flight runs out.

For the Empress of Light I expand my Hallow arena quite a bit. For Duke Fishron I build an arena across the Ocean with 50 blocks between platforms. I start fighting the Cultist in my Skeletron arena but I usually end up bringing him into the sky. I fight Moon Lord on a long Asphalt bridge in the sky.

I usually only put Campfires and Heart Lanterns in my arenas because Heart Statues and Bast Statues are pretty rare and Honey slows you down.

I tend to just put an arena wherever there is room that isn't planned to be taken up by anything.
Get a honey pool, campfire+heart lamp, Lihzard alter fer golem, and you guys add whatever 1.4 stuff you want.
Like those gnomes I hear about often.

I guess this counts, only because I killed some of the most notorious Bosses here, specifically.
  • All The Mechs
  • Duke Fishron
  • Dreadnautilus
  • Pumpking
20200702231840_1.jpg

Toxophilite [East] said:
Teleporters
Certainly justifies my future use of 30 heart statues ..
I certainly did not world farm for that. I got most of them from duplicating back on mobile 1.2.4 and a few from actually world farm.
Although we can see how long it will take to yield the statues from the worlds when I got the DCU at last.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom