Game Mechanics Doctor Mode - A mode that is more difficult than Master Mode.

Nice, now it won't be exclusive for only a map!! You can play with that and much more features in what world you want!! Cool, isn't it??
Um... No? Thats an extremely unfair design choice. Clowns used to be able to do that, but it got removed. The only reason that FTW got away with making Prime's bombs actual bombs is because FTW is meant to be frustrating, unfair and extremely difficult. You act like this is a good thing.

Um... No? Thats an extremely unfair design choice. Clowns used to be able to do that, but it got removed. The only reason that FTW got away with making Prime's bombs actual bombs is because FTW is meant to be frustrating, unfair and extremely difficult. You act like this is a good thing.
No, Frustrating it will NOT be. I promise. This mode will be EPIC! Or at least more realist.
It is meants to be difficult but as I said, the drops will compensate the work.
Be patient.

For me it's fair. If you want that reward at the end of the rainbow you will need to work hard.
No pain no gain.
The Lunar Events are anything but fair. Because of how much damage the enemies do in Expert and Master Mode, they’ll kill you in one or two hits. And you’ll be fighting several of them at a time. Some of them are also really annoying to dodge, like Corites and Nebula Floaters, and the enemies all individually make each other much harder. Also, it takes a very long amount of time to kill enough enemies to remove the shield on just one pillar, and if you have to kill 2 or 3 times more enemies, it’ll take an even longer amount of time, enough time to make anyone extremely frustrated. And you can’t take breaks because if you leave the world the shield resets and you have to start all over again. This would force players to play an already extremely frustrating event for a very long time, which some players may not be able to do because they’ve got stuff like work or school or extracurricular things that limit how long they can play for. Also the pillar switching will make it be pretty annoying to get the pillar weapons.

Dude, I have to say, if the vast majority of people reading it don’t like some of the stuff you’re doing, instead of being stubborn about it and doubling down, you should take the hint that probably the design choices aren’t fair for most people and should be changed. Most of my complaints have been covered by other people, so I won’t give any of my own, but I will say that.

A difficulty above Master sounds neat, but what I think really needs to happen is Master itself is reworked to be more than just some stat swellings. Master’s stats would be about as high as I’m willing to go, and I think Master should be like Expert Mode where it reworks the game as well. If you fixed the complaints, this would be a good place to start for that.

Dude, I have to say, if the vast majority of people reading it don’t like some of the stuff you’re doing, instead of being stubborn about it and doubling down, you should take the hint that probably the design choices aren’t fair for most people and should be changed. Most of my complaints have been covered by other people, so I won’t give any of my own, but I will say that.

A difficulty above Master sounds neat, but what I think really needs to happen is Master itself is reworked to be more than just some stat swellings. Master’s stats would be about as high as I’m willing to go, and I think Master should be like Expert Mode where it reworks the game as well. If you fixed the complaints, this would be a good place to start for that.
I agree with wnntbh, you yourself said this suggestion is a WIP, so why don't you adhere to that and take people's criticisms?

The Lunar Events are anything but fair. Because of how much damage the enemies do in Expert and Master Mode, they’ll kill you in one or two hits. And you’ll be fighting several of them at a time. Some of them are also really annoying to dodge, like Corites and Nebula Floaters, and the enemies all individually make each other much harder. Also, it takes a very long amount of time to kill enough enemies to remove the shield on just one pillar, and if you have to kill 2 or 3 times more enemies, it’ll take an even longer amount of time, enough time to make anyone extremely frustrated. And you can’t take breaks because if you leave the world the shield resets and you have to start all over again. This would force players to play an already extremely frustrating event for a very long time, which some players may not be able to do because they’ve got stuff like work or school or extracurricular things that limit how long they can play for. Also the pillar switching will make it be pretty annoying to get the pillar weapons.
I think you all are just attacking me without even waiting for me to update the thread.
You all are also not suggesting much things, but are complaining a lot.
And you all are demanding me to answer a lot of questions and very fast and all this as if this mode was really going to be put in the game, (and I wish it was) but it will never be.

And all of this makes me very nervous. Please be more patient guys!!

I think you all are just attacking me without even waiting for me to update the thread.
You all are also not suggesting much things, but are complaining a lot.
And you all are demanding me to answer a lot of questions and very fast and all this as if this mode was really going to be put in the game, (and I wish it was) but it will never be.

And all of this makes me very nervous. Please be more patient guys!!
No offense intended, but if you were to start a thread providing your thoughts, wouldn't you have to be willing to respond to at least most of the replies?

Also, we aren't "attacking" you, I don't know where you got that from. We're just providing you with our criticism on how to make this suggestion better, as some of your ideas are either not very well thought out, or don't work well in the context of the game.

No offense intended, but if you were to start a thread providing your thoughts, wouldn't you have to be willing to respond to at least most of the replies?

Also, we aren't "attacking" you, I don't know where you got that from. We're just providing you with our criticism on how to make this suggestion better, as some of your ideas are either not very well thought out, or don't work well in the context of the game.
Ok, but don't think I'll be responding at the same day and updating today. I have a lot of things to do and making suggestions here is really exhausting, because of the amount of questions and details that need to be answered, sadly.

Oh boy, this is a mess. You absolutely shouldn't add any more to this unless you fix what's already here.
-The world has a greater chance of having the worst of two ores that can be chosen, including the Hardmode ones. That is, more chance to generate with Tin than Copper, Iron than Lead, Silver than Tungsten, Gold than Platinum, Cobalt than Palladium, Mythril than Orichalcum and Adamantite than Titanium;
"Oh no, I have like 2 points less of damage"

Except in hardmode where I can just fish for the better ores anyway.
-Increased chance of the evil biome having more area at the beginning. That means that the Crimson or the Corruption will probably start in the game with more area than the normal size;
Does that mean more chasms?
-The player will start without its axe. That is: NO AXE, because who needs to start the game cutting down all the trees? Now, to make this mode harder, you will need to start mining to make your first axe, that will probably be made of Tin;
Ok lol, I'll just use bombs to get wood then.
-Your Shortsword and Pickaxe are made of Tin, because that's the worst counterpart possible, and, to make it harder, both your Pickaxe and Shortsword will have the Broken modifier;
...you realize that tin is stronger than copper?
-Lava hurts 50% more at the Underworld;
Should have been a change expert made to be honest.
-From 11AM to 01PM, at the Desert, the player gets the OnFire! DeBuff;
A.K.A just wait 30 seconds if you want to pass through this biome. This adds no difficulty, just tedium.
-OnFire! Debuff and other fire DeBuffs take more time to stop at hot places like the Desert and the Underworld;
That's almost completely meaningless and does borderline nothing to hinder the player unless they already took damage.
-Player gets Chilled DeBuff if he/she is at the snow and it's raining (Snowstorm/Blizzard);
Interesting way of giving the snow biome it's own version of a sandstorm.
-If the player is wet (or just got out of the water) and he/she is at the snow biome and it's raining/storming, he/she gets stuck in ice (Frozen DeBuff);
A.K.A. Kill the player literally over a minute later for touching liquid. Also they can't move because that's fun. You may as well just make water an instant death trap at that point.

Also, you could end up softlocking someone if they had a Neptune's Shell, that's not cool.
-Every time it rains there is a Sandstorm at the Desert;
Shouldn't this be tied to every time there's a windy day?
-Sandstorms have a 30 to 40% chance of occurring without it raining, per day;
"let's just make the desert impassable so they just bridge over it instead of ever bothering to explore it"
-Zombies are capable of opening doors without need of a Blood Moon;
-Players don't care because they can still just put a torch behind the door and stop them anyways.
-Demon Eyes pass trough Blocks like servants of Cthulhu already do;
What does this even add to the difficulty? Do you want people to just not ever be on the surface in earlygame?
-All enemies that inflict the Poisoned DeBuff will now inflict Venom DeBuff instead, including the Queen Bee;
You may as well just make them deal more damage at that point lol.
-Greater chance of a Guide Voodoo Demon Spawning instead of a regular Demon at the Underworld;
Quality of life change which makes the game easier, actually.
-All enemies and Bosses think faster. That is, they attack faster;
Define "attack faster". Do you mean less downtime between attacks or less duration for all of them? Because if you just blanket everything with either then it'll actually make some attacks easier to deal with.
-Increased chances of getting the Gold portal from breaking a pot;
I actually like this.
-Explosives like bombs (dropped from Clowns and Skeletron Prime) now break Blocks;
How does this make literally anything more difficult? You're not making them more difficult to dodge in any way or even altering their stats, you're just adding tedium.
-All Death Rays (Martian Saucer and Moon Lord ones) pass trough Blocks;
This is already a thing as of 1.4.
-1/3 chance of a slime rain occur per day;
Okay lol. I'll just be hiding underground because of all the random bull:red: you've been throwing at me for existing on the surface anyway.
-Blood Moons have increased chance to happen;
Okay lol. I'll just be hiding underground because of all the random bull:red: you've been throwing at me for existing on the surface anyway.
-New Exclusive drops from all Bosses;
-All Bosses now have a second phase, that is much more violent and agressive, and those Bosses who already had a second phase will keep how they were;
You gotta be more specific with these.
-The player will get two drops of the drop list from a Boss;
Expert Mode has always done this.
-Eye of Cthulhu has 50% chance of spawning every night before being defeated;
-Skeletron's Head is invincible before the player kills his hands;
Pretty much what Expert already does.
-Bee hives now have two Larvae instead of one, that can each summon one Queen Bee, so there are two Queen Bees;
...or you could just be careful and break them one at a time. Thanks for the extra boss summon lol.
-At the Hallow biome there's a chance of Queen Slime spawning naturally;
-Skeletron Prime's head will be invincible until the player kills his four arms;
This does absolutely nothing to make this fight more difficult and just extends what's already an incredibly long winded and drawn out "boss fight" with a glorified punching bag to begin with. Tedium is not difficulty.
-The player will need to kill every body part of the Destroyer (and its Probes) to make the Boss count as defeated. That is, the player needs to hit each and every segment of the Boss, and then kill the Probes. When the last probe dies, the entire Boss breaks/dies and it will drop the drops;
Tedium is not difficulty.
-The three Mechanical Bosses can spawn at the same time naturally, plus, each one has 10% chance of spawning at the first night after defeating the Wall of Flesh;
-If all three Mechanical bosses have been defeated, there's a 0,5% chance every day that Duke Fishron will spawn naturally at the beach;
-If all the Mechanical Bosses have been defeated, there's a 5% chance that Plantera will spawn naturally (only at the Jungle);
Another problem with summoning bosses randomly? I literally could just use my magic mirror and despawn it for free.
-If Plantera has been defeated, Duke Fishron's chances of spawning (if he was not defeated already) increase from 0,5% to 10%;
-If Plantera has been defeated, the Empress of Light has a 5% chance of spawning naturally at the Hallow;
-Golem's head now needs to be defeated too to count as the entire Boss defeated, but it still can't be killed nor damaged before all the other body parts;
-All the four Lunar Pillars' shields will need from 2 to 3 times more enemies killed to be released;
-After the player releases a Lunar Pillar's shield, the Pillar will switch places with another Pillar (by teleportation)
and if the player goes at it, it will try to defend itself;
For the first part: Tedium is not difficulty.
For the second: be more specific with how it defends itself. Does it get new attacks or use the same ones from the event which are basically useless?
-If the player released a Pillar's shield, but takes too long to kill it, the shield will regenerate and come again with the same health stats;
-After all the Lunar Pillars were killed, Moon Lord will only take 30 seconds to spawn;
This is actually a pretty nice quality of life change which means you don't have to wait so long every time.
-Moon Lord will keep more time with his eyes closed;
A) This means he's going to be attacking less and therefore be much easier than normal b) ...Tedium is not difficulty

Again, don't add any more. First, reevaluate what you already have and either make it better or remove some of it.

Last edited:

I’m getting the vibe that you are balancing a good amount of the difficulty around this. I do know that you want to keep it a surprise but it could be nice if we could just get the info for the exclusive drop for king slime, and maybe the second phase idea. These will help us get us get a better feeling for how both of those are going to work.

In my opinion, eternity mode is fun. this one is annoying. The reason why eternity mode is fun is because the bosses are at least, fairer than vanilla moon lord to beat, and the loot feels rewarding. At the time of writing, It just feels like a more annoying master mode. I know that you are going to add exclusive drops soon, but I would like to review at some of the features.
-The world has a greater chance of having the worst of two ores that can be chosen, including the Hardmode ones. That is, more chance to generate with Tin than Copper, Iron than Lead, Silver than Tungsten, Gold than Platinum, Cobalt than Palladium, Mythril than Orichalcum and Adamantite than Titanium;
-Increased chance of the evil biome having more area at the beginning. That means that the Crimson or the Corruption will probably start in the game with more area than the normal size;
First, the higher tier ores are rarer anyways, and any ore besides adamantite/titanium is utterly pointless in most cases, and yet, you have frost/forbidden armor. What's the point of that?
Secondly, is this evil biome expansion worth anything? Can spread more easily in hardmode and destroy your towns? Is this anything to do with the usual progression? I think not.
-The player will start without its axe. That is: NO AXE, because who needs to start the game cutting down all the trees? Now, to make this mode harder, you will need to start mining to make your first axe, that will probably be made of Tin;
-Your Shortsword and Pickaxe are made of Tin, because that's the worst counterpart possible, and, to make it harder, both your Pickaxe and Shortsword will have the Broken modifier;
-Seriously? What's the point of that? And how do you make an furnace... I mean sure, you can find torches from pots, but in other notes, have you ever wondered what you feels when getting severely punished by rng, which in this case is not finding any ore? this brings me to the other aspect: rng.
-But before that, imma review this line: First, tin is generally better than copper. Secondly, does broken modifier even matter that much with a shortsword with 7 damage who people throws away instantly, and plus broken modifier doesnt even affect the pickaxe's speed (though dont nerf pickaxes it would just make it more time-consuming). It just feels pointless to me.
Event features:
-1/3 chance of a slime rain occur per day;
-Blood Moons have increased chance to happen;
-Increased chance of a Solar Eclipse happening before defeating Golem;
Slime rain. Solar eclipse. Do you even know how annoying they are? this is not fun.
Now some things related to the new mechanics of the game:
-Lava hurts 50% more at the Underworld;
-From 11AM to 01PM, at the Desert, the player gets the OnFire! DeBuff;
-OnFire! Debuff and other fire DeBuffs take more time to stop at hot places like the Desert and the Underworld;
-Player gets Chilled DeBuff if he/she is at the snow and it's raining (Snowstorm/Blizzard);
-If the player is wet (or just got out of the water) and he/she is at the snow biome and it's raining/storming, he/she gets stuck in ice (Frozen DeBuff);
-Every time it rains there is a Sandstorm at the Desert;
-Sandstorms have a 30 to 40% chance of occurring without it raining, per day;
-Zombies are capable of opening doors without need of a Blood Moon;
-Demon Eyes pass trough Blocks like servants of Cthulhu already do;
-All enemies that inflict the Poisoned DeBuff will now inflict Venom DeBuff instead, including the Queen Bee;
-Greater chance of a Guide Voodoo Demon Spawning instead of a regular Demon at the Underworld;
-All enemies and Boss stats are equal to Master Mode ones;
-All enemies and Bosses think faster. That is, they attack faster;
-Increased chances of getting the Gold portal from breaking a pot;
-Explosives like bombs (dropped from Clowns and Skeletron Prime) now break Blocks;
-All Death Rays (Martian Saucer and Moon Lord ones) pass trough Blocks;
There is actually some aspects I liked, such as the gold pot increase and zombies opening doors. The reason I liked them is because they encourages the player to think of different ways when playing the game. For example, the zombie opening doors mechanic encourages the player to use blocks to defend themselves, and gold pot increase allows the player to get more money in this esp "harsh" gamemode. I believe the base game really needs things like this.
Everything else is just annoying.
-All Bosses now have a second phase, that is much more violent and agressive, and those Bosses who already had a second phase will keep how they were;
-Now night Bosses will always kill the player if he/she fails in killing them before dawn (4:30AM), including those who would normally just go away offscreen;

-The player will get two drops of the drop list from a Boss;
-Eye of Cthulhu has 50% chance of spawning every night before being defeated;
-Skeletron's Head is invincible before the player kills his hands;
-Bee hives now have two Larvae instead of one, that can each summon one Queen Bee, so there are two Queen Bees;
I'm actually kinda excited for the exclusive drop ideas.
At Hardmode:
-At the Hallow biome there's a chance of Queen Slime spawning naturally;
-Skeletron Prime's head will be invincible until the player kills his four arms;
-The player will need to kill every body part of the Destroyer (and its Probes) to make the Boss count as defeated. That is, the player needs to hit each and every segment of the Boss, and then kill the Probes. When the last probe dies, the entire Boss breaks/dies and it will drop the drops;
-The three Mechanical Bosses can spawn at the same time naturally, plus, each one has 10% chance of spawning at the first night after defeating the Wall of Flesh;
-If all three Mechanical bosses have been defeated, there's a 0,5% chance every day that Duke Fishron will spawn naturally at the beach;
-If all the Mechanical Bosses have been defeated, there's a 5% chance that Plantera will spawn naturally (only at the Jungle);
-If Plantera has been defeated, Duke Fishron's chances of spawning (if he was not defeated already) increase from 0,5% to 10%;
-If Plantera has been defeated, the Empress of Light has a 5% chance of spawning naturally at the Hallow;
-Golem's head now needs to be defeated too to count as the entire Boss defeated, but it still can't be killed nor damaged before all the other body parts;
-All the four Lunar Pillars' shields will need from 2 to 3 times more enemies killed to be released;
-After the player releases a Lunar Pillar's shield, the Pillar will switch places with another Pillar (by teleportation)
and if the player goes at it, it will try to defend itself;
-If the player released a Pillar's shield, but takes too long to kill it, the shield will regenerate and come again with the same health stats;
-After all the Lunar Pillars were killed, Moon Lord will only take 30 seconds to spawn;
-Moon Lord will keep more time with his eyes closed;
Other than that, I believe most people had covered these two sections and properly criticized them.

As many people said above, there are many flaws and it would be the best to "fix" them first before adding any more.

Not much to add, most of what I have to say has already been said. You really should think more about what people are saying and people's problems with the difficulty, they make a lot of good points that could lead this in a much better direction. You have some good ideas, you just need to work on balancing challenge and fun.

Hey, nice job on fixing up these issues, and so quickly at that! Just remember to take your time and don't overwork yourself or stress yourself out. Hope you end up making this into something you're truly happy with! :)

Back
Top Bottom