Tasks before Hardmode

She doesn’t really drop anything useful at this point in the game.

The armour set she drops isn’t as good as Hallowed, but I guess it is tiered a bit before it. The Blade Staff (another minion staff that she drops) is insanely powerful with summoner gear and a whip or two, but as a support weapon it is pretty bad, and overall it’s outclassed by the Desert Tiger. The mount she drops isn’t as useful anymore, its flight time starts to be rather lacklustre compared to wings available after Plantera.

However the hook that she drops is one of the best in the game, it teleports you to the hook instead of drawing you in, and you take no damage on the way.

On an unrelated note, Bone Lees in the post-Plantera Dungeon drop the Black Belt and Tabi, which are used to craft the Master Ninja Gear. The Master Ninja Gear is both a mobility accessory and a defensive accessory, it allows you to dash which by itself is great and it also provides a 10% chance to dodge attacks which can save you in some situations but isn’t as reliable as Hallowed armour.
Agree, though it might be good to try to battle queen slime, just to try out that battle too.

Also, dissonance hook is great (though I would argue if it's the best, rather, it's a very unique hook), but less necessary, when you already have the Rod of Discord.

Try fighting Plantera a couple more times for The axe as although it's a Hamaxe it does 72 damage and has a fast use speed so its a pretty decent weapon
Oh, and also master ninja gear will help A LOT.

Try fighting Plantera a couple more times for The axe as although it's a Hamaxe it does 72 damage and has a fast use speed so its a pretty decent weapon
The Terra Blade is much better as a weapon than The Axe, plus the latter is pretty rare. I wouldn't recommend it.

Also @Pangaearocks if you come across an unfamiliar accessory you can look for it in my accessory tier list to see if its any good.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess you're right, although, Terra blade is still very hard to gather materials for...
Looking over the recipe, it's naturally a late game weapon due to the limitations of needing to beat all mech bosses for instance, but the materials don't look that hard to gather. As long as one saves up at least one Muramasa it should be okay, as Broken hero sword has a high chance to drop from Mothron (so that is where I got all those!). Apparently Muramasa can only drop from gold chests (or golden lock boxes) in the Dungeon, so now I'm a little sorry I sold a bunch of those. Oh well, pointless to make more than one anyway.

Zenith, however, looks bonkers hard. Have certainly never come across something called an Enchanted Sword, and looks like it has a very low drop chance. Unless one can find a sword in a stone somewhere in the world, which I've never seen anywhere either.

Edit:
Think I've become overpowered. This weapon is sick, and the tiger kills everything in sight. Main job has become to pick up money and items :-/ The temple was anticlimactic due to that, though it did give me ample time to remove spikes. Fought Plantera again too, but the poor thing didn't stand a chance against Terra Blade + Tiger summon. Finally summoned Queen Slime as well (once I figured out it had to be done in the Hallow). Didn't have the tiger at the time, because I didn't want it to kill all the critters while I'm sorting the inventory. Didn't use any potions either. But she didn't stand a chance either. The weapon obliterates everything in sight currently.

OOA is different. That said, now with the Ballista tier 2 instead of the fireburst tier 1, it's a lot more manageable. Last time I got through it without any damage to the crystal. Main thing is hitting the flying enemies before they dive in, and unlike the fireburst, the ballistas are capable of hitting airborne enemies. Have 85 defender medals currently, which is enough to buy a tier 3 summoning staff.

Based on what was said before, seems like the main thing now is to get any building done before killing the golem and probably having aliens interrupting any further building jobs. Alternatively fish a lot, hoping to finally get some bramble chests -- and be lucky with the feral claw dropping out.

Last edited:
Okay, there is bad luck, but this is too much I think. Are you guys sure there isn't some type of fault with surface jungle fishing, or alternatively surface town jungle fishing, when it comes to crates? I've spent probably a full week fishing in that location -- not a single bramble crate. Then I go underground, and pull up four in 8 minutes (1 fishing potion).

Coupled with pulling up 7-8 titanium crates in the last two sessions (jungle town, and now underground jungle), which is more rare, this seems like too much of a coincidence to me. I've also pulled up a handful or so of ocean crates when fishing there, so I honestly think there must be something odd with surface jungle (town) fishing, or alternatively the location I have for some reason.
Underground jungle crates.jpg
To reiterate, this is the jungle town I have. There is crimson to the east, but the town itself is safe as there is a shaft a fair bit aways.
No Bramble Chests.jpg

Okay, there is bad luck, but this is too much I think. Are you guys sure there isn't some type of fault with surface jungle fishing, or alternatively surface town jungle fishing, when it comes to crates? I've spent probably a full week fishing in that location -- not a single bramble crate. Then I go underground, and pull up four in 8 minutes (1 fishing potion).

Coupled with pulling up 7-8 titanium crates in the last two sessions (jungle town, and now underground jungle), which is more rare, this seems like too much of a coincidence to me. I've also pulled up a handful or so of ocean crates when fishing there, so I honestly think there must be something odd with surface jungle (town) fishing, or alternatively the location I have for some reason.
Compare the size of the two ponds you fished from. Bigger ponds yield better loot when fishing.

I've pulled up several titanium chests in that town, though? And the lake is fairly sizeable, and gives no fishing power penalty.

I've pulled up several titanium chests in that town, though? And the lake is fairly sizeable, and gives no fishing power penalty.
I'm pretty sure Jungle/Bramble crates pull from the loot pool of ivy chests, which can be found underground. Maybe those specific crates can only be fished up underground?

That is possible yes. But in that case the wiki should state that they only come from the Underground Jungle, and not the more general "Jungle". Probably the same thing with the non-hardmode jungle crates too.

It's a good question, and I really don't know now, whether you can catch jungle/bramble crates on the surface... But, if you caught some underground, that's quite good already. Did they drop anythin useful?
By the way, the underground lake appears to be a bit bigger, so, that might plays a role too.

By the way, for OOA, I think, tier 3 staves need 100 medals. But I'm not 100% sure about it.

Also, it's not that you can't build post-golem, it's that building on the surface on the outern 1/3 s of the map, martian probes might interrupt you. But building stuff underground should be no problem after either.
But if you have some builds - towns or anything - in mind, might build them now.

Also, yeah, you're mid-late hardmode now, most weapons here feels very powerful, and those that waits for you are even more OP. if you ask me, I prefer the weapons where things feel still more challanging, but late-game weapons can be fun too. late game bosses are certainly quite tough, so, you might need very powerful weapons against them. But stuff like zombie stand no real chance against you by now XD
I'm just saying that, to not worry too much about it. You've grown quite powerful by now. It's normal mid-late hardmode and after.

Yeah, I'm sure it's normal, it just surprised me a bit given how much I struggled early on, that it suddenly became so easy to deal with practically all enemies.

That said, I tried out the Pumpkin Moon event, and that was certainly a different kettle of fish. Didn't get through it, but didn't die either. Think I was in the 11th wave when time ran out. What kind of gear or set-up would be needed to get through to the very end? I started at 7:30, so had the max time.

The third bramble crate thankfully dropped the Feral Claw that I was after. That enabled me to craft the Fire Gauntlet. However, I'm hard pressed on what to swap it for 🤔 Perhaps the Frog Gear is least essential, but I tested out jumping/flying without it, and I lose a lot of height and jump/ascend speed. Pretty sure that would make boss fights more tricky. Could possibly drop the Charm of Myths, but then I lose regeneration, and probably more importantly, the -25% health potion timer.

That said, I tried out the Pumpkin Moon event, and that was certainly a different kettle of fish. Didn't get through it, but didn't die either. Think I was in the 11th wave when time ran out. What kind of gear or set-up would be needed to get through to the very end? I started at 7:30, so had the max time.
This guide is really useful for the Pumpkin Moon. According to it, the Terra Blade is the best melee option, so I don't think that it's your weapon choice.

It does say to prepare a flat pathway of Asphalt Blocks in a flat area with no underground pockets nearby, such as a desert, which'll really help with allowing you to kill every enemy that spawns without having to navigate the terrain.

Also, did you get any loot?
The third bramble crate thankfully dropped the Feral Claw that I was after. That enabled me to craft the Fire Gauntlet. However, I'm hard pressed on what to swap it for 🤔 Perhaps the Frog Gear is least essential, but I tested out jumping/flying without it, and I lose a lot of height and jump/ascend speed. Pretty sure that would make boss fights more tricky. Could possibly drop the Charm of Myths, but then I lose regeneration, and probably more importantly, the -25% health potion timer.
Here's what I think you should do: you should craft the Amphibian Boots, take off the Frog Gear, then test whether the Amphibian Boots or Terraspark Boots boost your wing flight more. Whichever one feels better and seems to give you more mobility, wear that one. Then you should put the Fire Gauntlet where the Frog Gear was, and test that loadout on a boss, maybe Skeletron Prime or something.

You could also try replacing the Charm of Myths, then fighting a boss to see whether losing its benefits has much of an effect.

Also, don't forget about the Master Ninja Gear. It is an essential.

By the way, the next boss you should fight (once you've figured out your accessories) is Duke Fishron. He is summoned by fishing with a Truffle Worm (worms that spawn in underground Mushroom biomes) in the Ocean. He enrages if you leave the Ocean, so fight him above it. Multiple levels of platforms are recommended, because he summons tornados that can spawn on your platform and really screw you up, and multiple levels of platforms allows you to get over or under them much more easily. He drops wings that are much better than the wings you have now (however the wings you have are alright).

Speaking of wings and the Pumpkin Moon, if you get any Spooky Twigs or Black Fairy Dust from the Pumpkin Moon bosses, you can craft better wings with higher flight time than the Mothron Wings.

Cheers, that guide looks great :) 500 flat tiles on desert though? The only desert I have, except a short strip west of the oasis house, is crimsoned. Every last inch. Do you know if that is important, or would it work okay up in the air as well? Then I could possibly extend the OOA arena. I used the regular arena when I got to wave 11, which is pretty small in width, but has three levels. Had to fly a lot when fighting the pumpkings, so a couple wyverns butted in as well :D

Great to see that the Terra Blade is the best option, though. Then one thing is sorted out. Looks like I should use more potions too, and different/better accessories. Sure would have been nice with more slots (but master/expert mode would surely eat me up).

Will try out that gear stuff you wrote. Also, looking at that guide, does Fire Gauntlet and Mechanical Glove stack? Can't imagine I have room for two like that, as I only have 5 slots, but it's an interesting, if probably risky, option.

Didn't get much out of the Pumpkin Moon. Apart from a few vanity items and a new wood type, I got a Stake Launcher and some stakes.

Ninja Gear, huh? Then I need to farm in the Dungeon again, because I'm lacking one of the Ninja items. Got two black belts, but no Tabi.

Actually do have one of those 666% baits, so could try out the Fishron boss.

Looking at some of the achievements left, for the one about the three simultaneous mech bosses, must it be literally simultaneously, or would it do to fight them one by one, but in the same night? Took out Skeletron Prime and the Twins earlier (needed hallow bars for the pumpkin event), and was done by around midnight, but didn't dare to summon the Destroyer, for fear of the village dying again.

Looked up the OOA prices, and you are right: it was 100 defender medals, not 75 like I thought. Should do it one more time then, so I can buy the top tier ballista right away.

Oof, certainly met my match. Had one truffle worm, and fished up Fishron at the ocean. He kick my arse. If I still had the charm of myth, I could probably have survived, but without ability to heal, he withered me down.

Then minding my own business next to the base, in the hallowed graveyard. Suddenly some chick called Empress of Light pops up and thoroughly kicks my face in. Didn't help that I wasn't prepared at all, but that was rough. Have no idea what I might have done that triggered her spawning. At least the graveyard got another gravestone, so there is that.

I'm still wearing the frog gear, but have swapped out the charm of myths for fire gauntlet.

Fought Plantera three times as well, and Seedler dropped. Also decided to farm OOA for 200+ defender medals, so I'm ready for tier 3. And discovered that it's not a good idea to have a full inventory, because I wasn't able to place summon towers due to etherian mana going into the void bag. Thankfully the first waves are very easy, so I could swap stuff out. Wonder how much more difficult tier 3 will be, since this might be the best weapon I'll have for the remainder of the game.

Duke Flying Bacon is very fast, it can be a very tough fight, and he will hit very hard, if you can't keep the distance. I know that I used to struggle a lot with him.

As for Empress of Light, you most likely found and killed a prismatic lacewing. these rare critters appear in the hallow now (from 7:30 p.m. until midnight) and if one of them gets killed, the empress awakens with rage, and attacks you. you can keep a guide to critter companionship in inventory so you can't harm critters. and catch prismatic lacewings, for later use. so you can fight the empress when you're more ready.

Also, try the frost moon as well. And, generally then you pretty much tried most things that post-plantera, but pre-golem can offer.
Many people go for Golem right after Plantera, but it can be good to not rush that much.
But in general, it should be about fine to fight Golem too. and then try to look for a martian probe to try out the martian madness too. And get a tier 3 sentry or two from the tavernkeep too, yeah. OOA tier 3 is probably too tough to beat just yet, but you probably can clear a few waves at least, so you might get some rewards anyway.

Also, try the frost moon as well. And, generally then you pretty much tried most things that post-plantera, but pre-golem can offer.
Hmm, can I not make the summoning item myself? Need a Snow Globe apparently, but I don't see a recipe on the wiki, and looks like it can only drop during Xmas.

As an aside, I wish we could drop an item with the Guide, and he told me how to make THAT one. Keep needing to look up how to make certain items that I already have, like how to summon Skeletron Prime. I honestly think this particular part of the game could do with improvements.

Edit: Tried the Pumpkin Moon event again, and this time with the new accessories, and using more potions. Only took 200 hours or something, but found about about the "B" key for using all buff potions, and read that it only uses potions you don't already have active. That is very, very handy. Used the OOA arena, although it's not ideal according to the linked guide earlier (and NPC died, and many were injured).

Got towards the end of wave 13 this time, so it went better. Added the ballista, and potions surely helped too. Very chaotic in those last waves, though, with so many bosses on screen simultaneously, and health depleting fast. Winded up with Black Fairy Dust, so have made some new wings. Now when I have dropped the Frog Gear, I see the point that was made earlier about Amphibian Boots vs Terraspark Boots. The incline speed is faster with the Amphibians, so I have adopted those now. Shame to lose the ability to walk on water and lava, as it was quick to run across all the terrain when I needed to get somewhere fast without good pylon locations. Minor inconvenience though, as long as I'm not in the Underworld.

Think it's time to take on the Golem, and see what more the game has to offer. Maybe swap/try out the Beetle armour too. It was recommended in the guide after all. A bit more defence can't hurt against all those dangerous bosses, and maybe it's good for normal play too.

Last edited:
The Frost Moon is summoned via naughty present (show some ectoplasm to the guide). It can be confusing at first indeed, that the Frost Legion has a very similar name. The later is Christmas exclusive though (but you can get a snow globe if Christmas is active in your world, because you got to wave 15 or above in Frost Moon, because then monsters have a chance to drop presents, and if you open them in a hardmode world, they might contain a snow globe.

Also, yeah, "B" button is very handy to consume all buff potions, etc. you have in inventory, the same time.

Also, there are indeed many stuff vanilla terraria lacks a bit, but mods offer many of these things too. Unfortunatelly at the moment, T-modloader still didn't caught up to 1.4, so it lacks many of the new features 1.4 can offer, but hopefully eventually it will catch up too.

The Frost Moon is summoned via naughty present (show some ectoplasm to the guide).
Thanks, I got confused there and looked at the Legion stuff. With the right item, I tried it out. Very tough. Got to wave 13, maybe halfway through it. Used a bunch of potions, even food (first time for everything), and have an excellent weapon and armour, so don't think there is much more I can do. A different arena might help a little, as some enemies must have spawned down in the town and I saw messages about 3 NPCs dying.

Waded through the jungle and fought Plantera 4-5 times, and somehow ended up with 4 more Seedler swords. Also crafted and equipped the Turtle armour set.

Do people actually get to the end of wave 15 or 20 in the Pumpkin and Frost Moon events? How?

Back
Top Bottom