WIP Buff Potion Tier List

Tallin

Golem
Buff Potion Tier List

Buff Potions. They are vital for most things in Terraria. From boosting your chances to get a rare item, to possibly being the thing that helps you through the final boss fight, these potions are essential. However, they are expensive. most potions need an herb and a fish, while some just need an herb. This raises 2 questions. Are some potions worth the hustle to get them, and what scenarios are they good in?

First we need to know about what we will be grading the potions on.
**THIS IS SPECIFICALLY A BUFF POTION TIER LIST: NO FOOD, FLASKS OR RECOVERY ITEMS WILL BE RANKED**
Check this link for the specific potions that we will be ranking: Buff potions

Okay so we will grade these on 4 different criteria (Thanks @ChimeraWarden for help with this bit)
1. Versatility- how many different situations it can be used in
2. Availability- how easy it is to get
3. Use- How good is its job
4. Effectiveness- how good does it do its job
5. Duration- This wont effect the overall rating unless its a luck potion
These will be marked with #####
5 # is amazing and so on
Now that we have cleared that up, lets get into the tier list

To get S+ you would need 5 #s on everything except duration

Ammo_Reservation_Potion.png
Ammo Reservation Potion: C
Versatility:###
Availability: ###
Use: #####
Effectiveness: ####

This potion is Very useful for all Ranger class players during bosses, Especially later game with the best ammo being expensive. However, its not all that useful outside of bosses, plus being a little bit expensive. I would much rather be fishing for an arguably better potion (Summon potion)

Archery_Potion.png
Archery Potion: S
Versitality: #####
Availability: #####
Use: #####
Effectiveness: ####

Archery is good for The entire game. This potion is cheap, effective, and pretty useful for how easy it is to get. EASY S.

Battle_Potion.png
Battle Potion: B
Versitality: ##
Use: ####
Effectiveness: #####

This seems like it's the worst potion in the entire game. but its not. it is one of the best. it just is B because it isn't the most useful during all situations.

Builder_Potion.png
Builder Potion: C
Versitality: #
Use: ###
Effectiveness: ##

I can see this potion having one use to the average player that doesnt go all out with building, and thats for making a boss arena. this is extremely niche but it does have a use

Calming_Potion.png
Calming potion: F

Versitality: #
Availability: #
Use: #
Effectiveness: #

Absolutely useless. a box made out of dirt outclasses it and takes 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes to catch a damselfish

Crate_Potion.png Crate Potion: C

Versitality: ##
Availability: ###
Use:#####
Effectiveness: #

This potion is required in 1.4 for crafting something like the Terraspark Boots. My 2 1.4 worlds didnt have a lava charm, or water walking boots, or ice skates. Yet i still got the boots. How? with this. Now this doesnt make it that much easier, it still did a little bit. This is a potion with a 10/10 use with a 3/10 effectiveness rate
This is the end of the guide for now! it is a WIP. Will be finished soon!

Last edited:
Is Ammo Reservation really a must have for Ranged? It gives no net combat abilities, it just makes your life slightly easier outside of bosses. Emphasis on slightly - it’s only 20% less ammo used. And honestly, you could just get 20% more ammo instead of fish for double cod without much loss. Also, it only helps ranged. Between all this I’d cut it down to a lower tier and reduce what it has in versataility (only ranged), use and effectiveness (only 20% ammo saved, no direct combat boosts).

Is Ammo Reservation really a must have for Ranged? It gives no net combat abilities, it just makes your life slightly easier outside of bosses. Emphasis on slightly - it’s only 20% less ammo used. And honestly, you could just get 20% more ammo instead of fish for double cod without much loss. Also, it only helps ranged. Between all this I’d cut it down to a lower tier and reduce what it has in versataility (only ranged), use and effectiveness (only 20% ammo saved, no direct combat boosts).
I somewhat agree, but I'd say that this Potion is especially useful for builds that use different Ammo Types (i.e. Ichor Darts, Cursed Bullets). Also considering the fact that many Guns & Bows consume Ammo differently, it's a great options for consistencies sake. I suspect this is one of the Buffs better used for adventuring & Invasions, more than it is for Bossing. Combined with an Ammon Box buff, I could see this being extremely useful, but not essential. 🤔🥤

I somewhat agree, but I'd say that this Potion is especially useful for builds that use different Ammo Types (i.e. Ichor Darts, Cursed Bullets). Also considering the fact that many Guns & Bows consume Ammo differently, it's a great options for consistencies sake. I suspect this is one of the Buffs better used for adventuring & Invasions, more than it is for Bossing. Combined with an Ammon Box buff, I could see this being extremely useful, but not essential. 🤔🥤
Now that I agree with

Oh yeah. I forgot about the fact that it wouldn't be very useful outside of boss fights.

Also i added builder potion
Spoiler: its bad

Last edited:
The ammo resorvation potions really isn't that good.

Most ammo in this game is cheap, and the ammo potion requires fishing in surface jungle.
I think the only ammos that I'd consider using this with are holy arrows or jester's arrows.
A lot of people complain about chloro being expensive but it really isn't with mining and spelunker potions you can mine chlorophyte much faster than you could fish for double cods, and if you went through the trouble of finding 20 life fruits you should have more chlorophyte than you'll ever need.

Then there's the fact that all this potion does, if it works is save resources, it doesn't keep you alive longer, and it doesn't kill things faster, and its nowhere near as much of time saver as things like spelunker, mining or battle potions.

If I'm jungle fishing I would rather go underground where I can get lardfish which make a much more useful potion.

Uh... building is quite a really important part of the game. Building arenas, farms, fishing spots and especially NPC houses are a huge part of the game. I'm not sure why Builder Potion is ranked that low when it provides a very significant boost to building speed, which is again a big & important aspect of the game even if your focus is on the combat.

Uh... building is quite a really important part of the game. Building arenas, farms, fishing spots and especially NPC houses are a huge part of the game. I'm not sure why Builder Potion is ranked that low when it provides a very significant boost to building speed, which is again a big & important aspect of the game even if your focus is on the combat.
It’s very rare to see people using the Builder potion, and a much more efficient tool for building would be the Architect Gizmo pack, which has no time limit and provides a lot more building-related boosts other than increased build speed.
In other words:
Builder Potion: no
Architect Gizmo Pack: yes

Even if your focus is on combat, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to build an arena - the speed is just enough to where you don’t walk off the end while building, and that accelarates the process by a lot. And it lasts 45 minutes, so one should be enough to make the entire thing. It’s with Spelunker and Mining as incredibly helpful non-combat potions.

Edit: @ChimeraWarden builder potions have a cheapness advantage over Gizmo Pack. It takes no special materials aside from herbs you should be mass producing with an herb farm, and lasts 45 minutes, making them *incredibly* cheap to utilize, whereas Gizmo requires several items from Traveling Merchant or a few other places. And I’m pretty sure they stack, if you really want to build something like an arena fast.

I'd probably agree with Shyguymask above that the Builder Potion is ranked a bit low. I've seen a noticeable boost in building effectiveness for arenas, housing and other assorted structures. For example, you place tiles and walls faster, and you can place them at a greater distance. It also lasts for an insane amount of time for a potion (45 minutes) which is long enough to build many structures. Add that to it being simple enough to craft, being common enough as loot to be acquired in appreciable quantities passively, and stacking with the Architect Gizmo Pack; and I'd say it deserves a higher ranking.

Even if all you build is arenas I'm pretty sure a builder potions saves more time than an ammo potions.

Edit: Also how does it only have # avialibility? It can be found in wood chests and if you want to craft it it only needs herbs which can be farmed super easily and on top of that 1 potion lasts a whopping 45 minutes.

Last edited:
It’s very rare to see people using the Builder potion, and a much more efficient tool for building would be the Architect Gizmo pack, which has no time limit and provides a lot more building-related boosts other than increased build speed.
In other words:
Builder Potion: no
Architect Gizmo Pack: yes
You can use both Builder Potion and Gizmo. They stack. And Builder potion is easy to craft & lasts a huge 45 minutes.

I retested Ammo Reservation and builder (I just built the same arena 2 times one with builder one without(Thanks journey mode) And yes, you guys were right, builder did make it easier so i will up it
as for ammo reservation, it is hard to get (took 5 minutes to get a single double cod with master bait and golden rod while raining) and i can only see it being used with an ammo box and a gun like the megashark

Archery Potion should be S tier. Its damage bonus happens after every other damage increase, so it's a much more significant bonus than any other damage item in the game with a dedicated build.
It being limited to Bows doesnt matter, we are talking about the overall best weapon type in the game, with ammo types for every situation. It's also dirt cheap, lens and blinkroot are super easy to pick up.

Crate potions in C... I actually agree with, Crates really arent as rewarding as one would think.

Battle potion deserves A tier, if your farming enemies it just speeds stuff up. You should always be using these when you want to loot enemies.

Calming potion should be lowered, its outclassed by... covering your fishing spot in blocks. Enemies that can fly through blocks won't spawn if you're standing in front of a wall. This is so safe that you can throw in a water candle and battle potions then let your minions attack stuff while you go fishing.

Builder potion should have an availability of ##### it literally just needs herbs, and none of the herbs are hard to get.

Crate potions in C... I actually agree with, Crates really arent as rewarding as one would think.
Crates are where you get most of your bait, you'll reach a point where with crate potions you can fish indefinatly because you keep getting master bait from iron+ crates.

# effectiveness is just no, it literally doubles the number of crates you get, terraspark boots are just not worth getting in general, get crates for the best bait in the game not terraspark components...

Last edited:
Archery Potion should be S tier. Its damage bonus happens after every other damage increase, so it's a much more significant bonus than any other damage item in the game with a dedicated build.
It being limited to Bows doesnt matter, we are talking about the overall best weapon type in the game, with ammo types for every situation. It's also dirt cheap, lens and blinkroot are super easy to pick up.
Actually, now that i think about it, phantasm is the sole reason i beat moon lord in expert mode. I was completely wrong about the statement that guns overshadow bows. This is true before you beat Duke Fishron, but the moment you get the tsunami, bows are overpowered. Archery potion, S

Back
Top Bottom