Notable pre-Hardmode weapons in early Hardmode

It also deals barely any damage. What was it, 30 for each shot fired? More enemies will spawn before you kill them all.

Last edited:
It also deals barely any damage. What was it, 30 for each shot fired? Mode enemies will spawn before you kill them all.
It's 31, don't forget to add on ammo damage too.
Meteor shots bring that up to 40. which is a fairly comparable base damage to night's edge.
In terms of dps night's edge is about 70% better than the musket, but in early hardmode safety is a priority so the musket is better.

Statements about Nights edge being good in early-HM are only (remotedly) true in classic mode. But even then, musket is superior. Range, bounce, reliability at long distances are key reasons for that.
Any broadsword without powerful projectiles is fine only against basic, fighter AI mobs and next to useless everywhere else (excl. Fetid & Bladetongue)

Pick your choice:
30% more damage and at least 50% chance to die (master mode – 90%)
30% less damage and safety

Statements about Nights edge being good in early-HM are only (remotedly) true in classic mode. But even then, musket is superior. Range, bounce, reliability at long distances are key reasons for that.
Any broadsword without powerful projectiles is fine only against basic, fighter AI mobs and next to useless everywhere else (excl. Fetid & Bladetongue)

Pick your choice:
30% more damage and at least 50% chance to die (master mode – 90%)
30% less damage and safety
More like 70% less damage and also more enemies spawn. Where did you get the number 30%. Also, do not forget archer skeletons. Nights edge can easily shred them if you can run faster than a snail. Musket does nothing until more enemies spawn. Also, nights edge is fast enough so that you do not just trade hits with mobs.

"Why not both?"

I don't see harm in using either weapon depending on the situation.
If enemies are on range, or if you're low on health, use the musket.
If enemies are closing in, or you're getting close to them, then use the Night's Edge for a quick kill, or use it to knock them back, then use the musket again when out of range to keep them stunlocked.

I know this is a tier list for weapons if you're entirely dependend on them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use different weapons for different situations.

"Why not both?"

I don't see harm in using either weapon depending on the situation.
If enemies are on range, or if you're low on health, use the musket.
If enemies are closing in, or you're getting close to them, then use the Night's Edge for a quick kill, or use it to knock them back, then use the musket again when out of range to keep them stunlocked.

I know this is a tier list for weapons if you're entirely dependend on them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use different weapons for different situations.
My one counter- Pheonix blaster. Everything else u said I agree with, but musket seems useless early hm when pheonix blaster is easily obtainable.

My one counter- Pheonix blaster. Everything else u said I agree with, but musket seems useless early hm when pheonix blaster is easily obtainable.
I can agree with that. Though I've not really tested it by never bringing a musket in Hardmode.
Regardless, I do think the Musket has some more use than the Night's Edge has, though not by a big margin.
And there's not a large gap between them either (C vs B-), so I think the rating is fair.

More like 70% less damage and also more enemies spawn. Where did you get the number 30%. Also, do not forget archer skeletons. Nights edge can easily shred them if you can run faster than a snail. Musket does nothing until more enemies spawn. Also, nights edge is fast enough so that you do not just trade hits with mobs.
Idk, archer kill me before I even get close to them with a broadsword (as well as Ichor Stickers, Clingers etc.)
Even + 200% dmg of the Nights edge do not matter if you are killed
More mobs spawned? OK. But how many of them can actually harm you, if you play carefully (as you very well should if you are with literally pre-HM gear)?

The only situation I can imagine where nights edge is more useful is when you are 1 vs 1 underground with a block-ignoring ememy (crimson axe) at a point-blank range.
And suddenly skeletron archer appears behind you! What will you do? Musket will at least interrupt him and axe due to accuracy and linear piercing. Nights edge allows only to run at him, facetanking all the arrows. And the crimson axe is still alive...

Idk, archer kill me before I even get close to them with a broadsword (as well as Ichor Stickers, Clingers etc.)
Even + 200% dmg of the Nights edge do not matter if you are killed
More mobs spawned? OK. But how many of them can actually harm you, if you play carefully (as you very well should if you are with literally pre-HM gear)?

The only situation I can imagine where nights edge is more useful is when you are 1 vs 1 underground with a block-ignoring ememy (crimson axe) at a point-blank range.
And suddenly skeletron archer appears behind you! What will you do? Musket will at least interrupt him and axe due to accuracy and linear piercing. Nights edge allows only to run at him, facetanking all the arrows. And the crimson axe is still alive...
Skeleton archers, ichor stickers and floaty gross. Also, nights edge will kill the crimson axe fast enough that it will not be alive. Nights edge can even hit in the back a little. Also, You can just run at the archer and slap them as they are slower than dirt and their bow shots are easy to dodge.

I will say that Night’s Edge is pretty helpful against bats. Early hardmode, bats can be a pain in the :red: to deal with with their small hitbox and erratic movement, and Night’s Edge, as a large broadsword with autoswing, is pretty effective at keeping them off. How much that’s worth is up for debate, but in my last melee run I did hold on to it for a little while just for the sake of keeping early hardmode bats off of me. More effective than a gun or many other weapons in that case, at least.

Definitely don’t use a broadsword without a projectile against projectile enemies. The closer you are, the harder their projectiles are to dosge, and in expert+ I wish you luck tanking them. If you knock the enemy too far away, they can just start shooting again. Especially ichor stickers, their projectile moves insanely fast and is punishing against tanks.

I will say that Night’s Edge is pretty helpful against bats. Early hardmode, bats can be a pain in the :red: to deal with with their small hitbox and erratic movement, and Night’s Edge, as a large broadsword with autoswing, is pretty effective at keeping them off. How much that’s worth is up for debate, but in my last melee run I did hold on to it for a little while just for the sake of keeping early hardmode bats off of me. More effective than a gun or many other weapons in that case, at least.

Definitely don’t use a broadsword without a projectile against projectile enemies. The closer you are, the harder their projectiles are to dosge, and in expert+ I wish you luck tanking them. If you knock the enemy too far away, they can just start shooting again. Especially ichor stickers, their projectile moves insanely fast and is punishing against tanks.
true, though certain ones (skeleton archers expecially) are easy to face tank regardless of the mode.

Aganist bats it is indeed good (as good as Sunfury). But nah, still can't catch your drift about archers
catching up to the archers is all you have to do, than just spam your sword. The archer might get one fire off while you are running, but you usually have enough defense and health for it not to matter much, even with molten armor.

3DFD2DA1-BDB6-4BD1-9021-CD7DE619679A.jpeg

Skeleton Archers actually hit pretty hard in Expert and by extension Master. I wouldn’t recommend trying to tank this, it would take late hardmode levels of defense to reduce this reasomably, it would still hit for around 100 damage even with 70 defense.

View attachment 321702
Skeleton Archers actually hit pretty hard in Expert and by extension Master. I wouldn’t recommend trying to tank this, it would take late hardmode levels of defense to reduce this reasomably, it would still hit for around 100 damage even with 70 defense.
Nights edge will interrupt their shooting, and even taking 170 damage is expected if you are in the cavern layer. Plus, you should heal 100 of that immediatly with health potions.

Back
Top Bottom