Notable pre-Hardmode weapons in early Hardmode

Nights edge will interrupt their shooting, and even taking 170 damage is expected if you are in the cavern layer. Plus, you should heal 100 of that immediatly with health potions.
The issue is getting to them, and possibly losing hold of them, without getting shot at. 140 damage is quite a heavy hit, and even if it’s common for enemies, you generally want to avoid hits anyway.

My initial idea is to speed up the Nights edge as much as possible (snapthorn, feral claws) and combine with bone glove
This accessory shoud interrupt archers and nights edge stunlock/DPS
Not facetanking, but it is still quite dangerous
What's giving it extra speed supposed to acomplish? it takes way longer than 21 frames (night edge default speed) for the archer to shoot.
Bone glove is probably a good idea

What's giving it extra speed supposed to acomplish? it takes way longer than 21 frames (night edge default speed) for the archer to shoot.
Bone glove is probably a good idea
To kill him faster with the blade itself; bone glove is used while l'm approaching

The issue is getting to them, and possibly losing hold of them, without getting shot at. 140 damage is quite a heavy hit, and even if it’s common for enemies, you generally want to avoid hits anyway.
Getting to them is fairly easy as long as you have some mobility. All you need to navigate caverns is a double jump and maybe boots.

Realistically speaking, both Snapthorn and Spinal Tap should be S+ because they're not just viable early hardmode weapons, they're straight up an essential weapons through half of Hardmode as a whole when using Blade staff. Snapthorn for Sanguine staff too if using Obsidian Armor. They don't get retired until Post-Plantera.

Last edited:
Isn’t the Firecracker much more effective with Sanguine Staff? And doesn’t it require constant whipping to maintain high DPS? So if you switch to Snapthorn your DPS will plummet?
Firecracker + Snapthorn stacked with each other and sanguine
DPS does not skyrocket, but pretty effective

Edit:
In fact, all whips Snapthorn - > Spinal tap - > Firecracker - > Durendal - > Dark Harvest - > Kaleidoscope deserve S, and the most lasting ones are S+
Exceptions:
cool whip – no *effective* perks
morning star – slow, soon replaced by the dark harvest, 5 tag dmg could be ignored
leather whip – only tag dmg stacking with the snapthorn, not much more

Kaleidoscope should be definitely S, the strongest whip by itself , highest tag and crit, not slow (effectively boosted by dark harvest), and the longest one

Last edited:
Isn’t the Firecracker much more effective with Sanguine Staff? And doesn’t it require constant whipping to maintain high DPS? So if you switch to Snapthorn your DPS will plummet?
That is indeed what I believe is the case with Spider/Hallowed armor, but with Obsidian armor the range and speed are increased significantly. Applying Snapthorn is a lot more practical, and possibly more beneficial as well since you're spending slightly less time switching to it in the first place. Probably not with Durendal though, I feel like three whips at that point is more time spent switching than worth. As a whole the topic of "Support" whips for Firecracker is complex and warrants a mathematical analysis/breakdown.

Edit: @AngryNimbus

Exceptions:
cool whip – no *effective* perks
morning star – slow, soon replaced by the dark harvest, 5 tag dmg could be ignored

Disagree on Cool Whip. It may be the worst whip alongside Leather, but it's still semi-viable. For Blade Staff Pre-mech, it makes an effective substitute for Durendal to increase DPS after summon tag has been applied by Snapthorn/Spinal Tap. I actually did some brief DPS testing and I found Cool Whip to increase overall DPS by a vague triple digit amount against Twins (150-250 estimate?). The relatively high base damage combined with Frost Burn and the Snowflake minion gives you something to deal damage with after again you already applied tag damage with the two other whips. Not to mention the range enables you to reliably strike Spazmatism's first phase.

With Morning Star, personally I found it to have slightly higher DPS than Dark Harvest, and if they're somewhere equal in DPS, then Morning Star's tag damage & crit chance are the tie breaker.

That said, honestly I'm not sure why we're talking deep about hardmode weapons in a Pre-hardmode weapon thread tbh.

Last edited:
There are one that I believe deserves at least an A-. The Sunfury. It pretty much steamrolls all pre-hardmode situations with little exceptions, and is excellent in taking out the hungries due to it's abnormal amount of damage when thrown. It can easily deal up to 80 damage per hit when thrown,and because of that, it is decent in taking out hardmode enemies as well. It does struggle with bats a bit, but it has no problem dealing with grounded enemies and archers. Personally, the worst drawback is thus far the range, but in my opinion it's sheer power should be able to give it a A-.

That said, honestly I'm not sure why we're talking deep about hardmode weapons in a Pre-hardmode weapon thread tbh.
Oh, sorry, didn't see the topic (blind as always, thunderstotms decrease the vision a lot, for sure)

Maybe we should consider the Crimson Rod + sharpened melee weapon as a somewhat useful tool?

Back
Top Bottom