Will this prevent the corruption from spreading into my base?

Tedted14

Terrarian
I have dug a 6 wide rectangle around my base to stop the corruption from spreading in it, before I fill it with wood, I want to know if it will stop the corruption from spreading.

Image:
Capture.PNG

This is my first post so I am sorry if I did anything wrong.

It does look like it.
But you do cover quite a large area, be aware that, if you break Demon/Crimson Altars, there's a change a tile in the world goes hallowed/corrupt. And that might be one in your safe zone too.

One tile is not much, but it adds up once it spreads.

It does look like it.
But you do cover quite a large area, be aware that, if you break Demon/Crimson Altars, there's a change a tile in the world goes hallowed/corrupt. And that might be one in your safe zone too.

How can i prevent this without removing my border?

How can i prevent this without removing my border?
Easiest way: don't break any Demon Altars.
But eventually that would hinder your progress too. So I'd rather say don't break more than 3 to reduce the chance as much as possible. Or you could fish for hardmode crates.

It does look like it.

This can only happen in the Cavern layer (at least according to the wiki). Perhaps there is cavern in that area in the screenshot, but probably not a huge amount. It can happen ofc, but the chance isn't high, given how many tiles are in the cavern layer elsewhere in the world.

Don't worry about the walls. Evil can't spread from walls to regular tiles, and the walls can't keep spreading to each other for ever either. IIRC from a reply somewhere, evil can only spread to walls within a certain (low) amount from normal-tiles evil. So provided the rest of your area is clean, the walls won't get affected either.

The main thing that happens is the big "V" that pops up, which could be through that rectangle. You can't control where it cuts through the land, so the best you can do is to make preparations like you have done, and then deal with whatever happens if it is something dire. That V went straight through my safe zone in my first ever game, which was a pain, but thankfully it was the hallowed section, so not as bad as it could have been.

All you need in general is a three-tiles wide safe zone. However, evil grass or vines could potentially spread the evil too, so be aware of that, especially near the upper parts of the map. This also means that if you line that 3-tiles wide shaft with an incorruptible tile, like grey brick or wood, it can't pass through it (outside the initial creation of the V). Something like:
grey brick | empty | empty | empty | grey brick
is 100% safe -- again, except the initial creation of the V. You also have the potential issue of the random one tile popping up from smashing an altar, which can then spread a lot, but it cannot jump across the shaft, only go around it (given enough time).

Of course that would have to line the entire shaft to be safe, from top to bottom of the world, which is pretty damn boring to make, but it may be worth it.

The main thing that happens is the big "V" that pops up, which could be through that rectangle. You can't control where it cuts through the land, so the best you can do is to make preparations like you have done, and then deal with whatever happens if it is something dire. That V went straight through my safe zone in my first ever game, which was a pain, but thankfully it was the hallowed section, so not as bad as it could have been.
I heard that it shoots up where the wall of flesh dies, is this true?

I heard that it shoots up where the wall of flesh dies, is this true?
No. It shoots up randomly in a V from anywhere near the center of the world and at the bottom of the world (it can infect the underworld too if you placed infectable blocks in them). They doesn't have to be at the same place, as evil and hallow have their different spawn points. It's all randomized.

No. It shoots up randomly in a V from anywhere near the center of the world and at the bottom of the world (it can infect the underworld too if you placed infectable blocks in them). They doesn't have to be at the same place, as evil and hallow have their different spawn points. It's all randomized.
How do I prevent it from going into my isolation area then?

It's random, so you can't guarantee it. But it is a V, and that V won't cut straight through the centre of the map, so chances are that if your rectangle is impacted, it will be across one of the corners or something like that, and not right across the centre of it. You'll just have to go into hardmode, and then see what happens.

From what I heard, you can't "re-do" it either, because it's based on the map seed.

I have decided to build it a bit higher up so I can mine altars freely.
image_2021-06-04_155656.png

Is this a good idea?

Stupid spider nest is triggering my arachnophobia.

Back
Top Bottom