tModLoader No Breaking Doors

icon.png

No Breaking Doors
v1.1.0.0

A simple mod that prevents Goblin Peons from breaking down doors. That's it.

Downloads:
- Mod Browser
- Direct Link
- Direct Link (Mirror)

GitHub

- 1.0.0.0: Release.
- 1.0.0.1: Added proper homepage to mod.
- 1.1.0.0: Made it so no enemies can open doors as well. Can be configured.

Last edited:
the mechanic:
am I a joke to you?
if you mean actuators, I think it's not as much about "yeah, just use actuated walls, and goblins can't dismantle those" - from practical viewpoint, sure, that works, but if it's about design, it varies.
and if you want to use doors in a build, because that's how you think it looks good, it's rather rude of the goblins to ruin them all the time, and then NPCs get all confused too, because their housing stopped being a housing, so they try to move elsewhere and you have to re-assign everyone to their houses. it's very annoying.

This is fantastic, and I'd love to see it expanded to include other enemies and gates as well.

You are already able to make doors that are indestructable by just putting a background object right next to the door, such as a torch. Doing so renders the door 100% immune to every attempt to breach it (IIRC). But this can sometimes look silly, and let's be real, no-one is actually all that concerned about doors breaking on us anymore, right? Like yeah, the first blood moon when our tiny shack of safety was breached was pretty horrifying, but if you're installing mods, odds are you've played the game enough that it ceases to be anything more than an annoyance.

If you could expand this to cover other door breaking events (Blood moons, eclipses, etc), I'd download it in a heartbeat. I'd also love (Although this may go beyond scope) if you could make it so that gates are similarly indestructable, and also couldn't be knocked one. Since you can't barricade them like doors, they're actually far less useful, despite being more expensive and requiring a later game workbench. If you happen to like how they look for a build, you're at a disadvantage over putting a simple wooden door and a single torch at your entrance.

Making them indestructable would put them back into line with the door, and as an added bonus for the additional expense, making it so that zombies can't annoy you at night by constantly knocking on it would be awesome.

@Aegis27
while zombies breaking in can be dangerous, but they just "open" the door (but only can do so to the inside) not actually breaking it, unlike goblin peons, so, zombies don't cause that much plus work to repair the damage, usually.

nevertheless, that might be useful too. although I find it no concern regarding normal doors (it could be made toggleable or something) but you're right with large gates, that despite them looking strong, they're one of the weakest type of doors...

@Aegis27
while zombies breaking in can be dangerous, but they just "open" the door (but only can do so to the inside) not actually breaking it, unlike goblin peons, so, zombies don't cause that much plus work to repair the damage, usually.

nevertheless, that might be useful too. although I find it no concern regarding normal doors (it could be made toggleable or something) but you're right with large gates, that despite them looking strong, they're one of the weakest type of doors...
you could just make a new door type *like an iron door or smth* that cant be broken

you could just make a new door type *like an iron door or smth* that cant be broken
that's not the point as far as goblins concerned.
it's not a special type of door you want, that comes in one design, if you're a builder annoyed that goblins ruin your houses, but that all types of doors stay safe. because one build looks good with this type of door, and the other with a different one. that is what I think, and that's why the "just use actuated solid blocks" isn't the best solution either.

when it's about the looks of the build, it's the best if any and all doors can be used. so everyone can use what they think fits there the best.

This is fantastic, and I'd love to see it expanded to include other enemies and gates as well.

You are already able to make doors that are indestructable by just putting a background object right next to the door, such as a torch. Doing so renders the door 100% immune to every attempt to breach it (IIRC). But this can sometimes look silly, and let's be real, no-one is actually all that concerned about doors breaking on us anymore, right? Like yeah, the first blood moon when our tiny shack of safety was breached was pretty horrifying, but if you're installing mods, odds are you've played the game enough that it ceases to be anything more than an annoyance.

If you could expand this to cover other door breaking events (Blood moons, eclipses, etc), I'd download it in a heartbeat. I'd also love (Although this may go beyond scope) if you could make it so that gates are similarly indestructable, and also couldn't be knocked one. Since you can't barricade them like doors, they're actually far less useful, despite being more expensive and requiring a later game workbench. If you happen to like how they look for a build, you're at a disadvantage over putting a simple wooden door and a single torch at your entrance.

Making them indestructable would put them back into line with the door, and as an added bonus for the additional expense, making it so that zombies can't annoy you at night by constantly knocking on it would be awesome.
@Aegis27

Update 1.1.0.0 has been released, preventing enemies from opening doors (and Tall Gates) at all.
If you for some reason want them to open doors again, you can re-enable it in the config.

Absolutely fantastic, downloaded in a heartbeat and already loving that I can debarricade all of my buildings. Now I just need to find a way to disable that annoying knocking....

that's not the point as far as goblins concerned.
it's not a special type of door you want, that comes in one design, if you're a builder annoyed that goblins ruin your houses, but that all types of doors stay safe. because one build looks good with this type of door, and the other with a different one. that is what I think, and that's why the "just use actuated solid blocks" isn't the best solution either.

when it's about the looks of the build, it's the best if any and all doors can be used. so everyone can use what they think fits there the best.
how about make a crafting res for all door types and an actuator or smth to make wooden(unbreakable) door and stuff

how about make a crafting res for all door types and an actuator or smth to make wooden(unbreakable) door and stuff
I think that's just overcomplicating it. easier to change the setting of all doors (it seems), than creating an unbreakable varian for each door.

I never realized this was something people wanted, infact I never realized these guys even break doors at all... wow lol. As for door opening honestly surprised something like this didn't exist sooner.
Nice IL patch thou.

@Sora_92 place a workbench in front of doors in your houses, that's it
The peon one makes more sense, since they flat out destroy doors and make them drop

place a workbench in front of doors in your houses, that's it
The peon one makes more sense, since they flat out destroy doors and make them drop
yes, I usually just place whatever furniture in front of the door and they're safe. that wasn't my concern since the start, but guess adding that option won't hurt either.

my main problem was goblin peons, because unlike zombies, they don't open the door, but outright dismathle them, ruining the housing, and giving you a bunch of plus work to fix everything, both placing door back where they were, and re-assigning all the NPCs to their houses that the goblins temporarily invalidated.

My issue with the whole barricading thing is just that it forced you to do it regardless of any other design intentions you had for a build. Want a nice, spacious, grand hallway? A opulent throne room? A bunker entrance? Doesn't matter, there has to be something blocking the door, no matter how it looks.

To reiterate what I said before, it's incredibly easy to block doors, and it's not a significant threat for most players and most of the game if they do break in. So all we're left with is the annoyance of having to barricade every single exterior door, regardless of how it looks. I can only speak for myself, but my current build looks way, way nicer now that I've removed the torches blocking the doors.

If all a mechanic adds is annoyance, might as well just remove it altogether.

My approach is usually to build the doors a few blocks above the ground, as long as it's not on even ground with the floor and sticking out of a wall, the enemies can't break it when jumping.

I really love the mod, but I have an issue I THINK is coming from this mod, but I can't be sure.

I'm playing with a friend on a server I locally host, the mod is installed and enabled for both of us and yet it doesn't seem to work on the server.
Let me explain, for all players on the server, monsters can break doors, but when we log off then log back on, the doors are still there, they're just opened.
Playing single-player doesn't have that problem.

I really love the mod, but I have an issue I THINK is coming from this mod, but I can't be sure.

I'm playing with a friend on a server I locally host, the mod is installed and enabled for both of us and yet it doesn't seem to work on the server.
Let me explain, for all players on the server, monsters can break doors, but when we log off then log back on, the doors are still there, they're just opened.
Playing single-player doesn't have that problem.
I just tried it out and can't seem to reproduce it. Can you send your modlist?

Can confirm it is working as intended on a multiplayer Calamity modlist with a few other mods installed.

Back
Top Bottom