tModLoader Infinite world - A proof of concept that prove nothing is impossible (W.I.P)

Hello there. Are you planning to only make the world infinite horizontally or vertically as well? If both, I have a suggestion to make vertical infinity optional (and have said size be controlled through world size option).
Also, how are you planning to handle vanilla distance-related content such as Pillar and Goblin Scout spawning, etc.?

Hello there. Are you planning to only make the world infinite horizontally or vertically as well? If both, I have a suggestion to make vertical infinity optional (and have said size be controlled through world size option).
Also, how are you planning to handle vanilla distance-related content such as Pillar and Goblin Scout spawning, etc.?
will be limited to default height by default, but mod will be able to add their own generator and all to expend beyond the underworld or above the sky.

For distance related stuff, pillar will probably stay default but might make the goblin scout spawn everywhere.

1 thing is sure, it won't be ready anytime soon. I'm literally alone for now to do this, it's a colossal task as I have to try to understand how perlin work.
Oh yeah, totally understand. I don't know much about coding or anything, but from what I can grasp, this seems like a really big task.

Rather than making Goblin Scout (and King Slime) spawn everywhere, I'd suggest making minimal distance from spawn dependent on world size options (a nice touch to keep the latter ones relevant)

Rather than making Goblin Scout (and King Slime) spawn everywhere, I'd suggest making minimal distance from spawn dependent on world size options (a nice touch to keep the latter ones relevant)
I honestly could use advantage of the biome system I'm gonna work on for that. Started it yesterday.
1623925639197.png

Well, 1 thing lead to another, so I decided that terraria map system suck and started to write mine. Not much, but there is a black square so that is a start, the data is there, just not rendered properly (oh btw, I got noise surface world gen to work, yay).

1624026408228.png

Update on thing, trying to figure out how to do ore world gen. Doing it trough noise will be more of a challenge than I thought at first. I'm exploring potential solution rn, like making ore gen in specific part of the chunk to avoid potential chain reaction for generation or making ore noise gen, 1 thing that is sure is that if I do it with TileRunner, it won't look as good.
1624622026973.png

(this is a screenshot of my initial attempt)

Hi @Dradonhunter11 this is an amazing project. I'm not super familiar with perl code, all I remember hearing about it is that the syntax can be difficult to remember it all. I think the procedural generation is cool as it would be like minecraft. But I also think Terraria isn't designed to do that, so it will be a massive undertaking to make something new from scratch. However, Terraria generates worlds through loading screens is how I imagine the world generation to work. There might be a reason Terraria loads things through a loading screen. There might be some weird looking things upon procedural generation that auto corrects itself with time. Which would be why your blinded by a loading screen. But idk how the world generation works for Terraria. Procedural generation might load world chunks faster than other elements like monster spawns or something, and cause clipping issues. Just something to keep in mind as development progresses on this. Might need to keep player stuck at the edge of new world and then precompile the rest of the world off screen. I imagine procedural generation would cause the new world stuff to just be barren at first, then maybe spawns on a revisit. Which would make the exploration easy. Unless the procedural generation is just testing world generation. That's fine, I just don't see Terraria being the kind of game to have that implemented so easily as a feature.

Hi @Dradonhunter11 this is an amazing project. I'm not super familiar with perl code, all I remember hearing about it is that the syntax can be difficult to remember it all. I think the procedural generation is cool as it would be like minecraft. But I also think Terraria isn't designed to do that, so it will be a massive undertaking to make something new from scratch. However, Terraria generates worlds through loading screens is how I imagine the world generation to work. There might be a reason Terraria loads things through a loading screen. There might be some weird looking things upon procedural generation that auto corrects itself with time. Which would be why your blinded by a loading screen. But idk how the world generation works for Terraria. Procedural generation might load world chunks faster than other elements like monster spawns or something, and cause clipping issues. Just something to keep in mind as development progresses on this. Might need to keep player stuck at the edge of new world and then precompile the rest of the world off screen. I imagine procedural generation would cause the new world stuff to just be barren at first, then maybe spawns on a revisit. Which would make the exploration easy. Unless the procedural generation is just testing world generation. That's fine, I just don't see Terraria being the kind of game to have that implemented so easily as a feature.
There's a few things I'd like to address in this statement.
1) Terraria and tModLoader are written in C#, not Perl. Whatever you know about Perl will not apply here.
2) I've seen Dradon's code in regard to accessing tiles within an "infinite world", and it's far, far simpler than you're making it out to be.
3) The only world generation that happens during gameplay (at least in vanilla) is when the strips appear in Hardmode and ore generation from smashing altars. Even in modding, adding world generation during gameplay isn't super complicated. Terraria only uses a loading screen because waiting for the world to generate would be boring otherwise. There is no "auto correction" here; world generation that happens when you create the world stays that way until it's explicitly modified by something else.
4) Terraria technically already has a "chunk generation" mechanic in regard to multiplayer. For each client, only a certain part of the world is sent to them by the server. In order to view the rest of it, the player must get near the 200x150 tile areas which represents those "world chunks".

In short, while this may seem crass, you have no idea what you're talking about. World generation in Minecraft isn't that complicated, and neither will the world generation for InfWorld be that complicated either.

This looks amazing so far, would be great to be able to play with 2 or 3 friends on a map that is expanding. Are there any new updates? :)

Back
Top Bottom