I was wondering if any of you guys play Master Mode more now that it came out, or stick to Expert Mode?

I love the difficulty of master mode, I just wish it changed the AI a little more.

Though rarely mentioned, OOA is also dramatically affected by the changes from MM, and if you though Bestsy was a DPS check before... 😬🥶

My 18 deaths on master mode ooa can confirm that t3 ooa on master is a :red:ing vibe check.

Although I wasn't aware that eol, Duke and wof get bigger speed boosts on master then they do on expert.

You can try Flower Pow if you are on melee. Basically stake launcher but with higher damage and shorter range. No damage penalties and infinite piercing!!

You can try Flower Pow if you are on melee. Basically stake launcher but with higher damage and shorter range. No damage penalties and infinite piercing!!
I have friends to help me, and I don't really like melee. Most of the people I play with use melee, so I might recommend it to them.

My 18 deaths on master mode ooa can confirm that t3 ooa on master is a :red:ing vibe check.
...a whole 🥾💥 vibe check!

Betsy: "How you doin'? Come see me when you get bored stranger." 😈

Master Mode OOA feels impossible without having friends help.
A number of things I'd like to note, only because they come up very often, Master Mode doesn't pull it's punches, every Boss encounter is doable by a single player (of course), but only if... (and all of this depends on factors such as player skill-level, failure-state tolerance etc.) you come into the 'door' knowing what you've signed up for. The reason Master Mode works so well IMHO, is that it only adds-to a few things that were already great about Expert Mode ever-so-slightly.
  • The number of mistakes you're allowed to make are severely decreased (Bosses/ Enemies that gave you trouble are worse).
  • The requirements to 'hone' your tools and equipment is enforced a bit more (this could be largely ignore in other Modes).
  • The use of Potions, Flasks and other Utility items is heavily incentivized, if not "required".
  • The time the player has to deal with the "frenzy state" of most Bosses is universally increased.
  • The player is rewarded with more 'build diversity', same as with Expert Mode, but an extra 'slot' to work with (i.e. EM exclusive items).
Most of these changes are more-than-enough to justify an increase in difficulty, though a change to A.I. would've worked just as well. It's honestly tough to know which change would've been the more desirable one, as I've played Mods like Calamity and absolutely loved what they did with some Bosses like EoC, others though just felt cheap, and I'd argue, 'broke' the cardinal rule of these games, like "item requirement" and "intuitive progression".

Then again, I'm always reminding Terrarians that 1.4's difficulty choices were divided up into separate categories, for as much customization as possible, like a more forgiving "Expert, FTW" run or a "Master, Party Island" run. You don't have to go all-in on the 'bloated stats' route (which isn't what some people want in a challenge run), that's just the most obvious option that most games gravitate toward, especially if something like NG+ (New Game Plus) is a feature.

Back
Top Bottom