Other Game Doom (And its younger brothers)

h92Tm0K.png

CarmageDOOM? Now that sounds like fun.

Zandronum is a multiplayer oriented port, based off Skulltag, for Doom and Doom II by id Software.

Zandronum brings classic Doom into the 21st century, maintaining the essence of what has made Doom great for so many years and, at the same time, adding new features to modernize it, creating a fresh, fun new experience.

https://zandronum.com/

ZDoom is an enhanced port of the official DOOM source code to Win32. As such, it not only works with (and requires) Windows 95/NT 4.0, but it also adds new features not found in the version published by id Software.

ZDoom may be used and distributed free of charge. No profit may be made from the sale of it.

ZDoom was created by Randy Heit using id Software's and various others' sources.
http://zdoom.org/About

I only know 1 other person on theses forums that plays Doom and its ports.

Hello, Joey here, new here. Big doom fan and have been since I was a little whippersnapper and saw an imp turn into blood/organ giblets.
Any other doom fans on here? And if you are, do you like what you have seen on the reboot of doom?

I liked the e3 gameplay trailer Id software showed and the other promotional things they released as well. I do have a few gripes with it, though nothing major. When I look at the pacing, action, and weapon design I think it's great, especially next to any other generic shooter *insert generic shooter here*. So overall quality it seems like it shot for the moon and got there.

My real nitpick at this great game is actually the presentation - the washed out brown and gray color schemes. I know the games engine is supposed to show off this grand new lighting capability that they didn't have before in previous games, but doom is a game that doesn't shoot for realism obviously. A lot of things can look realistic about it, but like mortal kombat there is a lot of fantasy and things that can slide because it is an over the top kind of game, and both series are still doing very well creating over the top action and presentation. I'm not a person who wants a graphical upgrade of the same doom that the fans know and love; it's great that a series can try something new and do something better. Doom 3 for example was the most different incarnation of doom and yes, it was dramatically different from its predecessor, but not by that much. It became a action horror survivor spinoff of the speedy-all-hell-breaking-loose-guns-blazing doom original.
I can understand why it might not be some people's favorite in the series or why some people hate it, but to me it was a success of how far you can bend a series without snapping anything recognizable.

So I don't expect the new doom to be as bright and colorful as its predecessors but it would help if there was some contrast, that way I can enjoy being able to make out what monster is what and enjoy a design that a designer put in and see it explode into bright colorful deep red chunky bits. As opposed to being in a dark refinery or dookie brown hell with a yellow sky (I hope some skies are red) and shooting grayish humanoid blobs. You can still keep the same design of the new monsters and level layouts but mess with the lighting a bit to bring details out more. People want to enjoy the scenery they are in and want to see cool demonic set pieces; it's what the original doom was partly about. Unfortunately, it's impossible to do so if your scenery is somewhat forgettable because your brain can't make out anything that stands out or is identifiable other than bland scenery.
So I hope there are more levels in the game that do this problem justice.

A smaller nitpick is the highlight on a monster that is basically an indicator for if you want to perform a melee kill on them to finish them off. You shoot the monster and he might turn a bright color that basically says "hey, you can kill me." I don't mind that too much, but I hope there is a option to toggle that off. I can't stand when games basically think you're stupid and tell you when you should or could do something. I mean like things that you should already and will always know after playing the games no more than 5 minutes tops. Like giant words that say RELOAD when your gun goes out, press this button to duck, press this button to take cover, press this button to sprint, press no buttons to stand still. A lot of - but not all - fps are guilty of this gaming sin. We are not stupid, but thanks for assuming we are. So I'm grateful and glad none of that appeared during the demo and gameplay (although I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch). I really digged the simple HUD, something I loved about doom 3's weapon design was how they showed you the weapon count on the actual weapon I thought that was the coolest thing ever and I thought no other game did that better than D3. I'm also glad there is no regenerative health which I actually don't mind in some games. I don't have any comments on enemies dropping items because they did in the older games. It's in an entirely different way and reminds me of dead space. And I like the sound the game makes when you pick ammo/health up.

That's all I got as far as wishful thinking. I do hope they bring out the colors and have more contrast, tons of secrets, and new demonic enemies to add to the hell family tree.

Last edited:
As someone who has earned the Platinum trophy on the PS4 for this game, I can say a few things with certainty.

For starters, the gamma on this game, is awful. There were secrets that I was walking by repeatedly because it was just too dark in the game. I ended up curving it up to 1.3 to correct this issue, and it made the game look pretty damn good. You don't need darkness to make a game scary or intimidating.

The Chromatic Aberration and Motion Blur settings, are useless. Motion Blur makes it more difficult to track enemies while moving, and that's totally unnecessary unless you're a masochist. Chromatic Aberration is just flat out pointless; the game looks and feels better without it.

The rune system is neat, but we never had it before, so it felt out of place, as did the power-ups and weapon mods. While they were GREAT tools for each situation you may face, they were ultimately unnecessary. This isn't to say they weren't done well, because they were, but it didn't feel like Doom to me.

As for the weapons themselves, naturally the Combat Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Chainsaw and the BFG 9000 all felt fantastic. The rest, not so much. I struggled to find a use for the Chaingun outside of leveling the mods, as the Heavy Assault Rifle was just better and more accurate. Then again, if you max out the Super Shotgun, you need no other weapons ever again, for reasons I will let others figure out on their own.

The enemies felt right for the most part. My only real complaint was the Pinkies being incredibly difficult to deal with on the first play through. Those little bastards are downright nasty, and the geometry of the level design was not very conducive to getting the hell out of the way. Pretty sure I died a few times to a Pinky simply because I got stuck on a ramen noodle cup. The Cyberdemon fight was visceral and raw feeling, and I couldn't be happier about it. The Spider Mastermind on the other hand, lacked imagination. Compared to the Cyberdemon and Hell Guardians, he just felt like an anti-climactic end to the game.

The soundtrack was incredible, but the sound effects could be a little harsh on the ears, as they are just over-the-top loud. The prime example of this would be the first transmission you received from Pierce. The static at the end, on the first play, was so loud I ended up jumping out of my chair and ripping my headset off. I have hearing difficulty, and it was still loud.

Overall, the game is a solid, and I mean SOLID, 9/10, at least from a campaign standpoint alone.

The Cyberdemon fight was visceral and raw feeling, and I couldn't be happier about it. The Spider Mastermind on the other hand, lacked imagination. Compared to the Cyberdemon and Hell Guardians, he just felt like an anti-climactic end to the game.
Just like the original.

Just like the original.
The original is a more difficult to fight, and had the tendency to pop up in more places than the Tower of Babel. That noise it makes when it sees you is terrifying when you don't know where it came from.

The new Cyberdemon is much more fun to fight, with it's own challenges, but it lacks that gut-wrenching scream to make you crap your pants.

Ever played a terry trap? in DOOM.. well they are annoying and stupid, and they have dead memes and other racist stuff and swearing and offensive stuff.
Try a doom terry wad go watch Br0leg and aquarius199. they do bad terry wads.

Today's gonna be a topic of the worst Doom ports from the 3DO or the Atari Jaguar version.

The Jaguar version is just basically no music at all in the levels.

The infamous 3DO port with horrible framerate but good music

The SNES one is a banger but horrible framerate, but hey it's the Snes!

Sega Saturn version of doom is basically the PSX version but with horrible framerate.

then the GBA one which is the Jaguar version. horrible and bad watered down music and the worst of it all, the censorship of the enemies blood being green.

and an honorable mention is the BFG port for the PC when i tried to mod the enemies death sprites for example: Zombieman, it just crashes. oh and it has censored Medikits with red pills.

I combined all the Doom threads into one. If you’re wanting to talk all things Doom, this is the spot. :)

Back
Top Bottom