tModLoader TRAE Project

Made for 1.4 Tmodloader.

Introducing the Terraria Rebalanced and Expanded Project!

Made by certain Terraria fans who felt that 1.4 wasn't quite fitting to be the end of Terraria lifespan, this rather ambitious mod aims to fix all issues present in the vanilla game, balance or otherwise, and expand it where it currently feels lacking in content.

This mod's primary feature is all its changes to the vanilla game, but it is not at all exempt from having brand new content to explore!

So, what does TRAE have in store for you? Let's have a look:

Terraria Rebalanced
CLICK HERE for a detailed changelog.

Balance Changes
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
Featuring a list of changes over 50 pages (and growing!) in length, this mod makes a lot of changes to Weapons, Accessories, Armors, and more.

A lot of these are stat changes, BUT there is also a lot of items that have been noticeably changed from vanilla:

Some weapons have even changed mechanically:
AIxiTjU.gif

Even the oldest minions have received some much-needed love!
mTkRSLK.jpg

Summoner armors feel lacking in quantity? Say no more!
Pk0Wz6R.jpg
YuYGwKx.jpg

13fWusm.jpg
pK8zpRT.jpg

Some items have moved places...
20210816162835_1.jpg
3cX75jS.jpg

Which may make Summoner progression slightly different from what you remember.
VNoc0bV.jpg

There are really no limits for what this mod is willing to do for balancing.
NewDagger.gif

Defense
Fixing one of Terraria's Core mechanics.
You've probably heard numerous complaints about Terraria's defense, due to it being a very polarizing stat. To put it briefly: Against big damage numbers, defense doesn't do enough, against small ones defense does too much. As it stands in vanilla defense is an incredibly volatile stat, since 1 point of defense can be both a 1% and a 100% damage reduction depending on your setup.

Damage reduction items suffer from a similar issue. Since they all stack additively, it is much easier to block all damage, as all you'd have to do is equip enough items to make your Damage reduction 100% and never die again. The only reason why this isn't currently possible is simply the lack of enough items to enable it to be.

TRAE reworks defense to percentage-based instead of reducing damage by a flat number. The new formula for defense is now:

Damage taken = Damage * (Defense / (Defense + 80))

And additionally, Damage reduction items now stack multiplicatively with each other instead of additively.

The rest is all statistical adjustments on some armors and items to accommodate the new system, and a whole lot of number play to see if it's balanced.

Let's take a look at a pair of examples:

The difference with big damage numbers is like night and day, while small damage numbers don't get almost completely cancelled out anymore.
unknown.png

And here, the biggest benefit of the new system: It scales proportionately and in a clean way. A character with 204 defense, the maximum attainable in normal gameplay, is no longer completely indifferent to low/medium damage numbers before Damage Reduction even comes into play.
unknown.png

Magic Class
Overhauled with a completely different mana system.
Vanilla’s Mana has quite a few issues, to say the least. Mana regeneration mechanics are needlessly complicated, the class is extremely frustrating to play as unless you always have certain key items around you (whether Mana Regeneration Potions or Mana Potions) and, when examined throroughly, you will find that the mechanic is hardly impactful in the grand scheme of things.

Due to all these issues, TRAE overhauls the entire Magic class so that Mana is a much more significant and versatile stat than in vanilla.

The first and most important change was an overhaul to Mana Regeneration to make it much easier to understand:

By default, the character now regenerates 10% of their maximum mana every second, even while attacking. This means that, with enough maximum mana, weapons can attack indefinitely without ever needing to stop to recharge mana. With this in mind, the entire class’ arsenal has been rebalanced.

All Magic weapons are now divided in three categories based primarily on their mana drain: Light Weapons, Heavy Weapons, and Side Weapons.

Light weapons drain about 30 to 45 mana per second by default, meaning that just the mana economy from basic magic armor is more than enough to achieve full uptime on these weapons, with your regeneration being faster than their drain. Their DPS is comparable to a weapon of another class; sometimes lower and sometimes higher, depending on context.

Heavy weapons, as their name implies, have a heavy mana drain (65 mana per second and above). Achieving full uptime is impossible without lots of mana items. However, they are also stronger than the average weapon.

Side weapons consist of projectiles that linger for a short time after being casted, such as the Nimbus Rod or the Magnet Sphere. They are effectively passive sources of extra DPS, but their mana cost is extremely high. Using them effectively alongside Heavy weapons first requires a lot of mana economy investment, and in some cases even Light weapons can have trouble keeping up with them.

View attachment 344135
VYodWIw.jpg

This rebalance opens up many different playstyles for the magic class.

The most basic of them all is simply using Heavy weapons for a burst of damage and then switch to a Light weapon while mana is regenerating, or using Side weapons as a complement to your Light’s DPS.

But it doesn't end there:
  • Go all-in in mana economy items to utilize both Heavy and Side weapons as your primary sources of DPS;
  • Play as a mixed class and use non-magic weapons while mana recharges for a Heavy's burst;
  • Use the bare minimum mana equipment to sustain a Light weapon and invest your stats somewhere else
And more! Possibilities are endless, it’s up to you to find the most efficient option available.

Spears
Some much-needed love to some of the most forgettable weapons.
Ugly, old, and the majority underwhelming, Spears are not in a good state. TRAE went the extra mile to ensure Spears are no longer going to be forgotten.

First, their swing animation got redone. Spear are swung in a much more active manner, similarly to the Ghastly Glaive.

View attachment 344134

As well as looking a lot nicer, the swings now inflict invincibility frames on enemies based on their remaining swing time. In a layman's terms, Spears now benefit from melee speed in an intuitive manner. Additionally, Spears now benefit from melee Size modifiers, and can get the Legendary modifier.

pDQ1Bqo.jpg

But there is more: All spears now have the ability to be thrown!

0Twfah3.gif

By holding right click, you will hold the spear over your shoulder and charge up power. Once the charge is done, you will throw a spear with up to double base damage. Spears will have significantly less damage and velocity if thrown uncharged, with a thrown spear barely going anywhere, so you better time your throws right to get optimal DPS. The Feral Claws item removes this need for perfect timing and allows you to automatically throw spears as soon as they are fully charged.

Now with two attacks, Spears have a lot of room for more unique features!

View attachment 344139
0VSt8JI.jpg

And finally, some items have been reworked into spears due to already having a visual/mechanical similarity to them.
cXQZ9U4.jpg
FszpEl5.jpg

Freezing
They said it was impossible.
Too hard too code? Potentially unbalanceable? TRAE does it anyways. Ice weapons have gained the ability to freeze enemies!

You are probably concerned about the implications of this in balancing. After all, a frozen enemy is a harmless enemy, and you definitely should not be allowed to permastun whole miniboss enemies.
Well, now all enemies have a "Freeze Resistance" stat. This stat is automatically calculated based on the enemy's maximum HP (unaffected by difficulty), and will reduce the duration of the freeze by the respective amount. The exact formula is Freeze Resistance = Max HP / (Max HP + 3000)

This limits the effects of the freeze significantly on Strong enemies:
juBODve.gif

And it means you can freeze bosses, too...
umaWlkb.jpg

Bosses
Are you down for a more interesting challenge?
Almost all bosses will get a look into their fights, and have most of their unfair aspects or difficulty issues fixed to make them much more fun than ever. If you were disappointed with how Master Mode handled extra difficulty, you will probably be a big fan of what's in store for you.

Some bosses may even be completely different from what you remembered!
tqc7QDV.jpg

Unfortunately, this part is a very heavy WIP. Very few bosses have received any actual changes and most of those aren't as fleshed out as they should be, so you will have to wait to see the full extent of TRAE boss fights.

Player Movement
Putting those Hermes Boots to rest.
Have you ever found walking around before finding your first pair Hermes boots incredibly tedious? Have your wings felt sluggish without a Frog Leg? TRAE has taken a pair of measures to remove this overreliance on movement items:

First and foremost: The player's base movement speed has been increased from 15 mph to 20, a 33% increase. Jump Speed has also been increased by 20%. These two changes alone make moving around in the early game a lot more comfortable.

Second, a lot of mobility items have been changed to adjust them to these new speed. Some of these changes are made so that the player's speed with the item equipped remains practically the same as in vanilla, such as the Frog Leg going from a 48% increase to 28%.

Others are a bit more drastic...
CmKVsiW.jpg

This feature is currently in an experimental state, so expect further changes to be made soon as it is explored.
?????? ????? (Coming Soon)
? ??????????? ?????? ?????? ?? ??? ?????

Terraria Expanded

??? ??????? (Coming Soon)
?? ???????? ?? ? ??????? ??? ??????? ?????

New Accessories
Oh so many.
It is a fact that a lot of mods out there like combining loads of different accessories together. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but TRAE has the exact opposite approach: Instead of having a select few "super items", there are now loads of branching tinker paths for most accessories, each with their own advantages and disadvantages over another.

Let's look at a clear example: Running Boots now come of all shapes and sizes for all possible playstyles:
PTWA8uJ.jpg

You will probably have a lot of fun exploring the Tinkerer's Workshop now.
GfYghXs.jpg

This is also a great chance to give some love to forgettable accessories...

IpUUH77.jpg

... bring some rather obvious item combinations to light...
7Z18FL0.jpg

... as well as those that you could never see coming!
1FdL3YW.jpg

And of course, with a new mod comes brand new accessories.
eaw04gA.jpg

Dreadnautilus
More demonic than ever before.
Dreadnautilus has earned quite the reputation since 1.4 released, with some going so far as to call it the third unofficial boss added in the update. However despite having an imposing design, rather elaborate attacks and more attributes similar to a Event Boss', the game and Re-Logic still consider it to be a miniboss enemy.

TRAE does not. Dreadnautilus was overhauld into a fully fleshed out Boss Fight, with new drops, attacks, and more! Let's take a look into it.

Dreadnautilus got quite a number of tweaks to his fight. First, the fight has had its unfair and unfun aspects ironed out...
A2gOleW.jpg

... and then it got expanded in many other fun ways.
msDWvCi.jpg

Of course, with a new boss comes new loot. You've probably seen by now what the Sanguine Staff is capable of in vanilla Terraria, so it'd be unwise to underestimate any of these items!
js9gSLS.jpg

And the expansions don't end here; even outside the fight you will find noticeable changes! The Dreadnautilus now has its own summoning item dropped by Blood Eels and Hemogoblin Sharks (NOTE: it can still be fished up, so be careful!), and Bloody Tears now have an easily renewable (although expensive!) recipe.
lFTYuMR.jpg
I4B3Uv2.jpg

Both of these changes get rid of all the tedious and unfun grinding concerning Blood Moon Fishing, making the fight entirely a test of skill between you and Dreadnautilus.

But if you think it will be easy, you are dead wrong!
dRQWFvG.jpg
z5st8Kp.jpg

??? ?????????? (Coming Soon)
? ?????? ????????? ??? ??? ????????

???? ?????? (Coming Soon)
???? ??? ??????? ??? ????? ?? ??? ?????? ?? ? ??? ??? ?????

Flamethrowers
Gotta light them up again.
Flamethrowers have a sad time in Vanilla. With a only two relatively underperforming weapons throughout the whole game, an ammunition type that is tedious to amass and a rather plain design they are almost always ignored in favour of other weapons.

TRAE now expands upon flamethrowers, giving them relevance throughout the whole game and some fun ammo variety.

There are now 10 different Gel types to choose from, counting the default gel, all spread throughout the entire game keeping Flamethrowers up to date in power and uniqueness.
0000-0240.gif

If you've read up the changelogs already, you may have also seen that the Flamethrower is now made with just a Slime Gun, meaning that they are accessible all the way from the beginning of the game now. So what's the catch? Simple:

There are only three flamethrower weapons in the entire game.

It will take a long while for you to get your newer, more powerful flamethrower, so you better get a good grip on the new gel types, because you will need to in order to get the most out of them.

??????? ???????? (Coming Soon)
???? ??? ???? ????????? ????????? ??? ????? ????

??? ??????? ?????????? (Coming Soon)
????? ???? ????? ??? ?? ??????

??? ?????????? (Coming Soon)
?????? ???? ?????? ???? ??????

Discord Server: Join the TRAE Hangouts Discord Server!
Credits
qwerty3.14 = Main coder, basically coded half the mod.
Bry#7117 = Made most Sprites, inspiration for Shadowflame Charm and Rune Cobra.
whoneedsnamestbh: Inspiration for Dreadnautilus' boss fight and drops.
Angry Nimbus, Coleyohley, Cazmatism: Playtesting, Clip recording, general feedback.
Amazing! I'm looking forward to the mod's future. :D
Seriously, this is mind-blowing.

Please change how you describe this mod, because it's overstepping the boundaries of just "Rebalanced and Expanded" and I foresee many more complaints from people who were unintentionally mislead.

Most things get positive buffs and reworks that makes it all so much better except for Terraspark boots which get completely destroyed for an idea of balance that feels more like what ReLogic tried to do with torches, to me it just doesn't make any sense.

People love Terraspark boots because no one likes having to constantly switch out accessories for different situations, so with this change there is no longer a reason to use them, because once again just like 1.3 the speed of the boots is separated from the water walking and lava immunity of the lava warders.
I can just ride a mount for a similar if not better effect, ninja gear gives me the dash and a chance to dodge damage, and then there's wings which already give flight and slowfall.

What I'm getting at here is that all this change does is turn a really good item into an inferior version of two other items that most people already use, and I only say "most people" because some people don't always use ninja gear when they're looking for that sweet dodge chance, they go for the confusion brain instead.
Maybe you're the kind of person who really loves switching out accessories constantly, and honestly I'm fine with that, but this change is just completely out of place here.

I was going to keep using it since to my knowledge at that moment it only made the boots irrelevant, but when I went to make myself an obsidian skull to mine some meteorite with, I noticed that for no reason fire block immunity was removed from the item in favor of 10% damage to enemies close to you.

I'll admit I was a bit harsh with my first draft of this post, I've edited it to be more respectful and better explain why I am offended. I was mislead by the name of the mod, which is why I suggest changing it slightly or at least better describing it.

Last edited:
Please change how you describe this mod, because it's overstepping the boundaries of just "Rebalanced and Expanded" and I foresee many more complaints from people who were unintentionally mislead.

Most things get positive buffs and reworks that makes it all so much better except for Terraspark boots which get completely destroyed for some twisted idea of balance that feels more like what ReLogic tried to do with torches, it just doesn't make any sense.

People love Terraspark boots because no one likes having to constantly switch out accessories for different situations, so with this change there is no longer a reason to use them, because once again just like 1.3 the speed of the boots is separated from the water walking and lava immunity of the lava warders.
I can just ride a mount for a similar if not better effect, ninja gear gives me the dash and a chance to dodge damage, and then there's wings which already give flight and slowfall.

What I'm getting at here is that all this change does is turn a really good item into an inferior version of two other items that most people already use, and I only say "most people" because some people don't always use ninja gear when they're looking for that sweet dodge chance, they go for the confusion brain instead.
Maybe you're the kind of person who really loves switching out accessories constantly, and honestly I'm fine with that, but this change is just completely out of place here.

I was going to keep using it since to my knowledge at that moment it only made the boots irrelevant, but when I went to make myself an obsidian skull to mine some meteorite with, I noticed that for no reason fire block immunity was removed from the item in favor of 10% damage to enemies close to you.
I believe the idea is that Terraspark turns into a set of strong mobiiity boosts that fits the “Terraspark” title more, rather than a set of QoL boots. Terraspark’s very nice to have but way too much effort for its convenience, as I and a lot of other people see it, and its reflects are fairly replaceable by potions. The goal was to make Terraspark more of a “Terra” item instead, which I honestly like better.

It does look like you can still get the water walking + lava immunity effects from Lava Waders, which were also made cheaper, if you wish.

I believe the idea is that Terraspark turns into a set of strong mobiiity boosts that fits the “Terraspark” title more, rather than a set of QoL boots. Terraspark’s very nice to have but way too much effort for its convenience, as I and a lot of other people see it, and its reflects are fairly replaceable by potions. The goal was to make Terraspark more of a “Terra” item instead, which I honestly like better.

It does look like you can still get the water walking + lava immunity effects from Lava Waders, which were also made cheaper, if you wish.
Yes I see how some people would like that, but I was drawn into this mod by the changes to mana and armor, not expecting such drastic changes to other things like Terraspark boots and the Obsidian Skull.

However I firmly stand by my opinion that this change in its current state makes the boots into an inferior version of two other items that most people like to use, perhaps they could be made more unique in the future with some feature that isn't purely QoL.

Last edited:
To chime in on that discussion, I think it would be a good idea to make some key features of this mod configurable. It covers a broad spectrum of gameplay and item mechanics, and not all changes will be well received by everyone (very much apparently), so this would help to provide as many people as possible with their desired Terraria experience. Don't be afraid to allow seemingly broken/overpowered combos like the new magic system but not the new magic weapon stats, some folks just like to play that way. Personally, I'd like to be the value in your Defense calculation (currently 80) to be adjustable to personal preference.

That having been said, I currently have a lot of fun with this mod and I'm eager to see what you are going to do with it in the future.

I dont understand what this means, the mod does rebalance and expand upon the Vanilla game. Does that stop being true if not every change is well received?

Most mounts are static movement which can't be further enhanced by other mobility items (and while it is true that some mounts are better than dedicated mobility builds, thats a whole other can of worms). Master Ninja Gear gives you the same dash, but it doesnt give you the improved running speed nor the minor flight time boost. Wings are not mutually exclusive with dashes nor boots and can be used together for even better mobility.

There is no "worse version of another item" here. They all have their own niches. Not to mention that if the Terraspark boots arent as good as MNG, then they can just be buffed to the level of MNG.
I noticed that for no reason fire block immunity was removed from the item in favor of 10% damage to enemies close to you.
Burning, and using the Obsidian Skull to counter it is imo a really archaic mechanic. It applies to literally 3 blocks in the entire game, and there are many ways to work around it (Obsidian skin potion, building on top of it or literally just mining from a safe distance). I didnt think people would really care that much if it was straight up removed... i'll wait for more feedback to see if people miss Obsidian Skull so much

What I'm getting at here is that all this change does is turn a really good item into an inferior version of two other items
Vanilla Lava Waders (and by extension Terraspark boots) are an inferior version of two very common potions that you need like 2 times in a normal run.

TRAE Terraspark Boots are an alternative to Master Ninja Gear that trade 10% dodge chance for 50% movement speed and a minor flight time boost for wings. Honestly hen I put it this way it sounds like they are straight up better than MNG.

To chime in on that discussion, I think it would be a good idea to make some key features of this mod configurable. It covers a broad spectrum of gameplay and item mechanics, and not all changes will be well received by everyone (very much apparently), so this would help to provide as many people as possible with their desired Terraria experience.
Toggles dont fix anything.

If someone doesnt like a change, they wont be ok with it just because you have to option to turn it off.

If the majority doesnt like a change, and has good arguments against it, then the problem is the change in question, not that there isnt a way to turn it off.

If a minority doesnt like a change... well they either change my mind on it or they will just have to get used to it. Can't please everyone.

Don't be afraid to allow seemingly broken/overpowered combos like the new magic system but not the new magic weapon stats, some folks just like to play that way. Personally, I'd like to be the value in your Defense calculation (currently 80) to be adjustable to personal preference.
I mean sure, i cant deny that some people would like to :red: around with what's effectively infinite mana or a super unbalanced defense system, but sadly thats not what this mod is for.

Last edited:
I dont understand what this means, the mod does rebalance and expand upon the Vanilla game. Does that stop being true if not every change is well received?
Let me clarify, rebalanced and expanded implies that any vanilla content affected is still the same at its core, this mod is actually an overhaul because it changes those core functions in addition to rebalancing and expanding upon others.

Yes. I love this mod so much that i decided to make a terraria forums account just so i can post about it. THERE'S SO MANY LITTLE THINGS THAT JUST MAKES THE GAME SO ENJOYABLE!
Say i pick up some random weapons. In normal terraria, i would just throw it out because i have 1300 hours of terraria experence telling me to do so, but TRAE project overrides that. I pick up any weapon and i'm always exited to see if there's a cool rework or addition. Say the Shroomerang. I pick a shroomerang up, and use it one time, and i notice that spinny mushrooms are coming out. When you have something bland and turn it into something unique, it makes the experience so much better. I've been using the shroomerang for a little while now. (I just finished Skeletron with only the Shroomerang on expert mode) and I'm pretty exited to try the spears next. There's so much slightly new content it's like i'm playing 1.4 for the first time again.

So I love a LOT of changes from this mod so far. However I do have two immediate issues with it.

Bomb pixies and exploding frogs are FAR too dangerous for being pre-hm type enemies and they only get WORSE in hardmode because they just create massive explosions everywhere that ignoring them and their projectiles entirely is a far better idea then trying to kill them. This is especially true as melee who all but will explode from any of it so their explosion size needs to be toned down considerably.

The other issue I'm having is...well tbh I'm not sure why but the Fire Gauntlet seems to inflict fire damage on everything on the screen and sometimes OFF the screen...and I mean EVERYTHING. One single night against the solar eclipse robbed me of almost all my npcs purely because the fire gauntlet procced fire damage on them all eventually killing them even while I was on the entire otherside of the world.

im looking into making boomxies less cheap, haven't decided on what to fix about them

that fire gauntlet is definitely a bug, probably something caused in a recent tmod update

im looking into making boomxies less cheap, haven't decided on what to fix about them

that fire gauntlet is definitely a bug, probably something caused in a recent tmod update
My personal suggestion would be to make them either not fire out projectiles or drastically reduce the size of the explosions from them. The adds they spawned along with the pixies themselves just fire massive explosions in tiny packages which makes fighting them difficult.

Also yeah not sure on the bug tbh. I reported it because I figured it definitely wasn't intentional to just deal 11 damage to any entity that exists.

My personal suggestion would be to make them either not fire out projectiles or drastically reduce the size of the explosions from them. The adds they spawned along with the pixies themselves just fire massive explosions in tiny packages which makes fighting them difficult.
The explosions are a part of their design, you are not supposed to just swing your pickaxe and block all the fireballs while mining hellstone.

I think i'll make them more spammy and see if that fixes their problems

The explosions are a part of their design, you are not supposed to just swing your pickaxe and block all the fireballs while mining hellstone.

I think i'll make them more spammy and see if that fixes their problems
Even if it is the explosion radius is just too large. It's bigger then dynamite and with how many they shoot as a melee you will likely just die.

Even if it is the explosion radius is just too large. It's bigger then dynamite and with how many they shoot as a melee you will likely just die.
If you're melee then you need to avoid them, not try to hit them. I don't see the issue here, really. The explosion radius is big to prevent you from mindlessly dismissing them while you're doing other things. And you can always simply just choose not to destroy them and get out of the way if they get too close.

If you're melee then you need to avoid them, not try to hit them. I don't see the issue here, really. The explosion radius is big to prevent you from mindlessly dismissing them while you're doing other things. And you can always simply just choose not to destroy them and get out of the way if they get too close.
That...just isn't possible. They spawn fairly frequently and they're constantly yeeting projectiles at you. If you're not fighting them then you're having to dodge them while fighting other things. That's just not a fun enemy to deal with when you've also got everything else in hell and even more so if more then one spawns.

That...just isn't possible. They spawn fairly frequently and they're constantly yeeting projectiles at you. If you're not fighting them then you're having to dodge them while fighting other things. That's just not a fun enemy to deal with when you've also got everything else in hell and even more so if more than one spawns.
How is it impossible? Just move out of their path. These attacks are now essentially just a normal projectile that you avoid the same way you avoid most other enemy projectiles: by geting out of the way. Worth noting is that unlike these other projectiles, you can safely destroy them with a ranged weapon.

Edit: Looking back, an enemy that requires this much attention does probably need to be on its own. If I were to fix them, I'd either tone down their firerate to be more manageable when other enemies are nearby or make them unable to attack through walls so they're not camping you out inside of buildings or behind cover.

Last edited:
Spear throwing is broken in multiplayer right now. It works as far as I can tell, but the visuals are completely busted. Not sure if its an api problem.

Back
Top Bottom