PC "Found Server" to "Lost Connection" issue vanilla multiplayer

InputOrion

Terrarian
Whenever I try to join my friends' servers, after inputting the password I get stuck on "Found Server" which eventually times out to "Lost Connection". This also happens to them when I try and host.
List of things I've tried:
- Verified Integrity of Game Files (Always told me that there's one thing that will be fixed however this also happened to my friend whose multiplayer works just fine)
- Uninstalled Bluestacks
- Checked usage of port 7777
- Deleted everything to do with the game and reinstalled.

If anybody can give me anything else to try it would be much appreciated.

you and your friend are probably not opening the port correctly
you can look up port forwarding and set that up for port 7777

We're using join via Steam, we both have the steam version of the game. My other friends can join each other just fine, only I am having this issue.

I have the same issue. Things that I've verified:
- vanilla Terraria (unmodded), same version on server and client machine
- I want to play a local LAN game only between two machines, no WAN server, no Steam
- IP addresses are correct
- port 7777 available
- on one instance I start multiplayer > host game
- I can verify that port 7777 is open and there's a process listening for connections
- I can make a connection perfectly using netcat from the client machine (conclusion: no network issues)
- Terraria client sees the server, connects, it says "Found Server" and then hangs. Eventually says "Lost Connection"

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've tested this on a Linux using wine (has lot more sophisticated network diagnostic tools). I can say the following:
1. when I select multiplayer > host, the server starts listening for connections for a moment
2. the client (on the same machine) connects to 127.0.0.1:7777, and "Found Server" message is displayed
3. as soon as that happens, the server silently crashes, and client's connection goes to TCP teardown
4. netstat output at this point (note, there's no "LISTEN" entry any more):
$ netstat -natlp | grep 7777
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:7777 127.0.0.1:50304 FIN_WAIT2
tcp 1 0 127.0.0.1:50304 127.0.0.1:7777 CLOSE_WAIT 1599091/wineserver
5. when TCP timeout happens, and these entries are removed from the kernel's TCP session table, then "Lost Connection" appears

This is definitely a bug in Terraria itself, and not some firewall / network setup / whatever issue. The only question is, what triggers the bug, so that it only happens on certain configurations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom