Terraria State of the Game - July 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I don't believe think we were ever aiming "to create a bigger update than intended". This update IS actually already far larger than the intention originally was, the scope has grown tremendously.
One of the things I struggled with for a while, was building up excitement for every newer update past 1.4.

1.4 seemed to add a bunch of new features that I'd severely miss anytime I went back to an older version of the game [one of the many reasons I couldn't finish Calamity].
  1. Automatic Doors
  2. Blockswapping
  3. Township/ Homestead Mechanics.
  4. Windy day theme and effects.
  5. Special Seeds
  6. pre-Hardmode content
  7. Refined and improved already-existing-mechanics.
  8. New progression paths methods [upgrading items etc].
  9. Improvements to older Biomes and locations.
  10. Overall quality of life improvements.
I've honestly lost tracks of what's in the game as-of-right-now, but none of the newer updates have felt anywhere as exciting or impactful. Though I can't say I still feel this way today, I'm still struggling to see why such a huge update is anywhere near as necessary.
  1. The new Void Bag is a cool addition, but I wouldn't call it HUGE.
  2. The changes to Buff Stations [to include War Table] are all very cool, I'm looking forward to these!
  3. The new Slime Pets are a welcome addition, and this is where my bias is showing, because they aren't particularly "necessary additions" either. 😏 🤷‍♂️
  4. The Wolf Transformation Charm is... ok I guess. Mounts are already pretty powerful right now, so I'm wondering where in progression this item would make sense.
  5. The new Quality of Life Additions, like speeding up the OOA Event, I could take or leave... though I know Chippy is hyped!
  6. Though I'm likely missing a bunch of stuff like the "Echo Monolith", nothing quite grabs me like Terraria Golf or The New Blood Moon mechanics did.
I'm sure the newer updates will be great, but it's weird feeling excited for just "me" and not "everyone" for once. I'm looking forward to more fights feeling closer to the OOA while using Sentries [which honestly feels like Automatic Doors and Blockswap does today], but not much else is grabbing my attention... well, except for the Slime Pets of course! 😅💁‍♂️

In my personal assessment (which I've been doing a lot lately in my free time), we are a fair bit away from an actual 1.5 size update. It would take more than a boss + boss drops to get us there, its not a case where we are close enough to nudge it over the line.

Though I don't believe think we were ever aiming "to create a bigger update than intended". This update IS actually already far larger than the intention originally was, the scope has grown tremendously.

ah, i was just wondering cause back when the MH tweet was made, i could've sworn they said that it was the only thing needed to push it into 1.5 territory.

still, i think a dead cells crossover could be much more interesting. :dryadtongue:

I know im not getting anywhere on here but can someone share this to twitter please

Would it be possible to add commands to console edition instead of being restricted to only pc

On the Void Bag - Why not put this functionality on the Money Trough and Eye Bone? Since they don't automatically pick up spare items, that seems the logical place to carry things you want to use like this, and free up space in the Void Bag for it's main function.

Pc edition seems to be the only edition that can support such high powered servers to run commands
Alright i thought it would have been fun to spawn more bosses then the limitations allow this is cos i recently saw a video and it just looked quite strange to be honest but it was funny so

ah, i was just wondering cause back when the MH tweet was made, i could've sworn they said that it was the only thing needed to push it into 1.5 territory.

still, i think a dead cells crossover could be much more interesting. :dryadtongue:

In truth, I do think Red or Cenx said that, but there has been different opinions internally about what determines a 1.X update. As I said, I've been doing a lot of analyzing of this lately!

I've been trying to analyze it carefully by comparison to the scale/size of all previous 1.X and 1.X.X updates, rather than just eyeballing it as "big and fun update".

We are very excited, and I love 1.4.4 as much (or more?!) as anyone, but I don't want that excitement to bias me and result in me claiming it is something its not. The moment it begins reaching that 1.5 threshold, I'll change my tune in an instant. In the mean time, I don't want to falsely advertise/elevate the size of the update and mislead players into believing the update will be on the content/change scale of an update like 1.4.

Will 1.4.4 be the greatest 1.X.X update? Possibly. 1.2.4 is a really strong contender in terms of size/additions, so it has that to go up against. But a 1.5? I don't think so. :)

Leinfors explained this earlier so here’s a quote from the post

Opened Terraria to check it, just in case I'd missed something obvious all this time. You cannot favourite things in your Piggy Bank. I assume you meant in 1.4.4, but have they implied that you'll be able to favourite things in any storage space other than the Void Storage?
The post I was responding to made it sound like the piggy bank itself (the item) was moving around their main inventory, which is what I was advising them on.

The post I was responding to made it sound like the piggy bank itself (the item) was moving around their main inventory, which is what I was advising them on.
They said coins in the post so yeah they were talking about the coins going all over the inventory is what I read

I don’t know. Dead cells doesn’t really fit terraria.

they both have eldritch abomination bosses, crazy weapons, nightmarish worlds...

i think it's more fitting than monster hunter, honestly.

i mean, dead cells has crossed over with blasphemous, hollow knight, hyper light drifter, skul the hero slayer, curse of the dead gods, guacamelee, and now soul knight.

they're clearly open to crossovers, and i think both games could do something very interesting with each other.

still, with the update being close to finishing up, i won't be getting my hopes up for any crossovers at this point.

anyway, i'm plenty happy with the news i saw on chippy's channel today.

the jungle is FINALLY protected from being destroyed... YES!

after so many years of crying out for the jungle to be spared from destruction, we finally have corrupt/crimson jungles! :dryadhappy:

they both have eldritch abomination bosses, crazy weapons, nightmarish worlds...

i think it's more fitting than monster hunter, honestly.

i mean, dead cells has crossed over with blasphemous, hollow knight, hyper light drifter, skul the hero slayer, curse of the dead gods, guacamelee, and now soul knight.

they're clearly open to crossovers, and i think both games could do something very interesting with each other.

still, with the update being close to finishing up, i won't be getting my hopes up for any crossovers at this point.

anyway, i'm plenty happy with the news i saw on chippy's channel today.

the jungle is FINALLY protected from being destroyed... YES!

after so many years of crying out for the jungle to be spared from destruction, we finally have corrupt/crimson jungles! :dryadhappy:
why pressure relogic to do a crossover they might not want to do?

Impossible, everything can fit Terraria. It's a complete kitchen-sink sandbox where you can be fight sword-and-sorcery goblins one day and little green martians the next.
I wouldn't say everything fits... but you do make a valid point!

I just personally believe that the game benefits greatly from crossovers that actually make sense. One of my personal favorites is the "Dungeon Defenders II Crossover"; the features it brings to the table are quirky elements Terraria was "missing", Specialized Sentries and Tower Defense Mechanics being great examples of this...

...can't forget about the Yoyo Crossover with "One Drop"!

So, fun story: I decided to make my ocean town into an underwater base, built into the hardened sand above the sea cave, reached only by a moonpool. It's a nice concept I thought but every time the traveling merchant comes to visit the NPCs there, he drowns. It's fine when he visits another town, though. But perhaps the traveling merchant AI could have a check to prevent him from spawning underwater or to teleport to the nearest NPC house spot when he does spawn underwater? Especially if he's far from the player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom