Mac Constant Crashes

CallMeTheo

Terrarian
To whom is reading this,

Hello there, my name is Theo.

I have been introduced by a problem, constant crashes.

These crashes are very common, I had about 7 in 10 minutes!

These are random, according to my knowledge, but not always. I usually crash a lot while fighting bosses. In a two player world, legit, no mods, no plugins.

What really bothers be is that I have to leave and join again to save my player data, it's super anoying, because player data doesn't save on crashes!

Forgot to mention this, every time I press "Cntl + V" (paste) I seem to crash, implemented into the thread as well.

EDIT: I REALIZED THAT THIS HAPPENS WHEN FIGHTING MOBS OR BOSSES. I AM ALSO IN MULTIPLAYER.

I hope this problem will come to an end, soon.

Thanks for reading,

Theo.

Last edited:
If you're playing the beta for Mac, it's a beta so it's got bugs. Please join the beta group and report on them there. Here's a link.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...c-linux-open-beta-testing-feedback-group.690/

You'll need to request permission to join. There's a button for that, I think at the URL above.

On "random" bugs: if it's really random there's no way for a developer to find how to fix it. Truly random crashes are rare. There's a cause somewhere. If you can figure out how to reproduce the crash, write down the "recipe" and report that.

When developers can make a bug occur on their machines, they can form a strategy for fixing it. Without directions for reproducing a bug it's awfully hard to figure which lines, out of tens or hundreds of thousands of lines of code, might harbor the error.

If you're playing the beta for Mac, it's a beta so it's got bugs. Please join the beta group and report on them there. Here's a link.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...c-linux-open-beta-testing-feedback-group.690/

You'll need to request permission to join. There's a button for that, I think at the URL above.

On "random" bugs: if it's really random there's no way for a developer to find how to fix it. Truly random crashes are rare. There's a cause somewhere. If you can figure out how to reproduce the crash, write down the "recipe" and report that.

When developers can make a bug occur on their machines, they can form a strategy for fixing it. Without directions for reproducing a bug it's awfully hard to figure which lines, out of tens or hundreds of thousands of lines of code, might harbor the error.
I did think I could, but I do not have permission to post a thread there, so I really wasn't sure where to publish this thread. Also, i'm starting to realize that the bug is happening when in a battle with bosses and mobs.

There should be some kind of button or link that lets you send a message asking for permission. It's an open beta, you just need to ask for access to the discussion group.

You've already done part of the work of narrowing down what is (or could be) causing the crashes. The more you can refine that, the better. Other testers might be having similar problems. If so you can gang up on the bug. :dryadsmile:

There should be some kind of button or link that lets you send a message asking for permission. It's an open beta, you just need to ask for access to the discussion group.

You've already done part of the work of narrowing down what is (or could be) causing the crashes. The more you can refine that, the better. Other testers might be having similar problems. If so you can gang up on the bug. :dryadsmile:
Thanks for the reply, your reply has a lot of information for me. Thank you so much. Also, will developers see this bug if there's like only about 5 posts?

You're quite welcome.

Here's what I know or can guess about the bug reporting and fixing process. I'm an ordinary customer and an okay-but-not-great player, not part of the Re-Logic development team. But I am a programmer and content producer (non-game software), and I've been on both sides of the beta-testing exercise — software maker and software tester. There might be some mistakes in what I write below, but I think it's about right.

A member of the staff writes "tickets" for bugs that are reported in the beta sub-forum. The tickets are given to the developers. Some are high priority, some are lower. In other beta tests I've been involved with priorities are assigned based on how serious the problem is, how many people report it, whether the bug can be reproduced, and probably other factors that I don't know about.

When I find a bug, I search the beta forum for threads and posts mentioning that problem or similar ones. If none exists I start a new thread. Any information that might help the developers to reproduce a bug is welcome. A step-by-step "recipe" is ideal!

Other material you might be asked to upload or link to include your hardware and software configuration (computer and operating system), screenshots, error messages, crash log files, or world and player save files.

It will be helpful to know your way around the Mac filesystem. If you can do things on the command line using Terminal, even better.

Hope this helps! Good luck and happy testing.

You're quite welcome.

Here's what I know or can guess about the bug reporting and fixing process. I'm an ordinary customer and an okay-but-not-great player, not part of the Re-Logic development team. But I am a programmer and content producer (non-game software), and I've been on both sides of the beta-testing exercise — software maker and software tester. There might be some mistakes in what I write below, but I think it's about right.

A member of the staff writes "tickets" for bugs that are reported in the beta sub-forum. The tickets are given to the developers. Some are high priority, some are lower. In other beta tests I've been involved with priorities are assigned based on how serious the problem is, how many people report it, whether the bug can be reproduced, and probably other factors that I don't know about.

When I find a bug, I search the beta forum for threads and posts mentioning that problem or similar ones. If none exists I start a new thread. Any information that might help the developers to reproduce a bug is welcome. A step-by-step "recipe" is ideal!

Other material you might be asked to upload or link to include your hardware and software configuration (computer and operating system), screenshots, error messages, crash log files, or world and player save files.

It will be helpful to know your way around the Mac filesystem. If you can do things on the command line using Terminal, even better.

Hope this helps! Good luck and happy testing.
Thank you, this bug has really gotten in my way of playing and having fun.

That's odd. Since you can reproduce it easily it's a good thing to report.

You definitely should join the beta group and post a thread about your experiences, see if anyone else is seeing similar problems or maybe find how to fix it if the bug isn't in Terraria.

Thank you for the tips. I will join that group, due to me finding out how to join it. I will review past threads to make sure i'm not saying anything again.

Thank you so much.

i am having the same problem it crashes when near large mobs or bosses and don't know how to fix it also mostly happens on multiplayer

Back
Top Bottom