Game Mechanics NPC Happiness Meters!

What do you think about this idea/suggestion?

• This is an AMAZING IDEA! Red should put this in the game!

• Great idea!

• Meh, it's okay. I've seen better.

• Yo, this is pretty bad. (Please explain)

• WURST IDEA EVAR (Please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheBilateralGamer

Spazmatism
NOTE: This is my first suggestion. I just randomly thought of this idea last night. Please don't criticize me too harshly!

"Hmm... You know... Terraria's NPCs need more 'risk and reward' types of deals... I got it!"

Say hello to...
THE HAPPINESS METER!

You may be asking yourself, "DarkAwesome, what the heck is a happiness meter? How does it affect my Terrarian experience?" Well let me tell ya... I think it's pretty cool.
Basically, a Happiness Meter shows how happy (or sad) your townsfolk are! This meter will be seen below an NPC's 'housing banner/icon', as shown here:
DeR1QTk.png

So, how does an NPC's happiness affect you, the player? Well... let me show you.

So far, I've shown you what the Happiness Meter was. Now it's time to show you what it does AND how to maintain your people's happiness.

What does it do?
The HM (happiness meter) does something good if it's high, and something pretty bad if it's low. If someone's HM is high, they'll give you discounts on what they're selling. (If the Guide is happy, the Wall of Flesh will have a bit less health. If the Tax Collector is happy, he'll give you more money.) If someone's HM is low though, they will do the opposite. If someone's HM is REALLY LOW, then they might actually LEAVE. (They start getting this angry if the meter is only 15% full. If someone's meter is at 15%, they'll have a 10% chance to leave at 5:00 a.m. everyday (ingame time). If someone's meter is at 0%, they'll have a 50% chance to leave.)

What effects the HM?
There are quite a few things that can affect someone's HM. These are ALL OF THEM!:

Decoration!

Of course, no one really likes having a house with only a table and chair. You need to DECORATE to make them happy! (If you add no decorations to someone's house, the person won't become happier over time. If you add 1 or 2 decorations, they'll get 1% happier every ingame hour. If you add at least 3 decorations, then they'll get 2% happier every hour.)
Monsters/Getting hurt!
Of course, someone who gets hurt generally becomes sadder for a while. That means that for every 5 damage an NPC receives, they'll get 1-2% sadder. But don't worry! If an NPC kills a monster, they'll become relieved, meaning they get 3-4% happier!
Invasions!

Are you worried that a goblin invasion will just completely destroy your people's happiness? Not to worry! Your people will obviously know what's going on, so during any invasion, when they get damaged, they're 'sadness percent' will be cut into fourths! (For example, if someone gets hit for 20 damage, they'll only get 2% sadder.) Not only that, but when an invasion ends, everyone will be so relieved that they'll get 20% happier! (This only affects the NPCs that got hurt by the invasion. You can't just put your NPCs halfway across the world so you can farm some happiness for them.)
And finally, HARDMODE!
You may also be worried about how much damage Hardmode enemies do to NPCs. Yet again, there's no need to be worried! I have a rule for that as well! Once your world enters Hardmode, if an NPC gets damaged, their 'sadness percent' will be cut into SIXTHS! (For example, if you're in Hardmode and an NPC gets hurt for 30 damage, they'll only get 2% sadder. That means that during an invasion, if an NPC gets hurt for 30 damage, they'll only get .5% sadder!)

Well, that about does it. My Happiness Meter suggestion is now finished! Please comment what you think about this idea/suggestion. You can say something like "This is absolutely horrible because ..." or "This is awesome!" Thank you for reading!

(By @DemonSword): NPCs will say new phrases depending on their happiness meter. (For example, if the Nurse is angry, she might say, "Looks like the 'hero' got hurt... Again.")
(By @DemonSword): The Party Girl will never leave as long as she has a disco ball in her room.
(By @felis): NPCs hurt by traps you set get 6 times as sad.
(By @00Banshee00): NPCs get a bit happier if you spend at least 1 Gold Coin on their items they sell.
(By @Tulula): If an NPC dies, all NPCs become sadder.
(By @Minh): If you have a Party Girl, other NPC's happiness will go down slower. Because parties.
(By my best friend): NPCs will look different depending on their HM. (Some NPCs may just look darker. (That's not racist, I meant a dark shade.) Others may look completely different. (The Cyborg could have red lights instead of cyan when angry.))
(By @AaroSA): NPCs that are hinted to be in love (goblin tinkerer and mechanic, arms dealer and nurse) could have their happiness be decreased a bit more when one dies. (Arms dealer loses happiness whenever any female npc dies.)
(Another one by @Minh): If Tax collector's present, other NPC's happiness will go up slower. I'm sure that no one likes to have people smashing down your door just to pay taxes.
(By @5raptorboy):What about certain NPCs won't leave according to some reason? Such as, if the goblin tinkerer and the mechanic are both there, neither will leave.

(By @Gotcha!) (This one is frickin' long.) I like the idea but I seriously dislike the leaving part. Some npc's are rather needed, like the magician with his mana potions or the gunner with his ammunition. It'd be very annoying to see them leave while you're out of mana/ammo. I'd rather see them making their items more expensive if they're unhappy, like you said.
Also, at the start of the game you haven't got the means to properly decorate a house, so any npc's that'd come over would also leave again.

As you mentioned, if they're happy then items could be cheaper. If they're very happy have them sell special items? Anice bonus for people who take the effort in making a nice house. Perhaps have certain npc's sell their own outfits and weapons, like the painter's gun or the stylist's scissors.
The nurse's price would vary depending on her happiness, but perhapsprovide buffs too past a certain happiness point.
The guide... I don't like the wall of flesh relation. I doubt the guide would be able to influence the wall of flesh' strength. It's not like he owns that thing down in hell, as far as I know. Perhaps just leave his happiness as always happy. Afterall, he's not seeking you out when you have a roof available; he's right there from day one. Perhaps he should just be the one stable npc who's with you all the way (well, until you sacrifice him anyway x).

I have an idea: If you have a Party Girl, other NPC's happiness will go down slower. Because parties.

Except that not every npc is the same. Would the grouchy tax collector be interested in parties? Or the way too serious dryad? Or the reservedclothier?

You bring up an idea though. This makes me think how DarkAwesome could expand this idea with having certain npc's lose or gain happiness if they live near eachother. You'd have to keep them on separate floors.
Like how the mechanic and goblin would be very happy to live on the same floor since they obviously like eachother, but the dryad would absolutely hate seeing that perverted arms dealer walking around in her house. Meanwhile the arms dealer would be happy, since he's a perv.
Every npc would hate the annoying angler kid and pirate, except for the cyborg which would be immune to the angler's annoying comments and the pirate :red:ting on the floor.
The dye trader would feel at home with the painter, both liking colours and both probably needing eachother's services once in a while.
Dryad would like Truffle, both having a nature background and based on her dialogue.
Arms dealer and Demo dwarf would hate eachother, due to their competitiveness, also based on their dialogue.
The Witch Doctor would either be happy with the Magician next door due to learning a thing or two from him (and vice versa) or they could also dislike eachother due to competitiveness, although I think the Magician is the type that never gets angry over anything. And so on.

My reply: Yeah, others have said that they don't like the leaving part as well. How about this: If they're happiness is all the way down, then they won't sell you some stuff they have. For example, if the Arms Dealer is really angry, he will still sell musket balls and empty bullets, but he won't sell the Minishark, the Shotgun, etc. Also, there are lots of decorations available from day one! When I said decorations, I meant sinks, dressers, chandeliers, bookcases, etc. You can literally find some of the decorations in an underground house. Some banners count as decorations too. Hmm... I dunno about the guide idea. When I made this suggestion, I had to think about what the Guide could do. I was thinking that if you turned him into the WoF, he could possibly recognize you as the friend that gave him everything or the jerk who gave him nothing but a room with a table and a chair. I agree with the fact that he should always be stable, but not really about the WoF part. I agree with the 'selling special things when happy' part. I love the fact that you mentioned 'NPCs who love and hate each other', since I was actually thinking about adding that! I just thought of that idea 2 days ago lol.

Last edited:
This isn't too bad. But having an NPC leave would be harsh because what if it's the Party Girl who leaves? She's by far the worst on obtaining because she has such a low chance to spawn anyways.
I'd say if at 5%, they'll give angry messages but still sell.. at HIGHER prices, and if 0%, they leave very almost vulgar messages (but not actually), and will not even give an option to even sell anything.

Dryad-
101% : I'm almost amazed someone can be this amazing. Please keep up the work! (obvious discount, and reference to how games have a 100%+ ranking instead of just 100%)
50% : -normal stuff, nothing new-
5% : Sure the world needs saving, sure I'll sell you something, sure it'll be higher price, but don't press your luck.
0% : What a hero you turned out to be, just leave you no good slacker.

This isn't too bad. But having an NPC leave would be harsh because what if it's the Party Girl who leaves? She's by far the worst on obtaining because she has such a low chance to spawn anyways.
I'd say if at 5%, they'll give angry messages but still sell.. at HIGHER prices, and if 0%, they leave very almost vulgar messages (but not actually), and will not even give an option to even sell anything.

Dryad-
101% : I'm almost amazed someone can be this amazing. Please keep up the work! (obvious discount, and reference to how games have a 100%+ ranking instead of just 100%)
50% : -normal stuff, nothing new-
5% : Sure the world needs saving, sure I'll sell you something, sure it'll be higher price, but don't press your luck.
0% : What a hero you turned out to be, just leave you no good slacker.
Hmm... Those are actually some really good ideas! When you talked about the party girl, I realized that she's a happy person all the time as long as there's a party! So what about this: If you place a disco ball in her house, she'll never leave. As for the new messages, I'm going to go ahead and use that idea (saying you came up with it of course). Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: Added a new spoiler called 'Ideas by Commenters'. Your ideas are in it.

Last edited:
Works for me. ^_^
Glad to have helped.

Yeah, the Party Girl would technically need to become a Hardmode NPC because of this then as Disco Ball IS Hardmode light source only, and it's stated she IS the last Prehard NPC.
But that works though, most would end up getting her in Hardmode due to the last patch that changed the requirement.

If npcs did get any improvements, I think the first order of business should be to improve their AI so they can actually appreciate all those fancy houses people build instead of just getting stuck or standing in place all night. (Also, it would probably be a good idea to teach them that they can't breathe underwater anymore...)

If npcs did get any improvements, I think the first order of business should be to improve their AI so they can actually appreciate all those fancy houses people build instead of just getting stuck or standing in place all night. (Also, it would probably be a good idea to teach them that they can't breathe underwater anymore...)
Yeah, of course that should come first! I just thought that this would be a good addition along with better AI.

Also, maybe an NPC hurt by any trap YOU set, or drectely damaged by you(like rotten egg or voodoo doll) will be SIX times(not very sure about the number) more unhappy than normal.

Me: builds huge multi-npc-house with chandeliers, platforms and gold/silver bars

Arms Dealer: Gets stuck between two silver bars and paces around in circles endlessly

I support this idea!

BTW, NPCs who sell stuff, should have their happiness increased by a small percentage each time we spend more than 1 gold buying stuff from them.

Last edited:
Honestly I really enjoy the concept of this. Npc's as they currently are one of the core mechanics of Terraria but really once people have them they lose their meaning in some respect (aside from steampunker, mechanic, goblin & angler) the rest sort of just full up the place with no real impact. Having to watch over your neighbors and essentially take care of them would also add another aspect to an already enjoyable part of hardmode.

The only real downside I can see is that like most things the whole aspect could be avoided with some clever placement. Currently my npc home sits upon a raised bed of dirt (rose from the very ground by the mystical white cultist to save the last survivors of the world)... A bit of lore. It is incredibly rare to have an npc die and bosses/invasions do not reach there so the risk aspect would be lost :/

Thanks for all the good feedback! I'm adding your ideas now.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441802943,1441802468][/DOUBLEPOST]
Honestly I really enjoy the concept of this. Npc's as they currently are one of the core mechanics of Terraria but really once people have them they lose their meaning in some respect (aside from steampunker, mechanic, goblin & angler) the rest sort of just full up the place with no real impact. Having to watch over your neighbors and essentially take care of them would also add another aspect to an already enjoyable part of hardmode.

The only real downside I can see is that like most things the whole aspect could be avoided with some clever placement. Currently my npc home sits upon a raised bed of dirt (rose from the very ground by the mystical white cultist to save the last survivors of the world)... A bit of lore. It is incredibly rare to have an npc die and bosses/invasions do not reach there so the risk aspect would be lost :/
Hmm... I see what you mean. I can't think of a solution for that sadly.

Death still does happen though it is rare, one solution could be if an npc dies all the following npcs have their happiness reduced by X amount. It would make the fate of each npc just as important to the overall happiness of the others. Again like most things in game there will always be a way to work around game mechanics.

Death still does happen though it is rare, one solution could be if an npc dies all the following npcs have their happiness reduced by X amount. It would make the fate of each npc just as important to the overall happiness of the others. Again like most things in game there will always be a way to work around game mechanics.
I like that idea!

To add to that maybe npcs that are hinted to be in love (goblin tinkerer and mechanic, arms dealer and nurse) could have their happiness be decreased a bit more.
(and arms dealer loses happiness whenever any female npc dies)

Back
Top Bottom