PC [Project] Mechmod - A T-MEC community mod

Fantastic to hear you are planning to do some cosmetic changes to the mod. They always give a sense of authority.

I think a good way of doing it would be a small pop-up menu that appears next to the option or subcategory. This menu could be accessed by a small button to the right of the toggle - a ▶ symbol for categories (e.g. wire opacity) and a settings cog for option customization (e.g. godmode).

The way the animation shows it, I approve. I like its cleanliness. However, I might reconsider a true separate submenu depending on how long the list of options there are. If you plan, with Godmode, to handle each different type of buff and debuff that a player can have separately... that's a really long list of toggables. The popup will be larger than the menu itself. Also, we discussed, I think the possibility of profiles? How would you incorporate that into the pop-up menu?

Each option in the menu will be given an icon to represent it in the hotbar. As for putting toggles into the hotbar, a couple of options come to mind:
  1. Dragging a toggle directly from the menu
  2. Shift-clicking (or alt-clicking) a menu option
  3. Clicking an icon next to a menu option
A fourth option comes to mind: pressing the hotkey after selecting a menu option to reassign that hotkey to that menu option. Or is this what you mean with option 2? Shift-clicking a menu option to unlock it for hotkey assignment? Because I like that idea.

Will we actually see a hot bar at the bottom of the screen? Is that what you need icons for each toggable menu option for? If you need help, I am versed in and own photoshop/illustrator. However, I think it might be less work and require less creativity to just have the hotkey letter show up next to the toggable menu option.

Infinite ammo would be cool.
Will be added to godmode soon :)

I think it might be good to draw a distinction at this point. As much as I love the word "Godmode", perhaps it would be appropriate to change this toggle menu option to "Perma buff/debuffs", and provide a settings profile in the perma buff/debuffs submenu called godmode.

Then aspects such as infinite wire, infinite acutators, dummies and ammo could be grouped into a menu point "Infinite Resources", where what things are toggled on/off as infinite is again defined by a submenu as it is with the buffs.

I used the zoom for the first time today. Do you know the particular scalings at which pink borders around the tiles do not show? Are these screen size and resolution dependant, and if not, can we shift + and shift - to jump between these scale factors?

Last edited:
Fantastic to hear you are planning to do some cosmetic changes to the mod. They always give a sense of authority.
Thanks :3 I think so too - things are going to be much nicer looking :)
The way the animation shows it, I approve. I like its cleanliness. However, I might reconsider a true separate submenu depending on how long the list of options there are. If you plan, with Godmode, to handle each different type of buff and debuff that a player can have separately... that's a really long list of toggables. The popup will be larger than the menu itself. Also, we discussed, I think the possibility of profiles? How would you incorporate that into the pop-up menu?
Yeah. It's not designed to be too big. Keep in mind, this is only a small popup menu designed for configuring individual options; it's meant to have 4 or 5 toggles at most. We're looking at an alternative (maybe a third pane?) for larger subcategory menus.

What do you mean by profiles?
A fourth option comes to mind: pressing the hotkey after selecting a menu option to reassign that hotkey to that menu option. Or is this what you mean with option 2? Shift-clicking a menu option to unlock it for hotkey assignment? Because I like that idea.
These options were for getting a toggle into the hotbar. The first 4 hotbar options can be triggered with a hotkey (maybe more? what about Alt+#?)
Will we actually see a hot bar at the bottom of the screen? Is that what you need icons for each toggable menu option for? If you need help, I am versed in and own photoshop/illustrator. However, I think it might be less work and require less creativity to just have the hotkey letter show up next to the toggable menu option.
Yep. A visual hotbar. I'll put up a gfy tomorrow, I made some nice progress today. It: a) gives a visual indicator of what hotkey is assigned to what, and b) allows much faster access to features, which I think is definitely needed.

It would be less work - but IMO, for much less benefit. Seriously, I can just imagine myself forgetting what button does what and opening up the options then fishing through to see what is what every time I open Terraria.

Some artistic help would be amazing. At the moment, the button space is limited to 36x36 pixels, so there isn't much room for anything nice. I've barely started working on art assets, but when I do (maybe tomorrow, day after) if you're willing to help I'll send you some examples and the template!

sorryIjustlookedatthetimeIbetterfinishthisoffandsleep
I think it might be good to draw a distinction at this point. As much as I love the word "Godmode", perhaps it would be appropriate to change this toggle menu option to "Perma buff/debuffs", and provide a settings profile in the perma buff/debuffs submenu called godmode.
Godmode protects against all debuffs. It does not give any buffs. The debuffs setting is either all or nothing so that it won't clog up the menu.
Then aspects such as infinite wire, infinite acutators, dummies and ammo could be grouped into a menu point "Infinite Resources", where what things are toggled on/off as infinite is again defined by a submenu as it is with the buffs.
I was planning on something like this - it's a nice idea :p
I used the zoom for the first time today. Do you know the particular scalings at which pink borders around the tiles do not show? Are these screen size and resolution dependant, and if not, can we shift + and shift - to jump between these scale factors?
Ugh. Nope. Not really. There isn't any sort of formula for it, just try trial and error. I wouldn't reccomend using zooming right now. It's so ridiculously broken. Roughly 1/3 of the "targeted" guns, spears and things in the game don't work properly when zoomed. Both XNA and Terraria itself simply weren't built for zooming. I am going to take a look at changing the graphical settings around a bit and finding a fix .. if it's possible.

Try the experimental modes: "/z x1" and "/z x2". You may have varying results.

Goodnight :)

Godmode protects against all debuffs. It does not give any buffs. The debuffs setting is either all or nothing so that it won't clog up the menu.

Really? So Godmode isn't going to protect me from lava dmg, fall dmg, drowning, which are like permanent versions of the buffs given from certain potions or accessories? Regardless if you want to categorize these as buffs or debuffs, I think the number of options is quickly get longer than you'd think.

What options are currently planned to be included under "Godmode"? Can we make a list to see what we have, don't have, and what is up to debate?

What do you mean by profiles?

By profiles I mean a saved selection of the toggables under "Godmode" (or what I would have called "perma-buffs"). Thus Godmode would be a profile where things like walking on water, and being able to walk through enemies are chosen options. "Demonmode" would be a different profile, "Buildermode" yet another. Profiles would allow you to switch between different modes without having to toggle and untoggle all the different options.

Last edited:
Really? So Godmode isn't going to protect me from lava dmg, fall dmg, drowning, which are like permanent versions of the buffs given from certain potions or accessories? Regardless if you want to categorize these as buffs or debuffs, I think the number of options is quickly get longer than you'd think.

By profiles I mean a saved selection of the toggables under "Godmode" (or what I would have called "perma-buffs"). Thus Godmode would be a profile where things like walking on water, and being able to walk through enemies are chosen options. "Demonmode" would be a different profile, "Buildermode" yet another. Profiles would allow you to switch between different modes without having to toggle and untoggle all the different options.

The profiles idea sounds pretty cool! Godmode does protect you from all kinds of damages, including lava, fall damage, etc. You will still see the lava debuff at the top left though! :D

A "Deathlazer" would be a great feature as well.

Now that I think about this, it might not even be such a stupid idea. An instant mob kill/block breaking tool is still needed.
Deathlazer? As in, something that completely iradicates whatever you point at? No stefnotch, that's a vanilla feature! It's called the Last Prisim. :p

What options are currently planned to be included under "Godmode"? Can we make a list to see what we have, don't have, and what is up to debate?
Infinite health protects against any kind of damage. Debuff protection will simply mean that the player can not get debuffs. Even with debuff protection disabled, directly damaging debuffs (like On Fire!, Venom, etc) will have no effect.

Ahh ... I see! Just to clarify again: Godmode is a setting in itself. It can be directly toggled on or off. The settings under Godmode dictate how it behaves. When Godmode is turned off, those settings do nothing.

I like the idea of profiles! It'll be something to consider :D

Also: What do you think of a menu category filled with miscellaneous toggles to be put on a hotbar? I'm thinking of one-off actions that won't work with a toggle label (as the menu is currently filled with) like a button to set the time to day/night, save or reload world (useful for those of you editing in TEdit at the same time), kill all monsters, give the player a buff, that sort of thing. Hypothetically these items could be dragged to the hotbar to save and activate at a moment's notice, or, if it's something hat you only want to use once, click it to execute the action immediately.

Infinite health protects against any kind of damage.

No? I asked a while ago and @Bahamut2001 responded:

I noticed from an earlier build, that you still burn and drown. Prolly the same for other debuffs, too, but most of them are applied 'on hit' so you wouldn't get them in god mode. Or so I thought, then I tested it and it turns out you DO get debuffs even if you don't get hit.

which started this whole discussion on debuffs.

Just to clarify again: Godmode is a setting in itself. It can be directly toggled on or off. The settings under Godmode dictate how it behaves. When Godmode is turned off, those settings do nothing.

How to explain? Godmode is a menu profile. It is a setting of settings. It is not a toggable or menu point with settings of its own. In choosing the Godmode profile from the profile menu, you set toggables and options in the menu and across multiple menu points to particular values. After choosing the Godmode profile, you can still tweak the options of the menu to your liking. Repeatedly choosing the Godmode profile from the profile menu will just continually reset menu options to values as defined by the profile "Godmode". Godmode is a preset profile of the game. After customizing the menu options to your liking, you should be able to save these settings as a user-defined profile. In game you can toggle between playing vanilla or with a menu profile as chosen in the profile menu if you assign the "Player Profile" menu point to hotkey of the hotbar.

Also: What do you think of a menu category filled with miscellaneous toggles to be put on a hotbar? I'm thinking of one-off actions that won't work with a toggle label (as the menu is currently filled with) like a button to set the time to day/night, save or reload world (useful for those of you editing in TEdit at the same time), kill all monsters, give the player a buff, that sort of thing. Hypothetically these items could be dragged to the hotbar to save and activate at a moment's notice, or, if it's something hat you only want to use once, click it to execute the action immediately.

Sure, sounds fine.

Why not make it so you can make presets by selecting whatever settings you want and saving them to a menu button or hotkey so you can switch between customizable groups of settings rather than going through the menu. You could maybe add a group of buttons to the bottom edge of the inventory screen similar to the vanilla settings button labeled "Preset 1, Preset 2" and so on. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do this but I think it could be well worth it to be able to quickly switch between a full God Mode setting and something closer to normal vanilla survival without having to change all the individual settings manually.

Last edited:
No? I asked a while ago and @Bahamut2001 responded: which started this whole discussion on debuffs.
Sorry :p It was intended to. After this upcoming update, with Infinite Health all sources of damage will be nullified (or at least they're meant to be. We'll be taking a much cleaner approach this time which should show better results).
How to explain? Godmode is a menu profile. It is a setting of settings. It is not a toggable or menu point with settings of its own. In choosing the Godmode profile from the profile menu, you set toggables and options in the menu and across multiple menu points to particular values. After choosing the Godmode profile, you can still tweak the options of the menu to your liking. Repeatedly choosing the Godmode profile from the profile menu will just continually reset menu options to values as defined by the profile "Godmode". Godmode is a preset profile of the game. After customizing the menu options to your liking, you should be able to save these settings as a user-defined profile. In game you can toggle between playing vanilla or with a menu profile as chosen in the profile menu if you assign the "Player Profile" menu point to hotkey of the hotbar.
Yep! I see what you're saying. Would you rather that than the subsubmenu option? It just feels ... clunky ...
Why not make it so you can make presets by selecting whatever settings you want and saving them to a menu button or hotkey so you can switch between customizable groups of settings rather than going through the menu. You could maybe add a group of buttons to the bottom edge of the inventory screen similar to the vanilla settings button labeled "Preset 1, Preset 2" and so on. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do this but I think it could be well worth it to be able to quickly switch between a full God Mode setting and something closer to normal vanilla survival without having to change all the individual settings manually.
Yeah, similar to what @inomanoms is saying :p I do like the idea, and it probably will be implemented, however I'm still just wondering: is it better to have Godmode as it's own setting? You could still make your own Godmode profile with Godmode enabled (w/ everything enabled for maximum judgement), but it just seems cleaner.

Edit: I just looked at the Gameiki mod's website (I'd never heard of it before starting this mod). It's pretty neat! Much more professional than our silly thing lol.

Two things: 1) Their hotbar has some useful options in it. I guess Mechmod's is aimed at being something similar, but much more customizable (and not as nice looking).
2) Who's interested in: a) Multiplayer support and b) a full-on inventory editor?

Last edited:
Yep! I see what you're saying. Would you rather that than the subsubmenu option? It just feels ... clunky ...

Yeah... I don't know. Maybe the idea of profiles is overkill. I think the Mod should specifically be geared toward facilitating in-game engineering. In this way, the Mechmod can distinguish itself from a mod like Gameiki (other than the fact that Gameiki was developed by many authors--that's stiff competition). It also might put into question some of the features we're planning.

Its a good test to ask of every feature: is this needed for better Terraria engineering. I am not interested in either a or b.
[DOUBLEPOST=1453612996,1453611374][/DOUBLEPOST]Do us a favour. Type out the menu in its entirety and how you guys plan to organize it (all planned features with hierarchy)

hello @five--three and @stefnotch , I have been following the progress of the mod and it is amazing and I'm glad it has not been abandoned like some previous mods. high-five :)
I would like the multi-player and full inventory editor. This would enable some fast creation for different play-throughs and multiplayer plays.
I don't see this mod as only "x" as it has been gradually growing from user input and the community and your willingness to listen and add to it. If some only want an engineering mod, you have created a great deal for that and if using the future hot-bar, people can toggle on/off what they want for their play-style. Love the idea of a customizable hot-bar too! I never used Gameiki as it seemed only for cheating, not for in-game creation.

I always imagined Terraria's last update would be a creative mode, the ultimate creation tool for an awesome game. I'm not assuming this is what Red's vision is or will be, but just my thoughts.

Thanks again for the continued support and creation.

Last edited:
hello @five--three , I have been following the progress of the mod and it is amazing and I'm glad it has not been abandoned like some previous mods. high-five :)
I would like the multi-player and full inventory editor. This would enable some fast creation for different play-throughs and multiplayer plays.
I don't see this mod as only "x" as it has been gradually growing from user input and the community and your willingness to listen and add to it. If some only want an engineering mod, you have created a great deal for that and if using the future hot-bar, people can toggle on/off what they want for their play-style. Love the idea of a customizable hot-bar too! I never used Gameiki as it seemed only for cheating, not for in-game creation.

I always imagined Terraria's last update would be a creative mode, the ultimate creation tool for an awesome game. I'm not assuming this is what Red's vision is or will be, but just my thoughts.

The mod should work on multiplayer, though there might be a few bugs. (And, you might be able to totally abuse the mod. Psst)

Thanks for the positive feedback!
[DOUBLEPOST=1453630280,1453625498][/DOUBLEPOST]@inomanoms
I am versed in and own photoshop/illustrator

Would you mind creating a "copy icon" and a "paste icon"? Or should I just use those icons: Cursor_9.png Cursor_8.png (I am adding some copy-paste buttons)

Also, a teleport icon would be nice, but I could just use the Rod Of Discord, right?

Image size: Below a Terrabyte, my harddisk isn't that large.
Color space: Please attempt to keep it inside the milky way and the visible light spectrum.
File extension: None, I hate installing extensions.

Ok, kidding. :p
32 x 32 with 2 x 2 pixels. (Like that icon:Camera_0.png), color space doesn't matter and a .png file would be nice.
I won't necessarily need a teleport icon.

Yeah... I don't know. Maybe the idea of profiles is overkill. I think the Mod should specifically be geared toward facilitating in-game engineering. In this way, the Mechmod can distinguish itself from a mod like Gameiki (other than the fact that Gameiki was developed by many authors--that's stiff competition). It also might put into question some of the features we're planning.

Its a good test to ask of every feature: is this needed for better Terraria engineering. I am not interested in either a or b.
Do us a favour. Type out the menu in its entirety and how you guys plan to organize it (all planned features with hierarchy)
Sure ... that was the original intention of that, but I feel that this mod has grown from that already. It's gone from a mod with a couple of small neat features to help Engineering in Terraria to something much larger. I was thinking of releasing it to the rest of the forums and /r/Terraria as well. Is it a bad thing to have features beyond the original scope of the mod?

What exactly are you referring to there? Please note, most of the mini writeups I do are purely just my conceptual thoughts at the time of posting. Things change regularly.
hello @five--three and @stefnotch , I have been following the progress of the mod and it is amazing and I'm glad it has not been abandoned like some previous mods. high-five :)

Hi :p Thanks alot for the kind words, it means a lot :3

@inomanoms and @thejaxster: Multiplayer /kinda/ works anyway, but is pretty open to abuse and cheating. Multiplayer support would mean ironing out the few bugs that probably exist within multiplayer (e.g. us not checking Main.netMode enough lol) and also enforcing that Mechmod can only connect to Mechmod servers (mainly for cheat protection)
Goodnight all!

Edit: whoops, I stuffed up formatting there.

Last edited:
Is it a bad thing to have features beyond the original scope of the mod?

No.

Does it make sense to have features beyond the original scope of the mod, that have already been implemented in other mods and are, in part, the exclusive subject of programs such as a map editor?

That's a matter of opinion.

Does it make sense to extend yourself outside the complement of features that deal with engineering when those features haven't been fully implemented yet and form the core of the your build?

... no.

the menu
What exactly are you referring to there? Please note, most of the mini writeups I do are purely just my conceptual thoughts at the time of posting. Things change regularly.

I mean type up the menu. The way the user will encounter it when he/she clicks Settings. Post it to the OP. Colour code planned and implemented features. I know the features are in a constant flux of decision making. That's kind of the point of typing up the menu: oversight and discussion.

Last edited:
No.

Does it make sense to have features beyond the original scope of the mod, that have already been implemented in other mods and are, in part, the exclusive subject of programs such as a map editor?

That's a matter of opinion.

Does it make sense to extend yourself outside the complement of features that deal with engineering when those features haven't been fully implemented yet and form the core of the your build?

... no.
You do have valid points. That makes sense.
I don't think I've said this enough, so again, thankyou so much for your assistance in this thread. This is the first project that I've really released been actively updating and maintaining, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Looking back, there are a few more things that should be cleaned up. Thanks :p

I mean type up the menu. The way the user will encounter it when he/she clicks Settings. Post it to the OP. Colour code planned and implemented features. I know the features are in a constant flux of decision making. That's kind of the point of typing up the menu, though: oversight and discussion.
Okay. This is how the menu is currently. I'll edit this as I add things. There will probably be a submenu/subcategory for Infinite Resources here (containing infinite wire,actuators,likely ammo,and consumables)a

Cheats
Infinite wire: disabled - enabled
Infinite actuators: disabled - enabled
Godmode: disabled - enabled
Infinite Health
Infinite Mana
Normal placing limits - No placing limits
UFO Speed: 100% [Slider] 0%
Reset UFO Speed

Wiring
Red wire affected by light - Red wire unaffected by light
Blue wire affected by light - Blue wire unaffected by light
Green wire affected by light - Green wire unaffected by light
Actuators affected by light - Actuators unaffected by light
Red: 100% [slider] 0%
Blue: 100% [slider] 0%
Green: 100% [slider] 0%
Actuators: 100% [slider] 0%
Conditionally Show Wires - Always Show Wires
Wrenches highlight wire - Wrenches don't highlight wire

Ghosts
Dummy ghosts: disabled - enabled
Ghosts are affected by light - Ghosts are unaffected by light
Dummy ghosts not outlined - Dummy ghosts outlined in red
Dummies spawn when activated - Dummies spawn on world load
Kill wayward ghosts
Ghost brightness: 100% [slider] 0%
Hide dummy IDs - Show dummy IDs
Hide ghost feet - Show ghost feet

Hotbar (replacing Keyboard)
Rebind Hotkeys
Hotkey 1: O
Hotkey 2: P
Hotkey 3: K
Hotkey 4: L
Hotbar Color: 1-8

Currently WIP here is a `misc toggle menu`. I'm working on a few things that this requires first.

Other
Reset all MechMod settings
Inventory button hidden - Inventory button enabled
Color: 1-8
Clouds - No clouds
Also, secret options appear here. There's only one right now and the code is commented out anyway, but just for future reference.
Close Menu

MechMod v.1.31.0

Back
Top Bottom