Official New Terraria Toy Line - Your Feedback Needed!

How should the new line of Terraria-based toys be made?

• Detailed, Static "Statues" that work best as collectibles for display

Votes: 157 66.2%
  • Action figures with some level of articulation (limb movement) that would work better for "play"

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • No real preference

Votes: 32 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you were looking at something that can be both static AND adjustable, you might want to check out the Four Horsemen: www.sourcehorsemen.com for possible contacts & inspiration. (some toys HERE)

They are a simply fantastic group of toymakers/artizans- I have one of their Raven Warriors and couldn't be happier with the product- spot-on sculpting & paint application, and very reasonable pricing. Full kudos from me!

I would like to see some figures that actually look like they are from the game, not some concept art for an armor. I love the pixelated look of terraria, and would love to somehow replicate it in real life

I think some plastic or cardboard background drops, action figure Terrarians and monsters, a set of the slimes with a rare pink slime and maybe keychain pieces of boss trophies would be pretty cool.

As long as you avoid those hideous blocky Minecraft-esque Terraria figures from before I think you'll do fine.

Personally, I think you should make it look somewhat how this picture by PersonaTea is portrayed:
ConceptArt.png

But it should be like a figure with bendable arms, legs, head, feet, removable weapons, ect. and a peg on the foot to remove the figure (Maybe even the Hellbat, who knows?) from the little biome base. So people can play with it like a real toy, or give the figure a heroic pose like collectible. Everyone wins!

Personally, I think you should make it look somewhat how this picture by PersonaTea is portrayed:
View attachment 104575
But it should be like a figure with bendable arms, legs, head, feet, removable weapons, ect. and a peg on the foot to remove the figure (Maybe even the Hellbat, who knows?) from the little biome base. So people can play with it like a real toy, or give the figure a heroic pose like collectible. Everyone wins!

nice pic and description.

@Loki @Cenx @Redigit

I think a "realistic" or a "blocky/pixely" product would actually do a disservice to fans and collectors both young and old. Either distinction tends to alienate either group. The pixel style rendered for toys only really appeals to younger audiences, while realism (I feel) doesn't do the game any sort of justice; it just doesn't fit.

I don't think there should be a decision between static collectibles and articulated action figures; I feel both will do very well IF... if you get the look right.

Honestly, I'm surprised you guys aren't going in the "Disney Infinity" direction:

I'm not saying "Use THIS style". But as an example; Disney Infinity is both played with by younger audiences, and collected by older audiences. The style of "toy" allows them to fill a multitude of roles. I feel Terraria product development can benefit a great deal by looking to DI as an influence.

I'm late to the party, as always, but this is basically what I wanted to say. To me a super-realistic style would be as unappealing as the "Minecraft" style of the current line. I wouldn't like either one, and really hope you guys will split the difference somewhat between the two extremes.

View attachment 104575
That looks amazing

this poll is missing an option, there are a lot of poseable statues that aren't rigid, but are more detailed and rigid than action figures, they are exceptionally common in japan for various anime fandoms. i don't see why there isn't just an "in between" option, also while i personally loathe the jazwares terraria toys, i really like the minecraft figures because they could be posed and displayed in "scenes". rather fun actually assembling a diorama using them since they are accurate to the game

i'd like terraria toys that suit the style, but can be posed and arranged to set up scenes with

I'm with others here, in that any Terraria toy would be great ifwe can shift the style away from the minecraft/voxel style. For one, it's really inaccurate at the best of times, and for another thing, it represents Terraria as just riding the coat tails of Minecraft which this game hasn't been for a long time. Could use some toys that actually try to represent the sprites accurately as well as artistically, though articulation wouldn't really go there as so few things in Terraria really have complex somatic actions.

If you were looking at something that can be both static AND adjustable, you might want to check out the Four Horsemen: www.sourcehorsemen.com for possible contacts & inspiration. (some toys HERE)

They are a simply fantastic group of toymakers/artizans- I have one of their Raven Warriors and couldn't be happier with the product- spot-on sculpting & paint application, and very reasonable pricing. Full kudos from me!

How well is is balanced?

Oh man. An ultra-detailed, "realistic", premium quality, painted metal, multi-jointed Destroyer! That would be an insanely awesome collectable to own (and probably insanely expensive collectable to produce.)
other than the metal bit, it probably wouldn't be that hard. i have a multi-segmented wooden snake toy that bends similarly to the way the destroyer does.

Personally I would love to have some realistic ones, but I am someone who works in a realistic style. I mainly collect adjustable figurers, put them in a pose, and place them somewhere to show them off (and every so often play with). I'd love to have that with some Terraria stuff, but the blockly stuff we have now is just doesn't look right for me.

Greetings, Terrarians!

We know you are all eagerly awaiting 1.3.1 and/or various other game-related updates - and we plan to have more for you on that soon(tm), so stay tuned. In the mean time, we would like to share a bit of news on the merchandise end and then ask you all for your preference/opinion on what direction we should take things. So, without further ado, let's launch right into things!

As you all know, we have had Terraria toys from Jazwares on the market since the Fall/Winter of 2014. These have had mixed reactions from the community, with them being popular with our younger fanbase and substantially less so with our older customers. This is something we have definitely taken note of at Re-Logic, and we have advocated for a second line that would be more tied to the tastes of that second group. The great news is that this is now something that is underway! We have attached some preliminary concept art below of a player in Shadow Armor. Don't get too wrapped up in all of the details of the artwork here - the goal is more just to give a sense for what this is (a more "realistic" figure contrasted with the blockier designs that we currently have).

Besides just showing this off to you guys and letting you know that we are working on something that may be of interest to portions of our fanbase that are not interested in the current toys, we would like your take on one facet of this toy line: level of articulation. Essentially, should we make these into cool, detailed, static collectible "statues" that you can proudly display on your desk, mantle, dashboard, and wherever else you show off awesome things OR should we make these in more of an "action figure" style akin to old school Star Wars figures (as just one example)? Those may be less detailed, but would be more easily played with.

We have debated it internally and we can honestly see the appeal of both - and so we really want to hear from you to help us decide! So, please participate in our poll above and leave any other thoughts that you may have in this thread. We will keep the poll open for a couple of weeks, read over your comments, and then give Jazwares a direction to take this that will hopefully meet the needs of everyone.

The poll will remain open for a couple of weeks.

Thanks as always for your amazing support - we look forward to bringing you some pretty amazing things this year and beyond, so stay tuned!

I think it looks great. `;)

I think it'd be super cool to see highly detailed versions of the characters from the game, so I'm gonna go with statues

I have a suggestion instead of you guys making the same old shadow armor, gold armor dude what about making a realistic terra blade turtle armor man or something I know that would interest me, so there you go a suggestion! :)

Back
Top Bottom