Terraria Community Forums

Bezixx
Bezixx
What's all about this hurricane? I'm not too well informed.
Bethany
Bethany
Hurricane Joachim. It hit the Bahamas hard and was forecast to strike the US east coast. We've had days of heavy rain here (eastern Virginia) but it looks as if the hurricane won't get us directly. Lots of flooding around here even without it. We're used to floods. http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?id=ww_flood
Bezixx
Bezixx
Well that's bad. Good that this hurricane passed by and you're in one piece.
Bethany
Bethany
Yuppers, that's sufficient. The rest we can deal with.
Bezixx
Bezixx
Well, it also depends if you are living in a big city or a small one/village.
Bethany
Bethany
We're at Pony Pasture Rapids at the edge of a fairly large city — Richmond, the capital of Virginia. People who live closer to the river have homes raised on piliings and such. We're a little above the 500-year floodplain so there's very little risk of our house getting flooded.
Bezixx
Bezixx
Ah, this. Such a shame that my country doesn't use much of these and most of the floods end with homeless people.
Bethany
Bethany
They're expensive to build, unfortunately. Only people wealthier than we are can afford fancy elevated houses. Non-millionaires around here just don't build too near the river. There's not much land available anyway, the city has made big stretches of river shore into (mostly undeveloped) parks. Pony Pasture Park gets completely submerged a few times in most years.
Bezixx
Bezixx
My country can afford none at all, unfortunately. And most of it is filled with villages or smaller cities, add some bigger rivers and that's pretty much it. Good that you have something like this in there.
Bethany
Bethany
I'm sorry to hear that. Where do you live, if you don't mind saying? There's no need to answer if you feel it would violate your privacy, and you needn't be specific.
Bezixx
Bezixx
Poland. Most of money here goes for uncessesary things or "aiding" other countries when we need money the most.
Bethany
Bethany
Ah, what a beautiful country! You deserve good things. I hope that life in Poland will improve as the world climbs out of our economic crater. Stay strong, friend, and keep the faith.
Back
Top Bottom