Terraria Community Forums

Sugars
Sugars
It's always cliche. :red: me.
Jack Morgan
Jack Morgan
That's true. Every idea has already been done before because it's good, or it hasn't because it's bad. 'Tis up to you to put a good spin to the cliches.
Sugars
Sugars
Yeah. Speaking of which, sometimes I literally get ideas from tvtropes.org. Lol.
Jack Morgan
Jack Morgan
It's a good resource. You just have to do a cliche in a way that hasn't been done before. TVtropes can generally help you understand how to give a fresh attempt at something that's been done before.
Warpshard
Warpshard
Aside from the Badass lawyer, that sounds like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Of course, Arthur catches on really quickly, so you can't really call him oblivious.
aWolfen
aWolfen
My OC's story is literally the plot of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, but with more gay people and furries.
Aesir
Aesir
Honestly, I got no clue on which character I'll make a protagonist. I have made quite a few, but didn't choose the protagonist yet. There's a wandering man who is a renegade god, an omnipotent bodisatva-like deity and 4 high authorities.
Sugars
Sugars
You know what. I'll write a little snippet to show you guys. With more swearing because I'm not at school!
aWolfen
aWolfen
And yet equal amounts of harmonica.
Warpshard
Warpshard
It is impossible to have too much harmonica.
Sugars
Sugars
Also, all of the characters are protagonists except for the lawyer. I haven't decided his role yet. The human space traveler is the primary protagonist because the story is written in a first-person present-tense narrative from his perspective.

@aWolfen What's that about a harmonica? Is that a reference to something?
Aesir
Aesir
I don't think omnipotent beings serve well as protagonists. I won't make my only two omnipotent characters villains, though. I guess I'll leave them as neutral.
XenoCat
XenoCat
Am I the space traveling protagonist
I hope so
Warpshard
Warpshard
Omnipotent beings are good side characters that just screw stuff up for the main characters. In my head, Primus and Unicron (Gods of Transformers) are more or less pranksters that make life difficult for the main characters by randomly inviting random disciples and heralds to the Collective to make life a little more action-packed.
Sugars
Sugars
@XenoCat NO. It's Edward. (ha what a nerd, his parents must've hated him)
XenoCat
XenoCat
:c
Kidding, good luck writing it
Sugars
Sugars
Already being done.
Aesir
Aesir
The characters are siblings. They influence the plot not by their omnipotence (since they never really show it) but by their overall behaviour. My story revolves a lot on the motif of "gods being flawed/human" and those two are no exception. One of them enjoys fighting so he always holds back and only fights at his opponent's level. The other does that because he's fair.
Sugars
Sugars
I think anything with infinite power is a stupid as :red: idea, even as a plot device. Something has to have limits or a conflict involving it either is so quickly and easily solved it's boring, or never ends. When a character is both unlikable and unbeatable (protagonists especially), I lose my :red: and throw the book across the room.
Aesir
Aesir
That's when my story breaks that cliché. The omnipotent characters actually lose from time to time, because of personality flaws or other factors. One of them loses against a villain for being lawfully stupid, playing fair and square and fighting on par with the villain. The other lost for being too enraged and losing control of the fight.
Back
Top Bottom