Terraria Community Forums

Graydee
Graydee
People are trying to be the next thorium when they should be focusing on one individual area.
Eli10293
Eli10293
Most "general expansion" mods can't even do it right
Xylia
Xylia
Everybody has their ideas, and some people have enough ideas to make a "general expansion mod". I don't see anything wrong with that. If you got ideas, stick em in a mod! If you have enough of them, well... you get stuff like Thorium. I like there being a variety so you can choose one or more.
Xylia
Xylia
Didn't really care for Tremor hailing Satan for example in one of the tooltips, nor do I like the controversy surrounding them, so I started playing Thorium there for awhile. Then, I tried Calamity... and I hear there's a few more that are getting good too. It's nice to have variety, keeps me playing Terraria.
Graydee
Graydee
There are obviously success stories (such as thorium, spirit, calamity, etc), but the market of "general expansions" is so oversaturated its more refreshing to do focused content.
Xylia
Xylia
To each their own, I say. That's the amazing thing about having a good modding scene. Pick-n-mix your content to your pleasure. Your Terraria is different than mine, etc. But we should all have fun either way.
Vaikyia
Vaikyia
Mate, Graydee, you're treating this like some kinda area of business when in reality it's just a group of young adults wanting to make a good mod for people to enjoy. Literally bottom-of-the-barrel modding since tModLoader has made it so easy to learn.

General expansion mods have been around since tConfig, and they're talked about everyday by almost everyone in the community. People are going to get inspired.
Vaikyia
Vaikyia
You practically signed up for being around a ton of them when you got into the modding community. It's better to spend your time actually helping some of those rising mods than to make them feel like they aren't wanted.
Graydee
Graydee
I'm not saying general expansion mods are bad by concept, or even by practice. But the fact that so many mods (definetly over 100 at this point) serve the same purpose irks me a bit.
Graydee
Graydee
Also I do help a lot of mods. A lot of which are general expansion mods. But variety is something that I crave.
Xylia
Xylia
Well, again, some people have a good collection of ideas for weapons, items, and even bosses... so they add em in a mod. It's better to download one mod that adds 50 weapons and 5 bosses, rather than downloading 10+ mods that do the same thing, right?
Graydee
Graydee
Except for the fact that most general expansion mods will end up adding a lot of the same content. You can't blame the mods themselves, but how many mods have nights edge type gear? It doesn't overlap the cleanest.

Or what if someone only wants one area? They have to download the other things as well, no?
Graydee
Graydee
Vaikyia
Vaikyia
>no both option

:mad:
Graydee
Graydee
The reason theres no "both" option, is because there's a certain level of desision of that for any starting modmaker.
Xylia
Xylia
if I were to have the knowledge and the skills to make a mod, I would make a mod, simply, my mod with whatever ideas I had for said mod. I wouldn't slap any labels on it, other than maybe "Xylia's mod" and plainly tell people what the mod contains. If -you- think it's a "expansion mod", that's ok. But I'm not going to label it as such, regardless how much or what kind of content it does, or does not have.
Dark-Assassin
Dark-Assassin
And this is why I don't do general expansion mods, just mechanic altering mods mainly.
If mods are going to be an expansion mod, they need to have a bunch of unique content rather than the same recycled vanilla style stuff with different stats and sprites. WeaponOut and GRealm add a bunch of unique stuff. Too bad the latter isn't updated yet.
Xylia
Xylia
The "big expansion mods" do add unique weapons, and a lot of them add new bosses too, that actually do have new mechanics, though..
Back
Top Bottom