• PC NEWS: 1.4.2.3 update is out! More info here. Report bugs here
  • CONSOLE 1.4 LAUNCHES SEP 30: The official launch date for Journey's End to arrive on Xbox and PlayStation is September 30th! Click here for more info. The plan is to have the update on Switch out later this year. Stay up to date with console news here.
  • MOBILE NEWS: Stay up to date with the latest mobile news here. Report mobile bugs here

Terraria Community Forums

MACMAN2003
MACMAN2003
What do you mean by that?
Necrius
Necrius
I've been thinking that I can't take Terraria seriously. I'd say it's been a major issue in indie games for a long time - they're too blatant with memes and shout-outs towards other indies or gaming classics, making easter eggs mundane. And all this merchandise and friggin product placement make me feel uneasy.
Athrisir
Athrisir
What?

Terraria is absolutely not just a compilation of memes. Sure there's a few references and jokes, but that's not the entire game. It's supposed to just be a quirky, fun sandbox-survival game. Sure the official toys and animated series were god awful, but the yoyos are high quality, and are in the game because Red himself enjoys throwing.
Necrius
Necrius
That "quirkiness and fun" are exactly what I'm concerned with. I haven't seen a single 2D sandbox that takes itself seriously. All quirky and campy fun.
MACMAN2003
MACMAN2003
Games are supposed to entertain people, and the person who is playing can shape the reality of the game, so you could play terraria as a quirky and funny guy or you could play terraria as someone who takes the game seriously, sure there are a few jokes here and there but that adds to the fun of playing terraria. And if that does not sound good to you, you could always wait (im)patiently for terraria otherworld.
Necrius
Necrius
And if it stays "quirky"? I want something more subtle. And no, you can't shape reality of the game. All you can shape is the world and yourself.
MACMAN2003
MACMAN2003
There are mods that can shape the reality of the game. There is not really anything wrong with quirky stuff, I mean like terraria became popular BECAUSE of it. Terraria's just a game, you shouldn't take it seriously because it's just there to entertain people.
Top Bottom