Terraria Community Forums

TCRanch
TCRanch
Lol if your suspenced imagine how I feel! 58% 98.8 gigs 181 infected files.
Bucket
Bucket
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
After reading all this, here's what I can say:

- Find someone who can take your laptop apart and then put it back together, or learn how to do it yourself. Blowing into it won't do a thing. The fact it overheats quickly may be an indication that there's a lot of dust inside it.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
- Get a good antivirus. Panda and AVG are the opposite of a good antivirus. Avast or Kaspersky should do the trick, even in free trial version.
- Don't just trust an anti-virus. Use an anti-malware, like MalwareBytes or Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool to check for things AVs won't find/overlook.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
- Running the AV/AM alone often isn't enough - most modern malware has failsafes. Registry entry keys, hidden .dll files, even hidden directories. If you don't want to have to pay others to fix the inevitable malware sneak-in, you should learn how to do it yourself.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
If you are online often, use sites which have ads without an adblocker/scriptblocker and don't scan your computer at least once a week, though, then you're always going to have viruses in your HDD. Overheating and the viruses are different problems.
TCRanch
TCRanch
@Razor Knight thanks! When I get the money, I will probably take it in to get cleansed. I do use ad-blocking and do quick scans once a week. From now on, I will probably clean my desk twice a week and do a full scan once a month.
TCRanch
TCRanch
So for now everything seems fine. Scan finished and computer needs rebooted. Moms watching shows now so will reboot when I get a chance.
TCRanch
TCRanch
okay. scared again. with a fan blowing on it the computer shut down again. now im updating avast and gonna do a quick check and if something seems suspicious gonna do another full system check. pray that all goes well guys!
TCRanch
TCRanch
@Razor Knight can you tell me more about kapersky? my mom doesn't trust anything right now, and because she doesn't know any of yall, she doesn't want to just up and download another unknown program. so can you tell me ore about it?
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
Eh, I'm not even sure there's a free version anymore, but it's a much better anti-virus than the average stuff. I have both Avast and Kaspersky installed (I have 8 GB so memory use isn't an issue) and they seem to cover up for each other's weakness. I've only tried the free versions, though, but the paid ones should do their job better.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
Also, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is something that can be run from an external device (and should be run from it) and it checks for viruses and malware normal anti-virus either ignore (not dangerous enough, on their own) or don't know about.
TCRanch
TCRanch
I have 3 gigs of ram and 320 of normal memory. But now, after updating avast, and resting the computer, the disk check happened. It went to file 260216 and so far is just scrolling down saying every file after that is unreadable currently at 290000 of 303000 files. Cont.
TCRanch
TCRanch
Sigh. It probably my fault. Dangit I hate myself so much right now. 293000 now. It's probably because I always clicked on all the imgurs ans stuff people would post. I'm such an idiot. It won't happen again. After this I'm gonna do some major research cont.
TCRanch
TCRanch
On checking files and removing corrupt items myself. Gonna learn how to prevent this from happening and if it does, fix it without having to rely on others.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
I'm fortunate to be old enough that I learnt how to :red: around with computers before computers were any close to how they are today. Also, HDD corruption isn't related to viruses, hard disk drives aren't eternal, with a lot of luck and responsible use you can make them last for five or six years.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
Of course, I'm talking only from the desktop side, I've never seen *any* advantage to laptop computers. They're slower, their parts cost a :red:load more than desktop parts, the monitors are small as :red: (size does matter more and more the older you get, eyesight is not eternal either,) and they overheat way too easily.
TCRanch
TCRanch
Yeah we could only have a laptop. Plus I'm the same age as you, if your profile age is right, and I have no where near the same knowledge you do. I want a good desktop but our house is too small for one and we don't have the money to get it. The disk check has finished with 40000 files unreadable. Now it's trying to delete an orphan file whatever that is.
Kyouko Tsukino
Kyouko Tsukino
"Orphan files" are files which aren't linked to the registry at all. Possibly a lost or corrupt file.
TCRanch
TCRanch
Still trying to delete it. 28333 is the file number, which I'm sure doesn't matter considering it could be any file.
Back
Top Bottom